Hillary Clinton's e-mail /Debunking the lies

esseff44

Re: Hillary Clinton's e-mail /Debunking the lies

Post by esseff44 »

BillTheCat wrote:PERCEPTION and OPTICS are all that matters to the more uninformed voters. Who cares if there is something "criminal"? Like anyone cares about facts.
The whole e-mail/server thing has been baked in for 2 years. I really can't see anyone who has not taken this into whatever decision they have made. If anyone was still undecided, it will not push them one way or another hearing the same old news one more time.

Give it a day or two to shake out.
magdalen77

Post by magdalen77 »

esseff44 wrote:
BillTheCat wrote:PERCEPTION and OPTICS are all that matters to the more uninformed voters. Who cares if there is something "criminal"? Like anyone cares about facts.
The whole e-mail/server thing has been baked in for 2 years. I really can't see anyone who has not taken this into whatever decision they have made. If anyone was still undecided, it will not push them one way or another hearing the same old news one more time.

Give it a day or two to shake out.
That's what I was thinking, but some of my Facebook friends are all... :panic: :panic: :panic:
listeme

Post by listeme »

Dave Weigel ‏@daveweigel 4m4 minutes ago

Next update: James Comey is actually a figment of our imagination, like "Candle Cove"
We're used to being told it's our fault that men don't listen to us.
TollandRCR

Post by TollandRCR »

We won't know until after the election whether there is anything in those e-mails that implicates Secretary Clinton in anything criminal or endangering national security. This will probably shift Trump and his staff into attack mode on Clinton, and their rallies will resound with "Lock 'er Up!" That's good, because I don't think it will increase his vote share.

I think it is very important that the Clinton campaign not deny something about which they cannot yet know. Nor should the campaign use the "I don't remember" strategy. I would just say that we await the results of the FBI investigation.

This has, IMHO, been the weakest part of Clinton's campaign. I doubt it, but this could be crucially important not only for this campaign but also for the future of our country. There was somebody in the State Department who knew about this and knew that it was a mistake. I would like to take that person out behind the gym.
“The truth is, we know so little about life, we don’t really know what the good news is and what the bad news is.” Kurt Vonnegut
SuzieC
Occupation: Attorney since 1977. Litigator for 33 years. For 10 years Admin Law Judge for 4 state agencies.

Post by SuzieC »

Supposedly this has something to do with investigation into Huma and Carlos Danger's emails. See Balloon Juice article "Groundhog Day." Also recent NYT article. (I can't read the NYT so can't provide link.)
listeme

Post by listeme »

Yeah. Weiner.
David A. Graham ‏@GrahamDavidA 9m9 minutes ago
Anthony Weiner's continued existence seems like proof that the Clintons don't actually go around killing people who pose a risk to them
esseff44

Post by esseff44 »

Yes, phones the FBI confiscated while investigating Weiner's sexting scandals. So, it must be Huma's phones with messages related to something to do with her work. What a mess.

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/10/29/us/po ... f=cta&_r=0
Reality Check

Post by Reality Check »

A criminal defense attorney posted over at DU that he thinks this was just a CYA for Comey. He sent this letter to Chaffetz so the Repube's couldn't claim he withheld anything before the election. In other words it's probably nothing.
"“If you’re not outraged, you’re not paying attention.”

Heather Heyer, November 2016
RoadScholar

Post by RoadScholar »

TollandRCR wrote:We won't know until after the election whether there is anything in those e-mails that implicates Secretary Clinton in anything criminal or endangering national security...
I think it is very important that the Clinton campaign not deny something about which they cannot yet know. Nor should the campaign use the "I don't remember" strategy. I would just say that we await the results of the FBI investigation. :snippity:
But nothing is stopping her from making a clear, firm statement that she isn't worried about anything the FBI might have found because she hasn't done anything wrong for them to find.

Is there a downside to that statement?
The bitterest truth is healthier than the sweetest lie.
X3
TollandRCR

Post by TollandRCR »

RoadScholar wrote: Nothing is stopping her from making a clear, firm statement that she isn't worried about anything the FBI might have found because she hasn't done anything wrong for them to find.

Is there a downside to that statement?
I don't see a downside. What I want is no more memory excuses. They don't work.
“The truth is, we know so little about life, we don’t really know what the good news is and what the bad news is.” Kurt Vonnegut
NotaPerson

Post by NotaPerson »

I'll be voting early next week. I'll cast my vote for Clinton, because I truly cannot stand the thought of Trump becoming president.

But I gotta get this off my chest...

What the fuck was she thinking when she, as a government employee who would be handling sensitive and classified info, decided to set up a private email server in her home which would handle her State Department emails?

It is just so fucking absurd. I understand she did it out of convenience related to devices she used at the time for checking her email. We all know damn good and well that this is not a good excuse. I've thought this from the first day the story broke. For over 20 years I've worked for a federal government contractor that handles much confidential info from the Census Bureau and survey respondents, etc. (none of it remotely relevant to national security). I know that if I had done what she did and it were found out, my career would be ruined. I might well have been fined or even gone to jail. Yeah, I know Colin Powell did it too, but he isn't running for president so that's moot.

IIRC, career bureaucrats in the State Dept tried to warn her, way back when she was first setting up this private email server, that it was a really bad idea. She ignored them. SHE FUCKING IGNORED THEM. There would never have been a scandal if she had simply listened to the people who knew better than her.

The new letter from the FBI doesn't reveal much of anything. But if more bad news comes out in the next few days and it tips the election to Trump's favor (not likely, I know), then it won't be the media's fault, anymore than it will be the media's fault for Trump losing. It will be Hillary Clinton's fault. So please, place the damn blame where it belongs.

:smoking:
Am I being detained?
TollandRCR

Post by TollandRCR »

NotaPerson wrote:What the fuck was she thinking when she, as a government employee who would be handling sensitive and classified info, decided to set up a private email server in her home which would handle her State Department emails? :
She may agree. The excuse that she wanted to use a Blackberry does not settle well with me. More importantly, she simply has to know when to take advice.
RoadScholar

Post by RoadScholar »

Apparently other SoS's did it too. And an argument was made that it was for the same reason: the State Dept. system was cumbersome and not as secure as a privately-held server.

No?
The bitterest truth is healthier than the sweetest lie.
X3
listeme

Post by listeme »

And it was for the administrative emails, not for government secrets. It was the equivalent of an office email account.

And she didn't set up the server; it was in existence for President Clinton's use after he left office.

This is the campaign statement, just now, by the way.
"Upon completing this investigation more than three months ago, FBI Director Comey declared no reasonable prosecutor would move forward with a case like this and added that it was not even a close call. In the months since, Donald Trump and his Republican allies have been baselessly second-guessing the FBI and, in both public and private, browbeating the career officials there to revisit their conclusion in a desperate attempt to harm Hillary Clinton's presidential campaign.
"FBI Director Comey should immediately provide the American public more information than is contained in the letter he sent to eight Republican committee chairmen. Already, we have seen characterizations that the FBI is 'reopening' an investigation but Comey's words do not match that characterization. Director Comey's letter refers to emails that have come to light in an unrelated case, but we have no idea what those emails are and the Director himself notes they may not even be significant.
"It is extraordinary that we would see something like this just 11 days out from a presidential election.

"The Director owes it to the American people to immediately provide the full details of what he is now examining. We are confident this will not produce any conclusions different from the one the FBI reached in July."
esseff44

Post by esseff44 »

I still don't see it as a scandal. There was a set up for classified information which she used for classified information. For other non-classified messages, she used a private server. She did not do anything that other high ranking government officials have done and still do. Rove did it. Colin Powell did it as do most Congress Members. The e-mails that have since been reclassified after they were sent around to different departments with different guidelines have not be shown to be a serious breach of any kind or anything that would have been recognizable as 'classified' at the time. As it turned out, the State Dept. server she would have used was less secure than her private server. This fact seems to be lost on the pundits and critics. Under closer scrutiny, it was the better choice.

It would be nice if we all had such perfect judgement that we could foresee how every thing would be perceived in the future if it were taken out of context and miscontrued by our enemies. I don't know of anyone who could meet that standard.

And that is a pretty clear statement her campaign just put out. I don't know what else people can expect. Politics is an ugly part of out lives. Your opponents will never stop throwing dirt.
Orlylicious
Location: @orly_licious With Pete Buttigieg and the other "open and defiant homosexuals" --Bryan Fischer AFA
Occupation: #StuggersForBiden "Do Nothing Democrat Savage" -- Donald, 9/28/19 and "Scalawag...Part of an extreme, malicious leftist internet social mob working in concert with weaponized, socialized governments to target and injure political opponents.” -- Walt Fitzpatrick

Post by Orlylicious »

Staying calm. Not buying in to the Republican hysteria. They've got nothing else. Good time to watch a movie :P

From Mark Cuban:
Mark Cuban ‏@mcuban 19m19 minutes ago
Everyone relax pic.twitter.com/2eBsP1kDCz

Trumpers have misread the "Pls Print" messages for a long time... HRC's Blackberry was too small to read emails so often they were forwarded to print out.

Absolutely disgraceful that Comey would pull this before the election. Best to let President Obama and one of the best political campaign teams in history work through this.

More from Mark:
Mark Cuban ‏@mcuban 7m7 minutes ago
.@mcuban 7) Hillary never saw the emails just the printouts 8)FBI previously reported Huma didn't get docs marked classified 9) relax

Mark Cuban ‏@mcuban 10m10 minutes ago
.@mcuban 4) FBI got the device Huma used with that account 5) FBI is reviewing the emails on the device for classified docs

Mark Cuban ‏@mcuban 12m12 minutes ago
1) emails went to Huma for Hillary
2) Huma forwarded to acct she used for husband connected to printer
3) Huma printed for Hillary
Avatar: ??Mystery?? And hey don't miss The Fogbow's Favourite TV Show™ starring the titular Mama June Shannon! Returns 2021. TVShowsAce featured Fogbow's love 5/26/20: https://bit.ly/2TNxrbS[/b]
esseff44

Post by esseff44 »

The stocks were a bit choppy but nothing unusual for a Friday with lots of variables in the earings report. There is a tendency to overreact to what might be seen as bad news which is a good buying opportunity if you have your eye out to buy a particular stock.

Prev Close 18,169.68
Open 18,193.79
Volume 107,841,713
Day's Range 18,094.97 - 18,257.06
52wk Range 15,450.56 - 18,722.61
Avg Vol (3m) 85,691,230
listeme

Post by listeme »

I don't tend to panic when I see this stuff hitting because my operating assumptions about her (and some of the reasons I'm voting for her) are that she is: honest, cautious, and lawyerly. Therefore, I don't have a deep dark october surprise lurking over my shoulder.

No one knows everything, and I have been wrong about people before.

But it is very rare for me to be wrong. :boxing: :boxing:
esseff44

Post by esseff44 »

https://www.lawfareblog.com/memo-press- ... oesnt-mean

I don't see it as cause for panic for many of the same reasons. The media will over sensationalize and the headlines will be misleading. It's what they do.
'
Karen Walker

Post by Karen Walker »

This made me giggle:
@ReformedBroker: This is one hell of a season finale. Can’t believe they brought the Weiner character back.
listeme

Post by listeme »

Karen Walker wrote:This made me giggle:
@ReformedBroker: This is one hell of a season finale. Can’t believe they brought the Weiner character back.
:rotflmao:
p0rtia

Post by p0rtia »

listeme wrote:
Karen Walker wrote:This made me giggle:
:rotflmao:
+1 :clap: Needed that.
No matter where you go, there you are! :towel:
ImageImageImage
vic

Post by vic »

I guess the FBI now has a policy that whenever they search a computer they'll look for emails that have either Hillary Clinton's name or the name of someone who worked with her and then announce that they're reopening the investigation of Hillary's emails.
Orlylicious
Location: @orly_licious With Pete Buttigieg and the other "open and defiant homosexuals" --Bryan Fischer AFA
Occupation: #StuggersForBiden "Do Nothing Democrat Savage" -- Donald, 9/28/19 and "Scalawag...Part of an extreme, malicious leftist internet social mob working in concert with weaponized, socialized governments to target and injure political opponents.” -- Walt Fitzpatrick

Post by Orlylicious »

From bedwetting preventer-in-chief David Plouffe: :lol:
David Plouffe ‏@davidplouffe 1h1 hour ago
Nothingburger.
From Jon Favreau:
Jon Favreau Verified account @jonfavs
My advice: step away from the news, enjoy your weekend, help with GOTV, and tune in again on Monday.
(Now I have to take it)
6:33 PM - 28 Oct 2016
Bit more Mark Cuban:
Alex Howard @digiphile
@mcuban what happened in Step 6? It's going to be a long weekend, so I'm making sure I don't miss any sequence. :)

Mark Cuban ‏@mcuban 35m35 minutes ago
Saved a spot for later :)
Dov Markowich @Dovaleh
@mcuban Hi Mark. If it's so small and minor, then why would the FBI have the need to re-open the whole case again 11 days before election?

Mark Cuban ‏@mcuban 1h1 hour ago
You open it because if it's leaked it's a far bigger shitstorm kudos to Dir Comey
Avatar: ??Mystery?? And hey don't miss The Fogbow's Favourite TV Show™ starring the titular Mama June Shannon! Returns 2021. TVShowsAce featured Fogbow's love 5/26/20: https://bit.ly/2TNxrbS[/b]
TollandRCR

Post by TollandRCR »

In September 2013, Comey was appointed Director of the FBI by President Barack Obama

Return to “Presidential Election”