Rustbelt Recount

Orlylicious
Location: With Pete Buttigieg and the other "open and defiant homosexuals" --Bryan Fischer AFA
Occupation: "Do Nothing Democrat Savage" -- Donald, 9/28/19 and "Scalawag...Part of an extreme, malicious leftist internet social mob working in concert with weaponized, socialized governments to target and injure political opponents.” -- Walt Fitzpatrick

Re: Rustbelt Recount

Post by Orlylicious » Tue Dec 06, 2016 7:45 am

Thank you, that's good to know. The volunteers may not have known and great Snopes covered. We're hearing a lot of the problems but good to see where the system is working too. They should find those best practices and incentivize states to use them to upgrade like FL and many other states did.
Photo: In honor of Lt Root Beer! Support the 699th: https://www.facebook.com/Imperial-Illum ... 259897297/
Don't miss The Fogbow's Favorite TV Show starring the titular Mama June Shannon -- "Mama June: From Not To Hot!"

Orlylicious
Location: With Pete Buttigieg and the other "open and defiant homosexuals" --Bryan Fischer AFA
Occupation: "Do Nothing Democrat Savage" -- Donald, 9/28/19 and "Scalawag...Part of an extreme, malicious leftist internet social mob working in concert with weaponized, socialized governments to target and injure political opponents.” -- Walt Fitzpatrick

Post by Orlylicious » Tue Dec 06, 2016 7:39 pm

:boxing: in MI. This is really complicated! From what I understand, the 6th Circuit upheld Judge Goldsmith's order that the recount must continue, but the MI Court of Appeals (3 Rs) wants it to be stopped. All happening now, these stories are from the last few minutes... More at the links. Sounds like they recount until they get back to Judge Goldsmith to try to dissolve his order.
Federal Appeals Court to Michigan: Keep recounting votes
Tresa Baldas and Paul Egan , Detroit Free Press 7:18 p.m. EST December 6, 2016

A federal appeals court upheld the Michigan recount that's been under way since Monday in an opinion issued late Tuesday, just moments before a state appeals court issued an opinion saying the recount should never have been allowed to begin.

The duelling appelate opinions appear to set up further proceedings before U.S. District Judge Mark Goldmsmith, who ordered the recount to begin Monday, two days before state officials had scheduled it to start.

In a legal blow to the Michigan Republican Party, the U.S. 6th Circuit Court of Appeals refused to stop Michigan's historic presidential election recount, which got under way 24 hours ago following a midnight order from Goldsmith. In a 2-1 opinion, the 6th Circuit said Goldsmith "did not abuse (his) discretion" in ruling that the start of the recount should be accelerated to Monday, from a planned start date of Wednesday.
http://www.freep.com/story/news/local/m ... /95044646/
Michigan appeals court rejects Jill Stein's recount as unlawful
Paul Egan , Detroit Free Press 7:24 p.m. EST December 6, 2016

LANSING — The Michigan Court of Appeals ruled Tuesday that the Board of State Canvassers never should have allowed a recount requested by Green Party candidate Jill Stein to proceed, because she has no chance to overturn the result of the presidential election in her favor and is not an aggrieved candidate. The panel ordered the board to "reject the Nov. 30, 2016 petition of candidate Stein that precipitated the current recount process."

The ruling came out almost simultaneously with a 2-1 order from the U.S. 6th Circuit Court of Appeals which upheld U.S. District Judge Mark Goldsmith's Monday order that the recount must get under way at noon that day, which it did. The combined effect of the two rulings appears to set up further court proceedings in front of Goldsmith.
Brewer told the three-judge appeals panel: "This court has no authority ... to interfere in any way with a federal court order." He got little or no pushback from the judges on that point, who appeared to acknowledge that any order by them to stop the recount would result in further proceedings in federal court in Detroit. Judge Christopher Murray told Bursch: "We could issue an opinion right now, and the recount wouldn't stop." "I completely disagree with that," Bursch replied.

He argued there is wording in Goldsmith's order that anticipates the recount being canceled by the state or state courts, but the judges weren't buying it. Bursch also said Elections Director Chris Thomas would have to decide whether to follow a state order to stop the recount, or go back to Goldsmith to find out what to do. "Would you serve the jail time for us?" Presiding Judge Peter O'Connell asked Bursch, somewhat facetiously, raising the prospect of being found in contempt of a federal court order.
http://www.freep.com/story/news/politic ... /95048550/
Photo: In honor of Lt Root Beer! Support the 699th: https://www.facebook.com/Imperial-Illum ... 259897297/
Don't miss The Fogbow's Favorite TV Show starring the titular Mama June Shannon -- "Mama June: From Not To Hot!"

Sunrise

Post by Sunrise » Sat Dec 10, 2016 4:55 pm

I just read a report about the recount in Michigan that has me puzzled and worried. It claims that there have been numerous instances where the supposed count didn't match the number of ballots found inside the box. District #152 was cited as an especially egregious example. The count was 306 but there were only 50 ballots in the sealed box.

I'm unable to link this, but there are several articles about it. Could this possibly be true? If yes, then how did it happen? We learned that polls are inaccurate. Does this mean that our elections are as well? Very scary thought.
"I am no longer accepting the things I cannot change. I am changing the things I cannot accept."
Angela Davis

Sugar Magnolia

Post by Sugar Magnolia » Sat Dec 10, 2016 5:10 pm

Sunrise wrote:I just read a report about the recount in Michigan that has me puzzled and worried. It claims that there have been numerous instances where the supposed count didn't match the number of ballots found inside the box. District #152 was cited as an especially egregious example. The count was 306 but there were only 50 ballots in the sealed box.

I'm unable to link this, but there are several articles about it. Could this possibly be true? If yes, then how did it happen? We learned that polls are inaccurate. Does this mean that our elections are as well? Very scary thought.
http://www.freep.com/story/news/politic ... /95107886/

Sunrise

Post by Sunrise » Sat Dec 10, 2016 6:02 pm

Sugar Magnolia wrote:
Sunrise wrote:I just read a report about the recount in Michigan that has me puzzled and worried. It claims that there have been numerous instances where the supposed count didn't match the number of ballots found inside the box. District #152 was cited as an especially egregious example. The count was 306 but there were only 50 ballots in the sealed box.

http://www.freep.com/story/news/politic ... /95107886/
Thanks, Sugar. The explanation in your link makes sense if the count is off a few, because of human error. The ratio of 50/306 is waaaay beyond that however. Until someone can prove me wrong, I think I'll choose to believe that Cheeto's team did some bigly cheating. It may help me sleep more soundly, since I'm still up several times a night with nightmares about him. :crying:
"I am no longer accepting the things I cannot change. I am changing the things I cannot accept."
Angela Davis

Reality Check

Post by Reality Check » Sat Jan 28, 2017 9:23 am

Someone at DU posted Jill Stein's campaign finance reports. She went from $58,303 cash on hand on 10/20/2016 to $4,170,298 on hand on 11/28/2016. It appears the recount was very successful .... for Jill Stein. :madguy:

Yes, there might have been expenditures after that date. The next report will be interesting.
"“If you’re not outraged, you’re not paying attention.”

Heather Heyer, November 2016

ZekeB

Post by ZekeB » Sat Jan 28, 2017 9:32 am

I dunno. I heard the recounts in those three states would cost in excess of four million. I wonder how much her campaign has today?
Trump: Er hat eine größere Ente als ich.

Putin: Du bist kleiner als ich.

Reality Check

Post by Reality Check » Sat Jan 28, 2017 9:35 am

That's the latest data on the FEC web site.
"“If you’re not outraged, you’re not paying attention.”

Heather Heyer, November 2016

Return to “Presidential Election”