Libertarian Party 2016 - Gary Johnson / Bill Weld?

boots

Re: Libertarian Party 2016 - Gary Johnson / Bill Weld?

Post by boots » Tue Sep 27, 2016 2:23 pm

Suranis

Post by Suranis » Tue Sep 27, 2016 3:27 pm

My pillow is neither Trump or HRC, but I still wouldn't vote for it for President.
Learn to Swear in Latin. Profanity with class!
https://blogs.transparent.com/latin/lat ... -in-latin/

boots

Post by boots » Tue Sep 27, 2016 3:59 pm

I don't think any of the candidates are "ideal" to me, but I would rank Johnson better than the other two personally. And your pillow would beat at least one of them!

Suranis

Post by Suranis » Tue Sep 27, 2016 4:08 pm

And it would be a comfy candidate!
Learn to Swear in Latin. Profanity with class!
https://blogs.transparent.com/latin/lat ... -in-latin/

TexasFilly

Post by TexasFilly » Wed Sep 28, 2016 8:06 pm

Anyone watch Johnson/Weld on Hardball tonight? Johnson had another Aleppo moment when Tweety asked him the trick question about what former foreign leader he admired. He said "I'm having another Aleppo moment" then said the former President of Mexico, but couldn't remember his name. Weld had to help him. Then Tweety really asked a hard question: "Who is your favorite Supreme Court Justice?" Again, Johnson drew a blank. Weld helped him with "Kennedy." Not to mention Johnson's absurd accusation that Hillary would be "trigger happy" with nukes. The whole interview was a disaster. I suggest anyone thinking about voting for this nudnick watch the interview.
I love the poorly educated!!!

Kevin McCarthy: Paul Ryan playing with a head injury -- Jon Lovett

boots

Post by boots » Wed Sep 28, 2016 8:48 pm

I think his media performances are either hit or miss. At least they aren't routinely offensive like Trump's. And you can chalk it up to pretty common human frailty, forgetting a name at least is something everyone's done.

TexasFilly

Post by TexasFilly » Wed Sep 28, 2016 9:24 pm

Forgetting "a" name happens. Not knowing what Aleppo is or being able to name a foreign leader or a member of SCOTUS is indicative of someone who is a joke of a candidate. Watch the interview. Every interview I've seen him do is a MISS. Bigly.
I love the poorly educated!!!

Kevin McCarthy: Paul Ryan playing with a head injury -- Jon Lovett

RoadScholar

Post by RoadScholar » Wed Sep 28, 2016 10:10 pm

At least he didn't answer "All of them." :lol:
The bitterest truth is healthier than the sweetest lie.
X3

Orlylicious
Location: With Pete Buttigieg and the other "open and defiant homosexuals" --Bryan Fischer AFA
Occupation: "Do Nothing Democrat Savage" -- Donald, 9/28/19 and "Scalawag...Part of an extreme, malicious leftist internet social mob working in concert with weaponized, socialized governments to target and injure political opponents.” -- Walt Fitzpatrick

Post by Orlylicious » Wed Sep 28, 2016 10:28 pm

Total Fail with Chris Matthews, it was inexcusable. How can you possibly be President of the United States without knowing the name of ANY foreign leaders? My God, who nominated this clown? I get we're in reality TV land but look at that idiot compared to President Obama tonight on CNN on a Veterans Townhall. I'm not sure how, but we have an election where only one candidate is qualified. I wouldn't be surprised to see Bill Weld leave the ticket over this, he's a pretty honorable guy.
Photo: In honor of Lt Root Beer! Support the 699th: https://www.facebook.com/Imperial-Illum ... 259897297/
Don't miss The Fogbow's Favorite TV Show starring the titular Mama June Shannon -- "Mama June: From Not To Hot!"

boots

Post by boots » Wed Sep 28, 2016 11:25 pm

Orlylicious wrote:Total Fail with Chris Matthews, it was inexcusable. How can you possibly be President of the United States without knowing the name of ANY foreign leaders? My God, who nominated this clown? I get we're in reality TV land but look at that idiot compared to President Obama tonight on CNN on a Veterans Townhall. I'm not sure how, but we have an election where only one candidate is qualified. I wouldn't be surprised to see Bill Weld leave the ticket over this, he's a pretty honorable guy.
I'm going to wait until I can see the Chris Matthews segment and watch it in full before I can comment on it. But a couple of random to not-so-random thoughts on the subject:

I watched the two "town hall" shows that were put on with Johnson and Weld. I thought Johnson looked nervous and did some bizarre off-topic babbling, which I posted about here. I found that disappointing because I viewed it as a "presentation" or "preparation" issue more than a suitability issue. I don't think most voters can or do make such fine distinctions however. So, I commented here that I thought they were not ready for prime time.

Then I watched the second town hall show. Johnson was relaxed, prepared, on-point, and even gave some skillful answers to tough questions. It gave me some hope there might be a decent third party candidate.

Aleppo - Sorry guys, I'd rather be the guy that didn't recognize "Aleppo" than the one who caused Aleppo. But I suspect that is a minority viewpoint. Most Murricans think the whole Middle East is a homogenized hell-pit, therefore who cares how we screw it up, let's bomb them some more before breakfast.

Tongue-gate - Weird, not funny, quirky, whatever. But not all that significant, either.

Oh, and about Supreme Court justices, I saw an interview months ago where, when asked what kinds of nominees a Johnson Presidency would produce, he said "people like Merrick Garland" and he gave some other names that I can't recall right now, but who are highly thought of even in liberal circles. For me it underlined that Johnson is neither a "Republican lite" nor a typical neck-beard Libertarian crank. So, when I recall that interview, I am a little less concerned that he couldn't think of a "favorite" Supreme Court justice. I personally have a hard time answering "what is your favorite___" type of questions because it just seems to simplistic a lot of the time. I might have a lot of complex opinions about some subject, but I don't have a favorite.

I'll have to watch the latest one.

Orlylicious
Location: With Pete Buttigieg and the other "open and defiant homosexuals" --Bryan Fischer AFA
Occupation: "Do Nothing Democrat Savage" -- Donald, 9/28/19 and "Scalawag...Part of an extreme, malicious leftist internet social mob working in concert with weaponized, socialized governments to target and injure political opponents.” -- Walt Fitzpatrick

Post by Orlylicious » Wed Sep 28, 2016 11:29 pm

[bbvideo=560,315][/bbvideo]
Photo: In honor of Lt Root Beer! Support the 699th: https://www.facebook.com/Imperial-Illum ... 259897297/
Don't miss The Fogbow's Favorite TV Show starring the titular Mama June Shannon -- "Mama June: From Not To Hot!"

boots

Post by boots » Wed Sep 28, 2016 11:39 pm

Prior interview question about Supreme Court justices. To be fair, it was William Weld who provided most of the answers (and I think he has a better persona for running for President than Johnson). But I also don't think they're the "kook ticket" especially when one looks at the FREAKING REPUBLICAN NOMINEEE :eek2: :oops: :rotflmao: And, unlike the other "third" (fourth?) party, they're not running around getting arrested for news attention.

At around the 10:00 minute mark.

[bbvideo=560,315][/bbvideo]

Sterngard Friegen

Post by Sterngard Friegen » Wed Sep 28, 2016 11:51 pm

Techno Luddite wrote:I think his media performances are either hit or miss. At least they aren't routinely offensive like Trump's. And you can chalk it up to pretty common human frailty, forgetting a name at least is something everyone's done.
Johnson is not routinely offensive, or offensive at all. He's merely completely unaware of the world around him. He's better than Trump or Stein, but that's a pretty low bar because they are so offensive, and a vote for him is a vote not only for an utterly feckless and incompetent candidate, but a wasted vote as well.

(Weld is impressive.)

boots

Post by boots » Thu Sep 29, 2016 12:01 am

Sterngard Friegen wrote:
Techno Luddite wrote:I think his media performances are either hit or miss. At least they aren't routinely offensive like Trump's. And you can chalk it up to pretty common human frailty, forgetting a name at least is something everyone's done.
Johnson is not routinely offensive, or offensive at all. He's merely completely unaware of the world around him. He's better than Trump or Stein, but that's a pretty low bar because they are so offensive, and a vote for him is a vote not only for an utterly feckless and incompetent candidate, but a wasted vote as well.

(Weld is impressive.)
I agree Weld is more polished, more used to the limelight, more "Presidential" and would probably appeal to a greater portion of the public. I wish their ticket were reversed, frankly.

RoadScholar

Post by RoadScholar » Thu Sep 29, 2016 7:27 am

Assuming Johnson really does know something about SCOTUS justices and foreign leaders, the interview shows that he brain-freezes under pressure.

Not a good quality in a CIC who may need to make monumental split-second calls in a crisis.

That said, of the four remaining contenders he is without question the second best.
The bitterest truth is healthier than the sweetest lie.
X3

boots

Post by boots » Thu Sep 29, 2016 10:20 pm

RoadScholar wrote:Assuming Johnson really does know something about SCOTUS justices and foreign leaders, the interview shows that he brain-freezes under pressure.

Not a good quality in a CIC who may need to make monumental split-second calls in a crisis.

That said, of the four remaining contenders he is without question the second best.
He does do that, and sometimes he seems really natural and gives good candid answers. I would tend to lean towards him knowing something. But I don't think he is quite as up on it as Weld.

I can't find the entire Matthews clip. All I can find is the 1 minute something worst part. Have to say it is something of a nothing burger to me. I am not sure I have a "favorite" justice though I guess I could name one if I had to. Don't persons who run for President have people who help them prep? I mean, even libertarians?

Fortinbras

Post by Fortinbras » Fri Sep 30, 2016 12:15 am

Johnson has had his Sarah Palin and Herman Caine moments. He didn't have a chance anyway, so please people don't throw a vote away on Johnson, please give HRC a mandate over Trump.

MRich

Post by MRich » Wed Oct 05, 2016 11:47 am

Bill Weld told the Boston Globe that he plans to focus exclusively on attacking Donald Trump for the remainder of the campaign.
As some presumably small portion of Americans sat through a dull debate between the Republican and Democratic vice-presidential nominees on Tuesday night, a far more interesting drama was unfolding within the Libertarian ticket. VP candidate Bill Weld told the Boston Globe that he plans to focus exclusively on attacking Donald Trump for the remainder of the campaign — essentially admitting that running mate Gary Johnson can not become president.

Trump has Weld’s “full attention,” he explained, because his agenda is so terrible it’s “in a class by itself.” “I think Mr. Trump’s proposals in the foreign policy area, including nuclear proliferation, tariffs, and free trade, would be so hurtful, domestically and in the world, that he has my full attention,” Weld said.

Apparently he avoided acknowledging that his new mission amounts to working to make Hillary Clinton president. He pointed out that he disagrees with Clinton on fiscal and military issues, though last week on MSNBC he said he’s “not sure anybody is more qualified than Hillary Clinton to be president of the United States.”
http://nymag.com/daily/intelligencer/20 ... dency.html

listeme

Post by listeme » Wed Oct 05, 2016 11:55 am

That is very interesting.
We're used to being told it's our fault that men don't listen to us.

Fortinbras

Post by Fortinbras » Wed Oct 05, 2016 9:53 pm

With almost no exceptions, Third Party candidates come from nowhere, stay nowhere, slip back into nowhere. They have no travel budget, no advertising budget, and no staff. No one with serious foreign policy or economic policy background is around to prep them -- and I am not counting the Party Faithful who parrot the Marxist (or whatever) line on capitalist exploitation or whatever. So I am not surprised that, except for a few foreign policy concerns about how the nasty old US govt is siding with whoever is in power, they seem to know little about various countries. Similarly, how they seem to know little about serious financial/commercial issues.

Even the Third Party candidates who held significant public office are frequently running on fumes, with small budgets, and staffs made of up of "true believers" and eccentrics with odd theories.

The point is, I am not, and you should not be, surprised when third party candidates like Gary Johnson do a palin when asked probing questions.

boots

Post by boots » Thu Oct 06, 2016 4:10 pm

MRich wrote:Bill Weld told the Boston Globe that he plans to focus exclusively on attacking Donald Trump for the remainder of the campaign.
As some presumably small portion of Americans sat through a dull debate between the Republican and Democratic vice-presidential nominees on Tuesday night, a far more interesting drama was unfolding within the Libertarian ticket. VP candidate Bill Weld told the Boston Globe that he plans to focus exclusively on attacking Donald Trump for the remainder of the campaign — essentially admitting that running mate Gary Johnson can not become president.

Trump has Weld’s “full attention,” he explained, because his agenda is so terrible it’s “in a class by itself.” “I think Mr. Trump’s proposals in the foreign policy area, including nuclear proliferation, tariffs, and free trade, would be so hurtful, domestically and in the world, that he has my full attention,” Weld said.

Apparently he avoided acknowledging that his new mission amounts to working to make Hillary Clinton president. He pointed out that he disagrees with Clinton on fiscal and military issues, though last week on MSNBC he said he’s “not sure anybody is more qualified than Hillary Clinton to be president of the United States.”
http://nymag.com/daily/intelligencer/20 ... dency.html

That is a total b******* story made up of mined out of context quotes.

Sterngard Friegen

Post by Sterngard Friegen » Thu Oct 06, 2016 4:23 pm

As if voting for the Johnson-Weld-Knownothing ticket means anything.

boots

Post by boots » Thu Oct 06, 2016 4:25 pm

Sigh, must I post all of the articles, Snopes pieces, and direct quotes from Weld? Come on now. Either one's bs detector is broken or this is a shining example of spreading bad information because doing so favors a certain other candidate (which is probably why the story exists in the first place).

Sugar Magnolia

Post by Sugar Magnolia » Thu Oct 06, 2016 4:36 pm

Techno Luddite wrote:Sigh, must I post all of the articles, Snopes pieces, and direct quotes from Weld? Come on now. Either one's bs detector is broken or this is a shining example of spreading bad information because doing so favors a certain other candidate (which is probably why the story exists in the first place).
So the Boston Globe made up quotes and attributed them to an imaginary interview they did with Weld? And Weld isn't raising holy hell about it? You're right. I definitely smell bs.

Return to “Presidential Election”