Falsehoods unchallenged only fester and grow. To join, email foggy at thefogbow dot com.

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Dr Herb Titus
PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2011 4:40 pm 

Okay this has been springing up all over birtherstan. I haven't had a chance to view this yet but this lawyer "Dr Herb Titus" is claiming some stuff.

http://obamareleaseyourrecords.blogspot ... awaii.html

Anyone familiar with him? This is the first I've heard of him.

Reality Check Radio
Reality Check Radio Facebook Page

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2011 4:43 pm 

I documented some of his 2008 musings at my Nativeborncitizen Blog

Then and now... He never raised the two citizen parent as an issue but rather insisted that the Electoral Committee had to look into Obama's eligibility and that if the President were found to have been ineligible afterwards, only impeachment would be an option

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2011 4:48 pm 

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Herbert_Titus

(quoting it all before the birthers race to change details)

Quote:
Herbert W. Titus (born October 17, 1937 in Baker, Oregon, United States) is an American attorney, writer, and politician. He was a candidate for Vice-President of the United States in the 1996 U.S. presidential election on the Constitution Party ticket.

Titus holds a law degree (cum laude) from Harvard University and a B.S. degree in Political Science from the University of Oregon, from which he graduated Phi Beta Kappa.

Titus is an active member of the Bar of Virginia and is admitted to practice before the United States Supreme Court, the United States District Court for the Eastern District of Virginia, the United States Court of Federal Claims, and the United States Courts of Appeals for the Sixth, Tenth, District of Columbia and Federal Circuits.

Titus was the vice-presidential candidate of the Constitution Party (also known as the U.S. Taxpayers Party) in 1996, as the running-mate of Howard Phillips.

He was founding dean of Regent University School of Law in Virginia Beach, Virginia (originally named The Christian Broadcasting Network [CBN] Law School).

Along with Roy Moore, Titus was an original drafter of the Constitution Restoration Act,[1] which sought to take out of federal court jurisdiction cases that involved public officials that acknowledged God as the sovereign source of law, liberty, or government, and provided for the impeachment of federal judges who disregarded the act. The act did not pass either time it was introduced.

Writings

Judicial Tyranny: The New Kings of America? - contributing author (Amerisearch, 2005) ISBN 0-9753455-6-7
God, Man and Law: The Biblical Principles (Institute In Basic Life Principles, 1994) ISBN 0-916888-17-7

Sounds like the type of guy birfers would pal around with.

Birtherism seems to be dragging itself further into the sovereign citizen pool of extremism.

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2011 4:49 pm 

WND is truly desperate. This man has been around Birfistan for a while, as we noted in August 2009. He was the founding Dean of the law school at Regent's University and a candidate for Vice-President with Howard Phillips in 1996 for the U.S. Taxpayers Party.

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2011 4:53 pm 

Location: FEMA Camp 17 -- Malibu (Hey! You! Get off the lawn!)
What is his "doctorate" in?

Realist lives to serve. Foggy does it for the children. I'm in it for the schadenfreude.

:sterngard:

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2011 4:55 pm 

WND quoted Titus extensively in November 2008, where he discussed the role of the Electoral College in vetting the President-Elect. However, despite the fact that it was pretty darn well-known that Obama had a Kenyan father, Titus does *not* express any support for a two-parent definition of NBC.

He does get credited with saying this: "Titus said the basis of a natural-born requirement traces back to the Old Testament, where Moses prophesied about the people of Israel getting a king."

Nine months later, though, WND has him basically coming down in favor of a two-parent requirement.

The latter article also has Titus revisit the Biblical argument, and quotes him as saying "Your citizenship is in God's sovereign decision-making. You were born of certain parents."

So forget about John Bingham. Forget about Vattel. In the eyes of Herb Titus, "natural born citizenship" is defined by the almighty God himself, and God requires two citizen parents.

"In science, 'fact' can only mean 'confirmed to such a degree that it would be perverse to withhold provisional assent.' I suppose that apples might start to rise tomorrow, but the possibility does not merit equal time in physics classrooms."
- Stephen Jay Gould

Barackryphal

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2011 4:57 pm 

Sterngard Friegen wrote:

Apparently, some Birther erroneously thinks that his JD entitles him to be called "Dr."

"In science, 'fact' can only mean 'confirmed to such a degree that it would be perverse to withhold provisional assent.' I suppose that apples might start to rise tomorrow, but the possibility does not merit equal time in physics classrooms."
- Stephen Jay Gould

Barackryphal

Sterngard Friegen wrote:

At a guess, he probably got an honorary one from Regent University School of Law for being their founding dean.

Sounds like his "doctorate" is in nuttery.

Realist lives to serve. Foggy does it for the children. I'm in it for the schadenfreude.

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2011 5:08 pm 

Did I ever mention I haz a B.A. in idle chatter with a minor in making coffee?

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2011 5:11 pm 

Foggy wrote:

We knew that, Pappy. It was in your Wikipedia profile before the profile was deleted because you weren't deemed a sufficiently good coffee maker.

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2011 6:01 pm 

Loren wrote:
WND quoted Titus extensively in November 2008, where he discussed the role of the Electoral College in vetting the President-Elect. However, despite the fact that it was pretty darn well-known that Obama had a Kenyan father, Titus does *not* express any support for a two-parent definition of NBC.

Wow, great minds think alike, this is exactly what I got out of his 2008 musings. I have not listened to his interview yet but I would love to find out it contains some historical revisionism

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2011 6:06 pm 

Sterngard Friegen wrote:
Foggy wrote:

We knew that, Pappy. It was in your Wikipedia profile before the profile was deleted because you weren't deemed a sufficiently good coffee maker.

Now, now Dr. Friegen! [-X

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2011 6:24 pm 

Trying to track down more information on Dr. Herbert Titus, I came across a statement that Herbert Titus was "terminated" as Dean of Regent University Law School in 1993. This term is not used for the normal expiration of an appointment.

His son Troy, a graduate of the Regent University School of Law, lost his license to practice law in a real estate scandal that made CNBC's American Greed.

From that article
Quote:
Lest readers feel sympathy for Titus senior, they need to realize that, in my opinion, he's just as disturbed as his son - just in a different manner. Despite promising credentials Herb Titus went to the dark side years ago and has been and remains in bed with some of the most extreme religious nutcases to be found. Wikipedia has these details on Titus senior:
Along with Roy Moore, Titus was an original drafter of the Constitution Restoration Act which sought to take out of federal court jurisdiction cases that involved public officials that acknowledged God as the sovereign source of law, liberty, or government, and provided for the impeachment of federal judges who disregarded the act. The act did not pass either time it was introduced.

I have never before come across the Yurica Report. There is a wealth of information about Dominionist theology in The Despoiling of America: How George W. Bush became the head of the new American Dominionist Church/State. There are other articles in the series. Titus was among those who latched upon the opening words of the Declaration of Independence as a statement from gawd authorizing the overthrow of a government.

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2011 8:46 pm 

Herb Titus was fired from his position as dean of Regent Law School for being 'too extreme.' That's what wikipedia says but the link to the reference is broken. There is more about his reputation and termination here.

Quote:
While expressing concerns about Robertson's alleged past expressions of antisemitism (faculty blamed this on poorly chosen ghost writers) and associations with dominion theology promoting Christian control of secular institutions that some critics believe inspired the school's name, Cox said the faculty insisted that Regent didn't support Dominionism, pointing to the firing of Herbert Titus, the founding dean of the Law School, who was inclined to such a philosophy. Cox pointed to historian Bruce Barron's suggestion that the Regent faculty serve as a "moderating influence": "They are pragmatists who accept religious pluralism and do not insist on the universal applicability of Old Testament law" while preferring to focus on constitutional issues. Cox characterized Regent's mission as continuing in the tradition of religiously trained professionals by various Catholic and Protestant faiths such as Jesuit universities and (originally) Harvard. He found that academic freedom was promoted and that although half of the student body were either Pentecostals or charismatics, there existed a wider range of political attitudes than he first imagined.[7]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Regent_Uni ... ool_of_Law

I think he was about to cause the ABA to end their accreditation.

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2011 9:03 pm 

Frisky, thanks for that. I must say that slogging through that incredibly poorly written prose doesn't inform me very much about Titus, though.

I can't believe crap that like is allowed to be posted on Wikipedia. It's almost completely inscrutable.

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2011 9:07 pm 

Wiki is having problems lately retaining volunteers to do their editing work. It means their standards are slipping somewhat.

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2011 9:09 pm 

Sterngard Friegen wrote:
Frisky, thanks for that. I must say that slogging through that incredibly poorly written prose doesn't inform me very much about Titus, though.

I can't believe crap that like is allowed to be posted on Wikipedia. It's almost completely inscrutable.

Wikipedia is very uneven. I like to start there and look at the sources. In this case, I keep getting referred to a Virginia Tech site that is restricted. I found quite a bit more on him scattered about. He was Judge Roy Moore's attorney in the infamous Ten Commandments case.

Then, there is this:

http://www.christianliberty.org/lewis/news1

Bits and pieces in here once you pass over the 'herb' and biblical Titus entries: http://www.factbites.com/topics/Herb-Titus

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2011 3:16 am 

Offtopic :
From the Christian Liberty.org link in the post above:

Edit: In Larry Lewis's case, Idaho insists that section 666 of the Social Security Code compels them to deny him a drivers license.

[snip]

Section 666 requires all participating States to require "any applicant for professional license, driver's license, occupational license, recreational license, or marriage license" have (their) SSN "recorded on the application."

Larry's case is one in a long line of religious liberty challenges to States implementing section 666 of the Social Security Code.

I gotta wonder - are they more offended by the Code itself, or is it just the Section number that's giving them fits?

I stand between the candle and the star
...between the darkness and the light

-- Paraphrased from "Babylon 5" created by J. Michael Straczynski

"Ignorance and prejudice and fear walk hand in hand'
-- from "Witch Hunt" by Rush on their "Moving Pictures" album.

Facebook
Shadows in Wonderland
- we stand in the sun and look back in our tracks
an image of self in grays and in blacks
laughter and joy hold us in there sweet thrall
but even in Wonderland shadows must fall

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2011 5:09 pm 

Titus gave a speech back in April 2009 on 'natural born citizenship.' In it, he comes across as a definite Birther, calling Obama's COLB into question in his opening minutes. He also insinuates there was something sinister behind the botched inauguration oath.

He does kinda endorse a two-parent theory, but he does so by relying mostly on "God's law." He never cites Vattel. He also admits early on that he's talking about what the Supreme Court has ruled on, but rather on what the 'true' law is.

Part 1 - http://www.ustream.tv/recorded/1338420

Part 2 - http://www.ustream.tv/recorded/1338519

Titus is also such a great Constitutional scholar that when an attendee asks if the VP has to be a natural born citizen, Titus' initial response is "No."

- Stephen Jay Gould

Barackryphal

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2011 6:27 am 

Well, well, well, WND is recycling Titus now...

](*,) ](*,) ](*,)

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2011 12:00 am 

Drawing a distinction between a "citizen at birth" and "natural-born citizen" is splitting hairs.
Since when have the courts been in the business of splitting hairs?

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2011 12:28 am 

DrIrvingFinegarten wrote:
Drawing a distinction between a "citizen at birth" and "natural-born citizen" is splitting hairs.
Since when have the courts been in the business of splitting hairs?

Since 1787, but your point is well taken.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2011 5:40 am 

The real issue is how reading of "by nature" is really "by race..."

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2011 5:21 pm 

More Herb!*

Constitutional scholar: Born In Hawaii Does Not Make Obama Natural Born Citizen

Plus, the usual ignorant comments that follow.

* If only.