MN-Skeptic

Re: TX Anti-Abortion Law

Post by MN-Skeptic »

Dave from down under

Post by Dave from down under »

raison de arizona wrote: Fri Sep 03, 2021 12:48 am
neeneko wrote: Thu Sep 02, 2021 2:24 pm
Uninformed wrote: Thu Sep 02, 2021 2:12 pm Umm, I think I’m starting to get my head round some of this. Is it correct to say that the plaintiff in an action brought under this law has “standing” as they are pursuing a (possible) breach of it?
Even so I still don’t understand how a possibly totally unrelated and uninjured party can bring an action, unless they are doing so on behalf of, what I consider is the only “injured” party, the embryo. Colo(u)r me confused. :confuzzled:
Well, they can because the law says they can. The law states that anyone in Texas has standing to bring this suit against anyone they suspect of violating the 6 week ban.
No it doesn’t.

It doesn’t say you have to be a resident of Texas. Anyone can bring a lawsuit as long as they aren’t an employee of Texas government, state or local.
Sec. 171.208. CIVIL LIABILITY FOR VIOLATION OR AIDING OR
ABETTING VIOLATION. (a) Any person, other than an officer or
employee of a state or local governmental entity in this state, may
bring a civil action against any person who:
That’s how I read it at least.
So Prince Buttfacio of Scammerlot, Nigeria could sue anyone they suspected of being involved in Texas...

Oh an official of another state - eg Sheriff O T Krupt of Idaho could sue based on his suspicions..

Not going to be a wad load of intimidation and reprisal happening...
neeneko

Post by neeneko »

raison de arizona wrote: Fri Sep 03, 2021 12:48 am
It doesn’t say you have to be a resident of Texas. Anyone can bring a lawsuit as long as they aren’t an employee of Texas government, state or local.
Sec. 171.208. CIVIL LIABILITY FOR VIOLATION OR AIDING OR
ABETTING VIOLATION. (a) Any person, other than an officer or
employee of a state or local governmental entity in this state, may
bring a civil action against any person who:
That’s how I read it at least.
Good point.
I was thinking about the venue section and how it had to be in a texas county, but I guess it doesn't actually require the person to be a resident.
Slim Cognito
Verified:

Post by Slim Cognito »

No Lie with Brian Tyler Cohen
@NoLieWithBTC
·
Sep 2
BREAKING: An anti-abortion anonymous tipline in Texas is being spammed by TikTokers sending Shrek memes.

My Crested Yorkie, Gilda and her amazing hair.

ImageImageImage x4
Slim Cognito
Verified:

Post by Slim Cognito »

I'd like to think this will Akin all over them, then I remember the fucking voter suppression law TX just passed.

ImageImageImage x4
Uninformed

Post by Uninformed »

Does “any person” include non-citizens, e.g. me. Also, doesn’t US law define corporations and government agencies etc as “persons”. :mrgreen:
If you can't lie to yourself, who can you lie to?
bill_g
Verified: ✅ Checked Republic ✓ ᵛᵉʳᶦᶠᶦᵉᵈ

Post by bill_g »

bill_g
Verified: ✅ Checked Republic ✓ ᵛᵉʳᶦᶠᶦᵉᵈ

Post by bill_g »

raison de arizona
Verified: ✔️ he/him/his

Post by raison de arizona »

I saw a guy on TikTok that wrote a script that filled in the form with realistic-ish things so the entries would be hard to filter out. He submitted like 300-350 before they blocked his IP. Then he released the script, which was downloaded by over 4k people when I saw it. :thumbsup:

Anyway,

“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams
Jim

Post by Jim »

raison de arizona wrote: Fri Sep 03, 2021 12:24 pm I saw a guy on TikTok that wrote a script that filled in the form with realistic-ish things so the entries would be hard to filter out.
Send in for every Republican lawmaker in Texas and claim they're trying to pressure their mistresses into getting abortions and providing funds to get an abortion.

Do it 100,000 times a day.
Sequoia32
Verified:

Post by Sequoia32 »

We should just get this over with now.

Set up a case. Like Rosa Parks.

One of ours accuses one of ours with all of the ducks in line. As perfect of a case as possible.

If I wasn't disabled/poor, I'd volunteer to play one part or another--- well, I'm too old to get pregnant, so I guess I'd have to be the accuser.

Someone please do it!
sugar magnolia

Post by sugar magnolia »

If the prolifewhistleblower.com website is a State managed website, why is it registered through a proxy service with godaddy? If it isn't state sanctioned, how are the reports useful to anyone? It just seems a bit weird to me that that website is taking reports from the general public but doesn't have any obvious connection to any state agency.
neeneko

Post by neeneko »

sugar magnolia wrote: Fri Sep 03, 2021 1:47 pm If the prolifewhistleblower.com website is a State managed website, why is it registered through a proxy service with godaddy? If it isn't state sanctioned, how are the reports useful to anyone? It just seems a bit weird to me that that website is taking reports from the general public but doesn't have any obvious connection to any state agency.
I do not think the site is state managed in the first place. As I understand it, it is run by a private activist group called Texas Right to Life. So they are the ones trying to harvest potential litigants.

Was it ever presented as such? I got the feeling people were just assuming and then it became a meme.
raison de arizona
Verified: ✔️ he/him/his

Post by raison de arizona »

neeneko wrote: Fri Sep 03, 2021 2:11 pm
sugar magnolia wrote: Fri Sep 03, 2021 1:47 pm If the prolifewhistleblower.com website is a State managed website, why is it registered through a proxy service with godaddy? If it isn't state sanctioned, how are the reports useful to anyone? It just seems a bit weird to me that that website is taking reports from the general public but doesn't have any obvious connection to any state agency.
I do not think the site is state managed in the first place. As I understand it, it is run by a private activist group called Texas Right to Life. So they are the ones trying to harvest potential litigants.

Was it ever presented as such? I got the feeling people were just assuming and then it became a meme.
The state is specifically precluded from enforcing the law, so they must be trying to collect fodder for private lawsuits, which can be filed by anyone who isn't connected to local or state TX government. Is my thought.
“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams
MN-Skeptic

Post by MN-Skeptic »

Slim Cognito
Verified:

Post by Slim Cognito »

I was going to post an article here but having a bad day and missed my chance. But I saw on the twitter machine someone was suggesting NOT to spam the whistleblower site, instead go to their provider, Go Daddy, and complain that the site was set up to harass people. The article provided the link to Go Daddy customer service. I did send one email to Go Daddy and then got distracted. That was a couple of hours ago.

Just saw this.

https://www.theverge.com/2021/9/3/22656 ... owing-site
GoDaddy is cutting off Texas Right to Life’s abortion ‘whistleblowing’ website
The web host gave the Texas anti-abortion group 24 hours to find a new home
(Between covid numbers, a local student dying of the disease, TX voting, women's rights and the new roof being pounded into place above my head, one of my rare migraines has kicked in.)

BTW, I'm not familiar with The Verge, so if not reliable, please let me know.

ImageImageImage x4
somerset

Post by somerset »

Speaking of GoDaddy:

However, it now looks like Texas Right to Life may have trouble keeping a home on the web, because hosting provider GoDaddy has given the group 24 hours to find a different place to park its website. “We have informed prolifewhistleblower.com they have 24 hours to move to another provider for violating our terms of service,” a spokesperson told The New York Times and The Verge.

GoDaddy didn’t answer a question about whether that applies to the group’s other domains, but tells The Verge that it violated “multiple provisions” of the site’s Terms of Service including Section 5.2, which reads:

"You will not collect or harvest (or permit anyone else to collect or harvest) any User Content (as defined below) or any non-public or personally identifiable information about another User or any other person or entity without their express prior written consent."

The anti-abortion group’s website has been under siege for days now, with angry protesters flooding it with fake tips — including at least one fake claim that Texas governor Greg Abbott himself had violated the law, according to NYT. One activist on TikTok even created a script that can automatically feed fake reports into the website’s tipbox, as Motherboard reported yesterday. He told the NYT that the automated tools he’d created had received over 15,000 clicks.
somerset

Post by somerset »

Slim Cognito wrote: Fri Sep 03, 2021 5:14 pm I was going to post an article here but having a bad day and missed my chance. But I saw on the twitter machine someone was suggesting NOT to spam the whistleblower site, instead go to their provider, Go Daddy, and complain that the site was set up to harass people. The article provided the link to Go Daddy customer service. I did send one email to Go Daddy and then got distracted. That was a couple of hours ago.

Just saw this.

GoDaddy is cutting off Texas Right to Life’s abortion ‘whistleblowing’ website
The web host gave the Texas anti-abortion group 24 hours to find a new home

BTW, I'm not familiar with The Verge, so if not reliable, please let me know.
The Verge is owned by VOX media (Eater, New York Magazine). I've found it to be a pretty neutral, reliable source, though VOX itself is biased leftward

https://www.influencewatch.org/for-profit/vox/
Vox is a digital media brand of Vox Media that operates the left-leaning Vox.com news and opinion website as well as an expanding network of branded podcasts, videos, and other online content. Vox was founded by left-wing journalists and activists Ezra Klein, Matt Yglesias, and Melissa Bell in 2014.

Vox’s “explaining the news” editorial model has been widely criticized for presenting the writers’ personal opinions under the guise of neutral journalism, with even left-leaning critics saying its reporting is “almost a parody of liberal faux-neutrality”[1] and involves “characterizing its views as self-evident truths.” [2] They further warn, “Unlike its ideologically forthright competitors, Vox employs a sleight of hand that should put us on guard.” [3]
Slim Cognito
Verified:

Post by Slim Cognito »

Thanks! Of course, the women haters will Shirley find another site post haste.

ImageImageImage x4
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.” ― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.” ― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace
sugar magnolia

Post by sugar magnolia »

Looks like the law of unintended consequences is already kicking in over in TX. Can't wait to see what other consequences pop up. I'd put my money behind the hive mind of twitter instead of the 'brain trust' that wrote the TX law.
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

filly

Post by filly »

Since AFAIK nobody is performing abortions in Texas now that seems mighty brave of Lyft and Uber. I guess a driver could be sued for taking someone to the airport to procure an out-of-state abortion?
Tiredretiredlawyer
Verified: ✅🐴🐎🦄🌻5000 posts and counting

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer »

https://m.dailykos.com/stories/2021/9/2 ... =emaildkre
As Republicans advance their goal of ending abortion, Democrats see a political game changer

But as Republicans eye their path to cutting off fundamental health care options for millions of American women carrying both deeply wanted and desperately unwanted pregnancies, Democrats see an opportunity in the political upheaval to newly train the focus of voters.

In Virginia's relatively quick evolution from a red- to blue-leaning state dominated by the politics of its affluent northern suburbs, GOP efforts to end abortion access have become a boon to Democrats. Democratic gubernatorial candidate Terry McAuliffe has already been actively campaigning on abortion access in his bid to win a second nonconsecutive term.

McAuliffe’s Republican opponent, Glenn Youngkin, has struggled to beat back the GOP's right-wing politics in order to run as a pragmatic businessman. Youngkin was recently secretly recorded telling an anti-abortion activist that he would lose independents if he pounded this issue too heavily on the campaign trail. But, he added, "When I’m governor and I have a majority in the House, we can start going on offense." It’s clearly not the battle Youngkin wanted, but he will now be forced to confront the newly charged issue of abortion access.

“People have been talking about the end of abortion for years and years. Now it's actually happening,” McAuliffe told NBC News. “That will get people to come out in droves. It will really motivate folks.”

In one McAuliffe TV ad, Dr. Marie Steinmetz tells viewers, "I know what it means to Virginia women when Glenn Youngkin says he wants to ban abortion and defund Planned Parenthood." A governor, Steinmetz says, should be someone dedicated to creating jobs and providing good schools, "not someone who wants to do my job."
"Mickey Mouse and I grew up together." - Ruthie Tompson, Disney animation checker and scene planner and one of the first women to become a member of the International Photographers Union in 1952.

Return to “Law and Lawsuits”