CIA assessment: Russia helped Trump win & Senate knew it

Lani

CIA assessment: Russia helped Trump win & Senate knew it

Post #1 by Lani » Fri Dec 09, 2016 9:32 pm

Breaking Friday night news.

Secret CIA assessment says Russia was trying to help Trump win White House
The CIA has concluded in a secret assessment that Russia intervened in the 2016 election to help Donald Trump win the presidency, rather than just to undermine confidence in the U.S. electoral system, according to officials briefed on the matter.

Intelligence agencies have identified individuals with connections to the Russian government who provided WikiLeaks with thousands of hacked emails from the Democratic National Committee and others, including Hillary Clinton’s campaign chairman, according to U.S. officials. Those officials described the individuals as actors known to the intelligence community and part of a wider Russian operation to boost Trump and hurt Clinton’s chances.

“It is the assessment of the intelligence community that Russia’s goal here was to favor one candidate over the other, to help Trump get elected,” said a senior U.S. official briefed on an intelligence presentation made to U.S. senators. “That’s the consensus view.”
:snippity:
The CIA shared its latest assessment with key senators in a closed-door briefing on Capitol Hill last week, in which agency officials cited a growing body of intelligence from multiple sources. Agency briefers told the senators it was now “quite clear” that electing Trump was Russia’s goal, according to the officials, who spoke on the condition of anonymity to discuss intelligence matters.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/na ... 257880a609

More leaks are spilling out tonight - stay tuned!

Insert signature here: ____________________________________________________

Orlylicious

Re: CIA assessment: Russia tried to help Trump win & Senate knew it

Post #2 by Orlylicious » Fri Dec 09, 2016 9:35 pm

Jennifer Palmieri ‏@jmpalmieri 1m1 minute ago
Soul crushing are the only words I have. Can barely stand to read the story.

Matea Gold @mateagold
BREAKING: Secret CIA assessment says Russia was trying to help Trump win White House http://wpo.st/RCnK2

Marc E. Elias ‏@marceelias 2h2 hours ago
Russia interfered with our elections in order to elect Donald Trump. The media dismissed this pre-election & should be ashamed.

Marc E. Elias ‏@marceelias 2h2 hours ago
Dear Reporters who pre-11/8 dismissed that Russia was trying to help Trump, come forward and now publicly apologize to your readers.

MAJORITYRULE ‏@progresvforever 11m11 minutes ago
Electors may have their best excuse to change their votes now .TREASON #trump

Col. Morris Davis ‏@ColMorrisDavis 1h1 hour ago
.@realDonaldTrump had FBI, @FoxNews, Wikileaks, KKK & Russia, yet @HillaryClinton got 2.7M more votes (4.25% more).

From Michael Moore: RESISTANCE CALENDAR! A one-stop site for all anti-Trump actions EVERY DAY nationwide: http://resistancecalendar.org

Reality Check

Post #3 by Reality Check » Fri Dec 09, 2016 9:39 pm

So is it proper etiquette to refer to refer to Trump voters as Comrades now?

"“If you’re not outraged, you’re not paying attention.”

Heather Heyer, November 2016

Estiveo

Post #4 by Estiveo » Fri Dec 09, 2016 9:51 pm

Reality Check wrote:So is it proper etiquette to refer to refer to Trump voters as Comrades now?

Da.

"Moths are velvety-soft abominations attracted to light." --Puck, reporter from Breaking Cat News

Lani

Post #5 by Lani » Fri Dec 09, 2016 9:55 pm

Estiveo wrote:
Reality Check wrote:So is it proper etiquette to refer to refer to Trump voters as Comrades now?

Da.

I have a number of choice words for them. :evil:

GreatGrey

Post #6 by GreatGrey » Fri Dec 09, 2016 10:08 pm

Mitch McConnell flushed the future of human civilization down the toilet so his wife could make $205,700.

I am not "someone upthread".
Trump needs to be smashed into some kind of inedible orange pâté.

RoadScholar

Post #7 by RoadScholar » Fri Dec 09, 2016 10:15 pm

Estiveo wrote:

Da.

Da, kanyeshna.

The bitterest truth is healthier than the sweetest lie.

Suranis

Post #8 by Suranis » Fri Dec 09, 2016 10:38 pm

GreatGrey wrote:Mitch McConnell flushed the future of human civilization down the toilet so his wife could make $205,700.

Seems like a fair trade.

"I think its pretty troubling when a backyard decoration comes out swinging harder against Nazis than the President of the United States." - Stephen Colbert

Lani

Post #9 by Lani » Fri Dec 09, 2016 11:00 pm

Trumpers have issued a statement. Photobucket won't let me upload, so here's a link.
https://twitter.com/kylegriffin1/status ... wsrc%5Etfw

GreatGrey

Post #10 by GreatGrey » Fri Dec 09, 2016 11:04 pm

IMG_3524.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

I am not "someone upthread".
Trump needs to be smashed into some kind of inedible orange pâté.

Suranis

Post #11 by Suranis » Fri Dec 09, 2016 11:19 pm

Wow. Its amaaaazing. Ever sentance in that press release is not true

As I said on a facebook post - Actually, there everyone and literally everyone was telling the Bush Administration that there was no evidence of WMD, and everyone knew that Colin Powell was lying, and the US Media was ignoring it and toeing the party line on WMD

Here people have been saying that Russia was hacking stuff for months, evidence was published in national News a month ago, and the US Media was ignoring the story becasue they were toeing the party line on EMAILS, and everyone knew Trump was lying. Totally different situation.

"I think its pretty troubling when a backyard decoration comes out swinging harder against Nazis than the President of the United States." - Stephen Colbert

Lani

Post #12 by Lani » Fri Dec 09, 2016 11:29 pm

Former chief strategist for Kasich's presidential campaign is pissed off.
https://twitter.com/JWGOP

John Weaver ‏@JWGOP 1h1 hour ago
The only reason I don't want Comey to resign is I don't want him replaced with Corey Lewandowski.
14 replies 58 retweets 197 likes

John Weaver ‏@JWGOP 2h2 hours ago
The Trump team publicly mocking our intelligence services, thus defacto defending what happened, only adds to suspicions.
10 replies 203 retweets 320 likes

And if an elected Republican blocked Russian involvement from being shared with the American people that "leader" should be formally named
34 replies 295 retweets 520 likes

Everything the intelligence services know must be presented to the American people. And every lead must be run to ground.
11 replies 181 retweets 289 likes

And the media seized on these Russian "leaks" as if the info was some sort of a crime and it was all bullshit. Another false equivalency.
3 replies 52 retweets 122 likes

Right. A goddam dereliction of duty across the board. From the President to Congress to the FBI, etc. As shameful as anything.
7 replies 66 retweets 137 likes

Steven Strauss Retweeted John Weaver
FBI Staff: We have evidence Putin is hacking our election trying to elect Trump. Comey: Can't share that with public, would be partisan

Steven Strauss added,
John Weaver @JWGOP
American people had fundamental right to know about effective Russian efforts to elect Trump months ago. Hiding/not sharing is scandalous.
17 replies 245 retweets 278 likes

John Weaver ‏@JWGOP 3h3 hours ago
And perhaps the FBI Director, who I once held in high regard, should have been more concerned about the Russians & less about his reputation

YellowMustard

Post #13 by YellowMustard » Fri Dec 09, 2016 11:31 pm

Not to mention the WMD thing was nearly a decade and a half ago. What that has to do with today is beyond me. It's not like I expected them to come up with a sober and serious response, but jeez.

I guess the CIA dismantling just shot up the list above the EPA, Education, HUD, etc etc.

----IANAL----

Call me old fashioned, but I always thought patriotism was something we share, not use against each other. - Mrs. Betty Bowers https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8xV8HHFtg7w

Orlylicious

Post #14 by Orlylicious » Fri Dec 09, 2016 11:37 pm

Rightfully, Twitter is going wild.

Ronald Klain Verified account @RonaldKlain
Three sentences, three lies. Class @realDonaldTrump

Mo Elleithee ‏@MoElleithee 2h2 hours ago
The President-elect has just attacked US Intelligence agencies, in an attempt to defend Russia.
For real.

Chuck Todd ‏@chucktodd 1h1 hour ago
The implication in the Trump transition statement is that he doesn't believe a single thing from the CIA.

Evan McMullin ‏@Evan_McMullin 2h2 hours ago
It's deeply saddening to me that only now are we accepting what has been self-evident for months.

John Aravosis ‏@aravosis 41m41 minutes ago
Trump is ignoring, and therefore colluding with, a foreign threat to our democracy. It's unbelievable GOP is tolerating this.

rolandsmartin ‏@rolandsmartin 1h1 hour ago
So @realDonaldTrump is defending Russia by trashing the CIA. Yes, the agency that he will oversea as POTUS. INCREDIBLE. #WeTriedToTellYa

George Takei ‏@GeorgeTakei 3h3 hours ago
The CIA concluded in its assessment that Russia actively interfered to help Trump win. This should concern all Americans. We want answers.

Charles Johnson ‏@Green_Footballs 2h2 hours ago
If you follow LGF you know I usually mock "bombshell" claims. But THIS is a real bombshell. http://lgf.bz/2gmHH9e

Keith Olbermann ‏@KeithOlbermann 1h1 hour ago
Unsolicited advice to @realDonaldTrump: your "presidency" will be a usurpation with no credibility. Take your family and flee to Russia.

David Frum @davidfrum
If the Soviets had done for George McGovern in 1972 what the Russians did for Trump in 2016, it would have been kind of a big deal

Mark Harris Verified account @MarkHarrisNYC
Is there any reading of this story in which Mitch McConnell is not a traitor to the United States? No. There is not.

Even Kasich/McCain's guy

John Weaver ‏@JWGOP 3h3 hours ago
Russia committed a Pearl Harbor cyber attack on USA designed to put their favored person in the WH. We did nothing. Read that out loud.

From Michael Moore: RESISTANCE CALENDAR! A one-stop site for all anti-Trump actions EVERY DAY nationwide: http://resistancecalendar.org

Suranis

Post #15 by Suranis » Sat Dec 10, 2016 12:07 am

Assole tweet from the past

Edward Snowden

@Snowden

There may never be a safer election in which to vote for a third option.
10:09 PM - 21 Oct 2016

7,579 7,579 Retweets

Moar twitter

Charles Johnson @Green_Footballs

Imagine, if you will, my surprise to see Glenn Greenwald spring to the defense of Wikileaks and Russia.

Matt Ortega @MattOrtega

Days BEFORE GOP rolled the media with FBI letter, they were in secret meetings with White House opposing disclosure as "too explosive"!
1:12 AM - 10 Dec 2016

David Corn @DavidCornDC

Russia influencing US election to put Trump in power is bigger than Watergate.
2:25 AM - 10 Dec 2016

Patton Oswalt Verified account
‏@pattonoswalt

In the center of the wasteland that was once America in 2017 should be a huge monument that just says "...BUT HER E-MAILS"

Orlylicious

Post #16 by Orlylicious » Sat Dec 10, 2016 12:20 am

Frank-incensed ‏@goddamnedfrank 44m44 minutes ago

Russia didn’t just hack the election to harm Democrats, they also retained the info needed to blackmail Republicans. http://www.nytimes.com/2016/12/09/us/ob ... share&_r=0

Lani

Post #17 by Lani » Sat Dec 10, 2016 1:40 am

Adam Jentleson @AJentleson

I'll say it: NYT interviewed Reid for this story. He said things contrary to the story. NYT discarded the interview. http://www.nytimes.com/2016/11/01/us/po ... trump.html
6:33 PM - 9 Dec 2016

Investigating Donald Trump, F.B.I. Sees No Clear Link to Russia
After lengthy investigations, officials also believe that a hacking of Democratic emails was aimed at disrupting the election rather than electing Mr. Trump.
nytimes.com

Charles Johnson Verified account
‏@Green_Footballs

This is Harry Reid’s deputy chief of staff. @AJentleson

9:00 PM - 9 Dec 2016

Lani

Post #18 by Lani » Sat Dec 10, 2016 1:48 am

Christopher Hayes ✔
@chrislhayes

Wait was the whole election a proxy battle between the FBI and the CIA that the FBI won?
7:12 PM - 9 Dec 2016

southpaw @nycsouthpaw

CIA should've done more to appeal to the white working class. https://twitter.com/chrislhayes/status/ ... 2179774464
7:14 PM - 9 Dec 2016

OK, I laughed at Southpaw's reply. A cold, bitter laugh....

RTH10260

Post #19 by RTH10260 » Sat Dec 10, 2016 6:38 am

Orlylicious wrote:Rightfully, Twitter is going wild.

Chuck Todd ‏@chucktodd 1h1 hour ago
The implication in the Trump transition statement is that he doesn't believe a single thing from the CIA.

No wonder the reports that Trump opted out of receiving his daily intelligence briefings.

Chilidog

Post #20 by Chilidog » Sat Dec 10, 2016 6:51 am

Orlylicious wrote:Frank-incensed ‏@goddamnedfrank 44m44 minutes ago

Russia didn’t just hack the election to harm Democrats, they also retained the info needed to blackmail Republicans. http://www.nytimes.com/2016/12/09/us/ob ... share&_r=0

SHIT.

I said that was happening!

viewtopic.php?p=801192#p801192

(And apparently Mr. Filly as well)

RTH10260

Post #21 by RTH10260 » Sat Dec 10, 2016 8:25 am

It would have been a surprize had they not gone after the Republican party system too, also. One can assume that after the publication of the hacking of the Democrat servers the Republicans also reviewed their security protocols and likely hardened soft spots. The hackers wouldn't have waited so long.

tek

Post #22 by tek » Sat Dec 10, 2016 9:17 am

Suranis wrote:Wow. Its amaaaazing. Ever sentance in that press release is not true

Exactly what I saw when I read it. 3 for 3.

We are so far down the rabbit hole..

Chilidog

Post #23 by Chilidog » Sat Dec 10, 2016 10:01 am

RTH10260 wrote:It would have been a surprize had they not gone after the Republican party system too, also. One can assume that after the publication of the hacking of the Democrat servers the Republicans also reviewed their security protocols and likely hardened soft spots. The hackers wouldn't have waited so long.

The common defense from the Tumpettes is that since no RNC emails were released by Wikileaks, it didn't happen. :brickwallsmall:

https://disqus.com/home/discussion/theh ... s_believe/

Addie

Post #24 by Addie » Sat Dec 10, 2016 10:47 am

WaPo

Schumer calls for full investigation by Congress of Russian interference in U.S. elections

The CIA's findings that Russia intervened in the 2016 election to help Donald Trump win the presidency are both “stunning and not surprising,” the next leader of Senate Democrats said, raising the need for Congress to conduct a full investigation.

The statement from Sen. Charles E. Schumer (D-N.Y.), issued Saturday morning, was in response to a Washington Post story that intelligence agencies have identified individuals with connections to the Russian government who provided WikiLeaks with thousands of hacked emails from the Democratic National Committee to boost Trump and hurt Hillary Clinton's chances. ...

In his statement, Schumer said the idea that any country “could be meddling in our elections should shake both political parties to their core.” He added that silence from WikiLeaks and others has been “deafening.”

“Senate Democrats will join with our Republican colleagues next year to demand a congressional investigation and hearings to get to the bottom of this,” Schumer said. “It's imperative that our intelligence community turns over any relevant information so that Congress can conduct a full investigation.”

¡Qué vergüenza!

Addie

Post #25 by Addie » Sat Dec 10, 2016 11:14 am

Whitehouse.gov

The White House
Office of the Press Secretary
For Immediate Release
December 09, 2016
Press Briefing by Principal Deputy Press Secretary Eric Schultz, 12/9/16

1:16 P.M. EST

MR. SCHULTZ: Good afternoon. I apologize profusely for being so late. But I will try to move through this swiftly, so you all can get started on your weekends.

Darlene, I don't have anything at the top. You're welcome to lead us off.

Q Thank you. Can you speak to what prompted the President to order this review on the Russian hacking into the presidential elections?

MR. SCHULTZ: Sure, Darlene. And we should just clarify that the President, earlier this week, instructed the intelligence community to conduct a full review of the pattern of malicious cyber activity related to our presidential election cycle. So he’s requested this report be completed and submitted to him before the end of his term.

As you all know, in 2008, there were intrusions into both the Obama and McCain campaigns. There haven't been any noted episodes in 2012, but the President asked to go back, with what we know now, to make sure that we're using every tool possible as a means of due diligence. And then, of course, in 2016, our intelligence community determined that there was malicious cyber activity intended to interfere with our elections. In the high confidence assessment that was released this past October, the intelligence community made very clear that this was activity directed by the highest levels of the Russian government.

So as we've made clear, we are committed to ensuring the integrity of our elections. And this report will dig into this pattern of malicious cyber activity timed to our elections, take stock of our defensive capabilities, and capture lessons learned to make sure that we brief members of Congress and stakeholders, as appropriate.

¡Qué vergüenza!

Return to “Presidential Election”