Republican Discovers There Are "Other" Religions

Fortinbras

Re: Republican Discovers There Are "Other" Religions

Post by Fortinbras » Sun Aug 23, 2015 3:26 pm

Back in 2012, as a last ditch effort to derail Romney, other Republic candidates trotted out the argument, sometimes with distinguished (Protestant) spokesmen, that only the Right Kind of Christian should be President, and a Mormon was Not the Right Kind. Gingrich (the divorced Catholic) did this, so did Huckabee, and maybe one more.

But hearing that talk about Right Kind of Christian had a definite effect on some voters -- Jews, Catholics, Unitarians (the Repubs had, decades earlier, made an issue of Mondale's brother being deep into Ethical Culture), and a good many others -- who had troubling visions of the bad old days.

tek

Post by tek » Sun Aug 23, 2015 4:33 pm

this "if you are not like me, you suck" (or "are not worthy") crap has no place in American society.

I'm sorry, but it just doesn't. And the founding fathers were pretty clear about that (apparently not clear enough).

My parents were far from worldly, born in 1931 and having grown up in Western Massachusetts (small) city or (very) rural settings, but even back in the 60s when I was just a lad they made it clear that the US of A does not work that way. On the street where we lived while I was growing up, we had Catholics, Protestants, Atheists, Quakers, Jews, and God-fearing Baptists - all in only 8 houses on the street.

And the kids played together. And the parents got along, mostly.

...tom

Digging the snow and the rain and the bright sunshine.

Sterngard Friegen

Post by Sterngard Friegen » Sun Aug 23, 2015 7:13 pm

Talking about neighbors, Will and Jada Pinkett Smith (plus their large entourage) have been my neighbors at my last two addresses!

Whatever4

Post by Whatever4 » Sun Aug 23, 2015 9:36 pm

Sterngard Friegen wrote:Talking about neighbors, Will and Jada Pinkett Smith (plus their large entourage) have been my neighbors at my last two addresses!
And you didn't introduce us while we were there? :crying:

"[Moderate] doesn't mean you don't have views. It just means your views aren't predictable ideologically one way or the other, and you're trying to follow the facts where they lead and reach your own conclusions."
-- Sen. King (R-ME)

Somerset

Post by Somerset » Sun Aug 23, 2015 10:27 pm

Sam the Centipede wrote:I did write and mean "church" (as in Christianity) - Islamic countries are, as you say, different and I don't really know a huge amount about them. But if the U.S. or any other N/S American or European country were to choose a state religion, I don't think Islam of any flavor would be high on their shopping list. Best to stick with worshiping Mammon!
Turkey could be considered a "European country" ;)

Even here, where folks tend to be a lot more open minded than most US-centric forums, "religion" might more properly be stated as "Christianity and Judaism." A western biased view of the world is understandable, but keep in mind that over 2/3 of the world's population isn't in N/S America or Europe.

Catholic vs. Protestant; Orthodox vs. Reform; Sunni vs. Shia, Therevada vs. Mahayana. For all the different paths up the mountain, it's funny that many of mankind's fiercest battles aren't over which path to take, but whether the left side or the right side of the path is correct.

Whatever4

Post by Whatever4 » Mon Aug 24, 2015 4:23 am

Somerset wrote: Catholic vs. Protestant; Orthodox vs. Reform; Sunni vs. Shia, Therevada vs. Mahayana. For all the different paths up the mountain, it's funny that many of mankind's fiercest battles aren't over which path to take, but whether the left side or the right side of the path is correct.
Wow, can I steal that?

"[Moderate] doesn't mean you don't have views. It just means your views aren't predictable ideologically one way or the other, and you're trying to follow the facts where they lead and reach your own conclusions."
-- Sen. King (R-ME)

Somerset

Post by Somerset » Mon Aug 24, 2015 9:18 am

Whatever4 wrote:
Somerset wrote: Catholic vs. Protestant; Orthodox vs. Reform; Sunni vs. Shia, Therevada vs. Mahayana. For all the different paths up the mountain, it's funny that many of mankind's fiercest battles aren't over which path to take, but whether the left side or the right side of the path is correct.
Wow, can I steal that?
No problem :)

tek

Post by tek » Sun Sep 13, 2015 2:57 pm

A little OT, but following up..
tek wrote:In Massachusetts, anybody can solemnize a marriage:
A One-Day Marriage Designation is a procedure to allow a friend/family member to perform a wedding ceremony in Massachusetts.

According to Massachusetts General Laws Ch. 207, S. 39, the Governor can designate non-clergy individuals to solemnize a marriage, such as a friend or a family member.
My brother is doing just that for my daughter next month. No religion required.
The wedding occurred as planned yesterday. A beautiful, moving ceremony with the Atlantic Ocean as a backdrop and a small group of the people most important1 to the bride and groom.

The word "God" was not uttered even once. My brother and his wife are actually pretty religious people, but not "in your face" religious.. he gave a deep and heartfelt "wedding wish" that did not invoke even the faintest idea of a deity.

1The question my daughter asked herself when choosing (her) guests for this small ceremony was "Who could I call at 2:30AM with a serious problem and know that they would come to my aid without a second thought?" .. this does not result in the "usual" set of wedding guests.

Digging the snow and the rain and the bright sunshine.

SueDB

Post by SueDB » Sun Sep 13, 2015 3:31 pm

I'll be doing a marriage ceremony next Saturday. The bride and groom are not religious, but asked me as Reverend SueDB to do the ceremony. They said that God didn't RSVP so....

Needless to say, it won't be religious but 'surprisingly secular'.

By the power invested in me by the Government of the United States of America, the State of Washington, the County of Thurston, I now .....

“If You're Not In The Obit, Eat Breakfast”

Remember, Orly NEVAH disappoints!

Foggy

Post by Foggy » Sun Sep 13, 2015 4:11 pm

"We were married by a judge, but I should have demanded a jury." - Nelson DeMille

The judge who officiated at our wedding was Judge James Gray, who was the VP candy date for the Libertarian Party in 2012.

He offered us a sampling of various wedding vows prior to the ceremony, including the Apache wedding vows. We used those, and a few others.

In California, so they say, the average marriage lasts 2 years. I saw a wedding once in Costa Mesa, and 3 weeks later that marriage was OVER. The bride met a bartender with a much more steady supply of cocaine than her husband could manage to produce.

But when Judge Gray officiated, the averages are way different. He told me nobody he married had ever been divorced. Sure enough, ol' Wifehorn and I are coming up on 22 years and not done yet.

'Course, that was before gay marriage became a YOOOGE threat to traditional marriage. :bored:

The point of no return is no longer even visible in your rearview mirror. :-

Volkonski

Post by Volkonski » Sun Sep 13, 2015 4:23 pm

When I think about it the nonreligious couples I know stay married while the pious get divorced. :?

Quite a few of the people in my high school class were married and divorced before I finished college. Most of those were church goers, mostly Roman Catholic.

Perhaps they married too young for religious reasons but then had the strength to defy their faith and get divorced after the marriage turned sour.

Image“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.”
― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace

Sam the Centipede

Post by Sam the Centipede » Sun Sep 13, 2015 5:48 pm

Foggy wrote:"We were married by a judge, but I should have demanded a jury." - Nelson DeMille

The judge who officiated at our wedding was Judge James Gray, who was the VP candy date for the Libertarian Party in 2012.

He offered us a sampling of various wedding vows prior to the ceremony, including the Apache wedding vows. We used those, and a few others.

In California, so they say, the average marriage lasts 2 years. I saw a wedding once in Costa Mesa, and 3 weeks later that marriage was OVER. The bride met a bartender with a much more steady supply of cocaine than her husband could manage to produce.

But when Judge Gray officiated, the averages are way different. He told me nobody he married had ever been divorced. Sure enough, ol' Wifehorn and I are coming up on 22 years and not done yet.

'Course, that was before gay marriage became a YOOOGE threat to traditional marriage. :bored:
Naaah... it's the opposite of a threat to your fambly. If you decide your chest isn't lumpy enough or the boss decides that it's better to have dangly bits inside her pants, y'all can continue legally married.

Kriselda Gray
Location: FEMA Camp 2112 - a joint project of the U.S. and Canada

Post by Kriselda Gray » Sun Sep 13, 2015 6:10 pm

My husband and I were married in the Unity church, and while it was a religious wedding, we kept the terms rather neutral - like The Devine, or Divinity and maybe Creator once, I think. Our friends knew I was Pagan, and at the time Mr. Gray wasn't quite sure what he was. All of our family members and their friends were Christian, ranging from moderately liberal to Southern Baptist-style conservative, and they just assumed he and I were both basic Midwestern Christians. I don't think anyone who wasn't already in the know noticed anything. Our ceremony took parts from a Wiccan ceremony and the ceremony the Unity pastor had written for his own wedding. We did get several comments from people who liked some of the symbolism we brought in - especially the handfasting we did instead of a unity candle. We didn't tell them we'd borrowed that from the Wiccans :mrgreen:

Ignorance and prejudice and fear walk hand in hand... - "Witch Hunt" by Rush

SCMP = SovCits/Militias/Patriots.

Thor promised to slay the Ice Giants
God promised to quell all evil
-----
I'm not seeing any Ice Giants...

rpenner

Post by rpenner » Sun Sep 13, 2015 6:45 pm

Foggy wrote: I saw a wedding once in Costa Mesa,
They got married in the Assyrian Outlet Mall?

My bad, that's not in Costa Mesa.

ZekeB

Post by ZekeB » Sun Sep 13, 2015 7:51 pm

Goes to show that the Gubmint is more powerful than Jeebus. Always has been. While Jeebus has the power to form a marriage, he/she/it doesn't have to power to break it up. The Gubmint does.

Ano, jsou opravdové. - Stormy Daniels

Sterngard Friegen

Post by Sterngard Friegen » Sun Sep 13, 2015 10:38 pm

rpenner wrote:
Foggy wrote: I saw a wedding once in Costa Mesa,
They got married in the Assyrian Outlet Mall?

My bad, that's not in Costa Mesa.

ducktape

Post by ducktape » Mon Sep 14, 2015 12:09 am

That's in the City of Commerce, just up the road from me.

Return to “Religion”