2016 Democratic National Convention

Addie

2016 Democratic National Convention

Post by Addie »

[link]CNN,http://politicalticker.blogs.cnn.com/20 ... onvention/[/link]

15 cities in running for 2016 Democratic Convention

Washington (CNN) - The Democratic Party has asked 15 mayors to submit formal bids to host the 2016 Democratic National Convention, an event that could cost a city as much as $60 million but the payout could be triple the investment or more.

The Democratic National Committee's official request for proposal or "RFP" was sent to cities late Monday and they are required to submit their bids to host the convention by June 6.

Cities that received the DNC's "RFP" include: Atlanta, Chicago, Cleveland, Columbus (Ohio), Detroit, Indianapolis, Las Vegas, Miami, Nashville, New York, Orlando, Philadelphia, Phoenix Pittsburgh and Salt Lake City.

The DNC will choose its 2016 host city by the close of 2014 or beginning of 2015 and Democrats are expected to hold the convention, where the party will officially choose its presidential nominee, in late summer 2016.

"The very least you can do in your life is to figure out what you hope for." - Barbara Kingsolver
Joseph Robidoux III

Democratic National Convention 2016

Post by Joseph Robidoux III »

Who in their right mind wants to go to Phoenix in late summer?

MN-Skeptic

Post by MN-Skeptic »

Who in their right mind wants to go to Phoenix in late summer?The same bright folks who come to Minneapolis for the Super Bowl in February?

Joe Biden: "Wearing masks is not a political statement. It's a scientific imperative."

It’s the pandemic, stupid!
magdalen77

Post by magdalen77 »

Philly, Philly, Philly..... :cheer: :cheer: :cheer:Come on, the last convention in Philly was the one that nominated GWB. We need to get rid of those memories.

Sterngard Friegen

Post by Sterngard Friegen »

Why didn't Malibu get an RFP request? :(( [spoil]We don't have hookers, but that will just keep the Republicans away.[/spoil]

SueDB

Post by SueDB »

Who in their right mind wants to go to Phoenix in late summer?Who in their right mind wants to go to Phoenix period? - At least not until they makes some much needed changes. I have a feeling not much will change until Sheruff Jose's is out of the way - after all he's over 80 and slowing down.

“If You're Not In The Obit, Eat Breakfast”

Remember, Orly NEVAH disappoints!
Welsh Dragon

Post by Welsh Dragon »

Off Topic
Back in the days of Birther Bills I was watching the streaming video from the AZ legislature and they were having a heated debate on providing water to participants in election official training scheduled for high summer in Phoenix. My reaction was WTF!

SueDB

Post by SueDB »

Off Topic
Back in the days of Birther Bills I was watching the streaming video from the AZ legislature and they were having a heated debate on providing water to participants in election official training scheduled for high summer in Phoenix. My reaction was WTF!
I think the AZ capitol building is just a large solar collector & oven for baking the brains of the lawmakers.

TexasFilly

Post by TexasFilly »

Detroit???????????????

:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: =)) =)) =)) =)) =)) =))

I love the poorly educated!!!

Kevin McCarthy: Paul Ryan playing with a head injury -- Jon Lovett
Joseph Robidoux III

I hope either Philadelphia or Pittsburg gets the selection although Cleveland, Detroit, Indianapolis or Las Vegas wouldn't be bad picks IMHO.

SueDB

Post by SueDB »

Denver anyone?

bob

Post by bob »

I hope either Philadelphia or Pittsburg gets the selection although Cleveland, Detroit, Indianapolis or Las Vegas wouldn't be bad picks IMHO.The optics on the DNP partying it up in Vegas is horrible. "Whoever the dems nominate in Vegas, ought to stay in Vegas," etc.

Imagex6 Imagex2 Imagex4 Imagex2
Joseph Robidoux III

I neglected to mention I favor Las Vegas only if Republicans announce they are going to hold their convention there first.Democrats would have to hold theirs at the Thomas & Mack Arena because the LV convention facility is owned by Sheldon Adelson.

Joseph Robidoux III

Question for SueDB:

Is the availability of hotel rooms likely keeping Seattle off the list? Washington is a blue state deserving a convention sometime soon.

SueDB

Post by SueDB »

Question for SueDB:

Is the availability of hotel rooms likely keeping Seattle off the list? Washington is a blue state deserving a convention sometime soon.I wouldn't think so. Seattle has hosted lots of things including a World's Fair. It has THE major airport in the northwest.

I think Seattle would be a great place to have a convention. Lots to do - Lots of facilities both downtown and in Bellevue/Redmond.

I get the impression that the city is thought of as too "liberal" though - whatever that means. It's near the headquarters of Costco and Dick's Drive Ins. Both are known to pay more than the minimum wage, make a good profit, and take care of their employees. Businesses don't want that kind of crap to spread.

bob

Post by bob »

I get the impression that the city is thought of as too "liberal" though - whatever that means.Three words: [/break1]wikipedia.org/wiki/1999_Seattle_WTO_protests]W. T. O.

Imagex6 Imagex2 Imagex4 Imagex2
SPen

Post by SPen »

The Dems would really benefit by holding their convention in Columbus. If not there then Las Vegas, or make the pitch in Atlanta in hopes of speeding up Georgia's evolution into a purple state. There could be some benefit of Chicago if Clinton is the nominee though, not to mention that the current president will hopefully have a prominent role.

TexasFilly

Post by TexasFilly »

The Dems would really benefit by holding their convention in Columbus. If not there then Las Vegas, or make the pitch in Atlanta in hopes of speeding up Georgia's evolution into a purple state. There could be some benefit of Chicago if Clinton is the nominee though, not to mention that the current president will hopefully have a prominent role.Does Columbus have hotel room capacity? That's one of many, many problems I see with Detroit.

I love the poorly educated!!!

Kevin McCarthy: Paul Ryan playing with a head injury -- Jon Lovett
Addie

Post by Addie »

[link]TIME,http://time.com/2839333/2016-democratic ... Stories%29[/link]

Brooklyn Eyes 2016 Democratic Convention

New York City making a bid for convention

Brooklyn will make a pitch to host the Democratic National Covention in 2016, New York Mayor Bill de Blasio said Friday.

De Blasio suggested the Barclay’s Center, where the Brooklyn Nets play, as the prospective venue, citing its access to multiple subway lines and proximity to other cultural centers like the Brooklyn Academy of Music and the Brooklyn Museum.

“Our enthusiasm for hosting the DNC is matched only by our capacity to execute large, world class events such as the Super Bowl XLVIII,” de Blasio wrote in a letter to the Democratic National Committee. “We are proud to be the safest big city in the country and the home of the nation’s most extensive public transit system and largest bicycle-share program.”

"The very least you can do in your life is to figure out what you hope for." - Barbara Kingsolver
Sterngard Friegen

What about Malibu? I can put everybody up at FEMA Camp 17.

SuzieC
Occupation: Attorney since 1977. Litigator for 33 years. For 10 years Admin Law Judge for 4 state agencies.

Post by SuzieC »

The Dems would really benefit by holding their convention in Columbus. If not there then Las Vegas, or make the pitch in Atlanta in hopes of speeding up Georgia's evolution into a purple state. There could be some benefit of Chicago if Clinton is the nominee though, not to mention that the current president will hopefully have a prominent role.Does Columbus have hotel room capacity? That's one of many, many problems I see with Detroit.Columbus had roughly 21000 hotel rooms in 2012 when the idea was first floated.Since then, several new hotels have opened including a first class downtown Hilton. How many hotel rooms are needed?

vic

Post by vic »

What about Malibu? I can put everybody up at FEMA Camp 17.And there won't be any worry about Orly disrupting the convention. I understand that the camp is protected by dogs who know how to deal with vermin.NADT

Joseph Robidoux III

Democratic National Committee Chair Debbie Wasserman Schultz today announced six cities have submitted bids to host the 2016 Democratic National Convention. Cities who submitted bids by the deadline are: Birmingham, Cleveland, Columbus, New York, Philadelphia and Phoenix.[/break1]democrats.org/news/press/wasserman_schultz_announces_bids_for_2016_convention]http://www.democrats.org/news/press/was ... conventionBirmingham?Someone has a sense of humor.

Sterngard Friegen

Phoenix would be awesome.

AnitaMaria

Post by AnitaMaria »

According to weatherspark.com, the average high temperature in Phoenix in late summer is about 100 degrees. A convention in Phoenix in the summer strikes me as just as bad an idea as the Superbowl in Minneapolis (which will be happening in 2018, but that's because the NFL has to give Minnesota and Minneapolis at least a little bit in return for all the tax money we poured into the new Vikings stadium. Other cities and states will be more reluctant to do that if they don't think they'll get at least one Superbowl in return.)

Return to “Presidential Election”