Hijack This Thread

tek

Re: Hijack This Thread

Post by tek »

neonzx wrote: Sun May 23, 2021 5:46 pm So, Imma going try my new headphones.
What is the opening track you've chosen?
neonzx
Verified: 🤩✅✅✅✅✅🤩

Post by neonzx »

Damn, this is even more impressive than my hair clippers. It comes with a bag and stuff. Let me get this hooked up and all.
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

neonzx wrote: Sun May 23, 2021 5:53 pm Damn, this is even more impressive than my hair clippers. It comes with a bag and stuff. Let me get this hooked up and all.
:thumbsup:
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
Kendra

Post by Kendra »

Uninformed

Post by Uninformed »

I think this is the appropriate thread.

“Belarus 'diverts Ryanair flight to arrest journalist', opposition says”:
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-57219860

Ryanair press office release:

ETA
“Belarus accused of ‘hijacking’ Ryanair flight diverted to arrest blogger”:
https://www.theguardian.com/world/2021/ ... opposition
If you can't lie to yourself, who can you lie to?
LM K
Occupation: Professor Shrinky Lady, brainwashing young adults daily!

Post by LM K »

magdalen77 wrote: Wed May 19, 2021 4:06 am Crazy thing and I don't know where else to post it, but I got SS Disability. The crazy part is it took me only 2 months to get it and no attorney. I filled out the application in late February and I got approved April 27th. I've never known anyone who didn't have to appeal and most of those folks took at least a year if not two to get it. I guess my doctors were persuasive because I didn't do anything special. I filled it out thinking I would give it a try since Disability pays more than taking SS early which is what I intended to do when I turned 62 in July.
Congratulations!! This must be such a relief!

I had the same experience. It was bizarre but in the best way!
"The jungle is no place for a cellist."
From "Take the Money and Run"
LM K
Occupation: Professor Shrinky Lady, brainwashing young adults daily!

Post by LM K »

Foggy wrote: Sun May 23, 2021 8:45 am Horseshit. If you received a stimulus check made out to a dead person, you will be prosecuted if you cash it. Why is anyone still using a bank account for a dead person, anyway? Are they stealing Social Security payments, too? Are they forging the signature on the back of the stimulus check in order to cash it? If you get a stimulus check made out to a dead person, you should return it to the IRS, and not take the chance of being criminally prosecuted for a measly $600.

Rand Paul is one of the most notorious liars in the Senate. Anything he says should be subjected to the greatest scrutiny available.
Mortuaries immediately notify the SSA when someone passes away. They are required to do so. If a dead person received a check, it's because the ink wasn't dry on the death certificate.
"The jungle is no place for a cellist."
From "Take the Money and Run"
neonzx

Post by neonzx »

tek wrote: Sun May 23, 2021 5:52 pm
neonzx wrote: Sun May 23, 2021 5:46 pm So, Imma going try my new headphones.
What is the opening track you've chosen?
like,duh. R.E.M., of course. "It's the End of the World as we Know It.."
neonzx

Post by neonzx »

magdalen77

Post by magdalen77 »

LM K wrote: Sun May 23, 2021 10:39 pm
magdalen77 wrote: Wed May 19, 2021 4:06 am Crazy thing and I don't know where else to post it, but I got SS Disability. The crazy part is it took me only 2 months to get it and no attorney. I filled out the application in late February and I got approved April 27th. I've never known anyone who didn't have to appeal and most of those folks took at least a year if not two to get it. I guess my doctors were persuasive because I didn't do anything special. I filled it out thinking I would give it a try since Disability pays more than taking SS early which is what I intended to do when I turned 62 in July.
Congratulations!! This must be such a relief!

I had the same experience. It was bizarre but in the best way!
It was a pleasant surprise. And unexpected because almost everyone I knew who had gone through it previously ended up being denied at first. Granted it was only 5 to 7 people that I knew/know IRL.
dan1100

Post by dan1100 »

On the old board :crying: , there was a thread where I was reporting Trump signage in suburban and semi-rural metro St. Louis.

To add to that, I took the Superfund site driving tour into the true rural poverty former tiff mining areas of the old old lead belt and there were no Trump flags, almost no Trump signs, and iirc fewer Confederate flags than the last time I was down there.

Not sure what to make of it, but that's my report.

Also, truck nuts are still in and old 70's style single wides have had it and are being replaced with cheap metal buildings by many folks.
Patagoniagirl

Post by Patagoniagirl »

I dont mind trump signs. At least I know where the assholes live. Ditto for Confederate flags. My son taught me that and I am much calmer now.
MsDaisy
Verified:

Post by MsDaisy »

Truck nuts....
Truck Nuts.png
Truck Nuts.png (322.49 KiB) Viewed 2329 times
I have actually seen these on the road
neonzx

Post by neonzx »

Patagoniagirl wrote: Mon May 24, 2021 12:15 pm I dont mind trump signs. At least I know where the assholes live. Ditto for Confederate flags. My son taught me that and I am much calmer now.
Since the election, I've noticed far fewer (actually, none) signs. There was some asshat that would drive around in a penis-compensation pickup with a big Trump flag, but even he is gone.
sugar magnolia

Post by sugar magnolia »

MsDaisy wrote: Mon May 24, 2021 4:17 pm Truck nuts....

Truck Nuts.png

I have actually seen these on the road
Haven't seen truck nuts lately but thank you for the nostalgia of seeing the FYYFF window sticker. We lost a good one when Ashley Morris died.
Dave from down under

Post by Dave from down under »

Uninformed wrote: Sun May 23, 2021 9:36 pm I think this is the appropriate thread.

“Belarus 'diverts Ryanair flight to arrest journalist', opposition says”:
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-57219860

Ryanair press office release:

ETA
“Belarus accused of ‘hijacking’ Ryanair flight diverted to arrest blogger”:
https://www.theguardian.com/world/2021/ ... opposition
State sponsored terrorism (the fake bomb threat) to hijack a plane and kidnap it's political opponents.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2021-05-25/ ... /100162546

EU leaders sanction Belarus over arrest of Roman Protasevich, as dissident journalist appears in video from Minsk detention facility
fierceredpanda
Location: BAR Headquarters - Turn left at the portrait of George III
Occupation: Criminal defense attorney. I am not your lawyer. My posts != legal advice.

Post by fierceredpanda »

I understand why they couldn't risk it, but I would love to see the counterfactual where the pilots of the Ryanair fight just ignore the Belarusian MiG and cross into Lithuanian airspace without diverting, in effect calling Lukashenko's bluff. Again, I totally get why commercial airline pilots can't and shouldn't do that, but I'm guessing Lukashenko isn't willing to commit an act of war and kill however many hundreds of people just to get one guy.

The EU action yesterday was a good start. My understanding is Belavia (the Belarusian national airline) is going to be more or less banned from EU airspace and all flights are going to be diverted to avoid Belarusian airspace. Frankly, I'd like to see some more action on the diplomatic front, vis a vis key Belarusian diplomatic personnel in Greece and Lithuania being PNG'd. This was an intelligence op, as evidenced by the additional people who got off the plane in Minsk, and the traditional way to respond to that is to try to make a dent in the aggressor's network in the host country by declaring likely official cover intelligence officers - generally the host country at least has an idea who those people might be - to be persona non grata.

Hell, it wouldn't shock me if the Lithuanians (who, by the way, are a lovely people for whom I have a particularly great personal affection owing to spending some time there when I was younger) just decided to cut off diplomatic relations with Belarus altogether. Preemptively pull your people out of Minsk, PNG the whole fucking Belarusian mission in Vilnius, and refuse to authorize any replacements. Then at least any further intelligence operations will have to be done without the security blanket of official cover, and the spies involved can be prosecuted like common thugs instead of claiming diplomatic immunity like the bad guy at the end of Lethal Weapon 2.
"There's no play here. There's no angle. There's no champagne room. I'm not a miracle worker, I'm a janitor. The math on this is simple. The smaller the mess, the easier it is for me to clean up." -Michael Clayton
Uninformed

Post by Uninformed »

Couldn’t find an appropriate thread.

zekeb
Occupation: Stable genius. One who tosses horseshit with a pitchfork and never misses the spreader.

Post by zekeb »

So they expect you to name your miscarried child? I smell a rat. Is this in The Onion? Show me a link to the proposed bill that is before the legislature. It's amazing that they have a form in place for a law that hasn't passed yet. Maybe they need to come up with a form to be filled out if someone has a limb amputated.
Largo al factotum.
Patagoniagirl

Post by Patagoniagirl »

zekeb wrote: Wed May 26, 2021 11:56 am So they expect you to name your miscarried child? I smell a rat. Is this in The Onion? Show me a link to the proposed bill that is before the legislature. It's amazing that they have a form in place for a law that hasn't passed yet. Maybe they need to come up with a form to be filled out if someone has a limb amputated.

This doesn't look like a new thing to me. Apparently the law (which I haven't pinned down yet) would make applying for one mandatory, whereas it has been an option since the Early 1900's.

https://www.health.pa.gov/topics/certif ... Death.aspx
Uninformed

Post by Uninformed »

“Abortion fight ramps up in Pa. as Republicans advance pro-life bills. What laws would change”:
https://www.goerie.com/story/news/2021/ ... 430884002/

Apparently the name can be left blank.
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

Our governor will veto it.
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
northland10
Verified: ✅ I'm me.

Post by northland10 »

Critical Race theory talking point is waning a bit and SCOTUS is looking at abortion laws so time to campaign by legislation with some laws that the rubes will think are anti-abortion laws. In a few weeks, it will be something else, or maybe taxes, or back the Critical Race, or transgender. Rinse and repeat.
Edit: For the GOP, the best laws are those that will be vetoed or die in court. They can keep bringing those back for donations over and over again.
101010 :towel:
bill_g
Verified: ✅ Checked Republic ✓ ᵛᵉʳᶦᶠᶦᵉᵈ

Post by bill_g »

Who knew crises had moon rhythms?
roadscholar

Post by roadscholar »

Today’s GOP: The political incarnation of The Producers.

Springtime for Hitler, indeed.
The bitterest truth is more wholesome than the sweetest lie.

Return to “General Stuff”