Hijack This Thread

Maybenaut
Verified: ✅✅

Re: Hijack This Thread

Post by Maybenaut »

bill_g wrote: Sat Jul 09, 2022 11:05 am
Shizzle Popped wrote: Fri Jul 08, 2022 9:56 pm My Outback is #15 on that list. Luckily, it rarely sits outside for any length of time.
My truck is #56. All the top ten have high chassis making it easier to crawl under.

The NBC News story with list
My Honda Pilot is 20 on the list. My husband's Honda Ridgeline (the *exact same vehicle* in truck form) isn't on the list at all.
"Hey! We left this England place because it was bogus, and if we don't get some cool rules ourselves, pronto, we'll just be bogus too!" -- Thomas Jefferson
Shizzle Popped
Verified:

Post by Shizzle Popped »

Maybenaut wrote: Sat Jul 09, 2022 7:26 pm
Shizzle Popped wrote: Fri Jul 08, 2022 9:56 pm My Outback is #15 on that list. Luckily, it rarely sits outside for any length of time.
My truck is #56. All the top ten have high chassis making it easier to crawl under.

My Honda Pilot is 20 on the list. My husband's Honda Ridgeline (the *exact same vehicle* in truck form) isn't on the list at all.
That's because they only make about 30k of them a year.
"Let us tenderly and kindly cherish, therefore, the means of knowledge. Let us dare to read, think, speak, and write."
John Adams
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.” ― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace
neonzx
Verified: 🤩✅✅✅✅✅🤩

Post by neonzx »

:P

RTH10260
Verified: ✔️ Eurobot

Post by RTH10260 »

In a far distant time when Switzerland was dozing a tranquil post-war life, many cantons (aka US state) had laws on their books to protect citizen from disturbing noises disturbing their midday rest, like between 11am and 3pm performing work outside in the garden.

Solution when your neighbour complained about mowing the lawn too early: contract the gardener, he is a business and he gets to work as of 1pm :blackeye:
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.” ― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace
Danraft

Post by Danraft »

On my Twitter feed… NYT survey
In a sign of deep vulnerability and of unease among what is supposed to be his political base, only 26 percent of Democratic voters said the party should renominate him in 2024.

Mr. Biden has said repeatedly that he intends to run for re-election in 2024. At 79, he is already the oldest president in American history, and concerns about his age ranked at the top of the list for Democratic voters who want the party to find an alternative.

The backlash against Mr. Biden and desire to move in a new direction were particularly acute among younger voters. In the survey, 94 percent of Democrats under the age of 30 said they would prefer a different presidential nominee.
The article does discuss varied concerns…
raison de arizona
Verified: ✔️ he/him/his

Post by raison de arizona »

I, for one, am sick of old white men running our country. And frankly, that includes Biden. I would go for Warren, however, she's old but she's got plans! But I'd really like to get some younger blood in there, like Buttigieg. Someone under 60 at least.
“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams
Tiredretiredlawyer
Verified: ✅🐴🐎🦄🌻5000 posts and counting

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer »

Age doesn't matter to me. Look at Nancy Pelosi. She is a wonder at 82!
"Mickey Mouse and I grew up together." - Ruthie Tompson, Disney animation checker and scene planner and one of the first women to become a member of the International Photographers Union in 1952.
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

raison de arizona

Kinda a bogus way to deal with unlivable teacher salaries, but hey, if it works :thumbsup:
“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

Teacher salaries have to be paid with cash currently in the school district bank account.

Apartment buildings can be built with money from bond issues that get paid off over several years.

Tying employment to the employee's residence also helps to reduce turnover. That's why there were so many company towns during the late 19th century.
raison de arizona

Volkonski wrote: Fri Jul 15, 2022 12:47 pm Teacher salaries have to be paid with cash currently in the school district bank account.

Apartment buildings can be built with money from bond issues that get paid off over several years.

Tying employment to the employee's residence also helps to reduce turnover. That's why there were so many company towns during the late 19th century.
I get it, I just wish there was a way we could pay teachers their true worth and allow them free agency without tying them to a company town. But this is far better than nothing for sure.
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

Took them long enough.
Sequoia32
Verified:

Post by Sequoia32 »

I’ve driven a Prius since 2003. About 3 years ago the CC was stollen right in our driveway with motion activated floodlights (Just made it easier for them to see…) and cameras. Took them less tan 4 minutes. I had the dealer install a steel plate after that.

So what good does it do to engrave anything on the CC?

Months or years later the police find your CC and what? Return it to you? You’ve already repaired or replaced the car.

Old, decrepit minds want to know…
bill_g
Verified: ✅ Checked Republic ✓ ᵛᵉʳᶦᶠᶦᵉᵈ

Post by bill_g »

Sequoia32 wrote: Fri Jul 15, 2022 9:53 pm
I’ve driven a Prius since 2003. About 3 years ago the CC was stollen right in our driveway with motion activated floodlights (Just made it easier for them to see…) and cameras. Took them less tan 4 minutes. I had the dealer install a steel plate after that.

https: //youtu.be/GCuVUE5dh_w

Months or years later the police find your CC and what? Return it to you? You’ve already repaired or replaced the car.

Daaaahmn. That was bold, and hardly a sound.
keith
Occupation: Retired Computer Systems Analyst Project Manager Super Coder
Verified: ✅lunatic

Post by keith »

raison de arizona wrote: Fri Jul 15, 2022 12:33 pm
Kinda a bogus way to deal with unlivable teacher salaries, but hey, if it works :thumbsup:
Oh boy. I'm getting the shakes just thinking about the parties that are gonna go on with all those wild teachers all boxed up like that.
Has everybody heard about the bird?
keith
Occupation: Retired Computer Systems Analyst Project Manager Super Coder
Verified: ✅lunatic

Post by keith »

Sequoia32 wrote: Fri Jul 15, 2022 9:53 pm

So how come the car alarm didn't go off?

Oh, my mistake, I forgot car alarms only go off when there is no actual alarm and it can annoy the most number of innocent sleepers.
Has everybody heard about the bird?
raison de arizona

Sequoia32 wrote: Fri Jul 15, 2022 9:53 pm So what good does it do to engrave anything on the CC?

Our local PD encourages CC engraving because no yards will buy CCs with an engraved VIN, which makes it way harder for the thieves to convert the CCs to cash. The idea being that they will skip your car and move on. Does it work? :shrug:
Sequoia32
Verified:

Post by Sequoia32 »

I don’t think the guys who stole my CC bothered to look and see if it was engraved.

My car doesn’t have an alarm.
RTH10260
Verified: ✔️ Eurobot

Post by RTH10260 »

Sequoia32 wrote: Sat Jul 16, 2022 3:00 pm I don’t think the guys who stole my CC bothered to look and see if it was engraved.

My car doesn’t have an alarm.
The guys will not look for any engraving before stealing the cat. The engraving could be anywhere and covered in muck. I guess when they check and find too many cats with engraving they will stop cause it doesn't pay back any longer. In the mean time scrap yards need to be forced to reject anonymous customers off the road and only deal with established car maintenance shops. Possibly enforce a return policy for suppliers of cats.

As for the car alarms, they are targeted to detect intrusion into the cabin. The sawing noise from below the floor will not trigger it, it's not a shattering noise.
tek

Post by tek »

My '14 Grand Cherokee has skid plates, which make pretty much everything under the car inaccessible (which turns out to be a pain in the ass most of the time)

I'm not sure if the new Grand Cherokee I have on order has them as-built, but I know they are available as service parts.. might have to bolt them up (if the ever get around to making the vehicle..)
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

Zeldin is the congressman for the east end of LI.

Now running for NY governor.
MsDaisy
Verified:

Post by MsDaisy »

I've done both the Ancestry and 23 & Me DNA testing and discovered that Pocahontas was in fact my 9 times great grandmother, how cool is that! :dance:

Return to “General Stuff”