Coming Up for Air....

Tell us about yourself. But only things you want us to know.
shannon
Verified:

Coming Up for Air....

Post by shannon »

Hello from the Pacific Northwest. I'm doing some relaxing before I dive back into school on Monday. But it looks like I'm on track for graduation from University of Washington - Bothell this June or August with a Bachelors of Science in Earth Systems Science. (Where I will go from the larval stage of a scientist to the juvenile stage, with hopes of eventually achieving adult-stage scientist)

Of course, graduation may get delayed if I get a chance for a study abroad at the University of Iceland. :)

Applying for grad schools this week, with the three main choices being University of Washington (Seattle), Central Washington University (Ellensburg, Washington), or University of British Columbia.

Not bad for someone turning 56 in a few months

Tabi and I are still married and still disgustingly cute. We live in Kenmore with Tabi's wife Chris, some housemates, four cats, and a corn snake. We had one housemate (who owned the house and left everything to Chris) pass away in November, but we'll be getting his composted remains back in a few more weeks. The offspring turned 20 and is busy deciding what to be when they grow up.

My other beloveds are doing well, except for the usual issues with quarantine, touch starvation, and the usual problems with a pandemic.

I keep an eye on the Qtips, SovCits, Rat Lickers, and the like, but so far have resisted the urge to blog about them.

For the most part, barring pandemics and a return of the former resident into the white house he defiled, life and my future look good.
Mad Geoscientist GRADUATE STUDENT in Training
Phoenix520
Verified:

Re: Coming Up for Air....

Post by Phoenix520 »

Welcome back, Teddy Bear! Life sounds good.
Sam the Centipede

Post by Sam the Centipede »

Good to see the old 'uns back!

Get in a year of science then early retirement, eh?

I found doing a one year master's in my 40s difficult enough, doing a bachelor's in one's 50s, respect man.
Tiredretiredlawyer
Verified: ✅🐴🐎🦄🌻5000 posts and counting

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer »

So good to see you!!!!!! A big YES to studying in Iceland. I've been once and am aching to go back! :bighug:
"Mickey Mouse and I grew up together." - Ruthie Tompson, Disney animation checker and scene planner and one of the first women to become a member of the International Photographers Union in 1952.
shannon
Verified:

Coming Up for Air....

Post by shannon »

Sam the Centipede wrote: Sun Jan 02, 2022 8:47 am Good to see the old 'uns back!

Get in a year of science then early retirement, eh?

I found doing a one year master's in my 40s difficult enough, doing a bachelor's in one's 50s, respect man.
What is this retirement of which you speak??

Right now, the big questions are a) what do I do after my masters, and b) am I crazy enough to go for a PhD? Thankfully questions that don't quite need answers for a few more years.
shannon
Verified:

Coming Up for Air....

Post by shannon »

So in early August, I landed in Keflavik, and found my way to the University of Iceland.

Adventures happened. I walked along a lava flow. Saw eruptions. Got to visit Heimsley. Tried Hakarl, which isn't nearly as horrid as claimed. Took amazing classes, and proved to myself I could do graduate level work.

And cats. Lots of cats. Reykjavik is KNOWN for the cats.

My one non-Geology class, in the folklore and history of Iceland, was flat out AMAZING, and I ended up friends with the professor. She''s been following my attempts to reproduce many of the Icelandic baked goods I've tried - and joked that Tabi and I should come to Reykjavik and open a bakery.

The one downside was missing Tabi, who was unable to come with me due to having her knees replaced before and during my stay.

I came back in the middle of December. Living for a time in Mountlake Terrace until I start Graduate School at Central Washington University in Ellensberg, WA, this September.

My degree was officially awarded in March, a Bachelor of Science in Earth Systems Science (Geoscience) with a Minor in Geographic Information Systems. Temporarily I'm working doing IT for the local branch of a multi-national company known for lightbulbs, medical equipment, and defective CPAP machines.

Oh, and I get bossed around by a 12 year old little black cat named Chet. Who thinks I am the most badly trained thumb beast ever.

My offspring is 21, trying their non-binary wings out as an adult. I'm delighted by this human I helped create, and glad I only had the one.

I admit to being tempted to be a political blogger again. Especially with the shitstorm of stupid and the open march towards fascism that has become such a hallmark of the modern GOP and their allied domestic terrorists. And the anti-Trans - and anti-LBGTQ+ crap being spewed has got me scared for my family, and for my friends. It's a terrifying reality right now.

But I think it's best to leave the blogging aside, and focus on my new career, my beloveds, my family, and my friends.
AndyinPA
Verified:

Coming Up for Air....

Post by AndyinPA »

Congratulations on the work, the degree, and getting to live in Iceland (awesome) for a while!
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
SuzieC
Verified:

Coming Up for Air....

Post by SuzieC »

I wish you would blog again. We need as many good, articulate bloggers on our side as possible. But understand why you're not. Iceland sounds awesome. If you get a chance describe some of the baked goods. I love to bake!
Phoenix520
Verified:

Coming Up for Air....

Post by Phoenix520 »

You can rant here, which you will anyway, and chose which to expand to a blog.

Congrats on your accomplishments! Welcome home!
somerset

Coming Up for Air....

Post by somerset »

There's even a recent thread on bad movies :biggrin:

Welcome back!!
much ado

Coming Up for Air....

Post by much ado »

OMG! Geology at Central Washington University, Ellensburg! Congratulations!!

I didn't know anything about the place until about a year ago I came across these geology YT videos by Nick Zentner of CWU. His lectures are wonderful. The first one I watched was on Mount Rainier's Osceola Mudflow. Here it is...

I watched several more of his videos. They were all good.
shannon
Verified:

Coming Up for Air....

Post by shannon »

much ado wrote: Mon May 08, 2023 7:10 pm OMG! Geology at Central Washington University, Ellensburg! Congratulations!!

I didn't know anything about the place until about a year ago I came across these geology YT videos by Nick Zentner of CWU. His lectures are wonderful. The first one I watched was on Mount Rainier's Osceola Mudflow. Here it is...

(snip)

I watched several more of his videos. They were all good.
Nick Zentner "rocks" :)

True story. When I first went back to school and was considering Geology (as opposed to Emergency Management), I had a chance to go on a field trip to the Drumheller Channels in central Washington.

The hills were looking intimidating to a former IT pro in his mid 50's. And then I heard another instructor (who is about a year or so younger than me), ask how Nick was doing after a double knee replacement.

And I went "Hell, if HE can do it, so can I !!"

Return to “Introduce Yourself”