Spring forward.
To delete this message, click the X at top right.

Desktop / Laptop Useful Browser Extensions

Luke
Location: @orly_licious With Pete Buttigieg and the other "open and defiant homosexuals" --Bryan Fischer AFA

Desktop / Laptop Useful Browser Extensions

Post by Luke »

Gotta rave about this one, just learned about it -- it's called One Tab and it's for Chrome, Edge and Firefox. Always have tons of tabs open, and Chrome takes up so much memory. With One Tab, it moves all tabs to one window in a list -- and it does it by day so it keeps a running history! At first thought we would have to save each day but nope, it just keeps adding the next day. One click and done. Then you refer back to the list to reopen the tab you want. This has been wildly helpful.

Save up to 95% memory and reduce tab clutter in Google Chrome
OneTab is also available for Firefox , Edge and Safari

Before: 1981 MB memory used
After: only 99 MB memory used
95% memory reduction

Add OneTab now https://www.one-tab.com/
No signup or registration required

How it works
Whenever you find yourself with too many tabs, click the OneTab icon to convert all of your tabs into a list. When you need to access the tabs again, you can either restore them individually or all at once.

When your tabs are in the OneTab list, you will save up to 95% of memory because you will have reduced the number of tabs open in Google Chrome.

Privacy assurance
We take your privacy seriously. Your tab URLs are never transmitted or disclosed to either the OneTab developers or any other party, and icons for tab URL domains are generated by Google. The only exception to this is if you intentionally click on our 'share as a web page' feature that allows you to upload your list of tabs into a web page in order to share them with others. Tabs are never shared unless you specifically use the 'share as a web page' button.

How do you make money?
OneTab is free of charge and is not designed to make money. It was created because we badly *needed* it for our own use, and we wanted to share it with the world.

Additional Benefits
Depending on how many scripts are running inside your tabs, moving them to OneTab can also speed up your computer by reducing the CPU load. We have also had reports that this also contributes to your computer resuming from sleep more quickly.

More Features
OneTab lets you easily export and import your tabs as a list of URLs. You can also create a web page from your list of tabs, so that you can easily share your tabs with other people, other computers, or with your smartphone or tablet.

You can drag and drop tabs in your OneTab list to reorder them. You can also hold down the Ctrl or Cmd key while restoring tabs and they will remain in your OneTab list (meaning you can use OneTab as a way of quickly launching a set of commonly used tabs). OneTab supports retina displays. Note that OneTab is designed to leave in place any 'pinned' tabs you have.

You will not lose your list of tabs if you accidentally close the OneTab window, if your browser crashes, or if restart your computer.

2020 Update: We've been working like crazy to make OneTab much much better - including implementing lots of your feature suggestions. We're full time on it now and have great momentum. Thank you for all of your thoughtful feedback, please keep it coming.

How to install OneTab
To install OneTab in under 5 seconds, click here

How to uninstall OneTab
Simply right click on the OneTab icon in Google Chrome, and click 'Remove from Chrome'.
It's amazing.

Another we really like is called The Great Suspender... what it does is put tabs "to sleep" that you aren't using. You can configure the time before sleep or domains you want to always keep awake. It also has helped a lot. Chrome did something the past few weeks that was killing memory, these two add-ons/extensions made a huge difference. Both are free and easily removable. No Script has been acting up a lot, there's some coding issue, so we're just using Ghostery and Adblock Plus for now (plus Malware Bytes, which checks sites as well).
50,000+ users

Overview

Compatible with your device
Make your computer run smoothly by suspending the tabs you aren't using
A lightweight extension to reduce chrome's memory footprint. Perfect if you have a lot of tabs open at the same time. Tabs that have not been viewed after a configurable length of time will be automagically suspended in the background, freeing up the memory and CPU being consumed by that tab.

➤ Whitelist specific urls or domains that you do not want to suspend
➤ Optionally show screen capture of tab before it was suspended
➤ Vastly improves performance when restarting chrome with a large number of open tabs
➤ Detects tabs playing audio and can prevent them from suspending
➤ Detects tabs that contain forms with user input and can prevent them from suspending
➤ Configurable behaviour when browsing offline or on battery power
➤ Built from open source code for full transparency

https://chrome.google.com/webstore/deta ... kpeg?hl=en
Happy motoring!
Lt Root Beer of the Mighty 699th. Fogbow 💙s titular Mama June in Fogbow's Favourite Show™ Mama June: From Not To Hot! Fogbow's Theme Song™ Edith Massey's "I Got The Evidence!" https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C5jDHZd0JAg
RTH10260
Verified: ✔️ Eurobot

Re: Desktop / Laptop Useful Browser Extensions

Post by RTH10260 »

To note: Google Chrome has a Tab Group functionality itself. Right-click on a tab and chose "add to a new group".

Personally I did not like this way of grouping cause it made a single very small tab for the group. I have chosen to open a fresh Chrome browser invocation (single window) and keep all open tabs for some subject there. Switch thru the taskbar icon that lists all of these sets.

ETA. the Great Suspender just got installed. Seems to be what I need with the many inactive Chrome invocations sitting around.
raison de arizona
Verified: ✔️ he/him/his

Post by raison de arizona »

Have used the great suspender, nice product 👍. One thing I learned a ways back that was a game changer for me was that with Chrome you can name your windows. I work like RTH10260 with a fresh window for a fresh topic, which I can then name the window for and be able to quickly and easily get back to it.
“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams
Luke
Location: @orly_licious With Pete Buttigieg and the other "open and defiant homosexuals" --Bryan Fischer AFA

Post by Luke »

RTH, exactly. And I had trouble getting those tab groups to save when the browser was closed, it was too much work. With One Tab, before closing the browser, just click the icon and boom, it adds the full list in its own tab on the left. Then just scroll through the list, the name has no length limit.

Here's what it looks like, no signup, no email or anything, just install and off it goes. Thought I'd have to save each day but no, just put the new tabs at the top of the list. Then when it restarts, the tab with all the links is ready to go. If you leave the tabs open and restart the browser, they come back like usual if you have it set that way. So impressed with this little freebie had to share it, reckon many have a zillion tabs open. :P

One Tab.JPG
One Tab.JPG (56.07 KiB) Viewed 1550 times
Lt Root Beer of the Mighty 699th. Fogbow 💙s titular Mama June in Fogbow's Favourite Show™ Mama June: From Not To Hot! Fogbow's Theme Song™ Edith Massey's "I Got The Evidence!" https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C5jDHZd0JAg

Return to “Whatever Doesn't Fit Elsewhere”