Meanwhile on the North Fork...........

Tell us about yourself. But only things you want us to know.
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

We have been here 3 weeks. I have just now seen turkeys in the yard for the first time this season.

Don't know where they have been hiding. :shrug:

There were 3 of them. They walked around for a while then while I was typing this they took off and landed on our cottage's roof. Still surprises me how quickly such big birds can fly up so high. :o
“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.” ― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace
neonzx
Verified: 🤩✅✅✅✅✅🤩

Post by neonzx »

Volkonski wrote: Sat Jun 17, 2023 7:08 pm We have been here 3 weeks. I have just now seen turkeys in the yard for the first time this season.

Don't know where they have been hiding. :shrug:

There were 3 of them. They walked around for a while then while I was typing this they took off and landed on our cottage's roof. Still surprises me how quickly such big birds can fly up so high. :o
Les Nessman and WKRP taught me that turkeys cannot fly. :think: :shrug:
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

Domestic farm-raised turkeys can not fly. Not even in Cincinnati. :nope: Too heavy. Fattened up for roasting. ;)

Wild turkeys on the other hand leap tall buildings in a single bound.
“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.” ― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

Haven't seen any deer yet this year either. Know they are not around since our outdoor salad bars (aka flower beds) have not yet been eaten.
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

The calm of the evening is shattered by the fireworks at the Strawberry Festival which is 5 miles away. :o
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

Turkeys sleep high up in the trees for protection, so they better know how to fly high quickly.
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

South Fork.

The local Porsche dealer's radio ads say that a Porsche will provide a great driving experience even if you are driving east on a Friday evening in the Hamptons.

:roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

Local Porsche dealer is delusional. ;)
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

Today is the last day of the NoFo Strawberry Festival.

It is the first day of the new east end Juneteenth celebration which
is held in Southampton where the population is only 6.6% African American. Can't imagine how white folk in Southampton will react if noticable numbers of African Americans show up to celebrate. ;)
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

Strawberry festivals all seem to have been cancelled here this year. Lack of rain, I would guess. But it was a busy weekend here. Juneteenth Festival, starting Friday night, ending tomorrow. Taylor Swift concerts Friday and Saturday nights. Hundreds of thousands of people on the rivers and on both sides of the Allegheny River this weekend. My granddaughter loved the concert; but not the three hours it took to get out of the parking garage on the downtown side of the river. Got home about 3 AM.
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

We went to the local restaurant that Mrs.V has been going to since before she was born for Father's Day about midafternoon.

It is not far but driving thru our hamlet's Main Road and the rest of the way to that restaurant all the restaurants and wineries were jam packed. We were getting nervous but when we got to the restaurant parking was available. When we went in the older of the two brothers (sons of the original owners) greeted us and sat us immediately.

Took us a few minutes to realize that we had arrived at just about 3 pm when they shift from the cheaper lunch menu to the dinner menu. The lunch crowd was leaving and it was early for most of the dinner crowd so we were all set. :thumbsup:

We had their most experienced waitress who has been there since 1984. They have a framed local newspaper article about her on the wall. Most of their staff have been there for years which is a sign of a well run restaurant. If you can keep your staff here where just about every restaurant and shop has help wanted signs up you are doing something right.

We splurged on our favorite appetizers and had strawberry shortcake for dessert. They only have that during strawberry season. They bake their own shortcake and use only the small sweet local strawberries which are a treat while they last. :biggrin:

There aren't enough of them to meet demand. If you get a strawberry shortcake at the Strawberry Festival they make it with the large Driscoll brand strawberries from California and/or Mexico that you find in supermarkets. :(
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

I usually don't listen to the local Oldies station on Sunday evenings because the primary program is 3 hours of "The Doo-Wop Stop" and that is not my favorite style of music.

This evening I tuned in about an hour before the Doo-wop. I enjoyed an hour of late '40s and early '50s music. Doris Day, Rosemary Clooney, Jimmy Durante, etc. :biggrin:
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

Yesterday, Father's Day, was quite quiet on the Circle.

Today the lawnmowers are making up for lost time. :(
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

South Fork.

Today is the last day of the holiday weekend so despite the fine weather folks are already trying to get over one of the two bridges over the Shinnecock Canal which are the only ways to drive off of the eastern part of the South Fork.

Traffic is red starting in Bridgehampton and continues red thru Watermill and Tuckahoe.

While I have been writing this the major Highway 27 has turned red in East Hampton.

The North Fork is doing better as to traffic today. Our turn will come in the Fall when the dreaded pumpkin traffic :eek: will return.
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

After 3 1/2 hours the mowers have finished. :roll:
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

Radio reporting that traffic is stopped on Hwy 27 from
Bridgehampton thru Watemill. Traffic map has gone from red to very dark red. Further west the red and dark red areas now extend thru Shinnecock Hills and across the Hwy 27 bridge over the canal.

Abandon all hope those who need to drive off of the South Fork this evening.

Up island the 3 major westbound highways are red all the way to and across NYC.

Remind me again about all the people who are supposedly moving out of New York.

If it is like this now I can't imagine what it will be like when real summer warm weather arrives.
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

Radio now reporting an accident on the Hwy 27 canal bridge.

The other canal bridge which is only 1 lane in each direction is now red.
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

I might mention that there is one other way to drive off of the eastern South Fork.

There is a ferry from the South Fork to Shelter Island and a ferry from Shelter Island to Greenport on the North Fork. However the ferries are small.

The traffic maps show red and dark red approaching both ferry docks from the south.
RTH10260
Verified: ✔️ Eurobot

Post by RTH10260 »

Volkonski wrote: Mon Jun 19, 2023 4:28 pm After 3 1/2 hours the mowers have finished. :roll:
now that it is quiet, can you hear the grass growing ? ;)
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

Yep. ;)
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

My usual Oldies station's weekday evening DJ is off tonight so my favourite DJ is on instead. :biggrin:

She has been playing some of the James Bond main themes in honor of this being Martini Monday. Also she is British just like James Bond.
neonzx
Verified: 🤩✅✅✅✅✅🤩

Post by neonzx »

Volkonski wrote: Mon Jun 19, 2023 8:53 pm She has been playing some of the James Bond main themes in honor of this being Martini Monday.
Which is your favorite? Mine is Live and Let die (but it is not my fav Bond film).
► Show Spoiler
pipistrelle

Post by pipistrelle »

neonzx wrote: Mon Jun 19, 2023 9:00 pm
Volkonski wrote: Mon Jun 19, 2023 8:53 pm She has been playing some of the James Bond main themes in honor of this being Martini Monday.
Which is your favorite? Mine is Live and Let die (but it is not my fav Bond film).
► Show Spoiler
johnpcapitalist
Verified: ✅ Totally legit!

Post by johnpcapitalist »

neonzx wrote: Mon Jun 19, 2023 9:00 pm
A guilty pleasure for me is Duran Duran and the theme from "View to a Kill." It's dated 80's "new romantic" pop but I still like it. The video (in the spoiler below) is innocently cheesy.
► Show Spoiler
Another Bond-related is Count Basie's "From Russia With Love," below. It's a great example of "crime jazz" complete with walking bass line and dangerous horns. It swings so much that you practically beg for each note to arrive. I can't figure out if it was used in the movie of the same name or not. The archly minimalistic piano line in a couple of places is Basie at his finest. I can't remember if it was Basie or Miles Davis who said, "Sometimes the best notes are the ones you don't play."
► Show Spoiler
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

Love that Basie. :lovestruck:
sugar magnolia

Post by sugar magnolia »

"Don't play what's there, play what's not there.”

Miles Davis

Return to “Introduce Yourself”