Spring forward.
To delete this message, click the X at top right.

Arizona behaving badly and otherwise

Gregg

Post by Gregg »

neeneko wrote: Thu Dec 01, 2022 6:11 am
Sam the Centipede wrote: Thu Dec 01, 2022 5:50 am There will certainly be many sociological and political theses written in attempts to untangle "wtf were they all thinking then?"
I kinda wish I could freeze myself for a few centuries so I could read all the research on the 'transition age of social media'. I blame the human brain just not coping well with the internet and how information propagates now. We just are not wired for these scales.
You'd wake up on the Planet of the Apes.
Supreme Commander, Imperial Illuminati Air Force
:dog:

You don't have to consent, but I'm gonna tase you anyway.
Ben-Prime
Verified: ✅MamaSaysI'mBonaFide

Post by Ben-Prime »

Gregg wrote: Thu Dec 01, 2022 9:47 pm
neeneko wrote: Thu Dec 01, 2022 6:11 am
Sam the Centipede wrote: Thu Dec 01, 2022 5:50 am There will certainly be many sociological and political theses written in attempts to untangle "wtf were they all thinking then?"
I kinda wish I could freeze myself for a few centuries so I could read all the research on the 'transition age of social media'. I blame the human brain just not coping well with the internet and how information propagates now. We just are not wired for these scales.
You'd wake up on the Planet of the Apes.
And Dr. Zaius' dissertation was on the shift from *metaphorical* flung monkey poo to *literal* flung monkey poo during social media 'debates'.
But the sunshine aye shall light the sky,
As round and round we run;
And the truth shall ever come uppermost,
And justice shall be done.

- Charles Mackay, "Eternal Justice"
tek

Post by tek »

UPDATE: During the 15-minute recess before this ruling was issued, the Cochise County supervisors' lawyer — who was not present at the hearing — filed a motion to move the court proceedings from state court to a federal district court...that doesn't exist
Well THAT would have showed them!
Gupwalla

Post by Gupwalla »

It might have showed them. It also might have been interpreted as a typo and leniently corrected in the interpretation by the courts.

But what actually happened is, the state judge who was in the middle of hearing this case did not receive word of this removal in time to prevent him from ordering the Board to perform its ministerial duty to certify the election. Then the Board certified the election. And now the whole issue is moot.

Even if removal was valid, and even if the state judge’s order is nullified, there is no longer a case or controversy for the courts to decide.
Jim

Post by Jim »

Hobbs is going to have a case/controversy in the court real soon...

Hobbs' office sends criminal referral on 2 Cochise County supervisors
Cochise County Supervisors Tom Crosby and Peggy Judd knowingly violated state law and should be investigated for potential criminal and civil offenses for delaying the canvass of the general election results, Secretary of State Katie Hobbs' office stated in a referral to Arizona Attorney General Mark Brnovich.

The referral comes a day after the supervisors were forced by a court order to certify election results ― although the letter specifically notes that Crosby failed to attend the court-ordered canvass.

The letter lays out evidence, culled from public meetings and public statements, to buttress the claim that the law was violated. It included Judd's statement earlier this week to the New York Times that the county's objections to how tabulation machines were certified was "the only thing we have to stand on" to not certify the Nov. 8 returns.

"Supervisors Crosby and Judd knew they had a statutory requirement to certify the election results by Nov. 28, but instead chose to act in violation of the law, putting false election narratives ahead of Cochise County voters," the letter, signed by state Elections Director Kori Lorick, states.
Kendra

Post by Kendra »

Day 8 of the MAGA protest to demand a new election in AZ. Let’s play count the spelling errors.
raison de arizona
Verified: ✔️ he/him/his

Post by raison de arizona »

Here's a bunch of nonsense:
Explainer:
► Show Spoiler
“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams
raison de arizona

Bobb sticking her nose into it.
Barry Markson @BarryMarkson1 wrote: You’re an attorney but you don’t understand what censorship means or anything about AZ election law. I’m getting a better idea why your client, Trump, is having so many legal problems.
Christina Bobb @christina_bobb wrote: Unreal! Katie Hobbs’s office contacts Twitter to have posts removed! So, the democrat candidate, who ran the AZ election, censored her political opponents, disrupted Election Day votes, and then threatened counties with prosecution if they didn’t declare her the winner.
“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams
northland10
Verified: ✅ I'm me.

Post by northland10 »

Speaking of Josh Barnett, he had sued Maricopa County and Katie Hobbs in Superior court, trying to have the election annulled or something.

https://www.democracydocket.com/wp-cont ... dgment.pdf

It was dismissed
https://www.democracydocket.com/wp-cont ... ssal-1.pdf

An interesting name came up in the order.
aScreenshot 2022-12-04 212444.jpg
aScreenshot 2022-12-04 212444.jpg (86.72 KiB) Viewed 794 times
Donofrio returns and he is not done yet.

Leo Donofrio, Esq.
@LCDLAW1
·
3h
🚨🚨BARNETT v HOBBS: Emergency Motion to Set Aside Dismissal Due to FRAUD on the Court. Filed 3:43 p.m. MST 12.4.22
101010 :towel:
bob

Post by bob »

Oh, wow.

Articles like this one describe Donofrio as a retired New Jersey lawyer. And that's exactly how the New Jersey bar describes his license.

But he's on Twitter, holding himself out as a lawyer. Now Arizona doesn't disclose its members' names online, so it is possible he got barred again in Arizona. (Or somewhere else; I checked only New York as well, and there was nothing.)

And the whole PHV situation is odd as well. Did Donofrio attempt to join a lawsuit even though he's no longer barred? :shock:

I only skimmed the motion to set aside. Vintage Donofrio; surely he ghostwrote it. Basically claims fraud on the court because the government didn't disclose some baroque plan of Donofrio's invention. Funny how Donofrio's bits work like magic in his head, but never win in the real world. :confuzzled:
Image ImageImage
neonzx
Verified: 🤩✅✅✅✅✅🤩

Post by neonzx »

Wait, whaaa... OUR Donofrio ? Am I caught-up in a timewarp or space-time continuum event?
Sam the Centipede

Post by Sam the Centipede »

Remember the 1960s series The Time Tunnel? It feels like that except the white-coated scientists suddenly squeal "Wait! My instruments are wrong! They say we're lovokng at 2009 but actually it's today!"

I glanced at the linked diatribe. Of course it has the usual guff that the action after injunction is "likely to succeed on the merits" :nope: And who could argue with:
If Plaintiff doesn’t succeed in this case, the descent into administrative tyranny will surely destroy the Republic for Plaintiff, his posterity, and the community he loves.
Oh the humanity!

The main thrust of the legal :lol: argument seems to be that the phrasing:
[The Secretary of State] shall, unless enjoined from doing so by an order of court, [certify the election]
can only mean that enjoining the SoS is explicitly available. If I read correctly, that argument was laughed out of court the first time, but the writer reprises it and claims incorrectly that the SoS counsel argued for that reading at one point.

My non-lawyer reading of the "unless enjoined" phrase is two-fold: it doesn't put the SoS in a position of being both required to do something by law and being required not to do the same thing by a court, but primarily it says the the SoS cannot choose to delay certification not can any other body or person (except maybe a court) instruct the SoS to delay.

So usual birther blather and repetitious repetition of repeated dead-on-arrival arguments.
Foggy
Dick Tater
Verified: as seen on qvc zombie apocalypse

Post by Foggy »

Everything old is new again.

But seriously, did you want a movement of utter whacko birds without Leo Donofrio?

:nope:
Out from under. :thumbsup:
raison de arizona

https://twitter.com/Garrett_Archer/stat ... 1127141378
The AZ - abc15 - Data Guru @Garrett_Archer wrote: BREAKING: Arizona's 2022 General Election is now canvassed.

Recount procedures for AG and Superintendent of Public Instruction contests can now begin.
One might remember last time we did this in 2020, Governor Ducey's phone rang with tfg on the other end wanting him to stop. He didn't answer. His phone did not ring this time.
raison de arizona

Attorney General Brnovich Releases Statement on Participating in the Statewide Canvass of the 2022 Election

PHOENIX – Attorney General Mark Brnovich witnessed the Secretary of State (SOS) complete the final statewide canvass for the 2022 General Election.

“As we gather today to solidify the 2022 midterm election results, many Arizonans of all political persuasions continue to have doubts about our election processes," said Attorney General Mark Brnovich. "As attorney general, I have made it one of my office’s highest priorities to defend our election laws and advocate for changes when necessary. I will continue to do so throughout the end of my term."

The Arizona Constitution and statutes make clear that the governor and the attorney general merely serve as witnesses to the SOS's certification. Ultimately, the counties are tasked with the actual certification responsibilities and delivering the "official canvass" to the SOS. Thus, any issues or irregularities will have to be resolved in an election contest brought against the SOS and the relevant county election officials.

The attorney general has separate statutory responsibilities to enforce the election laws, and any violation of those laws will be pursued as necessary and appropriate. The Attorney General's participation in today's canvass serves as neither an endorsement of the election results nor the lawfulness under which the election was conducted. Those determinations are ultimately made in any election contest or separate enforcement matters under A.R.S § 16-1021.
► Show Spoiler
raison de arizona

bob wrote: Mon Dec 05, 2022 12:30 am Articles like this one describe Donofrio as a retired New Jersey lawyer. And that's exactly how the New Jersey bar describes his license.

But he's on Twitter, holding himself out as a lawyer. Now Arizona doesn't disclose its members' names online, so it is possible he got barred again in Arizona. (Or somewhere else; I checked only New York as well, and there was nothing.)

And the whole PHV situation is odd as well. Did Donofrio attempt to join a lawsuit even though he's no longer barred? :shock:
full doc: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1aC9O- ... Hh-lK/view
Slarti the White
Verified: Badges... we don't need no stinkin' badges

Post by Slarti the White »

Foggy wrote: Mon Dec 05, 2022 6:56 am Everything old is new again.

But seriously, did you want a movement of utter whacko birds without Leo Donofrio?

:nope:
Remember, he's not just a lawyer and a birther but a film maker, a rock star, a moon landing denier, a professional poker player, and the Paraclete too. also. Good to see he's keeping busy...
bob

Post by bob »

Did Donofrio attempt to join a lawsuit even though he's no longer barred?
Thanks to Raison, we now know Donofrio in fact attempted to join a lawsuit without a law license. :faint:

I understand the judge's reluctance to do anything other than get this case over with, but I'm a little surprised by the lack of referral to a bar, as this is not your average sovcit nuttery of a case.

But the argument "because it is possible to enjoin the SoSoAZ, the court is therefore required to do so" is classic Donofrio handwaving.
Image ImageImage
Reality Check
Verified: ✅ Curmudgeon

Post by Reality Check »

bob wrote: Mon Dec 05, 2022 3:29 pm :snippity:

But the argument "because it is possible to enjoin the SoSoAZ, the court is therefore required to do so" is classic Donofrio handwaving.
bob, that's the way I read both of the plaintiff's motions too. They ignored the obvious fact that they presented not one shred of evidence that there was anything nefarious in the conduct of the election other than conspiracy theories and misinformation. I think the statute mentioning injunctions could be worded better as one could read it as allowing for a per-certification injunction but it is clear from the entire section that an election contest is the remedy for a losing candidate to seek to reverse the outcome.

The argument that non-candidate Barnett was somehow injured by the conduct of the election is nothing more than the same warmed over Birther spittle we have seen before from Donofrio.
bob

Post by bob »

Reality Check wrote: Mon Dec 05, 2022 4:15 pmI think the statute mentioning injunctions could be worded better as one could read it as allowing for a per-certification injunction but it is clear from the entire section that an election contest is the remedy for a losing candidate to seek to reverse the outcome.
Concur.

And this is where real-world experience comes in: Judges are used to (expect?) unartfully drafted laws; they're used to acknowledging the parties' disputes, and that the law doesn't always compel a clear, obvious, correct, or even just outcome. That's like Judging 102.

Rarely is a judge going to do something so upending all based on a peculiar, "undiscovered" reading of a statute. (But see: Judge Cannon.)
Image ImageImage
bob

Post by bob »

Archer's on it! :towel:

Some jerk* would alert Rondeau, but Donofrio is basically dead to the three remaining birthers. (And Rondeau's currently back to Classic Birfering, and not election fraud.)

"For completeness" (and as discussed on Oldbow), Donofrio in December 2020 sought to sue in SCOTUS the seven contested states. When SCOTUS' Shipping Clerk shrouded him, Donofrio filed an emergency application to ... I dunno, lose some more? (But Donofrio showed them: SCOTUS bounced his papers, so he can say it never denied them.)

Meanwhile, Donofrio gotta Donofrio:

"My girlfriend, who lives in Canada...":

* :whistle:
Image ImageImage
Sam the Centipede

Post by Sam the Centipede »

The Parakeet follows the rules of birther dialectics:
  • a mountain of lies is equivalent to a bucket of truth
  • many, many losses are equivalent to a major win
The real world and the courts, not so much.
northland10
Verified: ✅ I'm me.

Post by northland10 »

Somewhere before the Donofrio discussion, there was a mention, I think from Barnett which caused me to look around and find the stuff on his case, and that brought up Donofrio, and begat the later threads; And Judas begat Phares and Zara of Thamar; and Phares begat Esrom; and Esrom begat Aram; And Aram begat Aminadab; and Aminadab begat Naasson; and Naasson begat Salmon; And Salmon begat Booz of Rachab; and Booz begat Obed of Ruth; and Obed begat Jesse; And Jesse begat David the king; and David the king begat Solomon of her that had been the wife of Urias; And Solomon begat Roboam;and Roboam begat Abia; and Abia begat Asa; And Asa begat Josaphat; and Josaphat begat Joram; and Joram begat Ozias....

Where was I? Oh yeah, before Donofrio...

Josh, I think he was the author, mentioned how the case against Cochise County and the 3 supervisors was removed to federal court so the lower court could not act. The attorney mentioned in the non-Hobbs case against Cochise (yeah, there was another) that was removed said it was the Eastern District Arizona which does not exist. I filed them in the Tuscon Division, which is on the east side of the state (tough not the entire eastern side). Well, there seems to be a wrinkle or something:
12/01/2022 3 NOTICE TO FILER OF DEFICIENCY re: 1 Notice of Removal filed by Peggy Judd, Ann English, Tom Crosby. Document not in compliance with LRCiv 7.1(d): Document not in compliance with LRCiv 7.1(d): Motion submitted from Superior Court, Notice of Pending Motion not submitted with Removal. FOLLOW-UP ACTION REQUIRED: Please file a "Notice" of Pending Motion. Deficiency must be corrected within one business day of this notice. This is a TEXT ENTRY ONLY. There is no PDF document associated with this entry. (BAC) (Entered: 12/01/2022)

12/01/2022 4 NOTICE TO FILER OF DEFICIENCY re: 1 Notice of Removal filed by Peggy Judd, Ann English, Tom Crosby. Pursuant to the Electronic Case Filing Administrative Policies and Procedures Manual Section II(B), attorneys are required to submit the automated Civil Cover Sheet when filing a new case. FOLLOW-UP ACTION REQUIRED: Please re-file the Civil Cover Sheet, using the correct format.. Deficiency must be corrected within one business day of this notice. This is a TEXT ENTRY ONLY. There is no PDF document associated with this entry. (BAC) (Entered: 12/01/2022)

12/01/2022 5 NOTICE TO FILER OF DEFICIENCY re: 1 Notice of Removal filed by Peggy Judd, Ann English, Tom Crosby. Pursuant to the Electronic Case Filing Administrative Policies and Procedures Manual Section II(B), attorneys are required to submit the automated Civil Cover Sheet when filing a new case. FOLLOW-UP ACTION REQUIRED: Please file a Supplemental Civil Cover Sheet. Deficiency must be corrected within one business day of this notice. This is a TEXT ENTRY ONLY. There is no PDF document associated with this entry. (BAC) (Entered: 12/01/2022)
I do not see any corrections filed though there could be a delay, I suppose. Also, I cannot determine for sure but the removal was filed late in the day so it is possible the state court had ruled before they filed a notice of removal.
101010 :towel:
bob

Post by bob »

northland10 wrote: Mon Dec 05, 2022 10:26 pmAlso, I cannot determine for sure but the removal was filed late in the day so it is possible the state court had ruled before they filed a notice of removal.
From what I recall, the state court essentially said, "I haven't seen a notice of removal, so I'm ruling now. GTFOOMC."
Image ImageImage
Gupwalla

Post by Gupwalla »

I think the legal term here is “Fumbling a Hail Mary pass in the wrong end zone.”

At this point, the Cochise case is more than dead. It’s been cremated, the urn has been buried six feet deep in a concrete vault, and a nest of Blue Northerns summers next to the gravestone.

Return to “Earthlings Behaving”