Bernie or Busters. Trump voters.

Azastan

Re: Bernie or Busters. Trump voters.

Post by Azastan »

PatGund wrote:
Azastan wrote:I have a young friend (age 23) who was all about Bernie. Now she has decided she is all about Jill Stein.

She thinks that Mrs Clinton will take away her guns.
Jill Stein on Gun Control:

http://www.ontheissues.org/2012/Jill_St ... ontrol.htm
Q: How do you feel about personal gun ownership?
A: It is more dangerous to the occupants of a home to have a gun than not. It's more likely that you'll be injured by your own gun than that you'll be defended against some intruder with that gun. It's an enormous public health problem in our cities--there are tragedies every day where young people are being shot, as victims of gun crimes. It's tragic. We're not arguing that nobody should have a gun--but public safety should factor into constraints.
Sounds like your friend would be happier with Gary Johnson.
I'll have to point that out to her at an appropriate time.

Thank you for the link!

Sugar Magnolia

Post by Sugar Magnolia »

Azastan wrote:I have a young friend (age 23) who was all about Bernie. Now she has decided she is all about Jill Stein.

I have an old friend (age 73) who was all about Bernie. Now she has decided she is all about Jill Stein.
My friend actually knows nothing about Stein, but she "knows" DWS threw the votes for the DNC and Stein is her only alternative to voting for Hillary. Her reasoning is very circular and it scares me to hear it coming from a woman with 2 PhDs who follows politics relatively closely.

listeme

Post by listeme »

I'm seeing a lot of the busters in my circle come around already.

I feel pretty good about sanity today.

So far.

We're used to being told it's our fault that men don't listen to us.
Sam the Centipede

Post by Sam the Centipede »

listeme wrote:I'm seeing a lot of the busters in my circle come around already.

I feel pretty good about sanity today.

So far.
With no evidence at all, my gut feeling is most will come around. They despise Trump, they care (in their own way) about politics and government, there's plenty of time for the memory of the Sanders campaign will fade into the background while Trump's dangerous idiocy ramps up, then they'll realize that the rational anti-Trump move is to vote for Clinton, even if they feel they have to hold their noses to do so. They do care, even if it's not necessarily in the same way (or perhaps even as deeply) as the fervent Democrats here.

There's not too much point speculating; the polls will start revealing the state of the nation in a couple weeks (after the convention bounces have subsided).

Notorial Dissent

Post by Notorial Dissent »

My question would be just how big a percentage of the voters are the Bernieites really. I know they did well in some of the primaries, but as in the case of my state the primaries get little attention and most people can't/don't vote in them, because of the way they are set up. Most people here work during the day and trying to get home to get to the voting place near home is often impossible either before or after work, and to be honest a great many really don't care. My sense from local politics was that the real Democrats were all working and it was only the Bernieites who came out and pushed this. In a straight election he wouldn't have gotten much of the vote. I suspect this is true largely everywhere except his home turf, he is a minority party candidate at best. I jsut don't see him being able to do what the last third party candidate did. I don't think the following is that big.

The fact that you sincerely and wholeheartedly believe that the “Law of Gravity” is unconstitutional and a violation of your sovereign rights, does not absolve you of adherence to it.
Azastan

Post by Azastan »

Notorial Dissent wrote:My question would be just how big a percentage of the voters are the Bernieites really. I know they did well in some of the primaries, but as in the case of my state the primaries get little attention and most people can't/don't vote in them, because of the way they are set up. Most people here work during the day and trying to get home to get to the voting place near home is often impossible either before or after work, and to be honest a great many really don't care. My sense from local politics was that the real Democrats were all working and it was only the Bernieites who came out and pushed this. In a straight election he wouldn't have gotten much of the vote. I suspect this is true largely everywhere except his home turf, he is a minority party candidate at best. I just don't see him being able to do what the last third party candidate did. I don't think the following is that big.
In WA State, there are both caucuses and primaries. Voting here is statewide mail in ballot, which means that everyone can vote if they bother. The caucuses, on the other hand, need to have bodies show up in person. I couldn't go to my local caucus because, yes, I was working. My young friend, the Bernie supporter, wasn't working and so she declared herself to be a Democrat, and then voted for Bernie.

That means that a lot of people went to the Democratic Party caucuses who were all fired up about Sanders, but aren't necessarily really Democrats, and aren't necessarily that interested in politics.

My young friend vacillates between being worried about losing her guns (conservative) and being all for forgiving education debt (liberal).

Flatpointhigh
Occupation: Voice Actor, Podcaster, I hold a Ph.D in Procrastination.

Post by Flatpointhigh »

SueDB wrote:
esseff44 wrote:The largest delegation of Bernie or Busters was from California. It will not make a difference what they do. It will not matter in any but the swing states.

The DNC and the Clinton campaign have known all along where the battles have to be fought. I don't see this latest e-mail leak as hurting them. Removing DWS was actually a plus.
DWS was just another speed bump to overcome. Her departure seems to have been rather smooth. It seems there are a couple adults around.
There had been a movement to remove DWS for quite a while. It wasn't just a sudden thing - the email thing was just the final straw in her DINOistic outlook.

magdalen77

Post by magdalen77 »

In Pennsylvania Hillary won by a lot (56% to 44%). It's kind of not surprising since PA Democrats outside of Philly are fairly conservative and PA has the second largest elderly population outside of FL. It's fairly easy to vote in the primaries in PA. The polls are open from 7 AM until 8 PM and there are a lot of polling locations. I haven't lived more than a few blocks from my polling location since I moved to the Philly suburbs and even when I voted upstate the polls were never more than a mile or two from my house.

SueDB

Post by SueDB »

We have a bunch of Blind Bernie Believers in Washington. The caucus went for Bernie, but the Primary vote went heavily Hillz. Unfortunately, ony the caucus voters were counted toward national.

There is a reason that many folks back east consider the Northwest - The Bush League...

Bernie boys showed bush league behavior.

“If You're Not In The Obit, Eat Breakfast”

Remember, Orly NEVAH disappoints!
bob

Post by bob »

Suffolk University has a new Pennsylvania poll out. Clinton is +9, in both two-person and four-person match-ups. To the extent Stein takes votes away from Clinton, Johnson is taking a comparable amount of votes from Trump.

Imagex6 Imagex2 Imagex4 Imagex2
PatGund

Post by PatGund »

Sugar Magnolia wrote:

I have an old friend (age 73) who was all about Bernie. Now she has decided she is all about Jill Stein.
My friend actually knows nothing about Stein, but she "knows" DWS threw the votes for the DNC and Stein is her only alternative to voting for Hillary. Her reasoning is very circular and it scares me to hear it coming from a woman with 2 PhDs who follows politics relatively closely.
I have a friend who has a Ph.D, teaches at university, was a Sanders supporter, and has made it very clear she will not now or ever vote for Hillary Clinton. She changed her party registration and is now planning to vote for Jill Stein.

What gets me is that she not only expects Trump to win, but expects that there will be riots and the world will burn, and that neither her or her two adult children will survive any of it. But that's okay to her, because the DNC needs to be punished for not choosing the "more electable" candidate.

PatGund

Post by PatGund »

Flatpointhigh wrote:There had been a movement to remove DWS for quite a while. It wasn't just a sudden thing - the email thing was just the final straw in her DINOistic outlook.
I had been returning my donation emails with the note "Nothing until Debbie Wasserman Schultz is gone".

I donated again last night.

PatGund

Post by PatGund »

SueDB wrote:We have a bunch of Blind Bernie Believers in Washington. The caucus went for Bernie, but the Primary vote went heavily Hillz. Unfortunately, ony the caucus voters were counted toward national.

There is a reason that many folks back east consider the Northwest - The Bush League...

Bernie boys showed bush league behavior.
They made me VERY embarrassed to both live in Washington State AND be a Sanders supporter.

BillTheCat

Post by BillTheCat »

After last night, the nasty un-democratic anarchist's time is over. They have no further national televised platform they can rudely disrupt.

And nothing of value was lost.

'But I don't want to go among mad people,' said Alice. 'Oh, you can't help that,' said the cat. 'We're all mad here.'
-Lewis Carroll
Sterngard Friegen

Post by Sterngard Friegen »

PatGund wrote:I have a friend who has a Ph.D, teaches at university, was a Sanders supporter, and has made it very clear she will not now or ever vote for Hillary Clinton. She changed her party registration and is now planning to vote for Jill Stein.

What gets me is that she not only expects Trump to win, but expects that there will be riots and the world will burn, and that neither her or her two adult children will survive any of it. But that's okay to her, because the DNC needs to be punished for not choosing the "more electable" candidate.
Pat - You should encourage her to set herself in fire on the Capital steps in Olympia as a more effective way to protest. Preferably well before the election.

Self immolation would be a profound way for her to show the strength of her convictions!

PatGund

Post by PatGund »

Sterngard Friegen wrote:
PatGund wrote:I have a friend who has a Ph.D, teaches at university, was a Sanders supporter, and has made it very clear she will not now or ever vote for Hillary Clinton. She changed her party registration and is now planning to vote for Jill Stein.

Pat - You should encourage her to set herself in fire on the Capital steps in Olympia as a more effective way to protest. Preferably well before the election.

Self immolation would be a profound way for her to show the strength of her convictions!
Would have to be Phoenix, since she lives in Arizona.

RoadScholar

Post by RoadScholar »

Sterngard Friegen wrote:

I've been telling Orly that for years.

The bitterest truth is healthier than the sweetest lie.
X3
RoadScholar

Post by RoadScholar »

You could use Hillary's best line on that score from last night:

"I don't want to take away your guns. I just don't want you to get shot by someone who shouldn't have guns in the first place."

(Verbatim only if memory serves.)

The bitterest truth is healthier than the sweetest lie.
X3
Azastan

Post by Azastan »

RoadScholar wrote:

You could use Hillary's best line on that score from last night:

"I don't want to take away your guns. I just don't want you to get shot by someone who shouldn't have guns in the first place."

(Verbatim only if memory serves.)
I will have to check around for a transcript and get the exact quote. Thanks!

esseff44

Post by esseff44 »

http://www.latimes.com/politics/la-na-p ... story.html

Transcript of Hillary's speech last night.
And if we're serious about keeping our country safe, we also can't afford to have a President who's in the pocket of the gun lobby. I'm not here to repeal the 2nd Amendment. I'm not here to take away your guns. I just don't want you to be shot by someone who shouldn't have a gun in the first place.

Azastan

Post by Azastan »

esseff44 wrote:http://www.latimes.com/politics/la-na-p ... story.html

Transcript of Hillary's speech last night.
And if we're serious about keeping our country safe, we also can't afford to have a President who's in the pocket of the gun lobby. I'm not here to repeal the 2nd Amendment. I'm not here to take away your guns. I just don't want you to be shot by someone who shouldn't have a gun in the first place.
:thumbs:

I'm putting this quote in a safe place, because I know I will need to use it.

Karen Walker

Post by Karen Walker »

This (now?) Jill supporter...
image.jpg
...has an epic meltdown in this thread:
@aseitzwald: I've been caught doing my job by talking to sources. Please accept my deepest insincere apologies. https://t.co/dgfDSOwdZn
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

BillTheCat

Post by BillTheCat »

Karen Walker wrote:This (now?) Jill supporter...
image.jpg
...has an epic meltdown in this thread:
@aseitzwald: I've been caught doing my job by talking to sources. Please accept my deepest insincere apologies. https://t.co/dgfDSOwdZn
"Star of 'Project X'"

:rotflmao:

He should resign from acting permanently for appearing in that movie.

'But I don't want to go among mad people,' said Alice. 'Oh, you can't help that,' said the cat. 'We're all mad here.'
-Lewis Carroll
bob

Post by bob »

Stein continues to JAQ off about vaccines.

Imagex6 Imagex2 Imagex4 Imagex2
DejaMoo

Post by DejaMoo »

Earlier this year, novelist Elizabeth George wrote an essay about Bernie Sanders, his supporters, and their political vision. Though we're past that stage and we know Sanders didn't make the cut, George's points about his vision and his followers apply equally to the discontented on the right, especially the RWNJs in the various militia and 'patriot' movements. Specifically, their fantasy about revolution:
. . . I’ve had a problem with Senator Sanders and it is his use of one word that he has repeated in every interview that I’ve heard, in every appearance that I’ve seen, and in every debate that I’ve witnessed: revolution.
:snippity:

...It is because Bernie Sanders stops with the word revolution and goes no further that I urge people not to vote for him, no matter how appealing his calls for radical change are. For in not explaining to his followers exactly what is expected of them, in not telling them the truth about the manner in which revolutions occur and the manner in which his revolution will have to occur, Senator Sanders merely becomes yet another politician making promises.

Revolution means change, often radical change, and the truth is that change comes about in three ways, none of which is quick and none of which is pretty: through war, through massive demonstrations in the streets and acts of civil disobedience performed by hundreds of thousands of people over time, and through voting under a master plan that guarantees one political party comprising like-minded individuals domination of both the legislative and the executive branches of government so as to pass the required legislation that alters our society.

The problem I have with Senator Sanders is that he’s not saying this. He’s saying only revolution, without telling the entire story, and in not telling the entire story, he’s not being honest. Indeed, he’s performing like any other politician, eager for office. He’s telling people what they want to hear, not what they must do to achieve it. He’s not saying that the revolution he speaks of requires the participation of millions upon millions of people and they must be willing to ACT. What this means is that hundreds of thousands of petitions will have to be signed, hundreds of thousands of voters will have to be registered, millions will need to pour into the streets, to march on Washington, to gather by the hundreds of thousands in the national mall, to have sit-ins in the halls of Congress, to engage in acts of civil disobedience, to allow themselves to be dragged off by the police, to stand in front of judges, and to serve time in jail. It’s either that, an actual war, or a master voting plan to take over the legislative branch of the government that Bernie Sanders needs to come up with by November.

If you think I’m incorrect in this conclusion, I ask you to consider Women’s Suffrage, the establishment of unions, the Civil Rights Movement, the Farmworkers Movement, the Women’s Movement, the Gay Rights Movement, the LGBT Movement. All of these brought about social change. All of these required the commitment to action by thousands and thousands of people.

I've heard this bull before.

Return to “Presidential Election”