The Post and Email

realist

The Post and Email

Post by realist »

Must have been maintenance, the board is back up: [/break1]boards2go.com/boards/board.cgi?action=read&id=1361940616.5774&user=minerman54]http://www.boards2go.com/boards/board.c ... minerman54I do it for the Chitlins 8>Sharon sez...Journalists are expected to investigate, not propagate stories which may not be accurate.I have begun buying irony meters by the gross. ](*,)
ImageX 4 ImageX36

Reality Check

The Post and Email

Post by Reality Check »

However, it was neither “conservatives” nor “birthers” who first “raised doubts about the validity of the president’s birth certificate,” but rather, software, Adobe®, and computer graphics experts. Within hours of the image’s release on the White House website on April 27, 2011, experts declared it a crude forgery. [highlight]Mara Zebest, a co-author of more than a dozen books on Adobe software, staked her reputation on the claim during a press conference in June of that year.[/highlight]What reputation? =))
"“If you’re not outraged, you’re not paying attention.”

Heather Heyer, November 2016

kate520

The Post and Email

Post by kate520 »

WTF? Zebest is both, not neither.
DEFEND DEMOCRACY

Suranis

The Post and Email

Post by Suranis »

I like this line

However, it was neither “conservatives” nor “birthers” who first “raised doubts about the validity of the president’s birth certificate,” but rather, software, Adobe®, and computer graphics experts, none of whom ectually said it but goddamit the sylphs we see dispersing chemtrails told us by telepathy. Within hours of the image’s release on the White House website on April 27, 2011, experts in embroidery and TV soaps declared it a crude forgery, mostly without even seeing it. Mara Zebest, a co-author of more than a dozen books on Adobe software, er, I mean 2 actually, 12 years ago, staked her reputation, total value $0.00, on the claim during a press conference in June of that year. Half of which was taken up with her trying to get the computer to work
The difference between the Middle Ages, and the Age of the Internet, is that in the Middle Ages no-one thought the Earth was flat.

TexasFilly

The Post and Email

Post by TexasFilly »

Yeah, there are people who have seen Bigfoot, therefore Obama was born in Kenya. QED.I'm surprised that the expert journalist, Sharon RonDUE, failed to research Bigfoot sightings more thoroughly and interview the preeminent Bigfoot Expert, Ed Hale. =))
I love the poorly educated!!!

Kevin McCarthy: Paul Ryan playing with a head injury -- Jon Lovett

PatGund

The Post and Email

Post by PatGund »

Yeah, there are people who have seen Bigfoot, therefore Obama was born in Kenya. QED.I'm surprised that the expert journalist, Sharon RonDUE, failed to research Bigfoot sightings more thoroughly and interview the preeminent Bigfoot Expert, Ed Hale. =))Or the former Bigfoot researcher, "Citizen" Larry Wells.

A Legal Lohengrin

The Post and Email

Post by A Legal Lohengrin »

[highlight]Mara Zebest, a co-author of more than a dozen books on Adobe software, staked her reputation on the claim during a press conference in June of that year.[/highlight]What reputation? =))She would harm her reputation as a delusional nutcase and a fraud if she ever said something true. Nothing she said at that "press conference" poses such a threat.

PatGund

The Post and Email

Post by PatGund »

"There are numerous reports of sightings of a “Loch Ness Monster,” and many believe that there is a Bigfoot creature living in the wild. Galileo Galilei was placed under house arrest after presenting his theory that the earth rotated around the sun instead of the other way around, a contention also believed by the scientist Copernicus, although he did not publish his research for fear of ridicule. "Well, you might want to discuss bigfoot with Ed Hale or "Citizen" Larry Wells.

That being said, the logic here is interesting. Basically "there might actually be Bigfoot or the Loch Ness monster, so that's proof our concerns about President Obama are valid".

In the absence of factual information and credible evidence, it's hard to believe in mythical creatures like Sasquatch. Nessie, the California State Bar ethics committee, or unicorns.

Suranis

The Post and Email

Post by Suranis »

You see, the very fact that they cannot find any evidence at all is proof of the conspiracy.
The difference between the Middle Ages, and the Age of the Internet, is that in the Middle Ages no-one thought the Earth was flat.

jtmunkus

The Post and Email

Post by jtmunkus »

[highlight]Mara Zebest, a co-author of more than a dozen books on Adobe software, staked her reputation on the claim during a press conference in June of that year.[/highlight]What reputation? =))She would harm her reputation as a delusional nutcase and a fraud if she ever said something true. Nothing she said at that "press conference" poses such a threat.Zebest well-established her reputation at the beginning of the presser when she demonstrated that she couldn't open her software for several minutes without assistance from Jesus H. Corsi. =))

Loren

The Post and Email

Post by Loren »

Well, you might want to discuss bigfoot with Ed Hale or "Citizen" Larry Wells.

That being said, the logic here is interesting. Basically "there might actually be Bigfoot or the Loch Ness monster, so that's proof our concerns about President Obama are valid".

In the absence of factual information and credible evidence, it's hard to believe in mythical creatures like Sasquatch. Nessie, the California State Bar ethics committee, or unicorns.I suppose this is off-topic, but prominent FreeRepublic birther MHGinTN is a [/break1]theblackvault.com/encyclopedia/documents/MUFON/Journals/2007/June_2007.pdf]MUFON (Mutual UFO Network) Certified Field Investigator.

magdalen77

The Post and Email

Post by magdalen77 »

I kind of hate to admit it, but I believe or have believed in Bigfoot, Nessie and UFOs. I even went to see J. Allen Hynek speak about Project Bluebook back in maybe the mid-70s.

Suranis

The Post and Email

Post by Suranis »

To be fair, if some kind of Primate could probably be able to survive in the American north west, so Belief in Bigfoot is not exactly irrational. I've seen people on docu shows make fairly rational and consistent descriptions about seeing something, and Gorillas were dismissed as fantasy at the beginning of the 20th century.EVERYONE wants to believe in the Loch Ness monster. Even the skeptics. But the Loch has been surveyed up and down, and there probably is nothing there. Dammit. :(99.9% of UFO sightings are false and silly. But there is that 0.1% that's fascinating.And frankly, I'm glad that there are such things there, that stretch our capability to wonderAs babylon 5 put it...[BBvideo 425,350:r2uqhki5][/BBvideo]

CatMe

The Post and Email

Post by CatMe »

Every time I see Post and Email, I think "Post and E-Fail." It is a much more interesting, fitting name.

magdalen77

The Post and Email

Post by magdalen77 »

To be fair, if some kind of Primate could probably be able to survive in the American north west, so Belief in Bigfoot is not exactly irrational. I've seen people on docu shows make fairly rational and consistent descriptions about seeing something, and Gorillas were dismissed as fantasy at the beginning of the 20th century.EVERYONE wants to believe in the Loch Ness monster. Even the skeptics. But the Loch has been surveyed up and down, and there probably is nothing there. Dammit. :(99.9% of UFO sightings are false and silly. But there is that 0.1% that's fascinating.And frankly, I'm glad that there are such things there, that stretch our capability to wonderAs babylon 5 put it...snip, so as not to repeat That was wonderful, Suranis. 8> :cheer:

RTH10260

The Post and Email

Post by RTH10260 »

Every time I see Post and Email, I think "Post Pest and E-Fail." It is a much more interesting, fitting name.FIFY

John carter

The Post and Email

Post by John carter »

To be fair, if some kind of Primate could probably be able to survive in the American north west, so Belief in Bigfoot is not exactly irrational. I've seen people on docu shows make fairly rational and consistent descriptions about seeing something, and Gorillas were dismissed as fantasy at the beginning of the 20th century.EVERYONE wants to believe in the Loch Ness monster. Even the skeptics. But the Loch has been surveyed up and down, and there probably is nothing there. Dammit. :(99.9% of UFO sightings are false and silly. But there is that 0.1% that's fascinating.And frankly, I'm glad that there are such things there, that stretch our capability to wonderAs babylon 5 put it...snip, so as not to repeat That was wonderful, Suranis. 8> :cheer:I agree wonderfully stated. Look at the world we know. Planets revolve around suns which are part of galaxies. On a smaller scale you have atoms surrounded by electrons. when you step back and look at either they are similiar in design. Who knows how big or small it gets. It's all based on your position within the scale of things. :-k

Sam the Centipede

The Post and Email

Post by Sam the Centipede »

To be fair, if some kind of Primate could probably be able to survive in the American north west, so Belief in Bigfoot is not exactly irrational. I've seen people on docu shows make fairly rational and consistent descriptions about seeing something, and Gorillas were dismissed as fantasy at the beginning of the 20th century.EVERYONE wants to believe in the Loch Ness monster. Even the skeptics. But the Loch has been surveyed up and down, and there probably is nothing there. Dammit. :(99.9% of UFO sightings are false and silly. But there is that 0.1% that's fascinating.And frankly, I'm glad that there are such things there, that stretch our capability to wonderAs babylon 5 put it...snip, so as not to repeat That was wonderful, Suranis. 8> :cheer:I agree wonderfully stated. Look at the world we know. Planets revolve around suns which are part of galaxies. On a smaller scale you have atoms surrounded by electrons. when you step back and look at either they are similiar in design. Who knows how big or small it gets. It's all based on your position within the scale of things. :-kFollowing the mild threadjack, but what the heck!When it comes to trying to get an idea of just how small we are in the universe, it's worth looking at breathtaking Hubble Deep Field images (image at end of post, [link]Wikipedia,http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hubble_Deep_Field[/link] explains more). The images are of a small area of apparently empty space, taken with long exposure times, showing a spectacular collection of gorgeous galaxies invisible to all but the most powerful of telescopes.The image shows about 3,000 galaxies, each containing billions of stars.And if you put a single, small grain of rice on the end of your finger, and held it out at arm's length, that grain of rice could easily cover the area of sky in which those 3,000 galaxies are found. And the rest of the sky is probably similarly populated by a similar density of (invisible) galaxies, so there are millions of billions of them.Many, many times more galaxies out there than there are people on the earth. More stars in each galaxy that there are people on the earth. It is BIG out there, unimaginably big.The light from those distant faint galaxies has taken billions of years to reach us; we see young galaxies but there are now much older. Many probably long ago disappeared in cataclysmic collisions between galaxies. Life has probably evolved many times, sometimes intelligent life, civilizations of some sorts too, sometimes completely obliterated in huge cosmic events as stars collapse, galaxies collide, planets collide. The light left those stars before the earth had formed. It is not only big out there, it is OLD. It is "long long ago in a far distant galaxy"!Apologies for getting evangelical, I don't know how anybody could look at and appreciate those images without finding a sense of wonder in science and nature. Those Middle Eastern creation stories and fables look uninspired and dreary in comparison to the true variety and size of nature, as do the idiotic burblings of theologians. And the insane rantings of birthers.(This image is at [link]http://imgsrc.hubblesite.org/hu/db/imag ... -a-web.jpg[/link].)

Epectitus

The Post and Email

Post by Epectitus »

To be fair, if some kind of Primate could probably be able to survive in the American north west, so Belief in Bigfoot is not exactly irrational. I've seen people on docu shows make fairly rational and consistent descriptions about seeing something, and Gorillas were dismissed as fantasy at the beginning of the 20th century.Aaaaaaactually, no. Not exactly.

For starters, gorilla's were always very well known by the Africans who lived with them.

But even among non-Africans, Gorilla's were known since at least the 6th Century BC. There was (for example) a Phoenician trader from Carthage who came back with detailed descriptions of Gorillas from West Africa 2,500 years ago. By at least the 16th & 17th Centuries AD, Portuguese and English explorers were returning with further stories of chimpanzees and gorillas, calling them "hairy men." Gorillas were "formally described" by science in 1847, about the same time that a few were being brought back alive (for at least a little while) to European and North American zoos.

What you have heard about here is a bit of a canard. It is only the mountain gorilla (Gorilla gorilla berengei) that was still unknown at the beginning of the 20th century, and it is only a subspecies of gorilla, not a completely different and new ape. Until then, it was only the lowland gorilla (Gorilla gorilla gorilla) that Europeans had encountered. The mountain subspecies was discovered by a German officer named Captain Robert von Beringe (hence the subspecific name) in 1902.

The story that cryptobiologists like to float about "the gorilla being unknown until the 20th century' is a bit of misleading spin on the story of a subspecies, not gorilla's in general.
"Hell, I would wear a dress and ruby red slippers all year if we can prove this" - Mike Zullo

Suranis

The Post and Email

Post by Suranis »

boo hiss :(

Litlebritdifrnt2

The Post and Email

Post by Litlebritdifrnt2 »

I kind of hate to admit it, but I believe or have believed in Bigfoot, Nessie and UFOs. I even went to see J. Allen Hynek speak about Project Bluebook back in maybe the mid-70s.I still believe in Nessie, UFOs and Bigfoot. I have seen and heard things at Loch Ness that I can never explain, for me it is personal. I have had experiences with reference to aliens that I still cannot explain, you will never get me to give up my belief in that. I have never seen a Bigfoot, but when you consider that the story recently that a woodpecker that was long considered extinct was recently found alive, then to my mind there is no reason to believe that there couldn't be a Bigfoot out there. I like to pick my "conspiracies" so to speak. I still think that there is more evidence for UFOs, Nessie and Bigfoot than there has ever been for birferism.

Litlebritdifrnt2

The Post and Email

Post by Litlebritdifrnt2 »

To be fair, if some kind of Primate could probably be able to survive in the American north west, so Belief in Bigfoot is not exactly irrational. I've seen people on docu shows make fairly rational and consistent descriptions about seeing something, and Gorillas were dismissed as fantasy at the beginning of the 20th century.Aaaaaaactually, no. Not exactly.

For starters, gorilla's were always very well known by the Africans who lived with them.

But even among non-Africans, Gorilla's were known since at least the 6th Century BC. There was (for example) a Phoenician trader from Carthage who came back with detailed descriptions of Gorillas from West Africa 2,500 years ago. By at least the 16th & 17th Centuries AD, Portuguese and English explorers were returning with further stories of chimpanzees and gorillas, calling them "hairy men." Gorillas were "formally described" by science in 1847, about the same time that a few were being brought back alive (for at least a little while) to European and North American zoos.

What you have heard about here is a bit of a canard. It is only the mountain gorilla (Gorilla gorilla berengei) that was still unknown at the beginning of the 20th century, and it is only a subspecies of gorilla, not a completely different and new ape. Until then, it was only the lowland gorilla (Gorilla gorilla gorilla) that Europeans had encountered. The mountain subspecies was discovered by a German officer named Captain Robert von Beringe (hence the subspecific name) in 1902.

The story that cryptobiologists like to float about "the gorilla being unknown until the 20th century' is a bit of misleading spin on the story of a subspecies, not gorilla's in general.
Eppi I love you dude but species continue to be discovered to this day. Only last year there was an expedition to the rain forest that discovered dozens of new species that had never been heard of. While I am cool with your gorilla thing, you have to accept that new species are discovered on this planet every year. We have no idea what is out there, we never really can, until human beings have explored and mapped every inch of this planet, a feat that we will never accomplish.

MaineSkeptic

The Post and Email

Post by MaineSkeptic »

I still believe in Nessie, UFOs and Bigfoot. I have seen and heard things at Loch Ness that I can never explain, for me it is personal.I still have my Nessie necktie that I bought there in '69.Very personal. And very narrow.

Sterngard Friegen

The Post and Email

Post by Sterngard Friegen »

I still believe in Nessie, UFOs and Bigfoot. I have seen and heard things at Loch Ness that I can never explain, for me it is personal.I still have my Nessie necktie that I bought there in '69.Very personal. And very narrow.Bolo?

MaineSkeptic

The Post and Email

Post by MaineSkeptic »

I still have my Nessie necktie that I bought there in '69.Very personal. And very narrow.Bolo?No, it's two-dimensional, but barely.

Return to “Miscellaneous”