CIA assessment: Russia helped Trump win & Senate knew it

TexasFilly

Re: CIA assessment: Russia helped Trump win & Senate knew it

Post by TexasFilly » Mon Jul 10, 2017 11:32 am

"Yes, Jared and I are hot shot businessmen. We value our time and are tremendously busy people.
So, when I was invited to a meeting with someone whose name I did not know and had no idea what the meeting was about, I dropped everything, and dragged Jared and Manafort along. "

That makes so much sense!
I love the poorly educated!!!

I never repeat myself. I never repeat myself. Trump 2/25/16

Addie

Post by Addie » Mon Jul 10, 2017 11:45 am

Also, too, from a timeline at The Hill:
Rob Goldstone, a music publicist who has been active with the Miss Universe pageant, told The Washington Post that he had arranged the meeting between Trump Jr. and Veselnitskaya per the request of a client he would not name.

Goldstone is a manager of Russian pop singer Emin Agalarov, whose father sponsored the 2013 Moscow pageant.
Adding:
ThinkProgress: The music video that connects President Trump to his son’s meeting with a Kremlin-backed lawyer ...

Aras Agalarov [the father] also appears in the partially unverified Steele dossier on Trump, compiled by a former British intelligence officer.
Addie wrote:The Atlantic
If There Was No Collusion, It Wasn’t for Lack of Trying ...

Trump Jr. then changed his story, claiming he’d been promised only information relevant to the campaign, by an intermediary he met at the 2013 Miss Universe pageant, owned by his father and hosted in Moscow. (The Washington Post later identified him as Rob Goldstone, a music publicist who said he was working on behalf of an unnamed Russian client.) Trump Jr. brought his brother-in-law Jared Kushner and then-Trump campaign manager Paul Manafort to the meeting. He said that attorney Natalia Veselnitskaya offered him damaging information about Hillary Clinton, but that when it became clear she did not have the goods he ended the meeting.
Kendra wrote:
Edit: I can't recall which of these stories on Jr. mentioned it, but I saw a note that the person who set this meeting up, that he met in 2013 - that he had met that person at the Miss Universe pageant. That would be Moscow, right? Not just a person he met somewhere in his travels in 2013, but someone in Moscow.
¡Qué vergüenza!

Addie

Post by Addie » Mon Jul 10, 2017 12:26 pm

VOX
Trump/Russia leaks came from inside the White House

Why three White House advisers might have wanted to leak a fuller account of Donald Trump Jr.’s Russian lawyer meeting. ...

So once the first story was published, the White House may have taken stock of what they knew (Senior Adviser Jared Kushner was at the meeting so knew all about it) and decided it was better to just dump the fuller story out there, rather than have it inevitably leak later on. Call this the “I guess we should fess up” scenario.

It’s also noteworthy that the story puts forward a version of events in which Trump Jr. was the primary driver behind this meeting, and Kushner didn’t know much about it beforehand.

So it’s possible that Kushner (who is, remember, a White House adviser) or people close to him may have wanted to shape the story in a way that made Kushner look relatively good — fearing the alternative, that a sketchier and more innuendo-filled account of Kushner having another strange meeting with a Russian would leak eventually. This is the “make Jared look good” scenario.

Finally, there’s the possibility that, as Josh Marshall posits, the leak is “either to get ahead of something much more damaging or get a first crack at shaping the public understanding of something much more damaging.” Call this the “pre-spinning a very bad story” scenario. ...

To really understand whether the motivation here is belated disclosure, self-preservation, or preemption, though, we’d of course have to know whether there is in fact more to the story of this mysterious meeting involving Trump Jr. and Kushner, or of other meetings and Russian collusion more generally. And we don’t know that yet.
¡Qué vergüenza!

Tiredretiredlawyer
Occupation: Permanent probationary slave to 5 dogs, 2 cats, the neighbor's cat, and 1 horse

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer » Mon Jul 10, 2017 1:28 pm

pipistrelle wrote:
Kendra wrote:
pipistrelle wrote: He's saying exactly what he means.

Jeb, Mario, Ted, et al, must be wondering how they could have gone so, so wrong.
I think I read it on The Hill this morning, that Marco Rubio fired off a bit over those comments.
Edit: Wonder who the poor staffers are already booked on this morning's news shows?
I have no sympathy for Huckabee. There's something about her (other than the blatant lying).

Let me suggest other reasons not to sympathize with her - arrogance, hubris, condescending attitude, willingess to lie at the drop of a hat, her use of Republican gimmicks and false equivalence, etc.
“I’ve been hooked since my first smell of C-4.” Linda Cox, first female Air Force Explosive Ordnance Disposal Technician, first to lead her own unit, go to war, be awarded a Bronze Star, and hold the highest enlisted rank of chief master sergeant.

Suranis

Post by Suranis » Mon Jul 10, 2017 3:58 pm

I'm breaking the 4para rule on this, but the highlighted sentence should show why...

https://thesternfacts.com/proof-trump-k ... 68fd2621b8
Donald Trump personally knows Rob Goldstone, who setup a meeting with the top of the Trump campaign and a Russian agent of influence.

PROOF: Trump Knows Agent Who Setup Russian Meeting With Trump Jr.
Photos from the Las Vegas Trump Hotel where Emin Agalarov (center of both images) met with Donald Trump. Agalarov’s manager Rob Goldstone is highlighted with a red arrow, to his left is Trump’s personal lawyer Michael D. Cohen.

Donald Trump personally knows the agent and the Russian Oligarchs he represented, who set up a meeting with an unregistered Russian agent, whom the New York Times’ bombshell report uncovered offering a deal for stolen emails during last year’s presidential campaign.

This story’s cover photo proves conclusively that Donald Trump knows Rob Goldstone, the agent to Emin Agalarov who admitted to the Washington Post that he arranged the meeting.

Photos from closing the Miss Universe Moscow deal in 2013 are conclusive.

Donald Trump Jr. denied that his father knew about the secret meeting with a Russian agent offering stolen emails, but changed his story about the meeting from one day to the next.
Rob Goldstone on June 17th, 2013, the day he met with Donald Trump. Source: Facebook.

Then, Donald Trump Jr. shockingly admitted that it was “clear to me that this was the true agenda all along and that the claims of potentially helpful information were a pretext for the meeting.”

Furthermore, Trump Jr. said that the unregistered Russian agent brought up sanctions that Putin wants to be dropped, which started in 2012 when Congress adopted the Magnitsky Act.

This story is the first major smoking gun that the Trump Campaign colluded with Russia.

It’s also illegal for a campaign to knowingly solicit anything of value from a foreign agent, person or government under the FEC Act.

Based upon photographic evidence related to the 2013 Miss Universe pageant, we only know that Trump and his lawyer knew the Agalarovs.
Photo: Trump meeting with Emin Agalarov and Goldstone (left) Inset: Photo of Rob Goldstone from 2013 Miss USA Pageant where he was a judge.

Democratic Coalition co-founder Scott Dworkin found the photo of that meeting in late May of this year, and it went viral in an earlier story debunking the blanket alibi proffered by Donald Trump’s personal lawyer Michael D. Cohen claiming he had no Kremlin connections.

Rob Goldstone is Emin Agalarov’s manager, whose father is a Russian oligarch who arranged Miss Universe Moscow.

Goldstone even posted a selfie on to Facebook publicly on June 17th, 2013, which visually confirms his personal acquaintance with Donald Trump.

Notably, Donald Trump Jr. was not present for their Las Vegas meeting to close the deal bringing the pageant to Moscow and he’s absent from official photos of that year’s Miss Universe contest as well.

Rob Goldstone was even a Miss USA 2013** pageant judge, according to the Las Vegas Sun, and he worked as a judge for the Miss Universe 2017 preliminaries earlier this year.

Donald Trump met Rob Goldstein, and his client Emin Agalarov — with whom he appeared in a music video (below) — and his oligarch father, Aras Agalarov in Las Vegas and published still photos of themselves working to close the deal to bring Miss Universe 2013 to Moscow along with the event announcement.

Donald J. Trump

@realDonaldTrump

@AgalarovAras I had a great weekend with you and your family. You have done a FANTASTIC job. TRUMP TOWER-MOSCOW is next. EMIN was WOW!
4:39 PM - 11 Nov 2013

The AP reports that Donald Trump was at Trump Tower on the day of the meeting, Thursday, June 9th, 2016.

Trump was joined by 60 supporters, and then-RNC Chair Reince Priebus, to kick off his campaign’s lagging fund raising in the wake of his racial insults hurled at the federal judge presiding over the Trump University fraud and racketeering trial.

He sent this tweet about Hillary Clinton’s email that day.
Donald J. Trump

@realDonaldTrump

How long did it take your staff of 823 people to think that up--and where are your 33,000 emails that you deleted?
9:40 PM - 9 Jun 2016
Lots more photos and info at the link.

So my Son, Son in law and Campaign manager met with the Russians WHILE I WAS IN THE BUILDING, doing a Campaign event, and I knew nothing about it. Seems legit.

I think that might the story they could be trying to get ahead of. :D
"I think its pretty troubling when a backyard decoration comes out swinging harder against Nazis than the President of the United States." - Stephen Colbert

Kendra

Post by Kendra » Mon Jul 10, 2017 4:23 pm

Nice find. This is interesting to note:
It’s not clear who translated for Russian lawyer Natalia Veselnitskaya at her Trump Campaign meeting, because none of the participants Paul Manafort, Jared Kushner and Donald Trump Jr. speak Russian and she told a Federal court that she does not even speak English, according a sworn statement in the Prevezon case uncovered by the Democratic Coalition.

Dan1100

Post by Dan1100 » Mon Jul 10, 2017 4:34 pm

There is no way that Fredo Don Jr. has told us the whole truth.

He is lying in the same way every scumbag who gets caught lying, trying to tell a little bit more of the truth each time to talk his way out of it.
Answer: "There is no weed."
Question: "What about this weed."
Answer: "Oh, that weed. That's not my weed."
Question: "We found it locked in your glove compartment with your fingerprints on the bag."
Answer: "Okay, it's my weed, but I don't know anything about the dead hooker."
"Let's say you're on trial for armed robbery. You say to the judge, 'I forgot armed robbery was illegal.' "

-Steve Martin

Suranis

Post by Suranis » Mon Jul 10, 2017 11:47 pm

Just for contest, the day that Jr met with this woman Daddy sent his first "Her EMAILS!!" twit. People never thought it could be the sign of a guilty conscience...

But... yes... Don Jr arranged for the meeting IN AN EMAIL.

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/07/10/us/p ... idacy.html
WASHINGTON — Before arranging a meeting with a Kremlin-connected Russian lawyer he believed would offer him compromising information about Hillary Clinton,Donald Trump Jr. was informed in an email that the material was part of a Russian government effort to aid his father’s candidacy, according to three people with knowledge of the email.

The email to the younger Mr. Trump was sent by Rob Goldstone, a publicist and former British tabloid reporter who helped broker the June 2016 meeting. In a statement on Sunday, Mr. Trump acknowledged that he was interested in receiving damaging information about Mrs. Clinton, but gave no indication that he thought the lawyer might have been a Kremlin proxy.

Mr. Goldstone’s message, as described to The New York Times by the three people, indicates that the Russian government was the source of the potentially damaging information. It does not elaborate on the wider effort by Moscow to help the Trump campaign.

There is no evidence to suggest that the promised damaging information was related to Russian government computer hacking that led to the release of thousands of Democratic National Committee emails. The meeting took place less than a week before it was widely reported that Russian hackers had infiltrated the committee’s servers.
https://www.nytimes.com/2017/07/10/us/p ... idacy.html

A fucking Email. For those that don't realize this, when you send an email it does not flow to its destination like water, but is actually copied from server to server till it reaches your mail server. Basically each server sends the data to the next server in the chain. Copies of these can be, and are kept. And subpoenaed. Email is convenient, but is actually the least private form of communication.

Don Jr might be like most abused kids and scared shitless of his father, but if I was his lawyer I would be yelling at him to roll over on Daddy, because Trump will cut him off in 10 seconds to save his skin. Giving the P is the only ammo that he might have to cut a deal, and he has access to all the Juicy records of the Trump organization.

By contrast, if I was in the rotten shell of that org I would be quietly cutting off Don Jrs access as we speak. If Donny Isnt yelling down the phone to do it he's an idiot... well, ya.

The Drudge Report just turned on Trump. The Red link is the link to the above story. The Drudge Rat has just jumped off the Ship, and where Drudge goes the Mass of rats follow.

Sean Hannity prerecorded his show tonight and it went down like a lead balloon.
"I think its pretty troubling when a backyard decoration comes out swinging harder against Nazis than the President of the United States." - Stephen Colbert

Danraft

Post by Danraft » Tue Jul 11, 2017 12:18 am

So... is it possible that we are missing the point?
This meeting was set-up...
And, what they want to talk about has to be done in "code".
So. What the obtuse Trump (take your pick) was not connecting the dots woth...
She was telling him that they had dirt on Trump.
That they had accepted contrul8butions from Russia.
They had the goods.
"So many people make donations they shouldn't?"
Come on.
That is a proverbial 2X4 upside the head.

Addie

Post by Addie » Tue Jul 11, 2017 9:59 am

Politico Mag: GOP Researcher Who Sought Clinton Emails Had Alt-Right Help

Peter Smith’s quixotic effort to obtain Hillary Clinton’s deleted emails from Russian hackers got a boost from a pro-Trump activist with White House ties.
¡Qué vergüenza!

MN-Skeptic

Post by MN-Skeptic » Tue Jul 11, 2017 11:05 am

Addie wrote:
Politico Mag: GOP Researcher Who Sought Clinton Emails Had Alt-Right Help

Peter Smith’s quixotic effort to obtain Hillary Clinton’s deleted emails from Russian hackers got a boost from a pro-Trump activist with White House ties.
From that article, a name we've seen before -
The activists, the journalist-turned-entrepreneur Charles Johnson and his former business partner Pax Dickinson, agreed to help Smith’s quixotic mission, which failed to track down copies of Clinton’s emails. Johnson is a polarizing figure who was banned from Twitter in 2015 after promoting an effort to “take out” a Black Lives Matter activist but maintains ties to White House officials.

bob

Post by bob » Tue Jul 11, 2017 1:38 pm

Daily Caller: John McCain Called For Questioning In Trump Dossier Lawsuit:
Republican Sen. John McCain of Arizona will face questions as part of a defamation lawsuit regarding his role in the leaking of the opposition research dossier former British spy Chris Steele compiled on President Donald Trump.

Two defamation lawsuits, one in the U.K. and one in the U.S., are being brought against Steele and Orbis by attorneys for Cyprus based venture capitalist and tech expert Aleksej Gubarev, who was accused of hacking the Democratic National Committee (DNC) by Steele’s Russian sources.

According to a court document related to the British suit obtained by McClatchy, McCain discussed the dossier with former British Ambassador to Moscow Sir Andrew Wood and they, along with Steele and former Department of State official David Kramer, decided the information should be shared with British and American authorities.

McCain issued a statement on Jan. 11, one day after Buzzfeed News published the explosive dossier, indicating that he had received the document prior to it being made public and “Upon examination of the contents, and unable to make a judgment about their accuracy, [he] delivered the information to the director of the FBI.”

The defendants’ counsel repeatedly reference McCain and Kramer in the court documents, likely as part of their strategy to navigate the defamation allegation by demonstrating the defendants were not acting maliciously but rather out of genuine concern for U.K. and U.S. national security. This contention is made more plausible by the fact that McCain and Kramer, who clearly had no financial motivation, came to the conclusion that the dossier should be shared with authorities.
Imagex4 Imagex2 Imagex2 Imagex2

Tiredretiredlawyer
Occupation: Permanent probationary slave to 5 dogs, 2 cats, the neighbor's cat, and 1 horse

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer » Tue Jul 11, 2017 3:05 pm

http://www.rollcall.com/news/opinion/sh ... ia-scandal?
Opinion: Russia Scandal — Where’s the Caviar Atop the Blini?
Divergent goals for investigations could help president contain crisis

Even in the mud-wrestling arena of contemporary politics, there are tactics that remain off limits, like trolling for dirt from Russian operatives.

In 2000, as top Mitt Romney strategist Stuart Stevens pointed out on Twitter, the Al Gore campaign immediately contacted the FBI when it was sent George W. Bush’s debate materials. And the earlier revelation that the Ronald Reagan campaign had made use of a purloined Jimmy Carter 1980 debate briefing book prompted a congressional investigation.

So, once again, Republicans return to Capitol Hill having to duck questions about Trump and Russia when they presumably would prefer to talk about legislation. Actually, given how well “repeal and replace” is going in the Senate, Republicans might simply prefer a rousing game of Duck, Duck, Goose.

What is confusing about the Trump administration’s Russian front is that nobody in Congress, the media or the electorate knows for certain whether this is another Watergate or another Whitewater, the Clinton scandal that produced a haze of smoke, but little else.
“I’ve been hooked since my first smell of C-4.” Linda Cox, first female Air Force Explosive Ordnance Disposal Technician, first to lead her own unit, go to war, be awarded a Bronze Star, and hold the highest enlisted rank of chief master sergeant.

Addie

Post by Addie » Wed Jul 12, 2017 5:40 pm

WSJ: Russian Officials Overheard Discussing Trump Associates Before Campaign Began

U.S. intelligence starting in the spring of 2015 detected conversations in which Russian government officials discussed meetings with Trump associates
¡Qué vergüenza!

Dan1100

Post by Dan1100 » Wed Jul 12, 2017 5:59 pm

I don't know if this deserves its own thread, but . . .

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/07/12/us/p ... mails.html
Democrats Sue Trump Campaign Over Leaked Emails Tied to Russia

Washington — Two Democratic Party donors and a former party staff member have filed an invasion of privacy lawsuit against President Trump’s campaign and a longtime informal adviser, Roger J. Stone Jr., accusing them of conspiring in the release of hacked Democratic emails and files that exposed their personal information to the public.

The case was organized by Protect Democracy, a government watchdog group run by former Obama administration lawyers. It filed the claim just short of a deadline under a one-year statute of limitations for privacy invasion lawsuits: WikiLeaks published the first archives of stolen Democratic National Committee emails, which intelligence agencies say Russia hacked to harm Hillary Clinton’s presidential campaign and help Mr. Trump, last July 22.

Mr. Trump and his political advisers, including Mr. Stone, have repeatedly denied colluding with Russia, and the 44-page complaint, filed on Wednesday in the Federal District Court for the District of Columbia, does not contain any hard evidence that his campaign did. But it is seeking to depose witnesses and obtain campaign emails and other documents during the discovery process that is a standard part of lawsuits.

If a judge permits the case to reach that stage, the lawsuit would become a new and independent fact-finding investigation into the Trump-Russia issue — one that is overseen by a judge rather than by congressional Republicans, like the oversight inquiries conducted by the House and Senate Intelligence Committees, or by the Trump administration, like the criminal inquiry led by the special counsel, Robert S. Mueller III.
"Let's say you're on trial for armed robbery. You say to the judge, 'I forgot armed robbery was illegal.' "

-Steve Martin

gupwalla

Post by gupwalla » Wed Jul 12, 2017 7:57 pm

Busy day at work prepping for mid-year operations reviews, so I didn't even have time to multitask the Wray hearing, but I caught a tiny snippet while refreshing my coffee.

By chance, it was Sen. Graham grilling Wray on the question (in true "both sides" fashion) of what a political candidate should do if offered any kind of material assistance by a foreigner. "Take it to the FBI" was the correct answer, which Graham gave much more forcefully than Wray was prepared to do (but Wray at least acknowledged that it would be a legal concern).

Graham is absolutely correct here, but I'm not aware (yet) of anyone posing questions along that line to Don Jr. Did he discuss the meeting with the FBI? If not, did anyone else in the meeting discuss it with the FBI on behalf of the group? And if either of those questions is answered in the affirmative, did Don Jr. and the rest of the group heed the FBI's law enforcement guidance on the matter? And regardless of the answers to the above, did Don Jr. or anyone in the meeting take any steps to use any fruits of the meeting for the benefit of the Trump campaign?

The timeline is really critical here. The DNC was hacked over a number of months from autumn 2015 through at least March 2016. In around March 2016, operatives such as Podesta were hacked. The "Russian Lawyer Meeting" and its scheduling matters covered the period June 3 - June 9, 2016. The first public disclosure that the DNC was hacked was on June 14 * and the first attribution of Russia as the culprit was on June 15 (by CrowdStrike). (It looks like the WaPo story may have been edited with the Russian connection; I am taking FactCheck.org at their word on the timing.) The first publication of DNC e-mails by Wikileaks was July 22, 2016. The FBI first publicly confirmed it was investigating the intrusion on July 25, 2016, but there is no indication of when exactly that investigation began.

That's probably messier than it needs to be. I just want to point out, for maximum fairness and objectivity, that no information currently public would suggest that Don Jr. would have been aware on June 3 of the full scope and breadth of Russia's cyberintrusion. That doesn't exonerate Don Jr. if he didn't tell the FBI what was going on, but maybe it adds some perspective about what his expectations might have been going into the meeting.

That said, the e-mail from Goldstone is so specific as to almost be a set-up. Goldstone very clearly says that the purpose of the meeting is for a representative of the Russian government to share information that it believed would be beneficial to Trump's campaign, and also implied that the Russian government had an existing and continuing interest in supporting the Trump campaign.

So the next question is, who is stupider? Don Jr. for taking a meeting that smells so much like a set-up, or Goldstone for spelling out the plan so explicitly, as if he wanted to make life much easier for any prosecutors who might one day get wind of the meeting?

[*] https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/na ... c8d56743cf
In a wilderness of mirrors, what will the spider do beyond the circuit of the shuddering Bear in fractured atoms? -TS Eliot (somewhat modified)

All warfare is based on deception. - Sun Tzu

Foggy

Post by Foggy » Wed Jul 12, 2017 9:25 pm

If Donald the Lesser, Manafort, or Kushner had gone to the FBI after the meeting, we would know that by now. :smoking:
♪ ♫ Human kindness is overflowin',
And I think it's goin'
To rain today. ♫ ♪

Addie

Post by Addie » Fri Jul 14, 2017 1:57 pm

WIRED
Did Trump's Data Team Help Russians? Facebook Might Have the Answer

As speculation mounts about whether President Trump’s digital team helped Russia target voters with fake news during the 2016 election, the campaign’s former digital director Brad Parscale has agreed to an interview with the House Intelligence Committee. But if investigators really want to get to the bottom of how foreign propagandists tried to sway voters, the answer may lie within Facebook's servers.

Parscale tweeted a statement about his decision to meet with committee members Friday morning, defending the work his San Antonio firm Giles-Parscale did for the campaign. Parscale rejected the notion that his team shared data with Russian operatives to help them target receptive voters. In his statement, Parscale says the campaign “used the exact same digital marketing strategies that are used everyday by corporate America.” And he specifically points out how closely the campaign worked with Facebook, Google, and Twitter.

The campaign had designated liaisons from both Facebook and Google working inside Parscale's San Antonio-based office, who were intimately involved in the inner workings of the digital and data team, according to Parscale's statement. They helped carry out an effort of great scale and sophistication. During the campaign, the Trump campaign ran up to 50,000 variants of its Facebook ads a day, learning which ones resonated best with voters. It also deployed so-called “dark posts,” non-public paid posts that only appear in the News Feeds of the people the advertiser chooses.

Parscale has credited that collaboration with delivering Trump's victory. "Facebook and Twitter were the reason we won this thing," Parscale told WIRED shortly after the election. "Twitter for Mr. Trump. And Facebook for fundraising." ...

The investigation may give Congress the opportunity to shed some light on another opaque digital company, the data analytics firm Cambridge Analytica. Few political vendors have garnered notoriety as quickly as the data-driven campaign firm, backed by the Trump campaign’s top financier, Robert Mercer, which claims to be able to target individuals based on a uniquely detailed database of psychographic information. Some have charged the company with engaging in “psychological warfare," while others allege that the firm has inflated its abilities.
¡Qué vergüenza!

Lani

Post by Lani » Sat Jul 15, 2017 9:50 pm

https://mobile.twitter.com/i/moments/86 ... 2849910784

Long thread about Parscale worth reading. Here's the title: Parscale's Sedition
How Mercer/Parscale Used SCL/CA To Collude With Wikileaks/Russia

Understanding the methodology and creating our own to counter it will be essential for Democrats to win back Congress and the White House.
Insert signature here: ____________________________________________________

Slartibartfast

Post by Slartibartfast » Sat Jul 15, 2017 11:22 pm

Lani wrote:https://mobile.twitter.com/i/moments/86 ... 2849910784

Long thread about Parscale worth reading. Here's the title: Parscale's Sedition
How Mercer/Parscale Used SCL/CA To Collude With Wikileaks/Russia

Understanding the methodology and creating our own to counter it will be essential for Democrats to win back Congress and the White House.
While, as a data scientist, I certainly agree that understanding the methodology is important, I would point out that if the Democrats only focus on the tactics of big data without having a big data strategy then all of their efforts will likely be nothing more than the noise before defeat (see my sig).

Again.
"Strategy without tactics is the slowest route to victory. Tactics without strategy is the noise before defeat."
---Sun Tzu (quoting Thomas Jefferson)
nam-myoho-renge-kyo---Thomas Jefferson (quoting Slartibartfast)

Addie

Post by Addie » Sun Jul 16, 2017 12:39 pm

WSJ (subscription)
South Carolina May Prove a Microcosm of U.S. Election Hacking Efforts

To understand the scale of the hacking attempts against election systems in the 2016 presidential election, consider South Carolina.

On Election Day alone, there were nearly 150,000 attempts to penetrate the state’s voter-registration system, according to a postelection report by the South Carolina State Election Commission.
¡Qué vergüenza!

tek

Post by tek » Sun Jul 16, 2017 6:49 pm

On Election Day alone, there were nearly 150,000 attempts to penetrate the state’s voter-registration system, according to a postelection report by the South Carolina State Election Commission.
For calibration, my home router logs several thousand "penetration attempts" every day. 150,000 doesn't sound like all that high of a number, the profile over time would be more interesting. IMHO, of course.
We are so far down the rabbit hole..

Shizzle Popped

Post by Shizzle Popped » Sun Jul 16, 2017 7:22 pm

tek wrote:For calibration, my home router logs several thousand "penetration attempts" every day. 150,000 doesn't sound like all that high of a number, the profile over time would be more interesting. IMHO, of course.
Exactly. Numbers like this are surely due to automated tools banging away at the network over and over looking for any possible vulnerabilities. When I was in information security around a decade ago our average daily penetration attempts were well over 100K. I'm sure they're much higher today.
If a deficit spending, constant golfing, blame shirking, Russia lover is your guy then the next time somebody asks "Hey conservatives,do you love America?" you have to say "Sure,but not as much as I love my side winning."
Neal Brennan

Addie

Post by Addie » Thu Jul 20, 2017 11:29 am

New York Daily News
Obama administration was ready to use military and armed guards to stop Election Day hacks, report reveals

The Obama administration was ready to use armed guards and the military to stop potential hacking on Election Day, a newly unveiled report reveals.

An unclassified planning document obtained by Time lays out the “enhanced procedures” the White House was prepared to take if any “malicious cyber activity” was detected during voting. The 15-page plan was put together in October, several months after the administration learned about Russia’s attempts to influence the election through cyber hacking.

According to the document, the government was ready to deploy “armed federal law enforcement agents” if hackers interfered with voting. It would also keep “Active and Reserve” military and National Guard forces on duty and under the direction of President Barack Obama and Defense Secretary Ash Carter.

The efforts to fight back against hackers were expected to extend beyond Election Day. The document says there would be an interagency effort to monitor “any post-election cyber incidents” for three days after the vote, including “planted stories” that would question the results.
¡Qué vergüenza!

Addie

Post by Addie » Fri Jul 21, 2017 10:23 am

WaPo OpEd - Denis McDonough
Obama stood up to Russian interference. Now Trump must follow through.

I have watched with concern the tone, substance and trajectory of the national debate about Russian efforts to interfere in the 2016 U.S. presidential election. I write today to set the record straight about the events of last fall and, more important, to ensure that we as a nation do not lose sight of what happened — and what we must do to preserve our democracy.

On Oct. 7, as part of a painstaking intelligence, homeland security and diplomatic effort to safeguard the integrity of our election infrastructure and the sanctity of each American’s vote, the homeland security secretary and director of national intelligence released an unprecedented joint statement about an unprecedented development. In that statement, these two senior officials stated unequivocally that the Russian government, had directed the theft of emails from U.S. “persons and institutions. . . . These thefts and disclosures are intended to interfere with the U.S. election process. . . . (and) only Russia’s senior-most officials could have authorized these activities.”

The events that led to that public statement began last summer, as national security professionals in the government grew increasingly concerned about Russian intentions to interfere in our election. President Barack Obama directed his staff to brief appropriate members of Congress, prepare possible responses, assess the vulnerabilities of the electoral infrastructure, and help state and local election authorities secure their networks.

Congressional briefings began in early August and finished once Congress returned to Washington after the summer recess. At that point, the president invited the majority and minority leaders of the House and Senate to the White House, ostensibly to discuss the budget and his trip to Asia. The real purpose of this meeting was to discuss the alarming news about Russian ambitions to interfere with the election and ask the four leaders to draft a statement of concern. This joint, bipartisan statement was thought by the White House to be particularly important since state and local authorities had been reluctant to accept the assistance being offered by the Department of Homeland Security, and we believed a bipartisan statement would help persuade them to put aside their concerns and work with the federal government to protect our election infrastructure.
¡Qué vergüenza!

Return to “Presidential Election”