Spring forward.
To delete this message, click the X at top right.

trump (the former guy, defamer, insurrectionist, and rapist - $83M)

Abandon reality, all ye who enter here. *Democracy*Under*Threat*
raison de arizona
Verified: ✔️ he/him/his

Re: trump (the former guy)

Post by raison de arizona »

Dr. Ken wrote: Mon Dec 20, 2021 12:28 pm Remember how recently Trump said he wasn't going to get the booster. Well he got it

https://twitter.com/NoSpinNews/status/1 ... 84641?s=20
I'm not surprised that he got it, but I am moderately surprised that he so readily admitted it.
“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams
Jim

Post by Jim »

raison de arizona wrote: Mon Dec 20, 2021 1:03 pm
Dr. Ken wrote: Mon Dec 20, 2021 12:28 pm Remember how recently Trump said he wasn't going to get the booster. Well he got it

https://twitter.com/NoSpinNews/status/1 ... 84641?s=20
I'm not surprised that he got it, but I am moderately surprised that he so readily admitted it.
Especially to his supporters who then booed him
MsDaisy
Verified:

Post by MsDaisy »

Dr. Ken wrote: Mon Dec 20, 2021 11:08 am He must really be scared
He could have very good reason, from Mother Jones 12/2/2016

Trump Has a Huge Foreign Bank Problem
Here’s the massive conflict of interest he cannot escape.
With all his properties and deals in the United States and around the world, Donald Trump is heading to the White House burdened with multiple conflicts of interest. But the biggest ones may not be about what Trump owns, but rather what he owes.

The United States has had wealthy presidents before. Vice President Nelson Rockefeller held a piece of possibly the greatest American fortune, and the Kennedy family wealth may have been more than $1 billion. The question these leaders faced was whether they would use their powerful offices to bolster their own assets and enrich themselves.

That concern exists with Trump, but he presents a unique problem when it comes to conflicts of interest: He and his companies have borrowed hundreds of millions of dollars. These are loans that potentially afford his lenders leverage over Trump. This creates the possibility that Trump may find himself in the position of choosing between US interests and his lenders’ interests. There’s no better example of this than the $364 million Trump owes the struggling Deutsche Bank, which is staggering under fierce pressure from US financial regulators who want the bank to pay for its misdeeds during the run-up to the 2008 mortgage crisis. (Trump is in a real estate partnership that borrowed $950 million from a group of banks including a subsidiary of Deutsche Bank and the state-owned Bank of China.)

As it has hit trouble, Deutsche Bank’s stock has fallen in the past year to levels so dangerously low that the German government was reported to be considering stepping in to prop up the bank. But on January 20, the newly inaugurated President Trump will have the ability to remove all that pressure on one of his most loyal creditors.

“I know of no case where a president has come in with hundreds of millions of dollars of indebtedness, to an entity that is under investigation for these types of alleged misconduct and in the midst of a negotiating a settlement that could put the president’s principal lender out of business,” says Norm Eisen, a former special counsel for ethics in the Obama administration. “The conflict is so blatant.”
https://www.motherjones.com/politics/20 ... ict-loans/
raison de arizona

► Show Spoiler
“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams
much ado

Post by much ado »

Or better yet, just show up and lie.
RTH10260
Verified: ✔️ Eurobot

Post by RTH10260 »

Dr. Ken wrote: Mon Dec 20, 2021 11:08 am He must really be scared
https:// twitter.com/CNNPolitics/status/1472952084421124097
CNN Politics @CNNPolitics
JUST IN: Former President Donald Trump sues New York Attorney General Letitia James in a bid to halt or limit her office's ongoing investigations into his company
cnn.com
Trump sues NY attorney general, seeking to stop investigation into his company
Former President Donald Trump and the Trump Organization have sued New York Attorney General Letitia James, asking for a federal court to halt or limit her office's ongoing investigations.
4:28 pm · 20 Dec 2021·SocialFlow
Question from an overseas IANAL: does that actually have any effect? Can just anyone (other than white privilege) ask a court to halt judicial investigations?

ETA. I see there is now a separate thread discussing this brain fart. Once again one hopes that his lawyers have been paid well in advance :blackeye:
RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 »

Crowd boos Trump after he reveals he took Covid booster
Trump once again claimed credit for producing the vaccine, saying vaccine wariness was ‘playing into the hands’ of his opponents

Guardian staff and agencies
Tue 21 Dec 2021 00.09 GMT

Donald Trump revealed he received a booster shot of the Covid-19 vaccine, drawing boos from a crowd of his supporters in Dallas.

The former president made the disclosure on Sunday night during the final stop of The History Tour, a live interview show he has been doing with the former Fox News host Bill O’Reilly.

“Both the president and I are vaxxed,” O’Reilly said at the American Airlines Center, drawing some jeers from the audience, according to video shared online by O’Reilly’s “No Spin News.”

“Did you get the booster?” he asked the former president. “Yes,” Trump responded. “I got it, too,” O’Reilly said, eliciting more hectoring.

“Don’t! Don’t! Don’t! Don’t! Don’t!” Trump told the crowd, waving off their reaction with his hand.

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/202 ... crowd-boos
Maybenaut
Verified: ✅✅

Post by Maybenaut »

RTH10260 wrote: Mon Dec 20, 2021 4:50 pm [

Question from an overseas IANAL: does that actually have any effect? Can just anyone (other than white privilege) ask a court to halt judicial investigations?

ETA. I see there is now a separate thread discussing this brain fart. Once again one hopes that his lawyers have been paid well in advance :blackeye:
This is another one of those arcane topics that we had to learn about in law school because it’s a thing in the law that lawyers need to know exists, even if it rarely comes up in regular practice. And now I get to take some perverse pleasure in watching the eyes of the populace glaze over while the talking heads try to explain Younger abstention.

But no; no effect. I mean, you can ask, but no. This will get tossed.
"Hey! We left this England place because it was bogus, and if we don't get some cool rules ourselves, pronto, we'll just be bogus too!" -- Thomas Jefferson
bill_g
Verified: ✅ Checked Republic ✓ ᵛᵉʳᶦᶠᶦᵉᵈ

Post by bill_g »

Maybenaut wrote: Tue Dec 21, 2021 8:55 am This is another one of those arcane topics that we had to learn about in law school because it’s a thing in the law that lawyers need to know exists, even if it rarely comes up in regular practice. And now I get to take some perverse pleasure in watching the eyes of the populace glaze over while the talking heads try to explain Younger abstention.

It's a stalling tactic, and for some meant as intimidation through financial attrition.
Maybenaut

Post by Maybenaut »

bill_g wrote: Tue Dec 21, 2021 9:20 am
It's a stalling tactic, and for some meant as intimidation through financial attrition.
I doubt he’s going to bankrupt the state of New York or slow them down in anyway.

ETA: I think it’s more of a publicity stunt to make his base feel like he’s being harassed, and the judiciary is helping the state to do that.
"Hey! We left this England place because it was bogus, and if we don't get some cool rules ourselves, pronto, we'll just be bogus too!" -- Thomas Jefferson
RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 »

Maybenaut wrote: Tue Dec 21, 2021 8:55 am

This is another one of those arcane topics that we had to learn about in law school because it’s a thing in the law that lawyers need to know exists, even if it rarely comes up in regular practice. And now I get to take some perverse pleasure in watching the eyes of the populace glaze over while the talking heads try to explain Younger abstention.

Is this so gross that a judge will toss it sua sponte or will the state need to request dismissal?
notorial dissent

Post by notorial dissent »

IMHNALO I don't think it matters much whether they blow off the subpoenas, don't show up for the hearings, or plead the 5th, the end result is going to be the same, prosecution and jail.
Maybenaut

Post by Maybenaut »

RTH10260 wrote: Tue Dec 21, 2021 9:35 am
Maybenaut wrote: Tue Dec 21, 2021 8:55 am

Is this so gross that a judge will toss it sua sponte or will the state need to request dismissal?
It’s a question of jurisdiction. The plaintiff is required to plead facts sufficient to convince the Court that it has jurisdiction over the case. I think the Court can require the plaintiff to go back and address why Younger doesn’t apply. And the State, of course, will make that argument. But I think it’s unlikely that the Court would toss it without the parties’ briefing on the Younger issue. Others may disagree.
raison de arizona

Whatta maroon.
Dr. Ken

Post by Dr. Ken »

raison de arizona wrote: Tue Dec 21, 2021 11:07 am Whatta maroon.
What an idiot. Doing it on the anniversary will just put eyes back on him for responsibility in the attack.
ImageImagePhilly Boondoggle
Suranis

Post by Suranis »

They shouldn't bother televising it any more than they should televise a "press conference" by Bush the lesser, or Obama. They probably will splash it all over the place, and let him make the Jan 6th anniversary about him.

I found this picture from this tweet pretty insightful.

Hic sunt dracones
bill_g

Post by bill_g »

From Any attention is good attention school of thought -

RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 »

Cohen has no separate thread so...
Michael Cohen sues Trump claiming retaliatory imprisonment
By JIM MUSTIAN
December 17, 2021

Michael Cohen claimed in a new lawsuit Thursday that Donald Trump retaliated against him for writing a tell-all memoir, saying his abrupt return to federal prison last year endangered his life and amounted to punishment for criticizing the president.

Trump’s former personal attorney recently completed a three-year sentence for crimes including tax evasion, campaign finance violations and lying to Congress. He reported to prison in May 2019 but was released to home confinement after about a year as authorities sought to contain the coronavirus outbreak in federal prisons.

Federal authorities abruptly ordered him back to prison weeks later, claiming he failed to accept certain terms of his release. Cohen, however, said he had merely sought clarification on a condition forbidding him from speaking with the media and publishing his book.

https://apnews.com/article/entertainmen ... 03071ae423
Dr. Ken

Post by Dr. Ken »

I have a feeling he's going to get booed more by his fans. Pushing back against Candace Owens vaccine disinfo
ImageImagePhilly Boondoggle
bill_g

Post by bill_g »

He's claiming credit for making the vaccines: "I came up with three vaccines"

BS, hubris, and vanity.

I will give him credit for throwing enough money at it to float a massive effort that succeeded. That he gets credit for. But, he did not make these vaccines. He merely facilitated them.

He pats himself on his back so often, I'm surprised he hasn't dislocated his shoulder.
Slim Cognito
Verified:

Post by Slim Cognito »

RTH10260 wrote: Thu Dec 23, 2021 3:35 am Cohen has no separate thread so...
Michael Cohen sues Trump claiming retaliatory imprisonment
By JIM MUSTIAN
December 17, 2021

Michael Cohen claimed in a new lawsuit Thursday that Donald Trump retaliated against him for writing a tell-all memoir, saying his abrupt return to federal prison last year endangered his life and amounted to punishment for criticizing the president.

Trump’s former personal attorney recently completed a three-year sentence for crimes including tax evasion, campaign finance violations and lying to Congress. He reported to prison in May 2019 but was released to home confinement after about a year as authorities sought to contain the coronavirus outbreak in federal prisons.

Federal authorities abruptly ordered him back to prison weeks later, claiming he failed to accept certain terms of his release. Cohen, however, said he had merely sought clarification on a condition forbidding him from speaking with the media and publishing his book.

https://apnews.com/article/entertainmen ... 03071ae423
I'm all for suing trump, but didn't Cohen get busted having lunch at a sidewalk cafe when he was supposed to be home prisonering?
Pup Dennis in training to be a guide dog & given to a deserving vet. Thx! ImageImageImage x4
Slim Cognito
Verified:

Post by Slim Cognito »

bill_g wrote: Thu Dec 23, 2021 10:39 am He's claiming credit for making the vaccines: "I came up with three vaccines"

BS, hubris, and vanity.

I will give him credit for throwing enough money at it to float a massive effort that succeeded. That he gets credit for. But, he did not make these vaccines. He merely facilitated them.

He pats himself on his back so often, I'm surprised he hasn't dislocated his shoulder.
And anyone with two brain cells to rub together knows that anybody in the Oval Office would have also thrown the same amount of money at it. Also too, anybody else would have done a better job of distributing supplies to treat the sick...and promote masks and social distancing...and not condemned the virus as a hoax used by opponents to attack themselves....and.....
Pup Dennis in training to be a guide dog & given to a deserving vet. Thx! ImageImageImage x4
bill_g

Post by bill_g »

Slim Cognito wrote: Thu Dec 23, 2021 10:45 am
bill_g wrote: Thu Dec 23, 2021 10:39 am He's claiming credit for making the vaccines: "I came up with three vaccines"

BS, hubris, and vanity.

And anyone with two brain cells to rub together knows that anybody in the Oval Office would have also thrown the same amount of money at it. Also too, anybody else would have done a better job of distributing supplies to treat the sick...and promote masks and social distancing...and not condemned the virus as a hoax used by opponents to attack themselves....and.....
Yep. Despite facilitating the vaccine development, he put a lot of effort into sabotaging the implementation. He omits that part of his efforts. If we phrase it as he would: "I made three vaccines, and then I made them unavailable."
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

As I recall, the distribution of those vaccines was going nowhere until Biden got into office. And, yes, any president would have thrown money at it at that point. And he was lucky, also if I recall correctly, those particular vaccines were already in the works.
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
northland10
Verified: ✅ I'm me.

Post by northland10 »

bill_g wrote: Thu Dec 23, 2021 10:49 am Yep. Despite facilitating the vaccine development, he put a lot of effort into sabotaging the implementation. He omits that part of his efforts. If we phrase it as he would: "I made three vaccines, and then I made them unavailable."
In addition, when the time came to really push people to get it (mainly his folks) he was too busy whining about the "stolen election." This helped turn the vax into a Biden thing which made his base automatically hate it. He created the monster himself and now it boos him.
101010 :towel:

Return to “The Big Lie & Aftermath of The Former Guy”