Religion / Atheism

Sam the Centipede

Re: Religion / Atheism

Post by Sam the Centipede » Sun May 13, 2018 4:36 am

The Gnostic heresy and its offshoots were fascinating. Rather like the sovcits, they claimed to have special knowledge that ordinary folk lacked! Ultimately their gnosis was just a special brand of ignorance.

Christianity is not really monotheistic and could not be. With a single perfect god doing everything there are no gripping stories. It's a drama with no other actors and no audience, nobody to interact with or talk about. So there are minor deities hidden around: angels, the devil (boo! hiss!),, Jesus, Mary the horsemen of the Apocalypse, cherubim, possibly saints, etc.

I am curious how the people of the Norse, Roman/Greek etc. religions actually viewed their gods. Those pantheons have a rich narrative of stories, drama, rivalries, flawed personalities, locations, battles, love, hate and only a limited notion that the mighty gods might have any interest in ordinary mortals, unless leading an expedition that met with a god's approval.

I'm sure the hoi polloi must have regarded the whole thing with ambivalence: it was a shared mythology to bind society together and good fun for temples, feasts, etc., but their gods gave little guidance on personal behavior and only intervened capriciously.

Changing the topic slightly: it's always amusing as an atheist when one hears a priest asserting "all religions are false, except mine." There are thousands of religions in the world, so I agree 99.9% with that priest; my only emendation would be to remove the words "except mine."

Reality Check

Post by Reality Check » Sun May 13, 2018 10:14 am

Years ago I had an interesting discussion with some Christians in my family about Christianity being a polytheistic religion. They don't buy it of course nor do most Christians. They also didn't like it when I pointed out that the term Holy Trinity is not used in the Bible.

"“If you’re not outraged, you’re not paying attention.”

Heather Heyer, November 2016

Volkonski

Post by Volkonski » Tue May 15, 2018 12:47 pm

Well, of course. It was bound to happen eventually. American retailers commercialized Christmas and now they are doing the same to Ramadan! :)

Houston Chronicle

@HoustonChron
Local Muslims say retailers can help bring Ramadan into the mainstream https://www.houstonchronicle.com/busine ... ium=social

11:38 AM - May 15, 2018
Earlier this year, the national party supply outlet Party City launched a Ramadan-specific line for the first time. The chain, with 850 U.S. stores, sold the party goods online and then in select stores, including one in Sugar Land. The company quickly ran out and is working to restock.

“We listened to our customers who were requesting Ramadan decorations and recognized an opportunity to fill this underserved category of party good items,” Party City’s president of retail Ryan Vero said in an email statement.

Malik gladly bought plates and napkins to supplement her homemade works.

“When you see Party City doing this,” she said, “it’s an honor for us.”

Image“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.”
― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace

Tiredretiredlawyer
Occupation: Permanent probationary slave to 2 dogs, 1 cat, and 1 horse

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer » Tue May 15, 2018 1:13 pm

I'm glad. My greatnieces are Muslim. Decorations like these make them feel more a part of society.

"The people must know before they can act, and there is no educator to compare with the press." - Ida B. Wells-Barnett, journalist, newspaper editor, suffragist, feminist and founder with others of NAACP.

Carl von Ossietsky

Post by Carl von Ossietsky » Tue May 15, 2018 2:03 pm

In France you find in the large supermarkets a Ramadan "Advent calendar".

будем здоровы!

Return to “Religion”