Spring forward.
To delete this message, click the X at top right.

Food Fight Forum

zekeb
Occupation: Stable genius. One who tosses horseshit with a pitchfork and never misses the spreader.

Food Fight Forum

Post by zekeb »

We can unjack the Frankenstein threadjack here.
Il factotum
northland10
Verified: ✅ I'm me.

Re: Food Fight Forum

Post by northland10 »

In the ketchup and braut discussion (eww - a good mustard), since I live in the Chicago area, I was going to point out that ketchup on a hot dog insults the dog. I cared little for hot dogs until I moved here and experienced a Chicago dog. Now I really enjoy a Chicago dog and agree that ketchup on the dog is blasphemy.

I would be able to talk more on brauts or other sausages, but we are right now in a very dysfunctional relationship.
101010 :towel:
sugar magnolia

Post by sugar magnolia »

My husband puts ketchup on everything. I haven't eaten it intentionally in years. I have about 10 different kinds of mustard in the fridge right now though, including Nathan's original and a smooth sweet onion mustard and everything in between. My mother shocked my sister in law and me today when she got a beautiful fried oyster poboy, dressed, on Gambino's bread, and then slopped ketchup all over it. My muffaletta was good though.
northland10

Post by northland10 »

sugar magnolia wrote: Wed Apr 28, 2021 10:02 pm My husband puts ketchup on everything. I haven't eaten it intentionally in years. I have about 10 different kinds of mustard in the fridge right now though, including Nathan's original and a smooth sweet onion mustard and everything in between. My mother shocked my sister in law and me today when she got a beautiful fried oyster poboy, dressed, on Gambino's bread, and then slopped ketchup all over it. My muffaletta was good though.
Ketchup on fried oyster? Eww...

Love the 10 types of mustard.
Edit: I don't even put ketchup on burgers anymore. Mustard, or a garlic aioli, a chipotle mayo, or maybe some blue cheese thing. The only ketchup in y fridge are ones that come from restaurants for fries, and I only do that for some fries.
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

Okay, this is Pittsburgh, so ketchup is very big here. I actually do put ketchup on a lot of things, Heinz, of course. But I also love a wide assortment of mustard and I use that about as much. I had an uncle who put ketchup on and in everything, including home-made chicken soup. I'm making that for dinner tomorrow, and there won't be any ketchup on the table.
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
Foggy
Dick Tater
Verified: as seen on qvc zombie apocalypse

Post by Foggy »

In the past 37 years, I have used catsup only on top of my signature meat loaf, before putting it in the oven. :whistle:
Some things are simply too fast, or too relentless to avoid. Like the North Carolina rain.

Or the future.
Estiveo
Verified:

Post by Estiveo »

Uses for ketchup

Topping meatloaf-✅

Hot dogs/brats-❌

Mixed 50/50 with sriracha for fries/tots-✅

Occupying space in my refrigerator door until it's well past its use-by date and I toss it out no matter how small a bottle I buy because I just don't use it that often and no matter how long it sits there it never gets moldy what's up with that any way-✅
Image Image Image Image
northland10

Post by northland10 »

AndyinPA wrote: Wed Apr 28, 2021 10:44 pm Heinz, of course.
Oh dear, you said the magic word.

RVInit

Post by RVInit »

Estiveo wrote: Thu Apr 29, 2021 7:53 am Uses for ketchup

Topping meatloaf-✅

Hot dogs/brats-❌

Occupying space in my refrigerator door until it's well past its use-by date and I toss it out no matter how small a bottle I buy because I just don't use it that often and no matter how long it sits there it never gets moldy what's up with that any way-✅
:nope:

It's mayo on fries for me. Sriracha might improve the mayo for fries, though. Tots? Blech.

:mrgreen:
There's a lot of things that need to change. One specifically? Police brutality.
--Colin Kaepernick
Estiveo
Verified:

Post by Estiveo »

A sriracha aioli would be lovely.
Image Image Image Image
neonzx
Verified: 🤩✅✅✅✅✅🤩

Post by neonzx »

Estiveo wrote: Thu Apr 29, 2021 7:53 am Uses for ketchup

Topping meatloaf-✅

Hot dogs/brats-❌

There is no ketchup in my home. ❌
A selection of mustards, on the the other hand. ✅
RVInit

Post by RVInit »

Estiveo wrote: Thu Apr 29, 2021 9:30 am A sriracha aioli would be lovely.
:thumbsup: I'm up for it!
There's a lot of things that need to change. One specifically? Police brutality.
--Colin Kaepernick
Phoenix520
Verified:

Post by Phoenix520 »

We used to eat at a neighborhood restaurant that was suddenly discovered by the town’s Asian population.

One day the servers started bringing bowls of ketchup to the tables with every meal. I mean every meal. Oatmeal…with a side of ketchup. Chicken soup…with a side of ketchup. A bowl of fruit, pancakes & waffles…yup.

We had to add ‘no ketchup’ to our order. The only place I like ketchup is on corned beef hash, which is weird because except for hash it’s mustard all the way with that meat.

Any crappy mustard is better than the best ketchup.

Andy, did you know of Mike Kalina, the Pittsburgh food critic?
Frater I*I
Verified: ✅Verified Devilish Hyena

Post by Frater I*I »

To hell with ketchup....

Heinz 57 forever!!!!!!!!!
"He sewed his eyes shut because he is afraid to see, He tries to tell me what I put inside of me
He's got the answers to ease my curiosity, He dreamed a god up and called it Christianity"

Trent Reznor
MN-Skeptic

Post by MN-Skeptic »

As I mentioned before, I'm a ketchup and onions fan for hot dogs, hamburgers, etc. NO mustard.

My sweetie liked most everything on his sandwiches. But he also put ketchup on his scrambled eggs. Thinking now about it, considering his mom's cooking, maybe he had a reason. I only remember eating one meal that his mom helped cook. She thickened the gravy by just adding more flour. :roll:
tek

Post by tek »

I like Ketchup on my burgers and on certain styles of homefries. And it is a key ingredient in my meatloaf.

Hot dogs usually get cheese and relish, but that varies depending on the situation.
zekeb
Occupation: Stable genius. One who tosses horseshit with a pitchfork and never misses the spreader.

Post by zekeb »

Foggy wrote: Thu Apr 29, 2021 7:30 am In the past 37 years, I have used catsup only on top of my signature meat loaf, before putting it in the oven. :whistle:
Do you mean to tell us that you bake your tartare? :mrgreen:

https://www.allrecipes.com/recipe/60315 ... k-tartare/
Il factotum
sugar magnolia

Post by sugar magnolia »

Slaw dogs with mustard.
Ball Park or Hebrew National hot dogs, Popeye's (or Cap'n D's, in a pinch) slaw and French's mustard. All that and a bag of chips.
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

Andy, did you know of Mike Kalina, the Pittsburgh food critic?
The name was familiar, but I had to look him up to refresh my memory.
PITTSBURGH (AP) _ A restaurant critic reportedly under investigation for selling favorable mentions in a cookbook he wrote was found dead of an apparent suicide, police and federal investigators said.

Mike Kalina, critic for The Pittsburgh Post-Gazette and a television personality, was found dead in his car Monday in a parking lot. He killed himself by running a hose from an exhaust pipe into the passenger compartment, police said.

A deputy coroner listed the cause of death as carbon monoxide poisoning.

Family members told investigators that Kalina, 49, who had throat cancer 20 years ago, was upset because he recently discovered a lump in his throat, Deputy Coroner Mary Sweeney said. No note was found with the body.

Kalina’s ″The Traveling Gourmet″ show was seen on about 250 public television stations.

His death came less than a week after about 40 restaurateurs were subpoenaed to testify about Kalina to a federal grand jury, according to Postal Inspector Bill Ross.
I got my first taste of mayo on french fries in Amsterdam. Different, but interesting. How I really love fries is dipped in malt vinegar (lightly), then dipped in ketchup. I made fresh sausage and scrambled eggs for a light meal last night. I like both with ketchup, but scrambled eggs are the only eggs I put ketchup on. I also use it on a lot of meats, but not on hot dogs. (I also like the Chicago dog.) But Pittsburgh does some strange things. French fries added to a salad or on an open-face sandwich isn't unusual and was made famous by Primanti's here. It started out as a way to make it easy for truckers in the produce district to grab something quick to eat. It's actually not a favorite with me, although I understand it's high on a tourist's list to try. It's been featured on restaurant programs on TV. I try to remember to ask servers to put french fries on the side.

One spice that I use a LOT of is paprika, which is probably true of any area with a lot of Hungarian immigrants. I don't add it to any ethnic foods, like Mexican or Italian (okay, maybe in chili), but any meat I make will automatically have salt, pepper, and paprika just as anyone else would use salt and pepper. I have a pot of chicken soup on now, and there's lots of paprika in it. I'm also making cole slaw, and it will have it in, too. There are probably a few meats I wouldn't use it on. Ham comes to mind. But a good paprika is a wonderful seasoning.

And I remember the advertisement.
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
northland10

Post by northland10 »

AndyinPA wrote: Thu Apr 29, 2021 3:31 pm One spice that I use a LOT of is paprika, which is probably true of any area with a lot of Hungarian immigrants. I don't add it to any ethnic foods, like Mexican or Italian (okay, maybe in chili), but any meat I make will automatically have salt, pepper, and paprika just as anyone else would use salt and pepper. I have a pot of chicken soup on now, and there's lots of paprika in it. I'm also making cole slaw, and it will have it in, too. There are probably a few meats I wouldn't use it on. Ham comes to mind. But a good paprika is a wonderful seasoning.

Just the other day, I included paprika in the rice (along with garlic, onions, chicken broth, cayenne, sage, turmeric, and... well the poor bay leaf was forgotten). Depending on what I am having with the rice, I will change what I add (and sometimes it is safron rice).
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

northland10 wrote: Thu Apr 29, 2021 3:50 pm
AndyinPA wrote: Thu Apr 29, 2021 3:31 pm One spice that I use a LOT of is paprika, which is probably true of any area with a lot of Hungarian immigrants. I don't add it to any ethnic foods, like Mexican or Italian (okay, maybe in chili), but any meat I make will automatically have salt, pepper, and paprika just as anyone else would use salt and pepper. I have a pot of chicken soup on now, and there's lots of paprika in it. I'm also making cole slaw, and it will have it in, too. There are probably a few meats I wouldn't use it on. Ham comes to mind. But a good paprika is a wonderful seasoning.

Just the other day, I included paprika in the rice (along with garlic, onions, chicken broth, cayenne, sage, turmeric, and... well the poor bay leaf was forgotten). Depending on what I am having with the rice, I will change what I add (and sometimes it is safron rice).
OMG, how I love saffron. Unfortunately, it doesn't like me. :crying:
jemcanada2

Post by jemcanada2 »

This Canadian is ready for a food fight! :boxing: :boxing:

Gravy or vinegar on my french fries. And of course poutine, made with cheese curds.

I also love pineapple on my pizza! :boxing: :boxing:
Estiveo
Verified:

Post by Estiveo »

Pineapple & jalapeños together take pizza to the next, very yummy, level.
Image Image Image Image
Frater I*I
Verified: ✅Verified Devilish Hyena

Post by Frater I*I »

Estiveo wrote: Thu Apr 29, 2021 4:27 pm Pineapple & jalapeños together take pizza to the next, very yummy, level.
HERESY!!!!!
"He sewed his eyes shut because he is afraid to see, He tries to tell me what I put inside of me
He's got the answers to ease my curiosity, He dreamed a god up and called it Christianity"

Trent Reznor
zekeb

Post by zekeb »

jemcanada2 wrote: Thu Apr 29, 2021 4:12 pm This Canadian is ready for a food fight! :boxing: :boxing:

Gravy or vinegar on my french fries. And of course poutine, made with cheese curds.

I also love pineapple on my pizza! :boxing: :boxing:
Ketchup or catsup only on my fries, else naked.

Cheese curds yes. Is it Wisconsin cheese?

Pineapple pizza? Ewww... Italian you ain't.

Il factotum

Return to “Whatever Doesn't Fit Elsewhere”