George Santos (R-NY) and his imaginative (but dishonest) résumé

Trying to make sense of a crazy world, with limited success mostly
Kendra

Post by Kendra »

https://www.cnbc.com/2023/01/09/george- ... r=sharebar
A member of George Santos’ political team had a plan to raise money for the Republican congressman’s campaign: Impersonate the chief of staff of now House Speaker Kevin McCarthy.

Wealthy donors received calls and emails from a man who said he was Dan Meyer, McCarthy’s chief of staff, during the 2020 and 2022 election cycles, according to people familiar with the matter. His name was actually Sam Miele, and he worked for Santos raising money for his campaign, according to one GOP donor who contributed to Santos’ campaign. This financier and some others in this story declined to be named in order to speak freely about private discussions.

The impersonation of the top House Republican’s chief of staff adds to an emerging picture of a winning congressional campaign propelled by fabrications and questionable tactics. Santos now finds himself in the sights of investigators and in danger of losing his political career even after he’s been sworn into office. In raising money for his campaign, Santos fed donors the same falsehoods he gave voters, campaign fundraisers and others say.
Tiredretiredlawyer
Verified: ✅🐴🐎🦄🌻5000 posts and counting

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer »

Clever, until you get caught.
"Mickey Mouse and I grew up together." - Ruthie Tompson, Disney animation checker and scene planner and one of the first women to become a member of the International Photographers Union in 1952.
humblescribe
Verified:

Post by humblescribe »

So, with all his deceit, lies, and fraud, will he serve his full two-year term?

Will he resign under pressure? Will he be banished from committees and told to stay away except to vote? Will the soon-to-be weakened Ethics Committee take up an investigation?

My answers are yes to the first, and no to the rest.

If he does manage to survive, will he run for reelection in '24?

Edited to add that McCarthy cannot afford to lose a sitting member with such a slim majority. It is pretty much assured that a special election to elect someone to fulfill the remaining term will be a Democrat. And if a Republican or two dies in office or quits to take over Truth Social, that could make the Republican majority into one seat.
"Some cause happiness wherever they go; others whenever they go." O. Wilde
Suranis

Post by Suranis »

You know, I think I may have realized why this guy flew under the radar. The Media were having a complete circus about the Walker lies and deceit. Anything else would have spoiled their fun, narrative, and might have given the impression that Republicans were a bunch of lying shits. So the Media would have had to find a Democrat that was lying about everything too before, they would report on this story of a guy making everything up...

Besides, the red wave was going to swallow up the house, so who cares about what was going on there, right? Right?
Hic sunt dracones
Kendra

Post by Kendra »

NEW: Caught up w/ George Santos before the House passed a new package that will gut the Office of Congressional Ethics. He had high praise for it.

"I think it's fantastic," he said.

"It's a good thing for transparency, it's a good thing for Americans."
RTH10260
Verified: ✔️ Eurobot

Post by RTH10260 »

Obviously he has no knowlege of his job description :(
keith
Occupation: Retired Computer Systems Analyst Project Manager Super Coder
Verified: ✅lunatic

Post by keith »

humblescribe wrote: Mon Jan 09, 2023 3:26 pm So, with all his deceit, lies, and fraud, will he serve his full two-year term?

Will he resign under pressure? Will he be banished from committees and told to stay away except to vote? Will the soon-to-be weakened Ethics Committee take up an investigation?

My answers are yes to the first, and no to the rest.

If he does manage to survive, will he run for reelection in '24?

Edited to add that McCarthy cannot afford to lose a sitting member with such a slim majority. It is pretty much assured that a special election to elect someone to fulfill the remaining term will be a Democrat. And if a Republican or two dies in office or quits to take over Truth Social, that could make the Republican majority into one seat.
You kidding me?. Santos is gonna get Ethics Committee Chairman!
Has everybody heard about the bird?
Kendra

Post by Kendra »

George Santos, by his own admission, is an outright fraud. The House has an obligation to police itself and maintain the integrity of the institution.

Today’s Ethics Committee complaint that I filed along with
@RepRitchie
is the first step to holding George Santos accountable.
Kendra

Post by Kendra »

RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 »

:confuzzled: must be a VIP scammer politician :blackeye:
Suranis

Post by Suranis »

Trump will be screaming that they are not in Marry Lardo covering his golf game and Presidential Campaign Dessert.
Hic sunt dracones
RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 »

Disgraced Rep. George Santos Has Somehow Found People Willing to Work for Him

Susan Rinkunas
Mon, January 9, 2023 at 6:05 PM GMT+1

Last week, amid photos showing pathological liar George Santos (R-NY) sitting alone on the House Floor and an accidental (?) press release saying he’d be sworn in when it hadn’t happened yet, many of us wondered who, exactly, would be willing to work for this man. Well: It turns out there are several ultra-right-wing shitheads who are more than happy to sacrifice any dignity they may have had by joining this man’s congressional staff.

According to the Newsday, Santos hired “fixer” Viswanag Burra, a former aide to Steve Bannon and producer of Bannon’s “War Room” podcast. Burra is also the executive secretary of the New York Young Republicans club, which drew headlines for its president saying at a recent gala that he wanted “total war” and pledged to “do battle...in the streets.”

Santos has already said that he won’t run for reelection in 2024, and Burra was reportedly brought in to assist with “[Santos’] ongoing effort to serve a full, two-year term,” per the New York Post. The Post reported on Friday that Rep. and alleged sex trafficker Matt Gaetz (R-FL) recommended Burra for the job. Just sterling credentials.

Santos also hired New York businessman and failed Republican Congressional candidate Carl Paladino, who made news for praising Adolf Hitler and for suggesting that the mass shooting at a Buffalo, New York, grocery store was a false flag operation. Burra also served as a spokesman for Paladino’s campaign.

But perhaps the worst job of all on Team Santos is communications director, the person responsible for fielding media requests for comment about his many lies. That person, according to a press release I received early on Saturday, is Naysa Woomer. Here is the statement about Santos being sworn in, for the morbidly curious:
“I am committed to serving the people of New York’s 3rd Congressional District and finding solutions to solve tough problems. The work begins today, and I am determined to work with both Republicans and Democrats and support sound policy that will provide funding for local law enforcement, and reducing inflation,” said Congressman Santos.

“Now is the time to put political differences aside, stop the finger pointing, and start delivering results. The work of Congress is not about my personal life, this is about delivering results for my constituents, finding bipartisan solutions, and reversing abysmal policies that have caused some of the worst inflation and crime in our nation’s history.”
So who wrote—or at least approved—the line “the work of Congress is not abut my personal life”?

https://www.yahoo.com/news/disgraced-re ... 00462.html
(original: Jezebel)
raison de arizona
Verified: ✔️ he/him/his

Post by raison de arizona »

The Republican Accountability Project @AccountableGOP wrote: Nassau County GOP calls for George Santos to resign.
“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams
Kendra

Post by Kendra »

Now, House Republicans who refuse to denounce, condemn, discipline or remove George Santos will begin impeachment hearings on Biden and half his Cabinet.
raison de arizona

"I am not a crook! I am just crook-ish!"
George Santos @Santos4Congress wrote: I was elected to serve the people of #NY03 not the party & politicians, I remain committed to doing that and regret to hear that local officials refuse to work with my office to deliver results to keep our community safe and lower the cost of living.

I will NOT resign!
“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams
raison de arizona

He resigned. I assume this is a parody, btw. :lol:
https://www.congressmansantos.com/
Here is his real site: https://georgeforny.com/
noblepa

Post by noblepa »

The Republican Accountability Project @AccountableGOP wrote: Nassau County GOP calls for George Santos to resign.
Wow! A republican that appears to have both a spine and a sense of ethics. Nassau county is Santos' district, isn't it?

Unfortunately, the local party is not in a position to do anything about it.

This is the first clear, unequivocal call for Santos to resign, that I have heard coming from a republican.

Santos has already said that he does not plan to run for re-election in 2024. He seems perfectly willing to accept the $350,000 that he will be paid as a member of the House for the next two years. At least he won't qualify for a government pension.

Maybe that's it. Maybe he believes the internet meme that one term congressmen receive their full salary for the rest of their lives. Congressional pensions are like any other. One must serve five years to be vested and receive a pension benefit. If he follows through and does not run in 2024 (that might be the first time he ever told the truth), he would, at most, get any contribution that he made to his pension, as a lump sum refund, but he would not be entitled to any contributions that the government made.
bob

Post by bob »

Image ImageImage
Kendra

Post by Kendra »

Interesting theory :think:
Dr. Ken

Post by Dr. Ken »

ImageImagePhilly Boondoggle
Kendra

Post by Kendra »

OAN reports today that the “left-wing media” is unfairly targeting George Santos with “wild stories and accusations,” but he has just hired the former producer of Steve Bannon’s show to help him fight back.
p0rtia

Post by p0rtia »

Screen Shot 2023-01-11 at 5.28.02 PM.png
Screen Shot 2023-01-11 at 5.28.02 PM.png (117.36 KiB) Viewed 541 times
https://www.politico.com/news/2023/01/1 ... n-00077450

:faint:
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

Pathological liar. They don't know when to shut up, and they lie when the truth would serve them better. I have known two of them personally, and it's not fun. Generally, I learned to keep my distance. Haven't had to deal with either of them for many years.
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
keith
Occupation: Retired Computer Systems Analyst Project Manager Super Coder
Verified: ✅lunatic

Post by keith »

bob wrote: Wed Jan 11, 2023 5:11 pm
Yeahbut, Springtime For Santos has the right numberof syllables, Springtome For Trump doesnt
Has everybody heard about the bird?
Suranis

Post by Suranis »

I'm still standing my my theory that covering 2 pathological liars on the Republican side was too much for the Media delicate Fee Fees to handle.

I wonder if there are more pathological liars with fake resumes that Editors are refusing to cover because Both Sides and republicans are the party of Personal responsibility. (I'm lying. I am assuming there are)
Hic sunt dracones

Return to “Current Politics”