X -Where Twitter goes to die.

pipistrelle

Twitter

Post by pipistrelle »

Suranis wrote: Sun Nov 06, 2022 1:28 pm well you could just copy the link and slap urls tag around it, then paste the text. That will cut off all the loading times and stuff. I realise doing stuff like chopping specific parts of a link off is hard on a phone so I'm not going to be unreasonable.
Grabbing text from a tweet on a phone is pretty difficult for me and takes more than a few attempts plus it keeps loading Twitter. So unless I'm at computer (not always), I don't. If I am, I do, but even then it takes a couple of tries.
humblescribe
Verified:

Twitter

Post by humblescribe »

Musk comes from the world of Tesla and SpaceX. I cannot comment on SpaceX, but I can say unequivocally that Tesla has never advertised outside of their web presence.

Their advertising was through word-of-mouth, their growing Supercharger network, and retail sales and service centers with their name prominently displayed. (That said, there may have been occasional product placement in movies and TV.) At one time Tesla did have a small public relations department, but Musk disbanded that a few years back.

It is not surprising that a capitalist like him who has not had to rely upon print, broadcast, web-based, and other forms of advertising would understand the different ways advertising reaches its target audience. But then, his super-sized ego would prevent him from actually hiring marketing experts and following their advice.

Maybe he learns; maybe he doesn't. Guess we're all gonna hafta stay tuned (after a word from our sponsor.)
"Some cause happiness wherever they go; others whenever they go." O. Wilde
Foggy
Dick Tater
Verified: as seen on qvc zombie apocalypse

Twitter

Post by Foggy »

Yanno, I tried deleting my accounts, and I did manage with two of them, but the third one I got stuck. No password, don't remember what email I used to set it up, blah blah blah. :violin:

So I reactivated the two deleted ones, and those are all I have now. But I'll find the keys for the third one soon. :lol:

Anyway, unless all the people I follow leave, I might stick around for a while to see what happens. I'm going back and forth on that, as you see.

I'm not going to tweet, and I'm not going to quote tweets here. I'm hoping for a sane replacement soon. :smoking:

The death blow for me would be if he let people I've blocked unblock themselves from me. That would do it.
🎶 We went for a ride,
We got outside,
The sand was hot,
She wanted to dance ... 🎶
Kriselda Gray
Verified:

Twitter

Post by Kriselda Gray »

Azastan wrote: Sun Nov 06, 2022 12:52 pm
MN-Skeptic wrote: Sat Nov 05, 2022 1:36 pm
Suranis wrote: Sat Nov 05, 2022 1:07 pm I've said this before but I REALLY wish people would just do that and copy and paste the tweet rather than be lazy and post the twitter link. I have a fairly good connection and all I can see is post after post of empty space for up to a couple of minutes.
Could all Twitter quoters please read and re-read this and put this suggestion into practice, please?
While were momentarily talking about simple things we can do to make the Fogbow experience better for each other I'd like to ask people who highlight text in posts to PLEASE take a moment to turn the highlighted text black for those of us on dark backgrounds. When you just highlight it, this is how it looks to us. (<--- that's how it looks to us.)

To change the text to black so it shows up for everyone, all you need to do is - while you still have the text highlighted - click on the color wheel on the top row next to the font size box and select the color black. It makes a world of difference.

I've noticed that some of you have been doing this, and I want to thank you, it is MUCH appreciated!
Kriselda Gray
Verified:

Twitter

Post by Kriselda Gray »

Foggy wrote: Sun Nov 06, 2022 6:17 pmI'm hoping for a sane replacement soon. :smoking:
Counter social seems like a pretty cool place. I haven't been using it a lot (I didn't use twitter that much, either) but the peop.e there are friendly and it's a decidedly progressive place. It's at http://counter.social

I've also heard good things about Mastadon, though I haven't looked at it yet. You start off by either selecting a server to join or starting your own (which, as I understand it is NOT free, but I don't know the cost.) After that, however, you supposedly can talk with, follow, etc. anyone you want. It's at https://mastodon.social
RTH10260
Verified: ✔️ Eurobot

Twitter

Post by RTH10260 »

Elon Musk tries to lure YouTube stars on to Twitter
Platform’s new owner tells video-makers he’s planning ‘creator monetization for all forms of content’

Dan Milmo and Juliette Garside
Sun 6 Nov 2022 18.53 GMT

The anarchic behaviour of YouTubers draws huge online audiences and has turned stars such as MrBeast and Logan Paul into the best-paid entertainers of the internet age. Now Twitter’s new owner, Elon Musk, wants a piece of this lucrative action and will attempt to lure video creators on to the social media platform.

In a series of messages posted on Twitter this weekend, Musk engaged with video-makers, saying he was planning “creator monetization for all forms of content”, and that his company could “beat” the 55% cut of advertising revenue that YouTube gives its top entertainers.

Asked when he would give more details he replied: “Two weeks”.

Although rival sites such as TikTok are rising up the rankings, YouTube generates more money for its creators than any other platform thanks to the scale of its advertising sales, the size of its audience and the structure of its revenue-sharing model.

The best-paid YouTubers earned a collective $300m (£264m) in 2021, according to Forbes, with advertising revenues supplemented by merchandise and back catalogue sales.

https://www.theguardian.com/technology/ ... to-twitter
RTH10260

Twitter

Post by RTH10260 »

Musk is in for a great surprise when he learns how much bandwidth Twitter will need to set up to servce video streaming, and the storage required for video content. It's a different animal than the short videos that can be hosted today on Twitter. Not to think that there are a dozen of other well established video streaming sites that don't have one crazy unpredictable owner. Even Youtubers are opting to have at least one backup platform in case their main host Youtube thinks they have to kick them off of their platform. And they use alternate platforms like Patreon for financial support cause Youtube takes too a large bite from contributions.
sugar magnolia

Twitter

Post by sugar magnolia »

humblescribe wrote: Sun Nov 06, 2022 4:23 pm Musk comes from the world of Tesla and SpaceX. I cannot comment on SpaceX, but I can say unequivocally that Tesla has never advertised outside of their web presence.

Their advertising was through word-of-mouth, their growing Supercharger network, and retail sales and service centers with their name prominently displayed. (That said, there may have been occasional product placement in movies and TV.) At one time Tesla did have a small public relations department, but Musk disbanded that a few years back.

It is not surprising that a capitalist like him who has not had to rely upon print, broadcast, web-based, and other forms of advertising would understand the different ways advertising reaches its target audience. But then, his super-sized ego would prevent him from actually hiring marketing experts and following their advice.

Maybe he learns; maybe he doesn't. Guess we're all gonna hafta stay tuned (after a word from our sponsor.)
I was behind a Tesla on the highway the other day and the only markings on it at all were the Tesla logo front and back. I had to come home and look up the logo just to make sure that's what it was. Very pretty red color, very ugly body style.
RTH10260

Twitter

Post by RTH10260 »

Twitter will ban impersonators, Elon Musk says, as users flock to take his name
After the announcement by Elon Musk, several accounts that had changed their name to his appeared to be suspended

Guardian staff and agencies
Mon 7 Nov 2022 01.13 GMT

Elon Musk has said that any Twitter handles engaging in impersonation without clearly specifying “parody” will be “permanently suspended”, issuing the warning after some celebrities changed their display names and tweeted as “Elon Musk”

The new Twitter CEO tweeted on Sunday night: “Previously, we issued a warning before suspension, but now that we are rolling out widespread verification, there will be no warning.”

“Any name change at all” would result in the temporary loss of a verified checkmark, Musk said.

On Sunday evening, several accounts that had changed their name to Elon Musk or approximations of Elon Musk appeared to be suspended or placed behind a warning sign, including those of US comedian Kathy Griffin and Australian satirical website the Chaser.

https://www.theguardian.com/technology/ ... e-his-name
chancery
Verified:

Twitter (merged with the lawsuit thread)

Post by chancery »

https://twitter.com/RainofTerra/status/ ... 561836544
Terra Field
@RainofTerra
So something I think people should know: the majority of Twitter’s infrastructure when I was interviewing there early in 2022 was bare metal, not cloud. They have their own blob store for storing media. These teams are now gutted, and those things don’t run themselves.

Like, they were still deploying CentOS 7 as of earlier this year. They were building and patching their own kernels. Most of that knowledge is gone between attrition when Luthor started trying to buy them and the layoffs. These things are going to break down over time.

An infrastructure the size of twitters will not fail overnight but it is going to relatively quickly go into a degraded state. The few platform people that remain will have their neck exactly at the waterline. It will not take much to sink. Today is a good day for the fail whale.

Remember: the ongoing “infrastructure costs” on Twitter’s sheets were likely mostly the cost of the people running that infrastructure. They saved billions in the short term by building the world’s biggest footgun.
wijn 🏳️‍⚧️
@wijndeer
Replying to
@RainofTerra
I spent a good amount of time yesterday skimming twitter engineering blog posts and going “oh. yeah that’s not gonna go well.”

it’s not like you can grab a bunch of Accenture contractors and get them up to speed on a fully-custom k/v store during an outage
RTH10260

Twitter

Post by RTH10260 »

I forsee that a group of former Twitter software engineers will create a software mainenance company and sell their knowhow back to Musk for a very handsome consultancy fee. Or one of more of the software giants will pick them up for an inhouse service group with the same target. :biggrin:
Reality Check
Verified: ✅ Curmudgeon

Twitter

Post by Reality Check »

RTH10260 wrote: Sun Nov 06, 2022 8:03 pm Musk is in for a great surprise when he learns how much bandwidth Twitter will need to set up to servce video streaming, and the storage required for video content. It's a different animal than the short videos that can be hosted today on Twitter. :snippity:
You make a good point. The storage and bandwidth issues with video are onerous. I believe YouTube is making 4k video a premium service for those reasons.

ETA: Upon further review it appears YouTube backed down on that.
YouTube ends the test asking users to get a premium subscription to watch 4K videos
Greatgrey
Verified: 💲8️⃣

Twitter

Post by Greatgrey »

Before & After

4C27888D-5C2D-4162-B622-3CC07D15F328.jpeg
4C27888D-5C2D-4162-B622-3CC07D15F328.jpeg (134.82 KiB) Viewed 692 times
1AD4BF1C-CFFA-4EB2-B6EA-B74F2802AFA1.jpeg
1AD4BF1C-CFFA-4EB2-B6EA-B74F2802AFA1.jpeg (221.01 KiB) Viewed 692 times
What's the Frequency, Kenneth?
Volkonski
Verified:

Twitter

Post by Volkonski »

Well, that is one reason not to leave Twitter.
“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.” ― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace
dan1100

Twitter

Post by dan1100 »

A general observation on the tech differences between twitter and mastodon.

These are screenshots of each from ublock origin's ad filtering. As you can see, twitter is serving up all kinds of garbage that gets blocked while mastodon is clean.

I'm not sure if Mastodon and it's decentralized architecture is going to be able to scale up to be the "next twitter" or not, but not serving up tons of garbage has got to make it easier.
twitter.jpt.jpg
twitter.jpt.jpg (39.54 KiB) Viewed 675 times
mast.jpg
mast.jpg (23.29 KiB) Viewed 675 times
pipistrelle

Twitter

Post by pipistrelle »

The self-importance behind that inane recommendation.
raison de arizona
Verified: ✔️ he/him/his

Twitter

Post by raison de arizona »

He's so clever!
https://twitter.com/elonmusk/status/1589649285880385536
Elon Musk @elonmusk wrote: What do you call someone who is a master at baiting?
“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams
pipistrelle

Twitter

Post by pipistrelle »

raison de arizona wrote: Mon Nov 07, 2022 11:52 am He's so clever!
Looks like it was deleted right quick.
Azastan
Verified:

Twitter

Post by Azastan »

raison de arizona wrote: Mon Nov 07, 2022 11:52 am He's so clever!
This is yet another reason why the text of the tweet should be copied and pasted.

If we didn't see it before it got deleted, we no longer have any idea of what was said.
Phoenix520
Verified:

Twitter

Post by Phoenix520 »

I think cancel culture is another whack RW brain fart. But… can we please cancel this massively ego’d dork? :confuzzled: Make no mistake, Elon is a dork of the first order.
Suranis

Twitter

Post by Suranis »

There appears to be further context to the above. Pic of the dirty screen is at the link.

https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/musk- ... erbatedone
Elon Musk deleted a tweet where he called the Mastodon social media platform "Masterbatedone."
Rating:
True

On Nov. 7, 2022, Elon Musk tweeted, "If you don't like Twitter anymore, there is awesome site called Masterbatedone." The tweet referenced Mastodon, an ad-free, decentralized, and open source social media platform that some users had opted to join after Musk became the new owner of Twitter in the fall of 2022.

Musk's tweet was later deleted. However, the Wayback Machine on the Internet Archive saved a snapshot of the message before it was removed. This confirmed that it was not a fake tweet.

Musk's tweet included a picture of a dirty screen with what appeared to be a hair or piece of fabric on it. On the screen, messages were visible from Paul Krugman, a columnist with The New York Times. One user posted a screenshot of the tweet and said, "Surprised it took him this long to snap a photo of his gray pube-ridden screen." It's unclear if the object was a pubic hair or something else.
Hic sunt dracones
Suranis

Twitter

Post by Suranis »

Phoenix520 wrote: Mon Nov 07, 2022 1:07 pm I think cancel culture is another whack RW brain fart. But… can we please cancel this massively ego’d dork? :confuzzled: Make no mistake, Elon is a dork of the first order.
There's so much advantages to allowing Irish or Scottish speech here. Like "What a Gobshite!" Comes from the gaelic for Mouth "Gob."
Figure out "shite" for yourself. :mrgreen:
Hic sunt dracones
Dr. Ken

Twitter

Post by Dr. Ken »

ImageImagePhilly Boondoggle
Gupwalla

Twitter

Post by Gupwalla »

Twitter advertising now thinks I am a good audience for NFT sales pitches. I am not. Either the algorithms are failing, or that’s about what they’ve got left to sell me.
neeneko

Twitter

Post by neeneko »

Gupwalla wrote: Mon Nov 07, 2022 5:47 pm Twitter advertising now thinks I am a good audience for NFT sales pitches. I am not. Either the algorithms are failing, or that’s about what they’ve got left to sell me.
Trying to recall which, but wasn't one of the major investors who joined Musk one of the big crypto exchanges?

Return to “Law and Lawsuits”