Spring forward.
To delete this message, click the X at top right.

SNAKES!!!!!!!! and Science

Kriselda Gray
Verified:

Post by Kriselda Gray »

Maybenaut wrote: Mon Dec 19, 2022 11:30 am
neonzx wrote: Mon Dec 19, 2022 10:39 am My #1 phobia is snakes. They can send me into a panic attack/fight-or-flight mode. I go batsh&t nuts.

I think I’ll just stand over here next to neon. Just in case. I mean I don’t want him to be afraid.
And I'll be glad to keep him company, too. We can have a nice very comforting support group for neon. I'm sure the snakes will be busy enough with y'all they won't mind us staying back a bit...
northland10
Verified: ✅ I'm me.

Post by northland10 »

neonzx wrote: Mon Dec 19, 2022 10:39 am My #1 phobia is snakes. They can send me into a panic attack/fight-or-flight mode. I go batsh&t nuts.

I've tried to quell this irrationality over the decades to some degree. But I am certainly not bringing one into my house as a pet.

I think this is a major one, if not the most common, phobia and how it ended up in the bible.

SO, now you all know the secret of how to terrorize and torture me.
Salizar Slitheran and Voldermort would not have been scarry if they had spoken in Booby tongue and not snake language.

Snakes can dance.
101010 :towel:
much ado

Post by much ado »

We used to take our kids to "Cal Day" on the Berkeley campus when the museums and departments have displays and presentations. Our daughter always had to go to the Museum of Vertebrate Zoology, where they had grad students showing off live animals. Our daughter had to handle the snakes. We have many pictures of her as a twelve-year-old or so with a beaming smile and a big snake draped around her neck. No fear of snakes there. They seem to have stopped doing the live snake handling, probably out of liability concerns.

ETA:
Found this on a page dated 2018, so maybe they are still doing it...
Every year on Cal Day, the MVZ hosts its largest single open house event. We display some of our more interesting specimens, provides hands-on experiences with animals like snakes, frogs, lizards, tuco-tucos, rabbits, salamanders, and hedgehogs, and at the same time, teaches the public about the environment and animal biology.
https://mvz.berkeley.edu/calday/

Anyway, it is quite fun and educational. It happens during a weekend in April.

They have a timelapse of the event showing the main aisle in the collections area.

Phoenix520
Verified:

Post by Phoenix520 »

Very pretty sneks, Aza.
Azastan
Verified:

Post by Azastan »

much ado wrote: Mon Dec 19, 2022 3:58 pm We used to take our kids to "Cal Day" on the Berkeley campus when the museums and departments have displays and presentations. Our daughter always had to go to the Museum of Vertebrate Zoology, where they had grad students showing off live animals.
I grew up in San Jose, California. San Jose has a park called Alum Rock Park, which is the oldest municipal park in California. At one time, it was possible to 'check out' some of the animals from the Nature Center in the park. We took home gopher snakes on several occasions.

"Opened in 1953, the Youth Science Institute - Alum Rock Science and Nature Center, operated by the Youth Science Institute, features natural history exhibits and a collection of live teaching animals, including several injured and non-releasable hawks and owls that are found in the region. The center offers nature and science school and group programs, after-school science and summer camp programs"

This is why I am not afraid of snakes.
Phoenix520
Verified:

Post by Phoenix520 »

I had a garter snake that escaped its terrarium once. It slithered down to the basement and nestled in a laundry hamper where our cleaning lady found it.

She literally ran screaming from the house. She never came back. My mom was mad and made me give the snake to my brothers’s science class.
Foggy
Dick Tater
Verified: as seen on qvc zombie apocalypse

Post by Foggy »

I try to walk every day on the North Raleigh Greenway, which goes right by our house and meanders along the mighty Neuse River, and I've seen:
  • black racers
  • garter snakes
  • rough green snakes
  • corn snakes
  • copperheads
  • Eastern king snakes
Lots of turtles, too also.

They cross the paved greenway to get to the river.

But snake season won't start until spring. :smoking:
Out from under. :thumbsup:
northland10
Verified: ✅ I'm me.

Post by northland10 »

Back when I was in something like 6th or 7th grade, I briefly had a sort-of pet baby hognose. It was generally friendly. The only time it did the flattened head thing (they do this to mimic poisonous snakes) and hissed was when I built a maze for it to go through. It was having none of that. He went to the local school for a week and then was released back where we found him (or her, I did not ask about its, um, parts such as those mentioned earlier in this thread).

I grew up in an area where we don't have snakes that want to kill you. The Eastern Massasauga Rattlesnake is really shy, would just prefer not to bite you, and even when it does, it often does not inject venom into humans (or so I was told but the rattlesnakes and I are just fine not testing this thesis). Because of its threatened status, when somebody spotted one sunning itself in the middle of the camp road where I was Program Director, the long-serving Nature Director, by then Camp Director, got all excited and blew out of the office to check it out. They did kindly convince it to leave its happy sunny spot since they did not want it run over or to have issues with scouts walking by.

My biggest issues with snakes happened in ways like this from my scouting years:

Friend: SNAKE
Me: Where?
Friend: You're standing on it.
Me: Oh, oops.

I felt bad for that poor garter snake. He seemed fine when he slithered away (or she... see discussion of snake parts earlier in this thread).
101010 :towel:
sugar magnolia

Post by sugar magnolia »

Many years ago I was a docent at the zoo (my husband was a zoo keeper when we met) and we took animals to local pre-schools and nursing homes and did presentations at the zoo. I always went straight to the reptiles to get an animal. Everybody else wanted the birds (not me!) or hedgehogs or prairie dogs. The cute stuff. Nope. Give me the snakes or caimans or iguanas. The bigger and more colorful the better.
Tiredretiredlawyer
Verified: ✅🐴🐎🦄🌻5000 posts and counting

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer »

Snek on a small plane!

https://www.newsweek.com/deadly-snake-f ... ng-1792657
Deadly Snake Found on Plane Forces 'Hero' Pilot to Make Emergency Landing

Pilot Rudolf Erasmus was forced to make an emergency landing on Monday after discovering what is believed to be a 4-foot-long Cape cobra, one of South Africa's most venomous snakes, on board his plane.

"This was definitely a first and not something you get trained to handle," Erasmus told TimesLive.

Erasmus and his four passengers were flying from Worcester, in the Western Cape, to the old Nelspruit Airfield near Mbombela in northeastern South Africa. The crew had to make a few stops along the way and were en route to the Wonderboom National Airport near Johannesburg at the time of the incident, after stopping at the Bram Fischer International Airport in Bloemfontein to refuel.

About a third of the way through their journey, Erasmus felt something strange against his body. "We were cruising at 11,000 feet in the air when I felt something cold against my hip," Erasmus told local news outlet the Lowvelder.

At first, he said he thought it was his water bottle. "[But] as I turned to my left and looked down I saw the cobra putting its head back underneath my seat," he told TimesLive.

"I had a moment of stunned silence, not sure if I should tell the passengers because I didn't want to cause a panic. But obviously they needed to know at some point what was going on."

As calmly as he could, Erasmus told the passengers that there was an "unwelcome passenger" inside the aircraft and that he was going to have to make an emergency landing.

After a tense 10 to 15 minutes, Erasmus successfully landed the plane at the nearest airport, in Welkom. Carefully, the passengers disembarked, with Erasmus getting out last.

"I stood on the wing on the plane and moved the seat forward to try and spot the snake," Erasmus said. "It was curled up under my seat. It was quite a big fellow."

Local snake catcher Johan de Klerk was called to the scene, but by the time he arrived the snake had disappeared.
"Mickey Mouse and I grew up together." - Ruthie Tompson, Disney animation checker and scene planner and one of the first women to become a member of the International Photographers Union in 1952.
Frater I*I
Verified: ✅Verified Devilish Hyena

Post by Frater I*I »

Tiredretiredlawyer wrote: Wed Apr 05, 2023 7:03 pm Snek on a small plane!

:snippity:

I'll let Samuel Jackson take care of this one...

I'll see myself out.... :bag:
"He sewed his eyes shut because he is afraid to see, He tries to tell me what I put inside of me
He's got the answers to ease my curiosity, He dreamed a god up and called it Christianity"

Trent Reznor
Tiredretiredlawyer

:rotflmao:
"Mickey Mouse and I grew up together." - Ruthie Tompson, Disney animation checker and scene planner and one of the first women to become a member of the International Photographers Union in 1952.
RTH10260
Verified: ✔️ Eurobot

Post by RTH10260 »

you have been warned :!:

Dave from down under

Post by Dave from down under »

:thumbsup:
Chilidog

Post by Chilidog »

We had been taking care of my son's two geckos while he went off to grad school. When he was home this summer I went out and brought a new, bigger enclosure for drogon the gargoyle. He spent a day rebuilding both enclosures and decided to take them back down with him.

I kind of miss them now.
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

:bighug:
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
Tiredretiredlawyer

There is a new “”grandchild” category- grandgecko- “gg”
RTH10260
Verified: ✔️ Eurobot

Post by RTH10260 »

:shock: the grandgecko has grown wings and feathers :?:

;)

Return to “Science”