Racism back in fashion, did it ever fade?

Trying to make sense of a crazy world, with limited success mostly
Foggy
Dick Tater
Verified: as seen on qvc zombie apocalypse

Re: Racism back in fashion, did it ever fade?

Post by Foggy »

LM K wrote: Thu Mar 11, 2021 9:35 pm Georgetown Law professor terminated after ‘reprehensible’ comments about Black students
When I was in law school, we didn't have a lot of black people in my class but they were all super smart. One guy was a medical doctor already before he started (not a dentist, and in one of the top 20 law schools in this great land of ours).

So, umm ... yeah. That's totally reprehensible, mostly because it's totally false. Or maybe her racism worked its way into her grading of her students, which is even worse. Black law students tend to get the same grades as white law students, in a fair environment.

I went to Georgetown for undergrad, and I had to take classes in religion to graduate, and I got a poor grade (a C) once because the final exam was a one-on-one session with the professor, who was a priest wearing a collar. I stuck to my guns that I knew the material cold but I was an agnostic and I was still going to be an agnostic when I walked out of his office, so he gave me a C. It's an experience that angers me every time I think about it.

So as someone who was discriminated against because of my (lack of) religion, I can only imagine the feelings of someone who was discriminated against because of their race.

My blood is boiling right about now. I better go do Musical Asskicking and work it out.
🎶 We went for a ride,
We got outside,
The sand was hot,
She wanted to dance ... 🎶
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

That's awful. I went to a Catholic Women's' university. I wasn't Catholic, probably close to agnostic, but while most of the professors were laypersons, I did have some nuns for professors. I even went to a weekend for seniors at their retreat in the mountains about 40 miles east of Pittsburgh. I never felt anything but respect for all religions from the nuns I knew there.

Our classes were small, and I'd say we'd average about 25-30 percent blacks in each class. During one discussion, one of the black women was asked by the professor whether she thought she had suffered more discrimination because she was black or because she was a woman. She felt she had suffered more discrimination because she was a woman, and most other black women in the class agreed with her. Being black and a woman was just a double whammy.

That discussion stayed with me because I had felt for a long time that, while I couldn't know what it was like to be discriminated against as a black person, being a woman gave me a good idea of what discrimination feels like. I think it's something most women know if they examine their interactions with men.
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

Oklahoma. Piecing together what happened from some tweets.

Frankie Parks
@CoachFParks
· 2h
Hey @NFHSNetwork looks like you forgot to cut the Mic!!! "F****** N******" is the one that really got me!! Tell us how you really feel!! THIS IS WHY THEY KNEEL!!!

Chris Polansky
@ChrisKPolansky
·
10m
OSSAA has yet to tweet a statement re the Norman girls team being called racist slurs by announcers, but felt it important to make sure we know the Kingfisher boys beat Classen

Porsha Riley
@PorshaRileyNews
Everyone covering this story today, for the love of God, don’t say “allegedly said” or “racially insensitive comment” — The N-word was used; that’s RACIST. & it was recorded on video, so it’s not “allegedly.” We all heard it.

Porsha Riley
@PorshaRileyNews
·
42m
People know this... that’s the sad part. They just want another reason to be racist.
Quote Tweet
Perris Jones
@KOCOPerris
· 47m
Kneeling was never about the anthem, the flag or military FYI.
“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.” ― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

Perris Jones
@KOCOPerris
·
1h
I keep being told racism doesn’t exist Smiling face with open mouth and tightly-closed eyes or we need to ‘move on’ from the past. Meanwhile, we have kids being called the N-word before basketball games for no reason.
Kassie McClung
@KassieMcClung
·
54m
Oklahoma news has been especially toxic this week. I’m sorry to my fellow Okies who have been hurt, scared or angry. It’s not right.
“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.” ― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

Announcer directs racist comments toward girls basketball team for kneeling during anthem

https://www.oklahoman.com/story/sports/ ... 664965001/
An announcer for an online broadcast directed highly inflammatory, racist comments toward the Norman girls basketball team ahead of its quarterfinal matchup with Midwest City on Thursday at Sapulpa.

The announcer's comments on a live microphone were made after members of the Norman girls basketball team kneeled for the national anthem.

The announcer, who was hired by the Oklahoma Secondary School Activities Association and was broadcasting on the NFHS Network, can be heard saying, "They're kneeling? (Expletive) (racial slur). I hope Norman get their ass kicked. (Expletive) them. I hope they lose...

"They're going to kneel like that? Hell no."
The Norman girls Basketball team is undefeated and ranked number one in OK.
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

STATEMENT FROM SUPERINTENDENT DR. NICK MIGLIORINO REGARDING RACIST COMMENTS AT STATE BASKETBALL TOURNAMENT

Last night during the Norman High School girls’ basketball game versus Midwest City in the Oklahoma 6A State Basketball Tournament, National Federation of High School (NFHS) Network announcers on a live stream broadcast made racist and hateful comments targeted at our Norman High student athletes. The announcers were contracted by OSSAA for the state tournament.

We condemn and will not tolerate the disgusting words and attitudes of these announcers. This type of hate speech has no place in our society and we are outraged that it would be directed at any human being, and particularly at our students.

We fully support our students’ right to freedom of expression and our immediate focus is to support these girls and their coaches and families, particularly our Black students and coaching staff. It is tragic that the hard work and skill of this team is being overshadowed by the vile, malignant words of these individuals. We will do everything in our power to support and uplift our team and everyone affected by this incident.

Moving forward NPS will rely only on our long-standing, community partner SportsTalk Media to live stream the remainder of the tournament, as we have full confidence in their proven ability to respectfully support our student athletes.

Dr. Nick Migliorino
https://www.normanpublicschools.org/sit ... _6L7OB3joY
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

Mayor of Norman weighs in-
• Breea Clark, Norman Mayor (@ClarkForNorman): "I am livid and absolutely disgusted about the racist and hateful comments directed towards the young women on the Norman High School basketball team by a game announcer in the live broadcast of last night’s game.

"These young athletes were simply expressing themselves as hundreds of professional athletes around the nation have done, and no one, let alone a child, deserves to experience this kind of racist and toxic behavior. The announcer could’ve stopped with declaring he hoped our team would lose, but instead he went further and decided to use profanity and racist slurs about our children. Join me in calling for the @OSSAAOnline to end their contract w/ the National Federation of High School (NFHS) Network.

"Their employees do not need to be anywhere near children. Further, these young women & their team deserve a public apology from NFHS and OSSAA. There is NO PLACE for this behavior in our nation, & certainly not in youth sports. I commend Dr. Migliorino, the NHS Girls' basketball team, and @NormanSchools on their strong statement denouncing and condemning this incident."
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

Found a photo.

Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

Feel sorry for the Norman High Lady Tigers. This awful incident of a few seconds has completely overshadowed their outstanding season just as they go into the semifinals.

Happy to see the immediate responses from all the schools and organizations involved. Twitter response has been overwhelmingly supportive.
sugar magnolia

Post by sugar magnolia »

Volkonski wrote: Fri Mar 12, 2021 1:36 pm Found a photo.

I expected to see an all-Black team, but it looks like it's maybe half that. Was he only directing his comments at half the players?
neonzx
Verified: 🤩✅✅✅✅✅🤩

Post by neonzx »

Is there a full written transcript of his comments? The audio is horrible and I can't make out the words over the music. (I've moderate hearing loss -- bad enough it kept me out of all branches of our military)
Jim

Post by Jim »

sugar magnolia wrote: Fri Mar 12, 2021 2:30 pm
Volkonski wrote: Fri Mar 12, 2021 1:36 pm Found a photo.

I expected to see an all-Black team, but it looks like it's maybe half that. Was he only directing his comments at half the players?
No, supporters of treating citizens as second class for the color of their skins think that whites who support equality are just as much a hated class to them as the blacks...hence why pubs hate dems so much.
Jim

Post by Jim »

Johnny Damon's arrest video shows the treatment of citizens by police is very much a Black-or-white issue
With jury selection in the case of former Minneapolis police officer Derek Chauvin ongoing this week, the death of George Floyd under Chauvin's knee is once again back in the news.

Think for a moment about the video of Floyd's death. Of the eight minutes and 46 seconds of Chauvin kneeling on Floyd's neck, his hand in his pocket, a Black man killed in broad daylight over an accusation that he might have passed a counterfeit $20 bill.

And then watch the video of former MLB outfielder Johnny Damon and his wife, Michelle, during a February traffic stop in Florida. They are combative, ignore officers' commands, and at one point Damon pushes one of the officer's hands away from his wife.

Never at any point are the Damons mistreated.

Let me be crystal clear: the couple should not be in a hospital. They shouldn't have been shot or choked or slammed to the ground, their faces bloodied or broken. Despite being combative, ignoring commands and pushing an officer, police handled the interaction as they should have. The penalty for DUI and resisting an officer is not now, nor has it ever been, injury or death.
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

neonzx wrote: Fri Mar 12, 2021 3:07 pm Is there a full written transcript of his comments? The audio is horrible and I can't make out the words over the music. (I've moderate hearing loss -- bad enough it kept me out of all branches of our military)
Found this much so far. Seems that two announcers were involved.
"They're kneeling? F***ing n*****s. I hope Norman gets their ass kicked. F*** them. I hope they lose. They're gonna kneel like that?"
Slightly longer version.
They're kneeling? F***** n*****," stated the individual. "I hope Norman gets their ass kicked. F*** them. I hope they lose. C'mon Midwest City. They're gonna kneel like that? Hell no."
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

An individual has been outed as one of the announcers. Not sure if this is definitely true so I will not repeat it here. That person's Twitter account has been taken down.

Sports director of KJRH TV - Tulsa now says he has conflicting info about this identification.
Cayden McFarland
@caydenmc
·
1h
Matt Roland - owner of OSPN Live, the group producing the broadcast of last night’s Norman-Midwest City game, tells me Sxxxx Sxxxxx was at the game, but ‘had nothing to do’ with the racist comments heard on the broadcast.
The (mis?)identified person's last name indicates that he has Creek Nation ancestry (which is not unusual in that part of OK).
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

Norman High teachers released this image:

neonzx

Post by neonzx »

Woah. That's a beautiful picture.

Did they finally ID the sports announcer(s) who made the comments? That's career ending.
neonzx

Post by neonzx »

https://www.normantranscript.com/sports ... 6649e.html
The play-by-play crew was contracted by the Oklahoma Secondary Schools Association to announce the game on a National Federation of High School (NFHS) Network online stream.

In a statement, the OSSAA said it would not use the play-by-play crew, which is based out of Tahlequah, for the rest of its championship games.

"On behalf of the NFHS Network and the OSSAA, we sincerely apologize that this happened at one of our events," OSSAA executive director David Jackson said. "While we are currently investigating the incident, this crew will not be doing any more games for the remainder of our championships. This kind of behavior will never be tolerated by anyone representing the NFHS or OSSAA."

The NFHS Network said it is "aggressively investigating the incident" and assures it will end all relationships with the individuals involved.

Norman Public Schools said it will no longer rely on the network to broadcast its games and that it supports its players, who have been kneeling before each game since mid-January.

"We fully support our students’ right to freedom of expression and our immediate focus is to support these girls and their coaches and families, particularly our Black students and coaching staff," NPS Superintendent Dr. Nick Migliorino said in a statement.

"It is tragic that the hard work and skill of this team is being overshadowed by the vile, malignant words of these individuals. We will do everything in our power to support and uplift our team and everyone affected by this incident."
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

neonzx wrote: Fri Mar 12, 2021 5:02 pm Woah. That's a beautiful picture.

Did they finally ID the sports announcer(s) who made the comments? That's career ending.
I have not yet found an identification source that seems definitive.
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

NewsChannel 8 | KTUL
@KTULNews
MOMENTS AGO: Tulsa Union joined the Norman girls’ high school basketball team in kneeling – a day after an announcer uttered racist language in response to the Norman girls kneeling during the anthem.

Our
@ehutchinsnews
&
@morganbeard
are there.

Story https://bit.ly/3vePsRD
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

Volkonski wrote: Fri Mar 12, 2021 5:47 pm
neonzx wrote: Fri Mar 12, 2021 5:02 pm Woah. That's a beautiful picture.

I have not yet found an identification source that seems definitive.

Ben Felder
@benfelder_okc
I reached the owner of the production company who said the wrong person has been identified as using racist language towards Norman's high school girl's basketball team. This is the second such high profile event in local prep sports
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

Tahlequah Daily Press
@TahlequahTDP
Matt Rowan has said he's the one who made racist statements about Norman High School basketball players on a hot mic.

neonzx

Post by neonzx »

I'm so, so unimpressed with that "apology".
Frater I*I
Verified: ✅Verified Devilish Hyena

Post by Frater I*I »

Why did he even bother? Clearly he's a racist, I mean hell own it, I have more respect for a man who lets me know where he stands, even when he's wrong, than one who will lie about who he is.
"He sewed his eyes shut because he is afraid to see, He tries to tell me what I put inside of me
He's got the answers to ease my curiosity, He dreamed a god up and called it Christianity"

Trent Reznor

Return to “Current Politics”