Welcome to Fogbow, born again. My previous hosting company crashed my server and I couldn't restore the database, so we are starting Fogbow from scratch again. You will have to re-register in order to use the forum, and because of spammers, I will have to approve your membership.

Please be patient, I am rebuilding the entire forum and it will take several, maybe many days. As always, you can dismiss this announcement, little X button top right.

Ben-Prime

Ben-Prime

Ben-Prime

Post by Ben-Prime »

So, still in Dhaka, Bangladesh, at least for another 9 weeks (and two days, but who's counting?). Then I will get to spend from the 30th of April or 1st of May until the 1st weekend of June being a bum in Florida and still being paid, until I report to my next assignment in the Foreign Service.

I'll leave this little hint: the odds are about to increase a thousandfold that I'll randomly walk into the TARDIS thinking it's just a police call box.

Dare I ask what happened this weekend while I was winding down my most recent post-R&R quarantine and enjoying 3 days of no telework, sleeping in, and playing video games?

-Ben
But the sunshine aye shall light the sky,
As round and round we run;
And the truth shall ever come uppermost,
And justice shall be done.

- Charles Mackay, "Eternal Justice"
Azastan

Re: Ben-Prime

Post by Azastan »

What happens in Fogtown, stays in Fogtown.

(I think that no one really knows what happened, but it could be aliens)
Patagoniagirl

Post by Patagoniagirl »

It was Hillary's emails.
Ben-Prime

Post by Ben-Prime »

One of my colleagues here in Banlgadesh has a theory that whenever a story starts with "Well, see, what happened was...." you need TWO buckets of popcorn. I may ask his permission to coin that as an actual maxim and name it for him.

sad-cafe

Post by sad-cafe »

Hello,

Nice to meet you again.

Sad-Cafe
Ben-Prime

Post by Ben-Prime »

By the way....

Because some of y'all are have been curious about what it's like for me out here in Bangladesh, I have been advised that this particular article -- just released today -- is meant for public consumption and I will not get in trouble for sharing. As it turns out, see, three of my FAST PRO (first & second tour professional) colleagues at U.S. Embassy Dhaka -- one of whom is one of my closest friends here and one of the people I will miss most when I'm gone -- wrote an amazing article about us for DoS' in-house magazine. This month, the 50th anniversary of Bangladeshi independence and U.S. recognition of same, Embassy Dhaka was featured as State Department's Post Of The Month. Anyway, it's a mostly accurate depiction -- a little rosy, but mostly accurate. :)

https://statemag.lab.prod.getusinfo.com ... 3/0321pom/

somerset

Post by somerset »

Ben-Prime wrote: Mon Mar 01, 2021 2:39 pm By the way....

Because some of y'all are have been curious about what it's like for me out here in Bangladesh, I have been advised that this particular article -- just released today -- is meant for public consumption and I will not get in trouble for sharing. As it turns out, see, three of my FAST PRO (first & second tour professional) colleagues at U.S. Embassy Dhaka -- one of whom is one of my closest friends here and one of the people I will miss most when I'm gone -- wrote an amazing article about us for DoS' in-house magazine. This month, the 50th anniversary of Bangladeshi independence and U.S. recognition of same, Embassy Dhaka was featured as State Department's Post Of The Month. Anyway, it's a mostly accurate depiction -- a little rosy, but mostly accurate. :)

https://statemag.lab.prod.getusinfo.com ... 3/0321pom/
Good article. Like you say, a little rosy (and maybe a little "expatty" ;) ), but it's nice to see a positive spin on a place that I've known mostly as a source of cheap labour in Singapore. Speaking of which: