Religious Right

bogus info

Religious Right

Post by bogus info »

[/break1]americablog.com/2009/04/religious-right-now-denying-that-theyve.html]http://www.americablog.com/2009/04/reli ... heyve.htmlReligious right now denying that they've murdered doctors, bombed clinics, and demanded the right to incite murderby John Aravosis (DC) on 4/21/2009 03:15:00 PM The religious right is not made up of good Americans who simply disagree with you and me. They're not even good Christians. They're angry, intolerant, hateful bigots. They're America's Taliban. They are the offspring of the racists who supported slavery and miscegenation laws. The Internet is their fire hose, but other than that, they are no different than the hate that came before them.This is a good article and worth reading. Pretty much says it all...............

Lola_Getz

Religious Right

Post by Lola_Getz »

http://www.americablog.com/2009/04/reli ... lReligious right now denying that they've murdered doctors, bombed clinics, and demanded the right to incite murderby John Aravosis (DC) on 4/21/2009 03:15:00 PM The religious right is not made up of good Americans who simply disagree with you and me. They're not even good Christians. They're angry, intolerant, hateful bigots. They're America's Taliban. They are the offspring of the racists who supported slavery and miscegenation laws. The Internet is their fire hose, but other than that, they are no different than the hate that came before them.This is a good article and worth reading. Pretty much says it all...............I call them the Talibornagains. My stepmother is one of them. She's also a vile hypocrite who thinks lying to people is fine "as long as you do it for the Lord."

notheydidn't

Religious Right

Post by notheydidn't »

I call them the Talibornagains. My stepmother is one of them. She's also a vile hypocrite who thinks lying to people is fine "as long as you do it for the Lord."It must be a Southern thing because I know many who hold that belief. How do you "lie for the Lord"? and why does the Lord need their lie to maintain order in the universe. LOL!

mimi

Religious Right

Post by mimi »

Hope this fits under this topic?

Jesus' General reports on a lecture Bill Nye (The Science Guy) gave in Texas. [When I clicked through to the source article, it is noted the article is a reprint from 2006.]

Yep, you heard me right. Bill Nye came down to Texas and blasphemed the Lord God of Abraham by claiming the moon does not have it's own light source; it merely reflects the sun.

Here's an eyewitness report:

The Emmy-winning scientist angered a few audience members when he criticized literal interpretation of the biblical verse Genesis 1:16, which reads: “God made two great lights - the greater light to govern the day and the lesser light to govern the night. He also made the stars.”

He pointed out that the sun, the “greater light,” is but one of countless stars and that the “lesser light” is the moon, which really is not a light at all, rather a reflector of light.

A number of audience members left the room at that point, visibly angered by what some perceived as irreverence.

“We believe in a God!” exclaimed one woman as she left the room with three young children.[/break1]blogspot.com/2009/04/bill-nye-science-guy-assaults-god-and.html]more at Jesus' General.

Lola_Getz

Religious Right

Post by Lola_Getz »

Hope this fits under this topic?Jesus' General reports on a lecture Bill Nye (The Science Guy) gave in Texas. [When I clicked through to the source article, it is noted the article is a reprint from 2006.]Yep, you heard me right. Bill Nye came down to Texas and blasphemed the Lord God of Abraham by claiming the moon does not have it's own light source; it merely reflects the sun.Here's an eyewitness report:The Emmy-winning scientist angered a few audience members when he criticized literal interpretation of the biblical verse Genesis 1:16, which reads: “God made two great lights - the greater light to govern the day and the lesser light to govern the night. He also made the stars.”He pointed out that the sun, the “greater light,” is but one of countless stars and that the “lesser light” is the moon, which really is not a light at all, rather a reflector of light.A number of audience members left the room at that point, visibly angered by what some perceived as irreverence.“We believe in a God!” exclaimed one woman as she left the room with three young children.Coulda been one of my crazy relatives. I know we have a Texas branch.

LM K

Religious Right

Post by LM K »

Hope this fits under this topic?

Jesus' General reports on a lecture Bill Nye (The Science Guy) gave in Texas. [When I clicked through to the source article, it is noted the article is a reprint from 2006.]

Yep, you heard me right. Bill Nye came down to Texas and blasphemed the Lord God of Abraham by claiming the moon does not have it's own light source; it merely reflects the sun.

Here's an eyewitness report:

The Emmy-winning scientist angered a few audience members when he criticized literal interpretation of the biblical verse Genesis 1:16, which reads: “God made two great lights - the greater light to govern the day and the lesser light to govern the night. He also made the stars.”

He pointed out that the sun, the “greater light,” is but one of countless stars and that the “lesser light” is the moon, which really is not a light at all, rather a reflector of light.

A number of audience members left the room at that point, visibly angered by what some perceived as irreverence.

“We believe in a God!” exclaimed one woman as she left the room with three young children.[/break1]blogspot.com/2009/04/bill-nye-science-guy-assaults-god-and.html]more at Jesus' General.The guy has his site banner and, right under the banner, brace yourselves, the words........."Spring Fund Drive"!
"The jungle is no place for a cello."
Take the Money and Run

mimi

Religious Right

Post by mimi »

The guy has his site banner and, right under the banner, brace yourselves, the words........."Spring Fund Drive"!The General is one of the best blogs on the intertubes. Give generously.

mimi

Religious Right

Post by mimi »

Mormon leader of NOM appears to advocate overthrow of US government "by whatever means necessary," and criminalization of homosexualityPeople for the American Way has discovered that in a long rambling article about the ills of gay marriage, reeking of conspiracy theories, Orson Scott Card, a Mormon leader of the religious right's top anti-gay marriage organization, National Organization for Marriage, advocated the criminalization of homosexuality, labeled the US government "our mortal enemy," talked about the "insane Constitution" dying, and then appeared to advocate the overthrow of the US government "by whatever means is made possible or necessary." The article was published in the influential Mormon Times, a publication owned by the Mormon church. (And in all fairness, JoeMyGod spotted this connection a week ago.)

By whatever means necessary

Faithful sexual monogamy, persistence until death, male protection and providence for wife and children, female loyalty to children and husband, and parental discretion in child-rearing.

If government is going to meddle in this, it had better be to support marriage in general while providing protection for those caught in truly destructive marriages.

Because when government is the enemy of marriage, then the people who are actually creating successful marriages have no choice but to change governments, by whatever means is made possible or necessary.More. [/break1]americablog.com/2009/04/mormon-leader-of-nom-seemed-to-advocate.html]Go read it here.

I hope Miss California is comfortable with this bunch.

PatGund

Religious Right

Post by PatGund »

People for the American Way has discovered that in a long rambling article about the ills of gay marriage, reeking of conspiracy theories, Orson Scott Card, a Mormon leader of the religious right's top anti-gay marriage organization, National Organization for Marriage, advocated the criminalization of homosexuality, labeled the US government "our mortal enemy," talked about the "insane Constitution" dying, and then appeared to advocate the overthrow of the US government "by whatever means is made possible or necessary." The article was published in the influential Mormon Times, a publication owned by the Mormon church. (And in all fairness, JoeMyGod spotted this connection a week ago.).Card needs to stick to writing Yet Another Sequel to "Ender's Game", and stay out of people's private lives.

Lola_Getz

Religious Right

Post by Lola_Getz »

The guy has his site banner and, right under the banner, brace yourselves, the words........."Spring Fund Drive"! Lisa, if you're not aware of the General, he's on our side, and very funny!

Youtube-said-so

Religious Right

Post by Youtube-said-so »

Science has no place in Texas, dammit!! Next thing ya know, they'll be a-tryin' to put it in our textbooks! Love that post

Taverl

Religious Right

Post by Taverl »

http://www.cnn.com/2009/US/04/30/religion.torture/ "The more often Americans go to church, the more likely they are to support the torture of suspected terrorists, according to a new survey."

To paraphrase a popular saying: "Somewhere, Jesus weeps. And it's their fault."

interestedbystander

Religious Right

Post by interestedbystander »

Mimi, thanks for the reminder of Jesus General. I haven't been there for months - I lost all my bookmarks recently, and had a feeling I was missing a few old regulars. I foresee a pleasant evening catching up with the General's manly missives.

Sequoia32

Religious Right

Post by Sequoia32 »

The guy has his site banner and, right under the banner, brace yourselves, the words........."Spring Fund Drive"!The General is one of the best blogs on the intertubes. Give generously.My favorite:The World According to Palin-McCain[/break1]blogspot.com/2008/10/world-according-to-palin-mccain.html#links]http://patriotboy.blogspot.com/2008/10/ ... html#links
So far every case of Ebola in this country got it by helping people. So relax, Republicans, you're in the clear. - Tina Dupuy

DrConspiracy

Religious Right

Post by DrConspiracy »

I call them the Talibornagains. My stepmother is one of them. She's also a vile hypocrite who thinks lying to people is fine "as long as you do it for the Lord."It must be a Southern thing because I know many who hold that belief. How do you "lie for the Lord"? and why does the Lord need their lie to maintain order in the universe. LOL!It may come from an almost unparseable passage from St. Paul in Romans 3:3-8 that can be misread to justify lying (although it actually says the opposite).
Looking for gold coins in a bucket of mud - since 2008.

mimi

Religious Right

Post by mimi »

From Harriet at [/break1]blogspot.com/]The Good Kentunkian:

[/break1]blogspot.com/2009/05/united-states-of-america-and-following.html]The United States of America and Following God's Law.

Of course, I am still mourning the fact that our country decided to elect Barack "non-believers are people too" Obama as President.

The tragedy is that we had a qualified Christian running for President. No, he isn't an Episcopalian but he is an ordained minister of faith with a graduate degree in theology.

Anyway, here is what he had to say:

http-~~-//www.youtube.com/watch?v=onHkywYc_1M

Jan. 18, 2008 | Behind the happy, healthy, guitar-strumming campaign style that has so besotted the national press corps, Mike Huckabee looks like something considerably less charming -- a zealous proponent of the "biblical" reformation of every aspect of American society.

If that sounds too extreme and aggressive to describe the smiling Huck -- who introduced himself to the country as "a conservative, but I'm not angry about it" -- then consider how he explained his urge to revamp the nation's founding document. At a public forum on the eve of the Michigan primary, while mocking Republican opponents who don't want to append a "marriage amendment" or a "life amendment" to the Constitution, he said: "I believe it's a lot easier to change the Constitution than it would be to change the word of the living God, and that's what we need to do is to amend the Constitution so it's in God's standards rather than try to change God's standards."

But those offending phrases may have had even deeper significance. Not so long ago, he attributed his rising political fortunes, after many experts had written off his campaign, to the hand of the Almighty. "There's only one explanation for it, and it's not a human one," he said. "It's the same power that helped a little boy with two fish and five loaves feed a crowd of 5,000 people, and that's the only way that our campaign could be doing what it's doing ... That's honestly why it's happening."Do you hear that? We need to change OUR laws to meet God's laws!

[snip]

So, exactly what would we look like, as a society, if we lived by the Word of The Almighty?

Well, there are lots of "thou shalls" and "thou shall nots" and lots of prescribed penalties for different things.

So let's turn to the Good Book itself to see for ourselves!

Let's focus on three issues:

Adultery:

According to the Good Book, the penalty for adultery is death. See Leviticus 20-10 (I'll provide some different translations)

New American Standard Bible (©1995)

If there is a man who commits adultery with another man's wife, one who commits adultery with his friend's wife, the adulterer and the adulteress shall surely be put to death.

GOD'S WORD® Translation (©1995)

"If a man commits adultery with another man's wife or with his neighbor's wife, both he and the woman must be put to death for their adultery.

King James Bible

And the man that committeth adultery with another man's wife, even he that committeth adultery with his neighbor's wife, the adulterer and the adulteress shall surely be put to death.

American King James Version

And the man that commits adultery with another man's wife, even he that commits adultery with his neighbor's wife, the adulterer and the adulteress shall surely be put to death.

American Standard Version

And the man that committeth adultery with another man's wife, even he that committeth adultery with his neighbor's wife, the adulterer and the adulteress shall surely be put to death.

Bible in Basic English

And if a man has sex relations with another man's wife, even the wife of his neighbour, he and she are certainly to be put to death.

Douay-Rheims Bible

If any man commit adultery with the wife of another, and defile his neighbour's wife, let then: be put to death, both the adulterer and the adulteress.

Darby Bible Translation

And a man that committeth adultery with a man's wife, who committeth adultery with his neighbour's wife, the adulterer and the adulteress shall certainly be put to death.

English Revised Version

And the man that committeth adultery with another man's wife, even he that committeth adultery with his neighbour's wife, the adulterer and the adulteress shall surely be put to death.

Webster's Bible Translation

World English Bible

"'The man who commits adultery with another man's wife, even he who commits adultery with his neighbor's wife, the adulterer and the adulteress shall surely be put to death.

Young's Literal Translation

'And a man who committeth adultery with a man's wife -- who committeth adultery with the wife of his neighbour -- the adulterer and the adulteress are surely put to death.[...][/break1]blogspot.com/2009/05/united-states-of-america-and-following.html]more here. WARNING: Some horrifying video both within the site, and [really bad] at external link.

mimi

Religious Right

Post by mimi »

I have never understood the concept of "imprecatory prayer".

Klingenschmitt Prays for Death of Weinstein, Lynn

Posted on: April 27, 2009 9:30 AM, by Ed Brayton

Uber-wingnut Gordon Klingenschmitt is now praying -- in Jesus' name, of course -- for God to strike down Mikey Weinstein of the Military Religious Freedom Foundation and Barry Lynn of Americans United for Separation of Church and State. You can [/break1]orgsrc="uploads/Image/eveningprayers/ChapsMP042509Sat.mp3]listen to the prayer here. [Caution] It's what they call an "imprecatory prayer," the same thing Southern Baptist Convention officer Wiley Drake did against Barry Lynn and others before. It's basically a curse, praying to God to kill those you pray against. Here's a transcript:

"One-Minute Prayer: Let us pray. Almighty God, today we pray imprecatory prayers from Psalm 109 against the enemies of religious liberty, including Barry Lynn and Mikey Weinstein, who issued press releases this week attacking me personally. God, do not remain silent, for wicked men surround us and tell lies about us. We bless them, but they curse us. Therefore find them guilty, not me. Let their days be few, and replace them with Godly people. Plunder their fields, and seize their assets. Cut off their descendants, and remember their sins, in Jesus' name. Amen."[/break1]blogspot.com/2009/05/gordon-klingenschmitt-to-secular.html]more here.

jsnbase

Religious Right

Post by jsnbase »

I have never understood the concept of "imprecatory prayer".

Klingenschmitt Prays for Death of Weinstein, Lynn

Posted on: April 27, 2009 9:30 AM, by Ed Brayton

Uber-wingnut Gordon Klingenschmitt is now praying -- in Jesus' name, of course -- for God to strike down Mikey Weinstein of the Military Religious Freedom Foundation and Barry Lynn of Americans United for Separation of Church and State. You can [/break1]orgsrc="uploads/Image/eveningprayers/ChapsMP042509Sat.mp3]listen to the prayer here. [Caution] It's what they call an "imprecatory prayer," the same thing Southern Baptist Convention officer Wiley Drake did against Barry Lynn and others before. It's basically a curse, praying to God to kill those you pray against. Here's a transcript:

"One-Minute Prayer: Let us pray. Almighty God, today we pray imprecatory prayers from Psalm 109 against the enemies of religious liberty, including Barry Lynn and Mikey Weinstein, who issued press releases this week attacking me personally. God, do not remain silent, for wicked men surround us and tell lies about us. We bless them, but they curse us. Therefore find them guilty, not me. Let their days be few, and replace them with Godly people. Plunder their fields, and seize their assets. Cut off their descendants, and remember their sins, in Jesus' name. Amen."[/break1]blogspot.com/2009/05/gordon-klingenschmitt-to-secular.html]more here.This is why I have so much trouble with religion (meaning me personally - do what you like.) How does someone believe in a God whose response to this would be "Oh, yeah, I missed that one. Thanks for the tip! One smiting coming up!"

Jez

Religious Right

Post by Jez »

Please tell me this is a satirical site. Please? Sometimes I need a clue that it is Satire.
I have learned silence from the talkative, toleration from the intolerant, and kindness from the unkind; yet, strange, I am ungrateful to those teachers.

~Khalil Gibran

tmohr00

Religious Right

Post by tmohr00 »

Please tell me this is a satirical site. Please? Sometimes I need a clue that it is Satire.I'm pretty sure it is - he links to the Church of the Flying Spaghetti Monster and Daily Kos, among others.

mimi

Religious Right

Post by mimi »

Please tell me this is a satirical site. Please? Sometimes I need a clue that it is Satire.Yes. In the same way as Jesus' General. To expose hypocrisy. I think it's very well done.The stories that are snarked are true.

TollandRCR

Religious Right

Post by TollandRCR »

Please tell me this is a satirical site. Please? Sometimes I need a clue that it is Satire.I think the site is really good satire. I suspect that The Good Kentuckian, Gordon Klingenschmitt, is his own "arch-enemy," Ed Brayton, because both are over-the-top. I think this is much like the Jesus General site, with dead-on satire that comes from knowing very well those you are satirizing (as in Jesus General living in a family that actually believes what he mocks). Note the clock counting down to December 21, 2012, which seems to be an Amazon ad. There are sections by which Obama could have been inspired to write part of his speech on religion (such as the injunctions of Leviticus to stone adults and children for various things). There are photographs and videos of atrocities committed by theocratic regimes. These are prefaced by

Well, it is a relatively little known fact that there are faith friendly places in the globe that still practice God's Law (albeit through one of those "almost right" religions, such as Islam)and followed up by

After seeing this, who could resist a movement to have the United States go to Biblical law?However, not everything on the site is obviously satire or at least not completely satire. The St. Christopher Old Catholic Church in Louisville is mentioned in several other sites and is said to meet for Saturday Mass in the Calvary Lutheran Church, Louisville. It differs from most other "old" or "traditional" Catholic churches in that not only does it favor some of the reforms of Vatican II but it goes further, ordaining women as priests and bishops, allowing priests to marry, ordaining openly gay clergy, and in general basing its belief system on John 3:16, with an emphasis on the phrase "...whoever believes in him..." Whether it exists mostly as a hope or as a real church could, I think, only be determined by showing up for Mass some Saturday night at 5:00PM. It could turn out to be a keg party, or it might actually be a protesting, reforming church. For some participants, it might be both. And it has a peculiar focus on demonology, with its priests practicing exorcism. The United States Old Catholic Church has a Paranormal Clergy and a Paranormal Institute. I suspect that the Good Kentuckian links to this site in satire, but there is a real thing there (unlike the FEMA concentration camps).

The Good Kentuckian has a link to Wikiality, "The Truthiness Encyclopedia," which explicitly denies that it is satire and tells liberals that they are not welcome. It is mostly a homage to Stephen Colbert. It pictures Hillary with her running mate for 2016, an enormous growling bear named Colbear. Its 'Word of the Day' is 'Dijon Mustard,' defined as 'Dijon mustard is a condiment that the dirty socialist French invented to feed their godless elitists, it was a vulgar attempt at overthrowing the all American Ketchup from America's tables!' Because many right-wingers do not understand that Colbert is satire, it is possible that Wikiality is just a very effective effort to expand the farce into new territory.

As right wingnuts have a demonstrated inability to identify satire, it is hard to tell whether some of the rantings and ravings posted by readers are themselves satire or not -- or that the site publishes some of both.

I'm not certain that the satire sites accomplish only what they want to accomplish, which is undermining the extreme right wing by making it act ridiculously. It is possible that they sometimes build hatred and fear in what are already deranged minds, and that could turn out badly. On the other hand, the human race has probably been mocking ignorance and illogic with satire since before we became Homo Sapiens Sapiens, and we have survived pretty well while some absurd ideas have been shot down.
“The truth is, we know so little about life, we don’t really know what the good news is and what the bad news is.” Kurt Vonnegut

Jez

Religious Right

Post by Jez »

I figured it was Satire. The thing with the Episcopal Church was one clue, and the picture of Stephen Colbert. But I will always be the first to admit, I'm not always on the ball.
I have learned silence from the talkative, toleration from the intolerant, and kindness from the unkind; yet, strange, I am ungrateful to those teachers.

~Khalil Gibran

Sequoia32

Religious Right

Post by Sequoia32 »

Welcome Norma Jean!It will be good to have your "special" views here at PJ.
So far every case of Ebola in this country got it by helping people. So relax, Republicans, you're in the clear. - Tina Dupuy

Return to “Miscellaneous”