Spring forward.
To delete this message, click the X at top right.

Eurobot

Tell us about yourself. But only things you want us to know.
RTH10260
Verified: ✔️ Eurobot

Eurobot

Post by RTH10260 »

Yes, I survived the Great Meltdown ;)
Azastan
Verified:

Re: Eurobot

Post by Azastan »

Good job!
sad-cafe

Post by sad-cafe »

Hello,

Nice to meet you again.

Sad-Cafe
RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 »

A message to Washington Post readers, especially the TFB member (*) who recently received a months worth of free reading and it's going to expire.

Please PM me - I still have some freebies to give away.

(*) with the former TFB site gone, my memory is gone too - sorry - don't recall who it was.
RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 »

Apart, I may be visiting a bit less these days cause I found the keys to the TARDIS. I am using an editor from a former life. From when mainframe computers (IBM comes to mind) had an XEDIT editor. Win3.1, Win95, WinME etc had a third party character mode lookalike that I used until the various compiler producers offered integrated IDE tools. My KEditW was neglected since around 2004 (gleaned from documents in the backups). For a special purpose I remember its scripting capabilities as I usedthem extensively back then. I recently offered assistance in modernizing some software source code. Then I recalled this editor and sneaked away the keys to the TARDIS. Took me a moment to immerse myself back into the style of character mode editing, but the script I created so far looks promising. See you later !

Fun fact: the website of the editor producer is just still around and I managed to pick an update released in the years 2007 / 2012. Just as the owner has announced that he is winding down operations. From the email exchange I take it that he went into retirement around that time, so he matches well with our age group :D
raison de arizona
Verified: ✔️ he/him/his

Post by raison de arizona »

I wrote all my stuff for that in REXX, which translates well to KEX and they had REXX on PCs anyway. The legacy EXEC2 stuff had to be all redone though.
“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams
FiveAcres

Post by FiveAcres »

RTH10260 wrote: Fri Mar 05, 2021 6:41 am Apart, I may be visiting a bit less these days cause I found the keys to the TARDIS. I am using an editor from a former life. From when mainframe computers (IBM comes to mind) had an XEDIT editor. Win3.1, Win95, WinME etc had a third party character mode lookalike that I used until the various compiler producers offered integrated IDE tools. My KEditW was neglected since around 2004 (gleaned from documents in the backups). For a special purpose I remember its scripting capabilities as I usedthem extensively back then. I recently offered assistance in modernizing some software source code. Then I recalled this editor and sneaked away the keys to the TARDIS. Took me a moment to immerse myself back into the style of character mode editing, but the script I created so far looks promising. See you later !

Fun fact: the website of the editor producer is just still around and I managed to pick an update released in the years 2007 / 2012. Just as the owner has announced that he is winding down operations. From the email exchange I take it that he went into retirement around that time, so he matches well with our age group :D
I used Xedit and Rexx to program simple forms for people to fill out on 3270 terminals when I worked for IBM. Those were the days.
Avatar was a photo I took by Killary Fjord in 2005. Killary Fjord is in Northern Connemara, Ireland.
RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 »

FiveAcres wrote: Fri Mar 05, 2021 7:19 am
► Show Spoiler
I used Xedit and Rexx to program simple forms for people to fill out on 3270 terminals when I worked for IBM. Those were the days.
The scripting within my KEditW editor is a Rexx clone. The company had a spin-off that produced Personal REXX by a long defunct company named Quercus (also must have their interpreter somewhere in my electronic archives, the reference booklet lives on my desk at this very moment, copyright 1988-1991 :shock: ). While researching for the revival of my KEditW I did find that REXX continues its life on http://home.rexxla.org/ with a product at https://www.oorexx.org/.

ETA more time travel: http://www.edm2.com/index.php/Personal_REXX - mentions a terminal emulator. I faintly remember to have used that one too with MS DOS, actually must have been an incentive to chose the product.

ETA the 2nd: searching Google with terms "quercus rexx" pulls up a lot of memories :roll:

ETA 3rd - the Rabbit Hole - Dr.Dobbs https://www.drdobbs.com/
Dr. Dobb's Archive
By Andrew Binstock, January 11, 2015
On this site is archived all the content from Dr. Dobb's that was published on the Web through December 31, 2014.
(my sign-on still exists - just had to refresh password :o )
RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 »

Who said that the Internet never forgets ?

I have been following an UK "narrowboat" vlogger on Youtube for the better of the past five years. He recently went into hibernation cause too many similar channels made reporting from the ancient UK canal system no longer any fun. Something he mentioned made my look for the Norfolk Broads waterways again. My late mother (from England) had in the 1950s a friend in the Swiss expat community of the times. The family left Switzerland around 1960 back to England. The family started a leisure boat company on the Norfolk Broads with an own ship building yard. While their firm went out of business and was bought up by another company, their brand of "Brinkcraft" for their boats lives on to this day and references can be found on Google. Fun fact I learned: the waterways of the Norfolk Broads are a result from peat harvesting going back into mediveal times.
Tiredretiredlawyer
Verified: ✅🐴🐎🦄🌻5000 posts and counting

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer »

Eurobot is BACK and writing in some strange medieval computer code. :D
"Mickey Mouse and I grew up together." - Ruthie Tompson, Disney animation checker and scene planner and one of the first women to become a member of the International Photographers Union in 1952.
RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 »

a LUNAr test

► Show Spoiler
Foggy
Dick Tater
Verified: as seen on qvc zombie apocalypse

Post by Foggy »

That's a Salvador Dali, look at the eye.

You gotta get up PRETTY EARLY IN THE MORNING to fool the poor ol' rooster. :fingerwag:
Out from under. :thumbsup:
RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 »

Foggy wrote: Mon Feb 07, 2022 7:11 am That's a Salvador Dali, look at the eye.

You gotta get up PRETTY EARLY IN THE MORNING to fool the poor ol' rooster. :fingerwag:
Get up? Somebody ought to send me to bed! ;)
RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 »

PS. above LUNAr test was done for this tip on how to post a visibly small attachment of a original huge sized image.

There is a trick to present a smaller visible version:
(1) prepare post with attachment
(2) click preview
(3) in the preview right click on the image and chose Copy Image Address
(4) in place of the ATTACH tag pair insert a IMGWIDTH tag pair with a WIDTH= of your choice (400 thru 600 generally looks nice) and insert the image address retrieved in (3).
(5) move the attach tag pair with reference to the end of the post and embed into SPOILER pair of tags to hide them.
bill_g
Verified: ✅ Checked Republic ✓ ᵛᵉʳᶦᶠᶦᵉᵈ

Post by bill_g »

Interesting work around. I adjust them (resize) in Paint prior to upload.
Kendra

Post by Kendra »

RTH10260 wrote: Mon Feb 07, 2022 7:29 am PS. above LUNAr test was done for this tip on how to post a visibly small attachment of a original huge sized image.

There is a trick to present a smaller visible version:
(1) prepare post with attachment
(2) click preview
(3) in the preview right click on the image and chose Copy Image Address
(4) in place of the ATTACH tag pair insert a IMGWIDTH tag pair with a WIDTH= of your choice (400 thru 600 generally looks nice) and insert the image address retrieved in (3).
(5) move the attach tag pair with reference to the end of the post and embed into SPOILER pair of tags to hide them.
TY. Will try later when I get more pics uploaded to desktop. Not gonna screw with that on the tiny phone. :bag:
RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 »

Foggy wrote: Sat Aug 06, 2022 12:51 pm Oh yeah, that's a good thing. I can see IP addresses but I have sworn to use my sekrit powers only for good.

I can see every IP address you ever used, which became very interesting when, for example, GreatGrey was flying a 747 full of cargo all over the planet and racked up more IP addresses than Johnny had appleseeds.

:shock:
Edit: Eurobot has used almost 175 different IP addresses just since Fogbow Reborn, which may be influenced by him traveling to Thailand quite often. Do I have any need to know that? No, and it conflicts with my project on Noggin Clutter Reduction.

Ol' Wifehorn once tole me I know more useless information than anybody in the world. Yeah, but most of it is TRUE FACTS, so there. :taunt:
Actually I have not been back to the Land Of Smiles since the outbreak. They did not smile and had some ludicrous conditions in place for arriving travellers. First restricted to Thai nationals, later accepting foreign residents back that got caught outside of the country for upto 9 months. Initially 14 days quarantine, interpreted as 14 nights / 16 days. For foreigners that meant like $1500 extra cost. Slightly relaxing after vaccines became available. But until May of this year had limiting entry conditions that put off most tourists. Then they started relaxing conditions in May in increments, then on July 1 dropped everything to rescue the summer tourist season.

As for the collection of IP addresses, all aquired sitting in the lounge chair at home. I hate that Youtube feeds me the same few stupid ads for their Swiss targets. "Going foreign" with a VPN provider gives some change in the ads, all depending the exit point i use, all in Europe. Some in France, Luxembourg, Denmark, Ireland, Belgium. Ads become tolerable when I don't understand what is spoken :biggrin: Fun fact: Youtube geo-detection is flawed: select France-Marseille and I get served India-Hindu stuff partially in English, select France-Bordeaux and I get North African Marroco targets at times :blackeye: Occaisonally I need the VPN to place me in the US. Several news outlets block off European visitors due to the long-arm GDPR regulations of the EU, eg privacy rights.
Foggy
Dick Tater

Post by Foggy »

:biggrin:

It isn't like it puts a load on the database or server. IP addresses are simple text, short and easy. It's totally cool to sit in one room and travel the globe.

8-)
northland10
Verified: ✅ I'm me.

Post by northland10 »

And it can get Rharon all hot and bothered.
101010 :towel:
RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 »

Notification:
change of seating and IP address. Now train station Lucerne (Switzerland)

:crying: cannot upload touristy photo - too large for forum
:crying: just proof that i am not taking the Capitol in storm :twisted:
Foggy
Dick Tater

Post by Foggy »

... we need to know this ...
RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 »

RTH10260 wrote: Thu Aug 11, 2022 5:11 am Notification:
change of seating and IP address. Now train station Lucerne (Switzerland)

:crying: cannot upload touristy photo - too large for forum
:crying: just proof that i am not taking the Capitol in storm :twisted:

Supplement:
20220811_110644.jpg
20220811_110644.jpg (204.5 KiB) Viewed 1446 times
Foggy
Dick Tater

Post by Foggy »

Oh man, that's cool. 8-)
RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 »

Small section shown, there are like ten platforms / rail tracks in the terminal. Lucerne is a major railroad hub.

see https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lucerne_railway_station

The arc is all that remains from the original station building. It burnt down in 1971, a major incident. Some pics of the original building in Wiki article, likn above.

Return to “Introduce Yourself”