Republicans behaving badly

W. Kevin Vicklund

Re: Republicans behaving badly

Post by W. Kevin Vicklund »

Abortion is the smokescreen, Griswold has always been the target.
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

I've long thought they didn't want to turn us back to the 1950s; they are far more interested in the 1850s.

Hell, they want to take us back to the Dark Ages.
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
p0rtia

Post by p0rtia »

AndyinPA wrote: Fri Feb 18, 2022 9:27 pm I've long thought they didn't want to turn us back to the 1950s; they are far more interested in the 1850s.

Hell, they want to take us back to the Dark Ages.
This has been my mantra for the past couple of years. COVID made it so clear.

8th c. Good times. Not.
humblescribe
Verified:

Post by humblescribe »

The rethuglicans are clever in labeling the left as "The Radical Left" or "The Radical Democrats." It has a sort of cachet to many.

Why can't the left label the right as "The Reactionary Right?" At least that has some nifty alliteration.

Probably because on about 2% of the population knows what reactionary means in this context while 98% of the population knows what radical means?

For some of us, radical would be this: √

For others, it would have to do with the roots of a plant.
"Some cause happiness wherever they go; others whenever they go." O. Wilde
Suranis

Post by Suranis »

Because "the Left" are but shit at slogans and don't have an organized bunch of accounts ready to swamp social media with their slogan of choice.

And the left are very ready to grab onto whatever shit slogan they are served up by the social media accounts. For example "Defund the Police" the most catastrophically stupid slogan I have ever heard of, but "the Left" lapped it up and sat there trying to defend it while the right scared the shit out of everyone with it and laughed their heads off.

"Black Lives Matter" is a good enough slogan but not great. "Black Lives Matter Too" is a far better slogan and does not separate people into warring camps, and you don't have to waste your time saying "no we don't want to kill whites becasue they don't matter..."
Hic sunt dracones
Foggy
Dick Tater
Verified: as seen on qvc zombie apocalypse

Post by Foggy »

Agree on Defund the Police. Imbecilic slogan, I have tried and failed to think of anything worse. :doh: x 1,000

But adding "Too" to Black Lives Matter is too wordy. I like it when white young men ask me what it means (I wear political buttons on occasion).

YMMV.
🎶 We went for a ride,
We got outside,
The sand was hot,
She wanted to dance ... 🎶
raison de arizona
Verified: ✔️ he/him/his

Post by raison de arizona »

:roll:
“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams
Tiredretiredlawyer
Verified: ✅🐴🐎🦄🌻5000 posts and counting

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer »

W. Kevin Vicklund wrote: Fri Feb 18, 2022 9:24 pm Abortion is the smokescreen, Griswold has always been the target.
:shock: :mad:
"Mickey Mouse and I grew up together." - Ruthie Tompson, Disney animation checker and scene planner and one of the first women to become a member of the International Photographers Union in 1952.
RVInit

Post by RVInit »

Tiredretiredlawyer wrote: Sun Feb 20, 2022 10:31 am
W. Kevin Vicklund wrote: Fri Feb 18, 2022 9:24 pm Abortion is the smokescreen, Griswold has always been the target.
Chilling indeed. IANAL but reading the Wikipedia version of the dissents in Griswold makes my skin crawl, especially now that we have more supposed originalists on the court. I say supposed in deference to IAALs who have expressed opinions as to the degree of integrity going on in that regard, i.e. convenient interpretation as it suits the Republican agenda.
There's a lot of things that need to change. One specifically? Police brutality.
--Colin Kaepernick
bill_g
Verified: ✅ Checked Republic ✓ ᵛᵉʳᶦᶠᶦᵉᵈ

Post by bill_g »

I think defund the police was a good slogan to force the local police leadership and their governments into thinking about their public perception. At least for those knowing to read between the lines rather than take the statement literally. They are being informed some changes are required.

It also revealed the cops we need to watch out for: the angry ones. The more pissed off they got, the more likely they are to be The Problem, and we need them gone. They are the criminals within the system that should be removed.

It's truely unfortunate that a city needs to maintain an armed militia to protect the population from opportunists that seek to operate outside the accepted norms of a peaceful society. Moses didn't come off the mountain with stone tablets proclaiming you can't murder and steal because he saw a potential future of human activity. It was already a problem, and we still haven't solved it. Probably never will.

For the smart ones, defund the police was the right message.
Suranis

Post by Suranis »

All of which could have been done with "Reform the Police." It wouldn't have been used to scare people into voting GOP because the Fems are going to shut down your police stations.

Any slogan you have to spend hours explaining and defending is a bad slogan. Period. Worse when it causes nothing but trouble for your own side and encourages people to stay away from you because you are going to make their lives even more unsafe.

As for those corrupt violent cops, they probably WROTE the slogan. its the standard line for violent dictators "Stay with us or Chaos reigns"
Hic sunt dracones
northland10
Verified: ✅ I'm me.

Post by northland10 »

Tiredretiredlawyer wrote: Sun Feb 20, 2022 10:31 am
I agree Roe v Wade and abortion have been a smokescreen but not for Griswold. Some years ago, I read an article (I forget where) that pointed out that abortion was just a convenient way to get the support of folks in the pew in order to reverse things like the IRS status of Bob Jones University that was revoked (in the 70s I believe) because they continued to you practice segregation, the laws and rulings from the civil rights act, and at its core, Brown v Board of Education.

Roe v Wade and to a point Griswold was a convenient method to get the support of butts in the pews who might not be so supportive of attempts to reverse desegregation (looking like a racist was getting less fashionable), especially in the north. IIRC, attempts to object to Roe were halfhearted at best initially but only picked up later with Falwell and his "Moral Majority" when he and others figured they could use it to rid themselves of the far more hated rulings.

With Roe, they could use it to rally a base and pick away at the hated rulings. Have you noticed how often they have poison-pilled attempts to reverse Roe? If they really wanted to succeed, they could have been picking away at it for years but they always managed to find ways to make it unpalatable to all but the extreme. Even now that they have their court, they seem to be turning up the poison-pills as if they really want even this court to reject it. Do they intend to keep it around long enough to get their true goal? I'm not sure.

Actually, I am not entirely sure they even remember their true goal, but their attack against voting rights and their CRT boogie man makes me think they are dropping the outward facing veneer and think they can now go for what they wanted all along and get the support of the Trump lovers in the pews. They may be right or they are getting desperate because they see the clock ticking as the country keeps moving forward (LGTB rights, companies outwardly embracing DEI, etc.) despite their attempts to stop it.
101010 :towel:
neeneko

Post by neeneko »

northland10 wrote: Tue Feb 22, 2022 9:49 am Actually, I am not entirely sure they even remember their true goal, but their attack against voting rights and their CRT boogie man makes me think they are dropping the outward facing veneer and think they can now go for what they wanted all along and get the support of the Trump lovers in the pews. They may be right or they are getting desperate because they see the clock ticking as the country keeps moving forward (LGTB rights, companies outwardly embracing DEI, etc.) despite their attempts to stop it.
I can recall years ago reading a piece on early christian schisms and wondering how much of it was the actual theological questions, and how much of it was something akin to tribalism. Since then (and way too much time doing modeling), I've really sunk into the later framing.

I do not think they really have a policy end goal. What they have is a political and economic machine that produces wealth and power not only for the highest of the high but propagating all the way down to tiny local levels. It is all about the people and their relationships with each other, stitched together by a vague narrative that be shifted as easily as any other marketing message. It is why they do not seem consistent, they are not even trying because that isn't what people respond to, and all support is allthey are really looking for.
Suranis

Post by Suranis »

The Republicans as a whole don't have an end goal, but people like the John Birch society, the LDS faction and the Anarchist wing sure as hell do.

As a pro-life guy it was pretty obvious to me they really didn't care much about Abortion. They didn't do anything about it in the W Years and that was a perfect opportunity. They want it left there as a rallying cry. And, be honest, it's just as big a rallying cry for the so called left.
Hic sunt dracones
raison de arizona

So how do you finance tax cuts on the rich? Tax hikes on the poor, of course!
Screen Shot 2022-02-22 at 1.51.17 PM.png
Screen Shot 2022-02-22 at 1.51.17 PM.png (84.59 KiB) Viewed 1633 times

Fixed:
► Show Spoiler
“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams
raison de arizona

Drunk tweet? With Jackson ya never know!
Ronny Jackson @RonnyJacksonTX wrote: The time has come for sanctions on senior officials in the Canadian government. If they have ANYTHING in American banks, it needs to be FROZEN!
RTH10260
Verified: ✔️ Eurobot

Post by RTH10260 »

and a FL man....
GOP House Candidate Seen Berating Cop, Calling Her 'Immigrant' During Traffic Stop
Josephine Harvey
Thu, February 24, 2022, 1:02 AM·3 min read

A Republican congressional candidate in Florida was caught on police body camera footage threatening to end an officer’s career because she pulled him over for a traffic stop.

Martin Hyde, who is running in Florida’s 16th Congressional District, was pulled over by Sarasota Police Officer Julie Beskin on Feb. 14.

In video of the exchange, Beskin advised Hyde he was driving 57 mph in a 40 zone and was also seen texting on his phone. In a combative exchange that followed, he refused to cooperate, threatened her job and asked her if she was behaving that way because she was an immigrant.

“I’ll just call your chief. How’s that? You know who I am, right?” Hyde asked her after she explained why she’d stopped him.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/gop-house-ca ... 47960.html
RVInit

Post by RVInit »

The same guy that threatened the cop for pulling him over at a school board meeting. He's a real piece of work.

There's a lot of things that need to change. One specifically? Police brutality.
--Colin Kaepernick
RVInit

Post by RVInit »

That twitter thread is chock full of videos of this man''s blatant racism in different situations, with various people, different ages. I bet he has some opinions on CRT for sure.

--Colin Kaepernick
Phoenix520
Verified:

Post by Phoenix520 »

“This is America!”
S’not an American accent, though.
Go home.
raison de arizona

Lauren Witzke, the Delaware GOP's candidate for Senate in 2020, has nothing but praise for Putin and "his Christian nationalist nation": "I identify more with Putin's Christian values than I do with Joe Biden."
jcolvin2
Verified:

Post by jcolvin2 »

raison de arizona wrote: Thu Feb 24, 2022 7:10 pm
Lauren Witzke, the Delaware GOP's candidate for Senate in 2020, has nothing but praise for Putin and "his Christian nationalist nation": "I identify more with Putin's Christian values than I do with Joe Biden."
Who among us has not poisoned our enemies with nerve agents and radioactive isotopes?
raison de arizona

JFC.
Adam K. Raymond @adamkraymond wrote: In the debate on Senate Bill 138, the “Teaching American Principles Act,” Sen. Max Wise says:

"Rather than instructing our students on how to think, let's guide them on what to think and to think about."
tek

Post by tek »

People not knowing how to think is a big part of what got us here. IMO.
bill_g
Verified: ✅ Checked Republic ✓ ᵛᵉʳᶦᶠᶦᵉᵈ

Post by bill_g »

jcolvin2 wrote: Thu Feb 24, 2022 7:29 pm
raison de arizona wrote: Thu Feb 24, 2022 7:10 pm
Who among us has not poisoned our enemies with nerve agents and radioactive isotopes?
Ice Cube 2:23
Today was a good day. I didn't have to use my AK.
Attachments
border jesus.png
border jesus.png (111.39 KiB) Viewed 1352 times

Return to “Earthlings Behaving”