2016 Democratic National Convention

TexasFilly
Posts: 20544
Joined: Mon Sep 28, 2009 12:52 pm

Re: 2016 Democratic National Convention

#526

Post by TexasFilly »

Addie wrote:Dropping by to say Hillary was wonderful last night and the whole convention was great. I was very moved that she dressed in white to mark this huge event in women's history.

Bye :wave:
Addie!!!! :bighug: :bighug: :bighug:


I love the poorly educated!!!

Kevin McCarthy: Paul Ryan playing with a head injury -- Jon Lovett
User avatar
p0rtia
Posts: 4541
Joined: Sun Aug 26, 2012 11:44 am
Contact:

Re: 2016 Democratic National Convention

#527

Post by p0rtia »

Foggy wrote:Have we ever discussed the fashion choices a male candidate made? :think:

The feminist in me is thinking "She's talking about the future of this great land of ours - and the future of the Third Stone from the Sun - and people are discussing whether or not white is a good color for her."

:dogballoon:
:yeah:


No matter where you go, there you are! :towel:
ImageImageImage
User avatar
TollandRCR
Posts: 20731
Joined: Sun Mar 22, 2009 11:17 pm
Location: RIP, my friend. - Foggy

Re: 2016 Democratic National Convention

#528

Post by TollandRCR »

I did not remember and probably never knew about the role of white in the movement to gain the vote for women. It was a good linkage to make. However, I don't think Hillary mentioned that linkage, so it may not have been intentional.

Men don't wear white suits unless they always wear white suits. It makes for good clothing for novelists, playwrights, eccentrics, and chicken entrepreneurs. I think the question about whether a male candidate would have worn a white suit for the acceptance speech is a bit silly.

She looked great in that white outfit. Nuff said.


“The truth is, we know so little about life, we don’t really know what the good news is and what the bad news is.” Kurt Vonnegut
stoppingby
Posts: 566
Joined: Sat Jan 16, 2016 9:47 pm

Re: 2016 Democratic National Convention

#529

Post by stoppingby »

Foggy wrote:Have we ever discussed the fashion choices a male candidate made? :think:


:dogballoon:
I was one of those who commented on her wardrobe and makeup, and it was out of character for me. But I felt her hair, makeup, and white pantsuit made her look fresh and rested, a nice comeback to those who criticize her ideas as old and tired.

I'm back and forth on commenting on female politicians clothes. Usually, I am against comments on appearance. But on the other hand, when it's clear the outfit is part of the visual message, I'm okay with it, because it's similar to commenting on the lectern or on the graphics on the jumbotron. Just my two cents.


User avatar
NMgirl
Posts: 4829
Joined: Wed Apr 13, 2016 12:02 am

Re: 2016 Democratic National Convention

#530

Post by NMgirl »

p0rtia wrote:
Foggy wrote:Have we ever discussed the fashion choices a male candidate made? :think:

The feminist in me is thinking "She's talking about the future of this great land of ours - and the future of the Third Stone from the Sun - and people are discussing whether or not white is a good color for her."

:dogballoon:
:yeah:
The only prominent male politician who got some flack for apparel whom I can remember is Lyndon Johnson. He used to wear those string ties (the official New Mexico State Tie!) cowboy boots and cowboy hat. As with George W., the cowboy gear was bogus; Johnson never rode the range, although he did ride roughshod over a lot of people.


User avatar
RoadScholar
Posts: 9044
Joined: Wed Jan 26, 2011 10:25 am
Location: Baltimore
Occupation: Historic Restoration Woodworker
Contact:

Re: 2016 Democratic National Convention

#531

Post by RoadScholar »

TollandRCR wrote:...Men don't wear white suits unless they always wear white suits. It makes for good clothing for novelists, playwrights, eccentrics, and chicken entrepreneurs. :snippity:
Hey! Sometimes a Tropical is appropriate. Say, at outdoor weddings in August?


The bitterest truth is healthier than the sweetest lie.
X3
User avatar
RoadScholar
Posts: 9044
Joined: Wed Jan 26, 2011 10:25 am
Location: Baltimore
Occupation: Historic Restoration Woodworker
Contact:

Re: 2016 Democratic National Convention

#532

Post by RoadScholar »

RoadScholar wrote:
TollandRCR wrote:...Men don't wear white suits unless they always wear white suits. It makes for good clothing for novelists, playwrights, eccentrics, and chicken entrepreneurs. :snippity:
Hey! Sometimes a Tropical is appropriate. Say, at outdoor weddings in August?
Edit: Although you may have me there on "eccentrics."


The bitterest truth is healthier than the sweetest lie.
X3
User avatar
Fortinbras
Posts: 2960
Joined: Sun Jan 18, 2015 10:08 am

Re: 2016 Democratic National Convention

#533

Post by Fortinbras »

I think it's appropriate if you're the ringmaster on Fantasy Island.


User avatar
RoadScholar
Posts: 9044
Joined: Wed Jan 26, 2011 10:25 am
Location: Baltimore
Occupation: Historic Restoration Woodworker
Contact:

Re: 2016 Democratic National Convention

#534

Post by RoadScholar »

The color and construction are not for fashion, they're for dressing semi-formally when it's 99 degrees and 90% humidity.

Tropicals are the coolest suits. And I don't mean grooviest.


The bitterest truth is healthier than the sweetest lie.
X3
User avatar
esseff44
Posts: 12507
Joined: Sat Apr 16, 2011 12:40 am

Re: 2016 Democratic National Convention

#535

Post by esseff44 »

When the subject of wearing white to remember the suffragettes came up, I had a picture in mind of all the ladies in white marching for the right to vote. So, yes, I think the choice was deliberate. So do quite a few others like those here:

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/07/30/fashi ... .html?_r=0

Image


User avatar
TollandRCR
Posts: 20731
Joined: Sun Mar 22, 2009 11:17 pm
Location: RIP, my friend. - Foggy

Re: 2016 Democratic National Convention

#536

Post by TollandRCR »

NMgirl wrote: The only prominent male politician who got some flack for apparel whom I can remember is Lyndon Johnson. He used to wear those string ties (the official New Mexico State Tie!) cowboy boots and cowboy hat. As with George W., the cowboy gear was bogus; Johnson never rode the range, although he did ride roughshod over a lot of people.
String ties do show up in men's fashion all over the Southwest. That is partly because so many are set with beautiful turquoise stones. LBJ did ride roughshod over some people (some of whom deserved it), but he also rode horses. He had a nice spread on the Pedernales River with a low-water crossing from the main highway (a Farm-to-Market road). He was born, lived, worked, died, and is buried on that ranch. True, he was as likely to show his ranch to visitors from his Cadillac as from his horse Lady B. You might like to visit the Lyndon B. Johnson National Historical Park


“The truth is, we know so little about life, we don’t really know what the good news is and what the bad news is.” Kurt Vonnegut
User avatar
Foggy
Posts: 32218
Joined: Tue Jan 20, 2009 12:00 pm
Location: District Court of Bun-Dogs
Occupation: Space Cadet, Devilish Hyena & Dick Tater

Re: 2016 Democratic National Convention

#537

Post by Foggy »

Sorry, I rarely just stir the pot like that.

I tell my brain to behave, but does it listen? :nope:


I hope y'all are still wearing your seat belts!
User avatar
MsDaisy
Posts: 5621
Joined: Mon Dec 07, 2009 12:30 pm

Re: 2016 Democratic National Convention

#538

Post by MsDaisy »

Orlylicious wrote:More on the wardrobe choice:
:snippity:
It also evoked the snow-colored dress that Michelle Obama wore to Barack Obama’s first inauguration, all hope and change and #yeswecan. And, perhaps most significantly, it tied her to the suffragettes, who nearly 100 years ago succeeded in getting women the right to vote (while wearing white), and paved the way for Clinton becoming the first woman to be nominated as a presidential candidate.
http://nypost.com/2016/07/29/the-messag ... -pantsuit/
article-2266144-1714B470000005DC-241_634x814.jpg
la-na-2016-democratic-national-convention-in-p-188.jpg
I get the symbolism of the white, and some people can really rock white like Michelle, granted that was an evening gown and not blindingly white, but where did that suit come from? It was square with long heavy sleeves in the dead of summer and no accent or splash of color at all, too much purity. And she didn’t seem to be all that comfortable in it. To me she looked more like a clinician about to see patients than a woman making history. I think she could have done way better, even with white.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.


Birfers are toast
User avatar
Slim Cognito
Posts: 9645
Joined: Fri Aug 29, 2014 8:37 am
Location: Home to gators, pythons and now trump. trump is the only one that scares me.

Re: 2016 Democratic National Convention

#539

Post by Slim Cognito »

MsDaisy wrote:
I get the symbolism of the white, and some people can really rock white like Michelle, granted that was an evening gown and not blindingly white, but where did that suit come from? It was square with long heavy sleeves in the dead of summer and no accent or splash of color at all, too much purity. And she didn’t seem to be all that comfortable in it. To me she looked more like a clinician about to see patients than a woman making history. I think she could have done way better, even with white.
The white dresses/women's suffrage is new to me. I learn something every day here.

That said, MY impression of the white suit, is the white/purity/pantsuit is a big FU to Trump and the republicans who call her a criminal.


ImageImageImage x4
User avatar
kate520
Posts: 17000
Joined: Mon Oct 26, 2009 3:02 pm
Location: Dark side of the Moon
Occupation: servant of cats, chicken wrangler
Contact:

Re: 2016 Democratic National Convention

#540

Post by kate520 »

stoppingby wrote:
Foggy wrote:Have we ever discussed the fashion choices a male candidate made? :think:


:dogballoon:
I was one of those who commented on her wardrobe and makeup, and it was out of character for me. But I felt her hair, makeup, and white pantsuit made her look fresh and rested, a nice comeback to those who criticize her ideas as old and tired.

I'm back and forth on commenting on female politicians clothes. Usually, I am against comments on appearance. But on the other hand, when it's clear the outfit is part of the visual message, I'm okay with it, because it's similar to commenting on the lectern or on the graphics on the jumbotron. Just my two cents.
Well, I can tell you, politicians and their handlers spend oodles of time on wardrobe choices and styling. Optics are optics. We may think it shallow, but when she walked out on the stage last night, I wasn't the only one thinking 'Damn, girl, you look fantastic!' White was a good choice, whatever the reason. It was a bold, maybe risky choice but she pulled it off. Hair and makeup soft and fresh, the whole package said youthful and personable. They did a great job, I think.

Optics are sometimes all you get.

Also, too, what slim said. I didn't know the suffragette connection either. ❤️


DEFEND DEMOCRACY
Mr. Gneiss
Posts: 1990
Joined: Sat Jan 01, 2011 12:37 am

Re: 2016 Democratic National Convention

#541

Post by Mr. Gneiss »

NMgirl wrote:The only prominent male politician who got some flack for apparel whom I can remember is Lyndon Johnson. He used to wear those string ties (the official New Mexico State Tie!) cowboy boots and cowboy hat. As with George W., the cowboy gear was bogus; Johnson never rode the range, although he did ride roughshod over a lot of people.
Off Topic
Not a politician, but I did ride the range in my youth. I often wear shark skin cowboy boots, bolo tie and a Resistol cowboy hat professionally. Just part of my eccentric nature. :-D

Also, my past U.S. Senator Ben Nighthorse Campbell usually wore "western garb" when in the Senate chamber.


User avatar
kate520
Posts: 17000
Joined: Mon Oct 26, 2009 3:02 pm
Location: Dark side of the Moon
Occupation: servant of cats, chicken wrangler
Contact:

Re: 2016 Democratic National Convention

#542

Post by kate520 »

Foggy wrote:Have we ever discussed the fashion choices a male candidate made? :think:

:dogballoon:
When men's "fashion" is as interesting and profitable as women's, we will. :mrgreen:


DEFEND DEMOCRACY
Mr. Gneiss
Posts: 1990
Joined: Sat Jan 01, 2011 12:37 am

Re: 2016 Democratic National Convention

#543

Post by Mr. Gneiss »

kate520 wrote:Well, I can tell you, politicians and their handlers spend oodles of time on wardrobe choices and styling. Optics are optics. We may think it shallow, but when she walked out on the stage last night, I wasn't the only one thinking 'Damn, girl, you look fantastic!' White was a good choice, whatever the reason. It was a bold, maybe risky choice but she pulled it off. Hair and makeup soft and fresh, the whole package said youthful and personable. They did a great job, I think.

Optics are sometimes all you get.

Also, too, what slim said. I didn't know the suffragette connection either. ❤️
Esp. when compared to the Cheeto orangeman with orangutan comb over.


User avatar
Chilidog
Posts: 11869
Joined: Mon Jan 09, 2012 11:36 am

Re: 2016 Democratic National Convention

#544

Post by Chilidog »

NMgirl wrote:
The only prominent male politician who got some flack for apparel whom I can remember is Lyndon Johnson. He used to wear those string ties (the official New Mexico State Tie!) cowboy boots and cowboy hat. As with George W., the cowboy gear was bogus; Johnson never rode the range, although he did ride roughshod over a lot of people.
He might not have rode the range, but....

Lyndon Johnson ordering pants

NSFW



User avatar
much ado
Posts: 2585
Joined: Mon Mar 23, 2009 12:56 am
Location: The Left Coast

Re: 2016 Democratic National Convention

#545

Post by much ado »

Sterngard Friegen wrote:Brit Hume is an asshole. He had no problems with Drumpf's lunatic delivery. Or the delivery of the grifter from Wasilla who always struck a semi hysterical tone.
I think we need a secret method of, just among ourselves, identifying assholes without needing to spell it out. How about triple inverted parentheses, like ')))Brit Hume((('? See? The inverted parentheses represent sphincter muscles.

So Stern's post could be shortened to:
Using this convention Sterngard Friegen wrote:)))Brit Hume((( had no problems with )))Drumpf's((( lunatic delivery. Or the delivery of the grifter from Wasilla who always struck a semi hysterical tone.
Just a modest proposal.


User avatar
PatGund
Posts: 7809
Joined: Fri Jan 23, 2009 4:41 pm
Location: Everett. WA
Occupation: Middle Aged College Student

Re: 2016 Democratic National Convention

#546

Post by PatGund »

ElaineSoCal wrote:Apparently the Washington Delegates for Bernie are planning to walk out during Hillary's speech tonight and they may be joined by other Bernie delegates.

The lack of political knowledge stupidity on their FB page is unreal.

If you care to go down the rabbit hole, here's the link:

https://www.facebook.com/groups/wa4bern ... ts&fref=ts
I'm disgusted. I live in Washington State. I supported and voted for Sen. Bernie Sanders both at the Caucus level and in the non-binding Primary.

I am deeply, horribly ashamed at the immature and downright rude way the Washington State Sanders Delegates acted.

They had the chance to represent their state and your candidate, and they came off as spoiled petulant children.

They do NOT represent me, they do NOT represent Sen. Sanders, and they certainly don't represent the majority of Sanders supporters.


User avatar
PatGund
Posts: 7809
Joined: Fri Jan 23, 2009 4:41 pm
Location: Everett. WA
Occupation: Middle Aged College Student

Re: 2016 Democratic National Convention

#547

Post by PatGund »

mimi wrote:Well, Berners are wearing neon green with "Enough is Enough" on them.

Image
I did note that, towards the last third of Hillary Clinton's speech, many of those in the neon green "enough is enough" shirts were standing up, cheering and applauding.

So there was some hope. Though I hope the person who waved around the "Jill not Hill" sign at the start was escorted off the floor.

You know, I remember in 2008 that some of Clintons delegates got pulled because they said they would not support Sen. Obama if he was the nominee. The PUMAs made a big stink about it. I wonder why they didn't do the same here?


User avatar
bob
Posts: 31312
Joined: Sat Dec 05, 2009 12:22 pm

Re: 2016 Democratic National Convention

#548

Post by bob »

much ado wrote:
Using this convention Sterngard Friegen wrote:)))Brit Hume((( had no problems with )))Drumpf's((( lunatic delivery. Or the delivery of )))the grifter from Wasilla((( who always struck a semi hysterical tone.
Just a modest proposal.
FIFY.


Imagex6 Imagex2 Imagex4 Imagex2
User avatar
Sugar Magnolia
Posts: 12286
Joined: Sun Apr 01, 2012 6:44 am

Re: 2016 Democratic National Convention

#549

Post by Sugar Magnolia »

I don't watch a whole bunch of speeches, but as a visual artist a muted solid color "background" for the speaker holds my attention much more firmly on their words, than some print or bright color would. It was also a lesson learned at Gallaudet when we would lose points for wearing a brightly colored shirt or busy print. All of our assignments were video taped and reading sign is incredibly hard when the hands are against a confusing background. I pay a lot more attention to the words if the clothing isn't distracting me. I do the same thing with musicians, too. A wonderful female saxophonist was playing at the Maple Leaf one night and I got so enthralled with her rose-gold sax and the reflections on it that I don't even remember her name or anything she played. My visual input obviously overtook my aural input.


User avatar
Karen Walker
Posts: 1911
Joined: Fri Apr 29, 2016 2:31 pm

Re: 2016 Democratic National Convention

#550

Post by Karen Walker »

Sterngard Friegen wrote:Brit Hume is an asshole. He had no problems with Drumpf's lunatic delivery. Or the delivery of the grifter from Wasilla who always struck a semi hysterical tone.
This never gets old.
:rotflmao:


Post Reply

Return to “Presidential Election”