Spring forward.
To delete this message, click the X at top right.

Meanwhile on the North Fork...........

Tell us about yourself. But only things you want us to know.
Volkonski
Verified:

Re: Meanwhile on the North Fork...........

Post by Volkonski »

Another perfect NF weather day. No lawnmowers. Just the sound of the full size garbage truck making the rounds on the paved streets outside the Circle.

The small truck did our Circle while I was at physical therapy.

When my legs recover from the PT I will go get the trash can and put it away. ;) Anyone else have big plans for today?
“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.” ― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.” ― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

What I have noticed is that help wanted signs which always go up after Labor Day when the college students go back to school have been up since we arrived in the spring.

Our lawn service used to send a crew of 3 guys. This year they have been sending 2. Last week they sent 1 guy.

Some restaurants and farm stands that were always open 7 days a week this year have cut back to 4 or 5 days.
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

Our SIL the lawyer has finished his defense. It is up to jury now.

Strange to see his photo in the news. His usual cases don't get any press coverage.
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

SIL lost the case. His client going to prison. Jury was out less than an hour.
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

Just picked up Mrs. V from the Jitney stop.

She went into Manhattan to meet with her sister and drop her best flute off at the NY Flute Center for an overhaul.

Flutes need a lot of maintenance.
Frater I*I
Verified: ✅Verified Devilish Hyena

Post by Frater I*I »

Volkonski wrote: Thu Sep 16, 2021 9:55 pm Just picked up Mrs. V from the Jitney stop.

She went into Manhattan to meet with her sister and drop her best flute off at the NY Flute Center for an overhaul.

Flutes need a lot of maintenance.
Learn something new everyday.... ;)
"He sewed his eyes shut because he is afraid to see, He tries to tell me what I put inside of me
He's got the answers to ease my curiosity, He dreamed a god up and called it Christianity"

Trent Reznor
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

A gray rainy day on the North Fork.

We just picked up the CSA share. Lots of great organic veggies.

We gave the watermelon and potatoes to Mrs. V's cousin who lives on the Circle. Plenty of low carb stuff left for us. :thumbsup:
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

The people who monitor the state of the Peconic Bay's scallop beds have issued a status update. It is bad.

Once again the scallop harvest will be a bust. This is about 5 seasons in a row.

The problem is disease.

Some of the finned fish species are doing well. Oysters are doing OK.

But local lobsters, soft shell clams and scallops may be a thing of the past. :(

Lobsters and soft shell clams can still be found in northern New England, if you can afford them, but Peconic Bay scallops, the pearls of the Peconic, are unique to the Peconic Bay.

Our North Fork hamlet was once the center of Peconic Bay scallop harvesting.

Mrs. V's mother used to tell us about piles of scallop shells taller than the scallop houses where they were shelled.

Now all the scallop houses have been converted to summer cottages.
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

Sea scallops from out in the north Atlantic are still in good supply but it is not the same.
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

Yeah, I've had lobster from places other than New England and crabs other than Maryland blue, but they are not the same. In comparison, others are mostly just okay. I remember the first time I ordered king crab. What a disappointment.
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
Estiveo
Verified:

Post by Estiveo »

I come from the land of Dungeness crab. Maryland blues are better.
Image Image Image Image
FiveAcres

Post by FiveAcres »

Maryland Blue Crab, yes! Spoils you for any other type of crab.

Alaska doesn't allow large scale fishery of scallops any more, from what I understand. They are some fisherman who do fishing to supply locals. When I visited my sister-in-law in Homer a few years back, she served scallops one night. She explained that the locals put their names on a list, and then meet the boat at the dock. Best damn scallops in my entire life.
Avatar was a photo I took by Killary Fjord in 2005. Killary Fjord is in Northern Connemara, Ireland.
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

There is a loud outdoor party with live music going on a little bit to the west of us. Most unusual this late in the season.

Well, they picked a good evening for it. The weather is fine.

Wish they'd hired better musicians. ;)
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

The weather was perfect this week. Now traffic is backed up on both roads that lead off of the North Fork.
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

The roadways have cleared. I hear very few vehicles on the Main Rd.

The aircraft of the 1%ers are no longer overhead.

The evening is peaceful. :biggrin:
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

A beautiful guiet Monday on the North Fork.

Went out to the flower stands. Got 5 big mums and 1 big pumpkin. :biggrin:

Yesterday we went over to the South Fork to meet up with one of Mrs. V's friend from her grade school days. The friend has a showing of her paintings at the old watermill in Watermill. The we all went to Main Street in Southampton.

The South Fork is a different world from the North Fork. Richer people. Fancier restaurants and boutiques. People walking the streets dressed as if for a fashion magazine photo shoot. ;)
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

The last full day of summer.

As if on cue clouds are moving in and the rest of the week is forecast to be cooler and wetter.

Today the utility trucks replacing poles on Main Road are in our hamlet right in front of the popular breakfast restaurant across from the 1731 Meeting House. Almost made me late for physical therapy.

As if people were grasping on to the last day of summer there were more joggers and bicyclists out this morning than anytime since Labor Day. ;)
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

Time capsule hidden in church steeple provides glimpse into its past

https://riverheadlocal.com/2021/09/22/t ... -its-past/
A time capsule found in the steeple of an Aquebogue church during renovations last month provided the congregation with a peek into the past when it was opened after Sunday’s worship service this week.

:snippity:

The steeple was built in 1939 to replace one that was destroyed by the 1938 hurricane. It was restored in 1978 to repair and replace decaying wood.

It was a mystery whether the contents of the capsule dated back to its installation in 1939 or the renovation in 1978. It turns out that the capsule contained documents from both. The contents were a subject of much speculation among Old Steeple congregants for a month. The wood box looked old and it was heavy.

:snippity:

He opened the box’s hinged lid to reveal items dating back more than 80 years. Among them: receipts from Harold Reeve and Sons construction company, based in Mattituck, which worked on the steeple in both 1939 and 1978. One document is a list of the men who worked on the steeple’s installation in 1939, while another is a receipt dated Dec. 1, 1977, when the church hired the company to do the renovations, which cost $7,200.80.
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

FedEx just delivered Mrs. V's flute. Dents removed. Pads and keys fixed. Bright and shiny. :biggrin:
Tiredretiredlawyer
Verified: ✅🐴🐎🦄🌻5000 posts and counting

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer »

:biggrin:
"Mickey Mouse and I grew up together." - Ruthie Tompson, Disney animation checker and scene planner and one of the first women to become a member of the International Photographers Union in 1952.
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

Yesterday as she heeded out the door to go water her traveling cousin's plants Mrs. V suggested I go take a walk.

So I got my heavy wooden cane and headed up the hill in front of the cottage.

By the time I got to the top I began to feel a bit woozy. I made it to the utility pole directly in front of our property and grabbed on. I figured that I would wait for Mrs. V to return and help me down the hill.

After a few minutes the veterinarian who lives on the Circle (who used to be an EMT) saw me and came over to check me out. He got my walker and I tried to head down the hill but was too afraid of falling. So he got two chairs from our patio. When Mrs. V got back they got me into the car and took me down to the cottage managing to get me into a chair.

After some Gatorade and water I began to feel normal. By evening I was fine.

Might just have gotten a little dehydrated.

I do think I have developed a bit of a fear of falling which doesn't help.
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

? :confuzzled:
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

That must have been a little scary! :bighug:
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

Yes. We are thinking that we should get a better walker. One with a seat and brakes.

Return to “Introduce Yourself”