Spring forward.
To delete this message, click the X at top right.

Hijack This Thread

Kriselda Gray
Verified:

Hijack This Thread

Post by Kriselda Gray »

In the Twitter thread I'd posted a request that people who highlight stuff please change the text to black so it's visible for people on dark themes.

Well, Danraft sent me a suggestion that is just as easy as highlighting, but solves the problem with different background colors. Instead of selecting the highlighter button on the editing bar, pick the one that looks like the sun. It makes letters glow, like how Danraft's name is glowing in the first line of the paragraph. You don't have to change any parameters or take any additional steps to use it, just click on the sun.

Thanks to anyone willing to do this!
Phoenix520
Verified:

Hijack This Thread

Post by Phoenix520 »

Thanks danraft and Kris! I’ll check it out!
keith
Occupation: Retired Computer Systems Analyst Project Manager Super Coder
Verified: ✅lunatic

Hijack This Thread

Post by keith »

Foggy wrote: Sun Nov 06, 2022 12:56 pm Of course, being a 21st century miracle, Fogbow handles all that clock stuff for you, so you can concentrate on the important things, like I don't know what, but sumpin'.
How come I can never remember the right time to show up at the Pancake Hut for the Fogbow meeting then?
Has everybody heard about the bird?
RTH10260
Verified: ✔️ Eurobot

Hijack This Thread

Post by RTH10260 »

Fogbow has only a single TARDIS and someone has again lost the keys, else the uberTardis had been waiting on your doorstep :doh:
jez
Verified: ✅ Medicated

Hijack This Thread

Post by jez »

Can somebody check my work? I want to make sure I have good information in here. I'm just getting tired of seeing the gas price memes and everyone going "yeah! That's right! blah blah blah". So, wanted to rebut a little. It's meant to be easy to read, basic information without getting into the weeds. Like writing an article on C# and saying "It's an object oriented programming language" and a quick description without getting into the actual structure of the codes and commands.

So, here it is:
I have been seeing a lot of memes and people complaining about gas prices these days, blaming the current administration for everything. But, really? Is it the administration’s fault? Or is there something else that might factor in to the price of gas? Let us level-set a couple of things:
Gas prices are based on several factors, the largest factor being supply and demand, then the prices of oil. Some would say the greed of the oil companies is the largest contributing factor, but I would rather not digress into that argument. Two things that are easiest to see are supply/demand and price of oil, since we are not in the board rooms of the oil companies.
First up: Price of oil. The monthly average price for Brent Crude oil was 42.69 in November 2020. In October 2020 (which would have seen more of an impact on early November gas prices, it was 40.19 on average). Average price for Brent Crude in September 2022 (last month I found data) the average price was 89.76. There was a peak in June of 122.71. So, the price of oil as doubled since November 2022. I think that might have a bit to do with the increase in the price of gasoline.
On average, the about 50-60% of price of gasoline is attributed to the cost of crude oil. Refining costs can add around 10-15% to the cost of a gallon of gas. Then you add in local, state, and federal taxes, which is about another 15%, depending on where you live. The rest if marketing, transportation, etc. That means that around 65% of the cost of a gallon of gas is tied to the price of oil and the cost to refine it.
Now, let’s look at the other big factor: Supply and Demand. If you think back to November 2020, you might remember there was a little thing happening called a pandemic. I know where I live, things were pretty locked up. The last surge was only a month or two before with another one on the way. There wasn’t that much demand for gasoline. People were not traveling. Many companies went to a remote work model. I know mine did. A very large majority of our staff began working from home, if their job function allowed for it. Very few, and only those that were essential to running the business went into an office. The Demand for gasoline just wasn’t there. That will definitely effect the price.
If you have stockpiles of gasoline, you need to sell it before it goes bad (and yes, gasoline can go bad). So, if you have stock to move and nobody is buying at the price? You lower the price and hopefully people will begin buying again. That lead to some of the lowest prices seen since 2015. The Bureau of Labor and Statistics has a nice article on it from October 2020. You can find it here: https://www.bls.gov/opub/mlr/2020/artic ... e-pump.htm.
Those two factors alone are enough to explain why the price of gas was so low in November 2020. So, what has happened since then? Well, life got back to closer to normal.
People started driving again, demand went up, so prices went up. Oil prices went up along with it the demand. Therefore, we have higher gas prices.

Sources:
“What is better ? to be born good or to overcome your evil nature through great effort ?”

~Paarthurnax
Maybenaut
Verified: ✅✅

Hijack This Thread

Post by Maybenaut »

bill_g wrote: Sun Nov 06, 2022 8:42 am It's set Your Own Damn Clock Back Day in the States today. We were living under Spring Ahead. Now we're Falling Back. For those of you with modern clocks set by the Interwebs, you haven't got much to do except sleep in. For those of us with lots of old analog clocks, we got our work cut out for us. Grab a handful of batteries and get busy.

You got the microwave clock, the stove clock, the clock on the coffee pot, clocks in both bathrooms, the clock by the TV, the clock on the wall, the dining room clock, the back porch clock, and all the bedroom clocks. And don't forget the clocks in the car and trucks.

At least it's easier than the olden days when we had to put all our clocks in bushel baskets, and take them down to the train station to be set correctly by the railroad crews. Sometimes the lines went around the building. That was when we all had wind-up clocks. As we started buying plug-in clocks, we had to wait for them to get around to your house before any of your clocks were right. Some of us would secretly set our own watches to the correct time, but we had to keep them hidden. The one thing Nixon did right was sign the Time Freedom Act of 1969 which made it legal for anyone to set their own damn clock. But, that doesn't mean everyone does. You don't know how many friends we lost over seeing their VCR's blinking the wrong time. Not our kind of people. No sir.
Back in my days in Radioland the first thing we had to do for every position change on watch was to dial in to WWV, the radio station for the National Bureau of Standards (now the National Institute of Standards and Technology), and get a "time tick." You set your receiver to 5 or 10 kHz, and listen. You'd set the minute hand on the clock to the following minute, and hold the second hand in place. The voice on radio would say, for example, "At the tone the time will be six hours and three minutes, coordinated universal time. Beeeeeep." And you let go of the second hand at the beep. Then you'd listen for the next minute, and if the second hand was off at the next beep, you had to do it over again.

This was also a time when we had clocks that denoted the "silent period" -- a red wedge running from minutes 15-18 and 45-48 for morse code, and a green wedge from minutes 00-03 and 30-33 for voice. No one was allowed to transmit on the calling and distress frequency during the silent period to give vessels in distress (which might have only a weak signal) a chance to be heard.

Fun times.
"Hey! We left this England place because it was bogus, and if we don't get some cool rules ourselves, pronto, we'll just be bogus too!" -- Thomas Jefferson
Kriselda Gray
Verified:

Hijack This Thread

Post by Kriselda Gray »

Nice overview, Jez! I think it reads weland is pretty easy to understand.
keith
Occupation: Retired Computer Systems Analyst Project Manager Super Coder
Verified: ✅lunatic

Hijack This Thread

Post by keith »

Maybenaut wrote: Mon Nov 07, 2022 6:59 pm :snippity:
This was also a time when we had clocks that denoted the "silent period" -- a red wedge running from minutes 15-18 and 45-48 for morse code, and a green wedge from minutes 00-03 and 30-33 for voice. No one was allowed to transmit on the calling and distress frequency during the silent period to give vessels in distress (which might have only a weak signal) a chance to be heard.

Fun times.
I've got two of those ships clocks. An older younger one with both red and green sectors, and a 'younger' older one with just the red sectors. Neither is a reproduction which are easy to find these days. The youngest is from the 1930's I believe and was, for a time, in active service in my SWMBO's grandfather's yacht. The older one is from SWMBO's great-grandfather's yacht. One of these days we'll get them serviced and back in use, but not on a money-hole-in-the-water.

G0KYA's Amateur Radio Blog

The radio sectors from minutes 1 to 3 and 31 to 33 are marked in green and indicates the quiet time reserved for emergency radio telegraphy, while the red sector, minutes 16 to 18 and 46 to 48, is reserved for emergency morse communication.

EDIT: The older one is PRE-WW2 and has the RED sectors only. Green sectors were added in 1947.

EDIT TOO: I am unclear whether the silent periods are required anymore. Certainly, the USA no longer monitors for morse code (red sector), and I think there are newer solutions for radio telegraphy (green sector).
Has everybody heard about the bird?
RTH10260

Hijack This Thread

Post by RTH10260 »

I understand that at least commercial vessels had to convert to satellite communication for emergency signal about five years ago.
Lani

Hijack This Thread

Post by Lani »

No clock changes in Hawaii. I love that.
Image You can't wait until life isn't hard anymore before you decide to be happy.
Foggy
Dick Tater
Verified: as seen on qvc zombie apocalypse

Hijack This Thread

Post by Foggy »

Jez, I don't have the research, but I read long ago the price of gas is controlled by the specific trading desk in the NYSE. Those few people have unbelievable influence on the price at the pump.
Out from under. :thumbsup:
jez

Hijack This Thread

Post by jez »

Foggy wrote: Tue Nov 08, 2022 7:08 am Jez, I don't have the research, but I read long ago the price of gas is controlled by the specific trading desk in the NYSE. Those few people have unbelievable influence on the price at the pump.
I wouldn't doubt it, but thanks for the lead. I'll see what rabbit holes I can run down.
“What is better ? to be born good or to overcome your evil nature through great effort ?”

~Paarthurnax
neonzx
Verified: 🤩✅✅✅✅✅🤩

Hijack This Thread

Post by neonzx »

jez wrote: Tue Nov 08, 2022 7:09 am
Foggy wrote: Tue Nov 08, 2022 7:08 am Jez, I don't have the research, but I read long ago the price of gas is controlled by the specific trading desk in the NYSE. Those few people have unbelievable influence on the price at the pump.
I wouldn't doubt it, but thanks for the lead. I'll see what rabbit holes I can run down.
It's commodity futures not a stock so not on stock exchange. Like Frozen Orange Juice concentrate. I saw a documentary on this racket in the 80s.
bill_g
Verified: ✅ Checked Republic ✓ ᵛᵉʳᶦᶠᶦᵉᵈ

Hijack This Thread

Post by bill_g »

Maybenaut wrote: Mon Nov 07, 2022 6:59 pm Back in my days in Radioland the first thing we had to do for every position change on watch was to dial in to WWV, the radio station for the National Bureau of Standards (now the National Institute of Standards and Technology), and get a "time tick." You set your receiver to 5 or 10 kHz, and listen. You'd set the minute hand on the clock to the following minute, and hold the second hand in place. The voice on radio would say, for example, "At the tone the time will be six hours and three minutes, coordinated universal time. Beeeeeep." And you let go of the second hand at the beep. Then you'd listen for the next minute, and if the second hand was off at the next beep, you had to do it over again.

Fun times.
That was a fun read. Thank you. I did not know about the silent periods. It seems a bit parochial to set clocks multiple times a day, but then everyone knew how to do it.
Maybenaut

Hijack This Thread

Post by Maybenaut »

bill_g wrote: Tue Nov 08, 2022 7:37 am That was a fun read. Thank you. I did not know about the silent periods. It seems a bit parochial to set clocks multiple times a day, but then everyone knew how to do it.
Well, back then the clocks were not all tied to the atomic clock, and even a very good quality clock like the Chelsea clocks we had in the radio room would gain or lose time.

I worked at large-ish communication centers where the watches were 12 hours long, but we’d rotate through positions in the watch (morse code, voice, radioteletype, landline teletype) every four hours, so you were never doing the same thing longer than four hours.
"Hey! We left this England place because it was bogus, and if we don't get some cool rules ourselves, pronto, we'll just be bogus too!" -- Thomas Jefferson
bill_g

Hijack This Thread

Post by bill_g »

Maybenaut wrote: Tue Nov 08, 2022 7:52 am Well, back then the clocks were not all tied to the atomic clock, and even a very good quality clock like the Chelsea clocks we had in the radio room would gain or lose time.

I worked at large-ish communication centers where the watches were 12 hours long, but we’d rotate through positions in the watch (morse code, voice, radioteletype, landline teletype) every four hours, so you were never doing the same thing longer than four hours.
Thos clock faces must have had finger smudges all over them getting set six times a day. :)
Tiredretiredlawyer
Verified: ✅🐴🐎🦄🌻5000 posts and counting

Hijack This Thread

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer »

Neonzx- Hubby and I have watched that Orange Juice Commodity documentary many times. It is quite instructive. It took me a while to grasp the nuances of going short and long, but every so often I understand it, if only ephemerally.
"Mickey Mouse and I grew up together." - Ruthie Tompson, Disney animation checker and scene planner and one of the first women to become a member of the International Photographers Union in 1952.
Flatpoint High
Occupation: professional pain in the ass, voice actor & keeper of the straight face
Verified:

Hijack This Thread

Post by Flatpoint High »

castigat ridendo mores.
VELOCIUS QUAM ASPARAGI COQUANTUR
Maybenaut

Hijack This Thread

Post by Maybenaut »

bill_g wrote: Tue Nov 08, 2022 8:04 am
Maybenaut wrote: Tue Nov 08, 2022 7:52 am Well, back then the clocks were not all tied to the atomic clock, and even a very good quality clock like the Chelsea clocks we had in the radio room would gain or lose time.

Thos clock faces must have had finger smudges all over them getting set six times a day. :)
F85D2D2E-CBF5-4A2F-8512-ED2AAEDEAD74.jpeg
F85D2D2E-CBF5-4A2F-8512-ED2AAEDEAD74.jpeg (170.99 KiB) Viewed 435 times

This isn’t the best picture, but there’s one more interesting detail about the radio room clock. Those red dashes around the outside of the face are there for a reason. When a vessel in distress was preparing to send a distress message, before they’d send the message itself they would send out an “auto alarm” signal - 12 four second dashes.

Most of the ships in the merchant fleet only had one radio officer on board. Their radio rig would be set up to listen for the auto alarm, and when it received one it would sound an alarm in the radio officer’s stateroom and on the bridge. Then the distress vessel would wait (the longest of his life) two minutes before sending the distress message. That would give the radio officer a chance to get to the radio room and get ready to copy the distress message.

For those of us on watch at shore stations, we’d watch the second hand on the clock cross those red dashes, checking for four-second intervals. It was often difficult to tell the difference between an auto alarm and a transmitter warming up. So you watched the clock.

Anyhoo, that’s how it was all supposed to work. In 8 years of standing that type of watch, I only saw one textbook case — the Marine Electric. The radio officer followed the procedure to the letter (and died). There’s a great book about it called Until The Sea Shall Free Them.
Tiredretiredlawyer
Verified: ✅🐴🐎🦄🌻5000 posts and counting

Hijack This Thread

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer »

Maybenaut - I am sharing your posts with my Navy vet brother. :biggrin:
"Mickey Mouse and I grew up together." - Ruthie Tompson, Disney animation checker and scene planner and one of the first women to become a member of the International Photographers Union in 1952.
RTH10260

Hijack This Thread

Post by RTH10260 »

the Lion King - a real spoiler ;)
► Show Spoiler
bill_g

Hijack This Thread

Post by bill_g »

Maybenaut wrote: Tue Nov 08, 2022 8:58 am
F85D2D2E-CBF5-4A2F-8512-ED2AAEDEAD74.jpeg

This isn’t the best picture, but there’s one more interesting detail about the radio room clock. Those red dashes around the outside of the face are there for a reason. When a vessel in distress was preparing to send a distress message, before they’d send the message itself they would send out an “auto alarm” signal - 12 four second dashes.

Most of the ships in the merchant fleet only had one radio officer on board. Their radio rig would be set up to listen for the auto alarm, and when it received one it would sound an alarm in the radio officer’s stateroom and on the bridge. Then the distress vessel would wait (the longest of his life) two minutes before sending the distress message. That would give the radio officer a chance to get to the radio room and get ready to copy the distress message.

For those of us on watch at shore stations, we’d watch the second hand on the clock cross those red dashes, checking for four-second intervals. It was often difficult to tell the difference between an auto alarm and a transmitter warming up. So you watched the clock.

Anyhoo, that’s how it was all supposed to work. In 8 years of standing that type of watch, I only saw one textbook case — the Marine Electric. The radio officer followed the procedure to the letter (and died). There’s a great book about it called Until The Sea Shall Free Them.
That is a pretty clock. And thank you for the story about the twelve dash distress call. That's all new to me. But, I never get to use the radio. I just fix 'em. Listen for a bit to make sure everybody sounds good, and then move along.
jemcanada2

Hijack This Thread

Post by jemcanada2 »

neonzx wrote: Tue Nov 08, 2022 7:18 am
jez wrote: Tue Nov 08, 2022 7:09 am
It's commodity futures not a stock so not on stock exchange. Like Frozen Orange Juice concentrate. I saw a documentary on this racket in the 80s.
It reminds me of the hundred year old lightbulb. A group of manufacturers got together and planned to make lightbulbs that didn’t last as long so they could make more profit.

https://www.abc10.com/article/entertain ... adba7f057d
Frater I*I
Verified: ✅Verified Devilish Hyena

Hijack This Thread

Post by Frater I*I »

Maybenaut wrote: Tue Nov 08, 2022 8:58 am :snippity:
My father spent over 20 years in combat communications in the USAF....you two would probably get along...
"He sewed his eyes shut because he is afraid to see, He tries to tell me what I put inside of me
He's got the answers to ease my curiosity, He dreamed a god up and called it Christianity"

Trent Reznor
jez

Hijack This Thread

Post by jez »

Did someone remember to bring the hot dogs and marshmallows so we can snack while we watch it all burn to the ground?

Yes. I am just bit depressed and angry this morning.

~Paarthurnax

Return to “General Stuff”