Polyphonic Overtone Singing

Post by John Thomas8 »

Amazing stuff:

raison de arizona
Verified: ✔️ he/him/his

Post by raison de arizona »

like Mongolian throat singing
“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams
John Thomas8

Post by John Thomas8 »

raison de arizona wrote: Thu Nov 09, 2023 7:56 pm like Mongolian throat singing
Might as well make it an interesting hijack:

keith
Occupation: Retired Computer Systems Analyst Project Manager Super Coder
Verified: ✅lunatic

Post by keith »

John Thomas8 wrote: Thu Nov 09, 2023 7:54 pm Amazing stuff:

https: //youtu.be/vC9Qh709gas
Holy corpuscles Dame Nellie!

I used to accidently do something like that back in the day. But not multiple multiples - mainly just two. And yes it was absolutely accidental and I could never do it on purpose.

I am IMPRESSED
Has everybody heard about the bird?
John Thomas8

Post by John Thomas8 »

She popped up in my YT feed (I get very strange things) and was gobsmacked by the talent it takes to do that.

I drum, will never make a stage with it, I'm jealous of folks that can do stuff like this.
northland10
Verified: ✅ I'm me.

Post by northland10 »

Here is a small male choir, Chanson, who does a similar thing at about 2:30 or so into the recording.

I saw another group, Cantus, do something similar in a live performance. It besides the shimmer effect it also sounded like surround sound but the used no amplification. Wild.

101010 :towel:
W. Kevin Vicklund

Post by W. Kevin Vicklund »

In high school, I played around with three different types of polyphonics. I was hit and miss with singing (some days I could do it, others ...), but I also did a hum-and-whistle that had a similar effect as you heard above, which I got pretty good at. Finally, I was able to play two brass instruments simultaneously, either trumpet-trumpet or trumpet-baritone (in middle school, I trained myself to play the trumpet left-handed to help keep track of what section of La Bamba we were playing during a parade). I got to the point of being able to play different scales and a bit of divergence, but never really got to the point of being able to play two different parts. I had daydreams of playing a trumpet baritone duet with myself in state marching band finals.
bill_g
Verified: ✅ Checked Republic ✓ ᵛᵉʳᶦᶠᶦᵉᵈ

Post by bill_g »

Wow! She's fantastic.
MsDaisy 2
Occupation: Retired Medic and a Grandma (AKA Moppie) until I die
Verified:

Post by MsDaisy 2 »

John Thomas8 wrote: Thu Nov 09, 2023 8:00 pm
That was cool! I've never seen a 2 string guitar before, not even when I was married to my 1st Mister in the Army Band. But then what do I know? When I was a kid (single digits) I was told I couldn't carry a tune in a bucket, and the only thing I ever learned to play was the spoons. :lol:
northland10

Post by northland10 »

John Thomas8 wrote: Thu Nov 09, 2023 8:00 pm
In the first recent Dune movie, there was a scene at the preparation of the Sardaukar troops. I found out later that the person doing the chanting was a real person who had learned throat singing after spending time as an opera singer and teaching at a university. I also found that his initial voice teacher in college (before he transferred out west) was somebody I took lessons with in high school (she retired before I was in college there) and her husband was the director of a musical I was in (and was my counselor for Theater merit badge in scouts). Small world.

jez
Verified: ✅ Medicated

Post by jez »

The throat singer in the first video brought the cat running to see what was going on. Must have something in her tone that the cat liked. LOL

For someone that cannot carry a tune in a reinforced bucket, I am in awe of people who can do this. And The Hu has some great music. I am subscribed to their YT channel. :)
“What is better ? to be born good or to overcome your evil nature through great effort ?”

~Paarthurnax
northland10

Post by northland10 »

jez wrote: Fri Nov 10, 2023 8:10 pm The throat singer in the first video brought the cat running to see what was going on. Must have something in her tone that the cat liked. LOL

For someone that cannot carry a tune in a reinforced bucket, I am in awe of people who can do this. And The Hu has some great music. I am subscribed to their YT channel. :)
The cat may be attracted by harmonics that are beyond the range of human hearing (i.e. overtones higher than the fundamental note she was singing). Cats' hearing range is around 48hz to 85khz (probably the max for them) compared to a dog's 67hz to 45khz (we humans can only do 20hz to 20khz on average). Cats have one of the largest ranges, but they still cannot appreciate true organ bass lines. Cows, ferrets, and elephants really love the bass.

Return to “Arts, Music, Photography, and stuff like that”