Gun Control

somerset

Gun Control

Post by somerset »

neeneko wrote: Sun May 21, 2023 12:01 pm
Gregg wrote: Sat May 20, 2023 7:27 pm I'm speechless. Are there really people this stupid outside of institutions? I've spilled more that that out of the end of a badly rolled joint before, sure as hell no one ever died from that much.
Looking at some of their other posts, it really looks like a joke to me. Another image was of a pair of steaks and a captain claiming that a single joint will make your lungs look like this. And another saying pot caused 9/11. A real whackjob christian twitter would be unlikely to pass up the opportunity to blame jews or satanists or muslims or catholics for 9/11.
Too, also - "The" pot is something grandparents used to say in the 60s and 70s. Who uses that term now?
keith
Occupation: Retired Computer Systems Analyst Project Manager Super Coder
Verified: ✅lunatic

Gun Control

Post by keith »

pipistrelle wrote: Sat May 20, 2023 7:32 pm If 6,000 teens were dying every day, it'd be bigger news.
Edit: That's 2,190,000 a year.
The ACTUAL number is 0.
Has everybody heard about the bird?
Foggy
Dick Tater
Verified: as seen on qvc zombie apocalypse

Gun Control

Post by Foggy »

Off Topic
Yeah, you can't really overdose on marijuana.

I tried, though. I did give it a hell of a try. :biggrin:
🎶 We went for a ride,
We got outside,
The sand was hot,
She wanted to dance ... 🎶
Suranis

Gun Control

Post by Suranis »

It came up in my support group the last session and the councilor said the amount of kids he has seen have been driven into therapy by it is unreal.

So, no I don't think its very funny. And the smell of the stuff makes me ill. But I know that I'm, again, on the "wrong" side here.
Hic sunt dracones
Tiredretiredlawyer
Verified: ✅🐴🐎🦄🌻5000 posts and counting

Gun Control

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer »

Suranis wrote: Mon May 22, 2023 12:45 pm It came up in my support group the last session and the councilor said the amount of kids he has seen have been driven into therapy by it is unreal.

So, no I don't think its very funny. And the smell of the stuff makes me ill. But I know that I'm, again, on the "wrong" side here.
Hidden Content
This board requires you to be registered and logged-in to view hidden content.
"Mickey Mouse and I grew up together." - Ruthie Tompson, Disney animation checker and scene planner and one of the first women to become a member of the International Photographers Union in 1952.
keith
Occupation: Retired Computer Systems Analyst Project Manager Super Coder
Verified: ✅lunatic

Gun Control

Post by keith »

Tiredretiredlawyer wrote: Mon May 22, 2023 5:25 pm
Suranis wrote: Mon May 22, 2023 12:45 pm It came up in my support group the last session and the councilor said the amount of kids he has seen have been driven into therapy by it is unreal.

Hidden Content
This board requires you to be registered and logged-in to view hidden content.
I have no doubt that psycho/physical effects from marijuana can be bad, even life threatening, however, NOBODY dies from smoking pot. It is not physically possible to smoke enough pot to die from it - you get way too stoned to keep going before you get within cooee of an overdose. I expect driving under the influence is not a good idea (though stoned drivers tend to drive slower), and accidents have probably happened - that is certainly a possibility. But unlike alcohol poisoning, marijuana poisoning is a vanishingly remote possibility.

ETA:

Rates, characteristics and manner of cannabis-related deaths in Australia 2000–2018
A total of 559 cases were identified, with a mean age of 35.8 years, 81.2% were male. The crude mortality rate per 100,000 people ranged between 0.10 (CI = 0.06−0.15) and 0.23 (CI = 0.17−0.30). The manner of deaths were: accidental injury (29.9%), suicide (25.0%), polysubstance toxicity (17.0%), natural disease (16.1 %), natural disease and drug effect/toxicity (7.9%), assault (3.0%) and unascertained (1.1%). No deaths were solely due to cannabis toxicity.
Has everybody heard about the bird?
Sam the Centipede

Gun Control

Post by Sam the Centipede »

Anecdotally I hear the same as TRL: that a significant tranche of people with psychiatric problems appear to indulge (or have indulged) in high use of strong cannabis. Cause, effect, correlation, coincidence? Not for me to say. I don't smoke anything.

As keith indicates, I don't think anybody in saneworld believes cannabis kills directly. Perhaps (and arguably) indirectly if it exacerbates psychological problems leading to suicide, but I am sure mild usage saves many more lives by keeping people feeling calmer, less pained, making healthier decisions.

Deffo less damaging than booze. There's a killer, despite Jesus approving of it so much that he is reported to have turned water into wine!
Tiredretiredlawyer

Gun Control

Thanks for making the distinction about overdosing not possible on marijuana as opposed to other substances. I was not focusing on that part of the discussion and did not intend to convey that I agreed with that. :biggrin:
"Mickey Mouse and I grew up together." - Ruthie Tompson, Disney animation checker and scene planner and one of the first women to become a member of the International Photographers Union in 1952.
raison de arizona
Verified: ✔️ he/him/his

Gun Control

Post by raison de arizona »

Off Topic
Marijuana can be abused just like any other substance. I agree with Sam that it is better than alcohol. I know that with my arthritis, it helps immeasurably and makes it possible for me to do things I would otherwise no be able to do. FWIW.
:crying:
https://twitter.com/POTUS/status/166146 ... 12481?s=20
President Biden @POTUS wrote: It's been a year since Robb Elementary School in Uvalde, Texas turned into another tragedy in America.

A year of missed birthdays.
A year of every day joys – his smile, her laugh – gone.

Today, we mourn the 19 children and two educators stolen from us by gun violence.
But Uvalde was going to be different! There was going to be some real change! :crying:
“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams
Dave from down under

Gun Control

Post by Dave from down under »

Unfortunately after a couple of decades without a school shooting in the country..

Thankfully no one was injured...

and as a result

Premier praises response to 'traumatic' event
The WA premier thanked the staff and students for their "calmness under pressure" and said the school practised lockdown protocols twice a year.

"Can I congratulate all of them on what they did yesterday, obviously it was traumatic and it'll no doubt have some lasting impacts on some of the people involved," Mr McGowan said.

Mr McGowan said the government was moving quickly to reform gun laws in the state, which he said will be the toughest in the country.

"This is the sort of thing that you see on television in the United States," he said.

"It's not the sort of thing you expect or should expect to see happen here in Australia.

"It's one of those things that we all shake our heads about.

"There's 360,000 guns in Western Australia. That's way too many.

"We're going to deal with it and that means there'll be tougher controls, and there'll be fewer guns."

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2023-05-25/ ... /102388604
raison de arizona

Gun Control

“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams
Greatgrey
Verified: 💲8️⃣

Gun Control

Post by Greatgrey »

Guy goes to buy a gun, takes his buddy along. Guy can’t figure out how to get the slide off the new gun, so his buddy pulls out his to show him how. Only he’s not really conversant with the procedure as well, and…. You know how this ends.

What's the Frequency, Kenneth?
Dave from down under

Gun Control

Well regulated militia.
RTH10260
Verified: ✔️ Eurobot

Gun Control

Post by RTH10260 »

Yes - regulates itself according to the Darwin Award laws :twisted: :lol:
Sam the Centipede

Gun Control

Post by Sam the Centipede »

No, no, no you have it all wrong, you deranged libs! If it weren't for you anti-freedom communists there would have been a good guy with an assault rifle standing by who would have seen the guy fiddling incompetently with his friend's gun and shot him dead on the spot.

Or perhaps just tasered him.

I guess that pair just added to the statistic that a gun owner or the owner's family is more likely to be injured by his/her gun than anyone else.
Tiredretiredlawyer

Gun Control

mug-beer-11093610.jpg
mug-beer-11093610.jpg (43.94 KiB) Viewed 1315 times
The Fogbow Hold My Beer Award is now bestowed on the fellow with the loaded gun.
Suranis

Gun Control

Post by Suranis »

Greatgrey wrote: Wed Jun 07, 2023 8:20 pm Guy goes to buy a gun, takes his buddy along. Guy can’t figure out how to get the slide off the new gun, so his buddy pulls out his to show him how. Only he’s not really conversant with the procedure as well, and…. You know how this ends.

https://twitter.com/Scottcrates/status/ ... 76224?s=20
Bonus points for shooting his pal in the dick.

To be fair it looks to me like he took the clip out before messing with the second gun, but there must have still been "one in the chamber."

Anyway, good thing he was in a gun shop, so the man can replace his lost member with ease.
Hic sunt dracones
Gregg

Gun Control

Post by Gregg »

Suranis wrote: Sat Jun 10, 2023 11:44 am
Greatgrey wrote: Wed Jun 07, 2023 8:20 pm Guy goes to buy a gun, takes his buddy along. Guy can’t figure out how to get the slide off the new gun, so his buddy pulls out his to show him how. Only he’s not really conversant with the procedure as well, and…. You know how this ends.

https://twitter.com/Scottcrates/status/ ... 76224?s=20
Bonus points for shooting his pal in the dick.

To be fair it looks to me like he took the clip out before messing with the second gun, but there must have still been "one in the chamber."

Anyway, good thing he was in a gun shop, so the man can replace his lost member with ease.
Which could qualify him for the exceedingly rare non-posthumous Darwin Award. :thumbsup:
Supreme Commander, Imperial Illuminati Air Force
:dog:

You don't have to consent, but I'm gonna tase you anyway.
raison de arizona

Gun Control

Dave from down under

Gun Control

Happy for that to go to court.

So long as the father is charged with negligent homicide at the very least.
neeneko

Gun Control

Post by neeneko »

Manufacturing and selling a pistol without a safety? I have mixed feelings on a lot of the ideas for suing gun manufacturers, but a product that dangerous is kinda beyond the pale.
sugar magnolia

Gun Control

Post by sugar magnolia »

neeneko wrote: Sat Jun 24, 2023 1:48 pm Manufacturing and selling a pistol without a safety? I have mixed feelings on a lot of the ideas for suing gun manufacturers, but a product that dangerous is kinda beyond the pale.
No manual safety. It has 2 internal safetys like almost all Glocks have.
neeneko

Gun Control

Post by neeneko »

sugar magnolia wrote: Sat Jun 24, 2023 2:24 pm No manual safety. It has 2 internal safetys like almost all Glocks have.
So i went and found the manual to try to understand exactly what this means. So it sounds like it has mechanisms that prevent it from accidentally discharging from being dropped or such, but the trigger is always live so as long as there is a bullet in the chamber interacting with the trigger will fire it. While such mechanisms are I guess technically 'safety' mechanisms, when I hear 'safety' on a firearm, I picture the switch that prevents touching the trigger from firing.

Which is what I pictured in that comment, the idea of firearms without a safety switch being sold strike me as recklessly dangerous.
Uninformed

Gun Control

Post by Uninformed »

Given the known functionality, what kind of idiot leaves a round chambered. :mad:
If you can't lie to yourself, who can you lie to?
Dave from down under

Gun Control

Uninformed wrote: Sat Jun 24, 2023 5:18 pm Given the known functionality, what kind of idiot leaves a round chambered. :mad:
The sort that doesn’t use a pair of gun safes

Return to “U.S. Culture and Media”