Derek Chauvin trial: The murder of George Floyd

sugar magnolia

Re: Derek Chauvin trial: The murder of George Floyd

Post by sugar magnolia »

filly wrote: Mon Mar 29, 2021 6:13 pm
sugar magnolia wrote: Mon Mar 29, 2021 5:31 pm I had to take a break from watching about 5 minutes into Mr. "unique" Williams III testimony. I'm sure they'll eventually get around to some pertinent testimony from him but my patience wore very thin, very fast, trying to listen to him.

The opening remarks from the defense attorney were interesting. He went on and on about all the drugs Floyd had in his system and how he was totally unresponsive and the people in the car kept trying to wake him up so they could leave before the police got there (one passenger apparently called someone to come pick her up it was taking so long) and then segued immediately into how combative he was from the initial contact with the police. Sort of visualizing his words in my head as he was speaking, it was jarring to say the least.
I agree but his MMA experience allowed him to testify about Chauvin using a shimmy technique to tighten the compression on the neck.
Thanks. I couldn't imagine what "unique" insight he would have.
sterngard friegen

Post by sterngard friegen »

A damning fact to me is that the cops took an already restrained arrestee out of a squad car and put him on the ground and kneeled on his neck. Clearly Chauvin was trying to teach Floyd a lesson and hurt him.
Neither disbarred nor disciplined after representing President Barack Obama. :oldman:
sugar magnolia

Post by sugar magnolia »

sterngard friegen wrote: Mon Mar 29, 2021 7:20 pm A damning fact to me is that the cops took an already restrained arrestee out of a squad car and put him on the ground and kneeled on his neck. Clearly Chauvin was trying to teach Floyd a lesson and hurt him.
Yep. Once they are actually cuffed and stuffed it has to be pretty drastic circumstances to take them back out of the unit.

At least that's the way we learned to do it, lo, those many years ago in the academy.
sad-cafe

Post by sad-cafe »

has anyone mentioned yet that they worked together?
sugar magnolia

Post by sugar magnolia »

That who worked together?
Uninformed

Post by Uninformed »

sugar magnolia wrote: Mon Mar 29, 2021 7:55 pm That who worked together?
“Man who claimed George Floyd and Derek Chauvin "bumped heads" changes story”:
https://www.cbsnews.com/news/george-flo ... ges-story/
If you can't lie to yourself, who can you lie to?
filly

Post by filly »

Donald "Mr. Unique" Williams was a blabber, for sure. The defense lawyer mentioned in his opening statement that the "crowd" [black folks] were a threat to the officers, and singled out that someone called Chauvin a "fucking bum." That was Mr. Unique, but it while he watched Chauvin choking the life out of George Floyd.

Well, Mr. Unique was correct: Chauvin is a fucking bum.

BTW, court had to adjourn early today because the pool feed crashed. The judge gave the pool feed to Court TV exclusively. I hadn't planned on getting sucked in to watching this but today was pretty compelling.
sugar magnolia

Post by sugar magnolia »

Uninformed wrote: Mon Mar 29, 2021 8:16 pm
sugar magnolia wrote: Mon Mar 29, 2021 7:55 pm That who worked together?
“Man who claimed George Floyd and Derek Chauvin "bumped heads" changes story”:
https://www.cbsnews.com/news/george-flo ... ges-story/
Yeah, there's a whole lot about that guy's story that doesn't track. I'm going with the owner's statement that Chauvin worked outside the club and Floyd worked inside and there is no reason to assume they knew each other. She even said herself she didn't recognize either one of them when she saw the video on the news, and Chauvin had been working for her for many years.
sugar magnolia

Post by sugar magnolia »

filly wrote: Mon Mar 29, 2021 8:39 pm Donald "Mr. Unique" Williams was a blabber, for sure. The defense lawyer mentioned in his opening statement that the "crowd" [black folks] were a threat to the officers, and singled out that someone called Chauvin a "fucking bum." That was Mr. Unique, but it while he watched Chauvin choking the life out of George Floyd.

Well, Mr. Unique was correct: Chauvin is a fucking bum.

BTW, court had to adjourn early today because the pool feed crashed. The judge gave the pool feed to Court TV exclusively. I hadn't planned on getting sucked in to watching this but today was pretty compelling.
I've been watching it on HLN and wondered why they adjourned so early.
Dave from down under

Post by Dave from down under »

Luke
Location: @orly_licious With Pete Buttigieg and the other "open and defiant homosexuals" --Bryan Fischer AFA

Post by Luke »

So gosh, we've all been thinking, what would Karl Koenigs think about this? We're in luck! Karl posted on Telegram. You're welcome. 8-)
AMERICAN MILITIA FREEDOM FORCES, [29.03.21 12:00]
I am listening to the George Floyd MURDER by BLUEcoat Murder Court Hearing. The BLUEcoat had one knee to his back and his other BLUEcoat knee, to his neck! FULL WEIGHT - - FOR OVER NINE MINUTES! About half of that time was while Mr. Floyd wasn't breathing any longer! WTF!

I am sickened by the many FACTS of this Murder! I cannot take this evil by BLUEcoat. Then I think of all the BLUEcoat murders of Blacks and even FAR MORE WHITES at UNLAWFUL traffic stops, EVERY YEAR, to violate our God endowed RIGHT to Travel without Vehicle Registration or a Driver's License pursuant to a plethora of Federal and SCOTUS decisions and Constitutional Law and Order upon BLUEcoats, DAs and Judges. The BLUEcoats, Counties, nor States are keeping records on the thousands of annual BLUEcoat murders of Blacks and/or Whites at illegal traffic stops.

Why??? Because these Governments WANT TAXATION BY CITATION, by violating our RIGHT TO TRAVEL. And, they care not about the murders of Blacks or Whites at their thousands of UNLAWFUL Traffic Stops annually.

I have a 47 page legal brief listing the plethora of Federal and SCOTUS decisions that support the God endowed individual unalienable Right to Travel without Vehicle Registration and/or Driver's License, that, by Constitutional Law and Order upon Judges, DAs and BLUEcoats, including but not least the supremacy clauses 2 & 3 of ARTICLE VI thereof, that protects our Rights. Think of how many Lives, White and Black, that We could save annually from Murder by BLUEcoat if WTP would stand up for our Right To Travel and put a Stop to unlawful traffic stops.

We The People are the Militia. See 10 U.S. Code 246. What is our Responsibility and DUTY pursuant to ARTICLE I Section 8 clause 15 of "the Supreme Law of the land"? "To execute the Laws of the Union, ..." The Laws of the Union are the CURRENTLY EXISTING FIRST LAW in U.S. Code otherwise known as The Declaration of Independence, The Constitution, and The Bill of Rights. These are the supreme Laws that protect our God endowed individual unalienable Rights to Life, Liberty and Property. When ANY BLUEcoat, DA or Judge violates our Constitutional Laws of the Union, it is OUR Responsibility and DUTY to execute the Laws that We The People, pursuant to the Preamble of The Constitution, "ordained and established" UPON THEM "to secure the Blessings of Liberty TO OURSELVES and our Posterity".

We Militia must perform our Constitutional Responsibilities and DUTY and NEVER LET the BLUEcoats, DAs, and/or Judges violate the Rule Of OUR Constitutional Laws, that We ordained and established upon them, EVER AGAIN!! Most certainly when they are murdering our fellow Countrymen, regardless of race, color or creed.

So Help us God!

God Bless George Floyd's soul and his Loved ones.

AND, WHAT ABOUT LaVoy Finicum? An honorable and noble Constitutional Patriot who was gunned down, shot three times in the back, at a Deep State FEDcoat and Oregon State BLUEcoat Military "L" style DEATH STOP ambush, behind a blind curve on a lonely stretch of highway in the Oregon wilderness, where there wasn't even cellphone service?

WHY DID THEY EXECUTE LaVoy? Because 450 Residents of Grant County OR, asked him, Ammon Bundy and Ryan Bundy to speak to them about Constitutional Laws that would protect them, their Lives, Liberty and Property from the Bureau Of Land Management, the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service and The Dept Of The Interior, who are doing everything you can imagine to run them out of their homes and businesses, including burning them down, with their cattle alive!
Here is a video for you to see the execution for yourself:

Our BLUEcoats and Deep State FEDcoats sure Murder a lot of our fellow Countrymen, in the performance of what they call "Their Duty".

- Capt. Karl
AMERICAN MILITIA FREEDOM FORCES of The Second Amendment LAW.
Operating under ARTICLE I Section 8 clause 15 of The Constitution
Lt Root Beer of the Mighty 699th. Fogbow 💙s titular Mama June in Fogbow's Favourite Show™ Mama June: From Not To Hot! Fogbow's Theme Song™ Edith Massey's "I Got The Evidence!" https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C5jDHZd0JAg
Dave from down under

Yet every time he surrenders to the BlueCoats and flees the DAs and Judges.
Uninformed

Post by Uninformed »

Does anyone know if the officer’s bodycams recorded video and sound of the “arrest”, including the differently uniformed officers who arrived when Floyd was put on the gurney?
sugar magnolia

Post by sugar magnolia »

Uninformed wrote: Tue Mar 30, 2021 5:27 am Does anyone know if the officer’s bodycams recorded video and sound of the “arrest”, including the differently uniformed officers who arrived when Floyd was put on the gurney?
Lots of body cam (or "body-worn cameras" as they keep saying) video has been promised, but have no idea if any of it has audio.
Uninformed

Post by Uninformed »

“George Floyd: Americans react to Day One of the Chauvin trial”:
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-56546081
sugar magnolia

Post by sugar magnolia »

I had no idea the "large crowd" they keep referring to was 10-12 people. The police here draw a larger crowd than that just for stopping someone to write them a ticket.
filly

Post by filly »

sugar magnolia wrote: Tue Mar 30, 2021 6:07 pm I had no idea the "large crowd" they keep referring to was 10-12 people. The police here draw a larger crowd than that just for stopping someone to write them a ticket.
Yes. The argument that the crowd made the cops scared is a bit ridiculous. Also, so far the defense has elicited that the MMA guy called Chauvin a "fucking bum" and the EMT called the cops "bitches." Really?
Dave from down under

When you have to call the police to report a police officer strangling someone..
https://www.abc.net.au/news/2021-03-31/ ... /100039858
Lani

Post by Lani »

Very emotional and depressing to watch....
Image You can't wait until life isn't hard anymore before you decide to be happy.
RVInit

Post by RVInit »

IMO the defense attorney has gotten some information from witnesses that is helpful to the prosecution. I think he (defense attorney) has a large hill to climb based on the evidence.
There's a lot of things that need to change. One specifically? Police brutality.
--Colin Kaepernick
neonzx
Verified: 🤩✅✅✅✅✅🤩

Post by neonzx »

I've been watching some of it. So hard to see that 20yo store (19 at the time) employee testify.

He did get properly coached --- two answers "correct" and "I don't recall" -- that young man got put through the blender.
Kendra

Post by Kendra »

fierceredpanda
Location: BAR Headquarters - Turn left at the portrait of George III
Occupation: Criminal defense attorney. I am not your lawyer. My posts != legal advice.

Post by fierceredpanda »

My takeaway from what I've been able to watch of the last three days is that Chauvin's lawyer isn't very good, and Chauvin's case is even weaker than I anticipated. Between the damning direct testimony, stomach-churning videos, and his attorney's inept cross-examinations, Chauvin is on a glidepath to being convicted.

Honestly, until the trial got under way, I understood why Chauvin was trying the case just from information that was publicly available, and thought it might make sense. Now I'm wondering why the hell he didn't take a plea bargain. Either his lawyer didn't properly explain it to him, or he was just one of those intransigent clients who can't be persuaded that they are fucked with a capital F. (Those are literally the worst clients.)
"There's no play here. There's no angle. There's no champagne room. I'm not a miracle worker, I'm a janitor. The math on this is simple. The smaller the mess, the easier it is for me to clean up." -Michael Clayton
pipistrelle

Post by pipistrelle »

fierceredpanda wrote: Wed Mar 31, 2021 10:18 pm My takeaway from what I've been able to watch of the last three days is that Chauvin's lawyer isn't very good, and Chauvin's case is even weaker than I anticipated. Between the damning direct testimony, stomach-churning videos, and his attorney's inept cross-examinations, Chauvin is on a glidepath to being convicted.

Honestly, until the trial got under way, I understood why Chauvin was trying the case just from information that was publicly available, and thought it might make sense. Now I'm wondering why the hell he didn't take a plea bargain. Either his lawyer didn't properly explain it to him, or he was just one of those intransigent clients who can't be persuaded that they are fucked with a capital F. (Those are literally the worst clients.)
Could be he's counting on being a cop makes him a good guy, and the whole "he was in poor health/on drugs" thing.

Thing is, you could be in great health and would still stroke out/suffocate after that long with someone's knee and weight on your neck.

I haven't watched or followed the trial but my take has been: Would George Floyd have been alive the next hour or the next day if it hadn't been for Chauvin? The answer I always get to myself is "Yes."
slq

Post by slq »

fierceredpanda wrote: Wed Mar 31, 2021 10:18 pm My takeaway from what I've been able to watch of the last three days is that Chauvin's lawyer isn't very good, and Chauvin's case is even weaker than I anticipated. Between the damning direct testimony, stomach-churning videos, and his attorney's inept cross-examinations, Chauvin is on a glidepath to being convicted.

:yeahthat:
"Try not. Do. Or do not. There is no try."
--Yoda

Return to “Law and Lawsuits”