Iowa Supreme Court: It’s OK To Fire A Woman For Being Too Attractive

Skip Intro

Postby Skip Intro » Fri Jul 12, 2013 1:45 pm

That settles that.

Standing by a December decision, the Iowa Supreme Court ruled Friday that a male dentist who fired a female assistant because she was too attractive and threatened his marriage did not commit sex discrimination.The all-male court ruled against Melissa Nelson, who sued her former employer James Knight, alleging Knight’s wife told Knight to fire Nelson because “she was a big threat to our marriage.” Knight fired Nelson in January 2010 after more than 10 years working for him, later testifying that she was not fired for performance reasons.The Court wrote: “It is abundantly clear that a woman does not lose the protection of our laws prohibiting sex discrimination just because her employer becomes sexually attracted to her, and the employer’s attraction then becomes the reason for terminating the woman once it, in some way, becomes a problem for the employer. If a woman is terminated based on stereotypes related to the characteristics of her gender, including attributes of attractiveness, the termination would amount to sex discrimination because the reason for termination would be motivated by the particular gender attribute at issue.”Despite this admission, the justices claimed Nelson was fired not because of gender attributes but because of facts surrounding her relationship with Knight, including several comments he made about her clothing and the fact that the two would text each other outside of work hours.

[/break1]org/justice/2013/07/12/2292691/iowa-court-firing-attractive/]http://thinkprogress.org/justice/2013/0 ... ttractive/

A Legal Lohengrin

Postby A Legal Lohengrin » Fri Jul 12, 2013 2:25 pm

So to fire all the women in a workplace, simply start sexually harassing them and making improper comments to them and then fire them, claiming to be sexually attracted to them. I thought this was exactly the kind of conduct that was supposed to be prohibited by sex discrimination laws. Apparently, these judges don't think so.

vic

Postby vic » Fri Jul 12, 2013 2:33 pm

I wonder if Jimmy Carter realized, when he gave the Playboy interview and talked about "lust in my heart", that it was a get-out-of-jail-free card?
The wise man builds upon, and acknowledges, the contributions of those who came before.
- vic (If I were better read, I'd probably know that someone said this before, and more eloquently, than I just did)

A Legal Lohengrin

Postby A Legal Lohengrin » Fri Jul 12, 2013 2:43 pm

Incidentally, I'll note this case showcases two things recently noted about "motions for reconsideration" of the sort Orly is always screeching about. One, it is very rare for such a motion to be granted. Secondly, though, simply because you win your motion for reconsideration does not mean that after reconsideration, the ruling will be in your favor.

Suranis

Postby Suranis » Fri Jul 12, 2013 2:43 pm

Sounds like a situation that could have been resolved with a "We are employee and employer, and just friends, that's it. No more after hours texting. Ok?" talk rather than firing her.
Have you tried the Internet? It's made out of millions of people missing the point of everything and then getting angry about it.

Foggy

Postby Foggy » Fri Jul 12, 2013 4:25 pm

Sounds like a situation that could have been resolved with a "We are employee and employer, and just friends, that's it. No more after hours texting. Ok?" talk rather than firing her.

Nonsense. I call bullshit on this lame-ass "She threatened my marriage." They had been working together for TEN YEARS. What really happened is the wife found out. She heard him make a couple comments about her clothes. She found out he was texting her after hours. The wife told him to fire her and he did exactly that: "She sued her former employer James Knight, alleging Knight’s wife told Knight to fire Nelson because 'she was a big threat to our marriage,'" remember?

Translation: "Fire the bitch or I'm calling my lawyer on Monday." How's that for a "threat to our marriage," huh? :lol:

The way he says it makes it sound like she was a temptress, and he was bravely resisting the temptation but couldn't hang on much longer ... for ten years. :roll: Nope. Not fallin' for that one. I was born at night, but it wasn't last night. He didn't suddenly discover one day, ten years after hiring her, "Hey, Melissa's HAWT, now what do I do?" :-?
Show me, show me, show me how you do that trick! The one that makes me scream, she said.

Hektor

Postby Hektor » Fri Jul 12, 2013 4:41 pm

Translation: "Fire the bitch or I'm calling my lawyer on Monday." How's that for a "threat to our marriage," huh? :lol: The way he says it makes it sound like she was a temptress, and he was bravely resisting the temptation but couldn't hang on much longer ... for ten years. :roll: Nope. Not fallin' for that one. I was born at night, but it wasn't last night. He didn't suddenly discover one day, ten years after hiring her, "Hey, Melissa's HAWT, now what do I do?" :-?

:yeah:I do not see why Melissa should pay a financial price for the state of her boss' marriage. Texting a person doesn't imply an inappropriate advance.

Return to “Courts, Law, and Legal Issues”