ZekeB

Religion and generosity

Post by ZekeB » Fri Nov 06, 2015 3:07 pm

Ano, jsou opravdové. - Stormy Daniels

Reality Check

Re: Religion and generosity

Post by Reality Check » Sun Nov 08, 2015 9:52 am

Makes you think.
At the same time, religious parents were more likely than non-religious ones to consider their children empathetic and sensitive to the plight of others.
This study challenges those attitudes. It was the children in non-religious homes most likely to be generous toward a stranger. The longer a child had lived in a religious home, the stingier he was compared to his secular peers.

Here's how the study worked: researchers asked kids to play a game which required them to decide how many stickers to share with an anonymous peer from the same school and similar ethnic group.
Researchers also measured how children perceived interpersonal harm and what degree of punishment they thought was appropriate. Religious children judged others' actions as meaner and more deserving of punishment than kids in secular homes.
It fits the US Christian Right to a T.

"“If you’re not outraged, you’re not paying attention.”

Heather Heyer, November 2016

RVInit

Post by RVInit » Thu Feb 02, 2017 10:53 am

Muslims have been receiving an outpouring of support after their mosque was burned to the ground. They received the keys to a Jewish Synagogue as well as offerings from other local churches. There has also been an outpouring of support from around the world.

I don't remember hearing Trump give any kind of a speech about it, though. Did I miss something?

Jewsgive Muslims the keys to their synagogue

"I know that human being and fish can coexist peacefully"
--- George W Bush

ImageImage

Lani

Post by Lani » Thu Feb 02, 2017 3:13 pm

RVInit wrote:Muslims have been receiving an outpouring of support after their mosque was burned to the ground. They received the keys to a Jewish Synagogue as well as offerings from other local churches. There has also been an outpouring of support from around the world.

I don't remember hearing Trump give any kind of a speech about it, though. Did I miss something?
:snippity:
Nope. He hasn't said/tweeted a word about it or the murders at the Canadian mosque. And I think it's fair to assume that there's been no condolence call to Trudeau.

Insert signature here: ____________________________________________________

Volkonski

Post by Volkonski » Thu Feb 02, 2017 3:38 pm

Lani wrote:
RVInit wrote:Muslims have been receiving an outpouring of support after their mosque was burned to the ground. They received the keys to a Jewish Synagogue as well as offerings from other local churches. There has also been an outpouring of support from around the world.

Nope. He hasn't said/tweeted a word about it or the murders at the Canadian mosque. And I think it's fair to assume that there's been no condolence call to Trudeau.
Did Trump ever send any aid to Mississippi following those tornadoes?

Image“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.”
― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace

Sugar Magnolia

Post by Sugar Magnolia » Thu Feb 02, 2017 4:11 pm

Volkonski wrote:
Lani wrote:

Yes, 4 counties a week after the storm. I'm not sure he ever made a public comment about the destruction and loss of life though.

maydijo

Post by maydijo » Thu Feb 02, 2017 4:14 pm

Sugar Magnolia wrote:
Volkonski wrote:
Lani wrote:
Yes, 4 counties a week after the storm. I'm not sure he ever made a public comment about the destruction and loss of life though.
It's probably just as well, had he made a comment it would've been something like "The loss of life was appalling because they didn't get to see the absolutely yuge crowds that assembled to watch my inauguration. They were the biggest in history, no president has ever had crowds like mine, they were that bigly, and it's a shame they died before they could've seen something so impressive."

Return to “Religion”