Spring forward.
To delete this message, click the X at top right.

Slim Cognito

Tell us about yourself. But only things you want us to know.
Phoenix520
Verified:

Re: Slim Cognito

Post by Phoenix520 »

Luck!
Sunrise

Re: Slim, the first one

Post by Sunrise »

Uninformed wrote: Thu Apr 01, 2021 1:46 pm Hoping the results are better than you could imagine. Good luck.
:yeahthat: and also, too, fingers crossed 🤞🏻
Slim Cognito
Verified:

Post by Slim Cognito »

Some news on the geneology front:

As I've posted before, I was adopted at two weeks. I hit the lottery on my adoptive family. Everyone is wonderful, the immediate family, the extended family, step-siblings, everyone.

My (adopted-family) cousin is big into genealogy and is really good at research (no surprise, her dad was literally a rocket scientist for NASA). She talked me into doing an Ancestry test and I made her my surrogate since it's all over my head. She's given me some good information about my birth mother, possibly my birth father and half siblings, but that's not the most interesting part. The most interesting part is: She's also my biological cousin. Her great grandmother to the fifth power was also my great grandmother to the fourth power. GGGG grams married twice, I was descended from the first husband and my cousin from the second husband. How crazy is that???

And don't harsh my mellow by telling me if you go back far enough, we're all related. Ya gotta admit this is kinda cool.
Pup Dennis in training to be a guide dog & given to a deserving vet. Thx! ImageImageImage x4
Uninformed

Post by Uninformed »

You found a good family, and now you’ve found you were already part of it. Amazing. :thumbsup:
If you can't lie to yourself, who can you lie to?
Kendra

Post by Kendra »

Very cool. Congrats.
Tiredretiredlawyer
Verified: ✅🐴🐎🦄🌻5000 posts and counting

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer »

WOW!!!!!!
What are the odds of that?
"Mickey Mouse and I grew up together." - Ruthie Tompson, Disney animation checker and scene planner and one of the first women to become a member of the International Photographers Union in 1952.
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

Really cool!
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
Phoenix520
Verified:

Post by Phoenix520 »

How cool, Slim! Are you and your cousin planning to trace further to see how many times paths crossed over the generations? There’s an epic novel in there somewhere... :biggrin:
Slim Cognito
Verified:

Post by Slim Cognito »

She prolly will. She’s a boss when it comes to genealogy. We’re planning a meet up in Philly this fall so she can explain it all, virus willing.
Pup Dennis in training to be a guide dog & given to a deserving vet. Thx! ImageImageImage x4
Slim Cognito
Verified:

Post by Slim Cognito »

Another quick update: After freaking out about actually being biologically related to my cousin (thru my adoption) I finally thought to ask her if that great4grandmother was on her mother's/my father's side) or her father's side. She told me it was her mother/my father's side. That means I'm biologically related to my adoptive father and brother* (my youngest brother was a change-of-life baby after they'd given up ever having one the usual way. Older bro was also adopted but he found his birth parents many years back.)

Freak-out recommencing.

Mom told us, back in the day when there were plenty of babies, they tried to match ethnicities. My father's family was Scottish. My DNA test showed a decent amount of Scottish blood, from the Edinburgh area, which is also where my father's family came from.

It really IS a small world.

I told Hubs I wanted to plan a trip to Edinburgh in the summer of 2022. But with all these new variant scare stories and travel warnings, who knows if I'll ever make it.

*Wait! Does that make him my brother-cousin? That doesn't sound good.
Tiredretiredlawyer
Verified: ✅🐴🐎🦄🌻5000 posts and counting

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer »

In Arkansas, a brother-cousin is norma!l..... :biggrin:
"Mickey Mouse and I grew up together." - Ruthie Tompson, Disney animation checker and scene planner and one of the first women to become a member of the International Photographers Union in 1952.
Kendra

Post by Kendra »

Slim Cognito wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 10:17 am Another quick update: After freaking out about actually being biologically related to my cousin (thru my adoption) I finally thought to ask her if that great4grandmother was on her mother's/my father's side) or her father's side. She told me it was her mother/my father's side. That means I'm biologically related to my adoptive father and brother* (my youngest brother was a change-of-life baby after they'd given up ever having one the usual way. Older bro was also adopted but he found his birth parents many years back.)

Freak-out recommencing.

Mom told us, back in the day when there were plenty of babies, they tried to match ethnicities. My father's family was Scottish. My DNA test showed a decent amount of Scottish blood, from the Edinburgh area, which is also where my father's family came from.

It really IS a small world.

I told Hubs I wanted to plan a trip to Edinburgh in the summer of 2022. But with all these new variant scare stories and travel warnings, who knows if I'll ever make it.

I guess if you can't go there in person, there's always the first season or two of Outlander :thumbsup: :bighug:
Azastan
Verified:

Post by Azastan »

Slim Cognito wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 10:17 am

As far as I know, there's no Scottish ancestors in my background, but my beloved has decided that I need a vacation (extremely difficult to do since it means arranging for someone to take care of the horses) and is sending me to Scotland in 2022.
sugar magnolia

Post by sugar magnolia »

Slim Cognito wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 10:17 am arents many years back.)

My great aunt is her own half-sister.

Her dad Tom married Mary. Tom then got Mary's sister Susan pregnant. Tom and Mary legally adopted baby Jane. Tom then killed Mary and married Susan. Susan promptly adopted baby Jane.

My aunt baby Jane was fucked up her whole life but nobody knew why until she was in her 50s and found a photo of Mary in the attic and one of the relatives told her the story. She is the second most irritating relative I have.

*Not their real names of course.
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

Slim and Azastan--

:thumbsup:
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
Estiveo
Verified:

Post by Estiveo »

Y'all are so southern you're related to yourself.
Image Image Image Image
Phoenix520
Verified:

Post by Phoenix520 »

Why didn’t Tom go to jail?
FiveAcres

Post by FiveAcres »

Azastan wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 10:41 am

As far as I know, there's no Scottish ancestors in my background, but my beloved has decided that I need a vacation (extremely difficult to do since it means arranging for someone to take care of the horses) and is sending me to Scotland in 2022.
I know you are somewhat involved with an Arabian rescue: could they recommend someone? I was fairly fortunate that I know people who did critter sitting that I could trust with my horses. One time I had to send the horses to a friend with a boarding barn because my critter sitter at the time was still recovering from orthopedic surgery, and I didn't feel it would safe for her to be around horses, even my relatively well-behaved old guys.
Avatar was a photo I took by Killary Fjord in 2005. Killary Fjord is in Northern Connemara, Ireland.
sugar magnolia

Post by sugar magnolia »

Kate520 wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 10:55 am Why didn’t Tom go to jail?
He was never charged for some reason. He poisoned her then threw her in the river so maybe there was no proof? Not that "she needed killing" wasn't a perfectly acceptable defense in Cajun country Mississippi in the 30s. They never arrested his brother for moonshining either, even after the shoot out by armed robbers that resulted in a deputy getting shot.

When he was in his 80s and widowed, he moved to New Orleans and married a French woman and they lived in the Quarter. She got in a fight with a young guy one day for taking her parking space in front of the building so she whipped a jeweled dagger out from her bosom and stabbed him. She didn't get arrested either but the police confiscated the dagger and later found that it had been stolen during a jewel heist from some royal family. He was a recognized authority on Edgar Cayce and people came from all over the world to talk to him about his research. When he died in his 90s, it took us days and days to haul out all the boxes of Edgar Cayce papers and articles he had. His niece became a leading authority on Bronies and traveled the world going to psychology conventions to talk about them.

These aren't even the most interesting people in my family.
Slim Cognito
Verified:

Post by Slim Cognito »

I'll keep fingers crossed for all of us. We're going to do the underground and the castle, natch. Then hop on the bus and travel an hour south to sleep in a castle. Then hop on the train and head to Prestwick which has an air base my father stopped at during his time in the Army Air Corp. At the local pub, when they found out his name, they said he should move back home. He said he couldn't but he'd try to visit again. He never made it back so my plan was to do it for him. I'm still trying to find any pubs still open that were open in Prestwick during the war. If anyone has ideas how to better do that, let me know. I'm striking out.
sugar magnolia

Post by sugar magnolia »

Slim Cognito wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 11:28 am

I'll keep fingers crossed for all of us. We're going to do the underground and the castle, natch. Then hop on the bus and travel an hour south to sleep in a castle. Then hop on the train and head to Prestwick which has an air base my father stopped at during his time in the Army Air Corp. At the local pub, when they found out his name, they said he should move back home. He said he couldn't but he'd try to visit again. He never made it back so my plan was to do it for him. I'm still trying to find any pubs still open that were open in Prestwick during the war. If anyone has ideas how to better do that, let me know. I'm striking out.
Local tourism or historical societies? Even a local facebook group might be able to help.
Azastan
Verified:

Post by Azastan »

FiveAcres wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 10:57 am
I know you are somewhat involved with an Arabian rescue: could they recommend someone? I was fairly fortunate that I know people who did critter sitting that I could trust with my horses. One time I had to send the horses to a friend with a boarding barn because my critter sitter at the time was still recovering from orthopedic surgery, and I didn't feel it would safe for her to be around horses, even my relatively well-behaved old guys.
Unfortunately, I *AM* the person who gets recommended LOL. I do a lot of house- and farm-sitting for people who need someone experienced with senior horses, Arabians, stallions, pregnant mares, dogs, cats, camelids, goats, pigs, snakes, and 'pocket pets'. I have a client who has 12 regular horses (of which only two are NOT Arabians), a(n Arabian) stallion, two mini horses, two Rhodesian Ridgebacks, a cat, a betta, a Syrian hamster, and a leopard gecko!
Slim Cognito wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 11:28 am
I'd look to see if there's a genealogy group for Prestwick or the surrounding area on FB and ask there. Trust me, genealogists know this stuff.
tek

Post by tek »

Off Topic

I spent a fair amount of time (for work) in the town of Ayr and surroundings, which is right near Prestwick.

One of my three-week stints saw me put up at the Marine Hotel at Royal Troon.. very nice scenery to/from the plant, when it wasn't raining (well, TBH, even when it was)

Just before I started doing that trip they essentially ended passenger service to Prestwick, so I had to fly into Glasgow.
My first impression of Scotland was entering a roundabout getting out of Glasgow airport, in a standard-shift motorized toasteroven with the steering wheel on the wrong side, in the rain.
Lani

Post by Lani »

Estiveo wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 10:50 am Y'all are so southern you're related to yourself.
Yep. I'm half southern. Every time I hear something about a person with ancestors on Eastern Shore, I know we're related. (E.g Gov. Northam, from the 1800's, so his family was late to the Shore, but still looks like a relative.) My close relatives were very inbred, short, with an English-Southern accent. Also a hell of a lot of fun. I loved my summer visits on their farms/plantations, milking cows, gathering eggs, picking apples, clipping roses, etc.

I spent a lot of time with my great aunt who was a published author on early Virginia history and encouraged me to pursue my dreams. Family members were sad that she had "educated herself out of being marriage material" and only had her friend for companionship. By the time I was teenager, I knew she wasn't alone. She lived with the person who was the love of her life. I wish I could remember the name of her lifetime companion.

... After I wrote this, I googled her for the first time. "Like many other professional women of her generation, she never married." "She received a master's degree from Columbia University in 1926 and a doctorate in history in 1940 with a published dissertation entitled Studies of the Virginia Eastern Shore in the Seventeenth Century. One of only a small number of women with a doctorate in history at that time...." "A small number" was less than 500 women at that time. Now I know why I loved her so much.
Image You can't wait until life isn't hard anymore before you decide to be happy.
Slim Cognito
Verified:

Post by Slim Cognito »

Lani, that is so cooooool!

Return to “Introduce Yourself”