The Exorcist

MsDaisy

The Exorcist

Post by MsDaisy » Sat Nov 24, 2018 9:04 pm

When I was a kid I LOVED to watch scary movies, still do. I’d stay up late all alone to watch “Creature Feature” on Saturday nights with my pillow and blanket. I remember one night, I must have been 11 or 12 and right at the scariest part of the movie the damn furnace kicked in and the vent right below this wall of windows we had blew the curtains out and I nearly pissed myself!

When I was 16 a bunch of us went to see “The Exorcist” in Georgetown at some theater near where the movie was filmed and the “supposed” possession took place. After the movie we followed a procession of people walking past those steps the priest got thrown down, or however that went (45 years ago), and on the sidewalk at the bottom of the stairs someone had splattered red paint. I’ve never watched it since. That movie scared the shit out of me.

When I got home, my bedroom which IMO was actually the coolest room in the house, off the rec room in the walk out basement all by myself with my own bathroom, but there was no fucking way in hell I was going down there by myself when I got home. I grabbed a blanket and slept on the couch in the cloths I had on. I actually slept on that couch every night for a couple of months after that.

Now I’m old and brave but I still like scary movies. I just can’t imagine how scary it would be to believe this kind of thing was really real. And no offence intended to anyone who may also believe such things could be real. I realize that religious beliefs differ all across this planet and every single person has every right to believe what they will. I also believe that many people do in fact have demons in their minds somehow, I’m just speaking as a non-believer in most religious things; to me the “exorcism of demons” is pretty much like gay conversion therapy, sounds good but probably doesn’t really help much. Apparently though there are lots of folks that do believe, I guess it’s like a placebo affect or something. Believe hard enough that it will help and it does.

American Exorcism
Priests are fielding more requests than ever for help with demonic possession, and a centuries-old practice is finding new footing in the modern world.

Louisa muskovits appeared to be having a panic attack. It was March of 2016, and Louisa, a 33-year-old with a history of alcohol abuse, was having a regular weekly session with her chemical-dependency counselor in Tacoma, Washington.

Louisa had recently separated from her husband, Steven. When the counselor asked about her marriage, she said she wasn’t ready to talk about it. The counselor pressed, and again Louisa demurred. Eventually the conversation grew tense, and Louisa started to hyperventilate, a common symptom of a panic attack.

The counselor rushed down the hall to get Louisa’s therapist, Amy Harp. Together they moved Louisa to Harp’s office, where they felt they could better calm her. But once Louisa was there, Harp recalls, her demeanor transformed. Normally friendly and open, she started screaming and pulling out clumps of her hair. She growled and glared. Her head flailed from side to side, cocking back at odd angles. In jumbled bursts, she muttered about good and evil, God and the devil. She told the counselors that no one there could save “Louisa.”
https://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/ar ... se/573943/
Birfers are toast

neonzx

Re: The Exorcist

Post by neonzx » Sat Nov 24, 2018 9:16 pm

The Exorcist is classic. Even today, it stands the test of time.

As aside, trivia, Jason Miller, who played the "young priest" won an Academy Award for that role. He also won a Pulitzer Prize for writing the screenplay for "The Championship Season". I think he may still be the only person who has won those two awards. A friend of mine was close with Jason and would tell me story after story. When you have near genius talent -- and Jason was off the scale -- his personal life was always a wreck. Relationships, family, drinking, bar fights, you name it.
To which Trump replied, Fuck the law. I don't give a fuck about the law. I want my fucking money.

Suranis

Post by Suranis » Sun Nov 25, 2018 6:49 am

I've had a priest say to me that the Exorcist is basically a "popped up" version of reality. He said one of the things that it left out was the fact that start seeing a slideshow of absolutely everything bad you have done in your entire life. It's like watching a movie. Basically the demon is fighting back and hitting you with "look at you, who the hell are you to push me around?" He did say though that he could not really tell stories as such as its regarded as private, between the patient and the Priest.

The corollary to that is that there is also such a thing as Angelic Possession. It's not talked about as Angels don't try and wreck peoples lives. They slip in, do something good, and leave.

And, really, I don't find the thing scary as such. Because you have to remember that you have value, and there are beings fighting on your side, and you DO have defenses against this sort of thing. Its like the conversation between the 2 Priests said in the Excocist, that the demons want you to be afraid and to despair, when there is really no need to be, and you have value. That's the good news.
Learn to Swear in Latin. Profanity with class!
https://blogs.transparent.com/latin/lat ... -in-latin/

Lani

Post by Lani » Sun Nov 25, 2018 6:57 am

I also saw The Exorcist at the Georgetown theater. I went to an afternoon showing. Freaked me out. I was amazed when I left the theater to find a sunny afternoon in a lovely neighborhood.

After that, I limited my exposure to upsetting movies.
Insert signature here: ____________________________________________________

Return to “Religion”