Christian Extremists

DejaMoo

Re: Christian Extremists

Post by DejaMoo » Wed May 16, 2018 12:51 pm

AndyinPA wrote:
Tue May 15, 2018 11:38 am
That's a good thing. I think those right-wing churches have soured a lot of people over the years away from other churches, too. They give Christianity a bad name. That's a little bit of what happened to me, but I always liked Ghandi's statement (paraphrased) that he likes Christ; Christians not so much.
The most admirable believers of any persuasion are, imo, those who live their beliefs and thus serve as an example. As opposed to those who don't live 'em but instead use them as a club against non-believers.

RoadScholar

Post by RoadScholar » Wed May 16, 2018 1:32 pm

We used to hang with a Canadian* guy named Jim who was an intellectual heavy laborer, a skilled plasterer who read Camus, Antonin Artaud, Andrés Gide and Malraux and so on.

It was easy to assume after knowing him for a few years that he practiced no religion. But when someone said so one day, he replied "Actually, I do. But if you can't tell what it is from watching me, then it means nothing."

*Here without papers, he self-described as a 'frostback.' ;)

The bitterest truth is healthier than the sweetest lie.
X3

DejaMoo

Post by DejaMoo » Tue Oct 23, 2018 12:14 pm

The Onward March of Christian Political Power
Fifty years ago, in conscientious reaction to the perceived erosion of biblical norms in society, religious conservatives began operationalizing the teachings of Christianity into a vigorous political program. Society’s accelerated liberalization in the 1960s—which featured the sexual revolution, drug experimentation, and enforced racial integration—prompted religious leaders to harness the power of “Judeo-Christian values” to build an electorally formidable monolith.
:snippity:

So the Christian Right, one of society’s most formidable voting blocs, is shaped to a significant degree by charismatic Christian personalities, politically-active conservative organizations, and right-wing media. It’s no wonder, then, that this group often makes theologically counterintuitive political decisions. On a simplistic theory of Christian political behavior—one that many Christians believe about themselves—faith-based conservatives simply vote for candidates who support their worldview.

Yet, in 2016, four out of five white evangelicals voted for a man whose life is a middle finger wagging in God’s eye—an uninterrupted desecration of Christ’s Sermon on the Mount. Roy Moore, who possesses the extraordinary distinction of being even more detestable than Trump, also managed to win the backing of a sizable portion of the movement. It got so bad that at one point, I felt the need to pose a semi-satirical question at my publication in the form of a thought-experiment: Would Evangelicals elect Lucifer?

The best explanation is that a political agenda need not look anything like the true essence of a group’s core identity. There is no presumption that the three sources I’ve listed convey to ordinary Christians a set of genuinely Christian political ideals; in fact, what we are seeing is conservative Christians absorbing political values that are scandalously contrary to biblical Christianity. In other words, there is no correlation between thinking one is choosing the candidate God would want and actually choosing the candidate God would want.
There is a reason Trump sought the Christian vote so tirelessly. The interplay of powerful institutions  within Christian conservatism—churches, parachurch organizations, Christian personalities and leaders, the avatars of the consumer Christian subculture, right-wing media entities —together represent a massively influential political machine that Trump can pander to, and thus rely upon, in order to preserve power for himself. It’s a mutually negotiated power loop: they support Trump and he elevates their individual interests. This is ordinary politics, of course, but what makes this arrangement remarkable is that he is, on paper, everything they should despise and campaign against. And they are, to him, idiotic worshipers whose desires for holy living are incompatible with the Trumpian way.
Ultimately, this is not an article about Trump; I bring him into the picture as a way to show how the magnetic pull of the presidency is what leads to theological and ecclesiastical capture. The perpetuation of Christian political power requires sycophancy—in return, these eminent leaders and organizations get access and status. This quid pro quo is not hard to spell out in more detail: the president grants evangelical advisors influence, prestige, importance, and what he gets in return is the renewable imprimatur of Christian legitimacy, with sermons, statements, and TV and radio appearances, bearing down on ordinary Christians until there is no escape from the complete identification of one’s faith with voting for a particular candidate. Conservative believers are bombarded with a message that conflates support for Republicans with what it means to possess a vibrant Christian faith, with the latter only being actualizable by faithfully and energetically embracing the former.

This is power. And, as an evangelical myself, I do not think we should have it.
This is an article I urge everyone to read in its entirety. And it is making points that I've made here many times before. Don't confuse the Religious Right with actual religiosity. It's about political power.

Flatpointhigh
Occupation: Voice Actor, Podcaster, I hold a Ph.D in Procrastination.

Post by Flatpointhigh » Tue Oct 23, 2018 12:17 pm

Grooming the children:
https://www.lgbtqnation.com/2018/10/maj ... -children/
Tony Perkins, the group’s leader, is one of our adulterous and immoral president’s biggest supporters. Under his leadership, the group has become explicitly political and is frequently involved in Republican policy making.

In a “prayer of the day” email sent to supporters, today Perkins asks his followers to plead with God for the right to harm LGBT children. And elect far right Republicans

"It is wrong to say God made rich and poor; He only made male and female, and He gave them the Earth as their inheritance."- Thomas Paine, Forward to Agrarian Justice
Cancer broke me

NotaPerson

Post by NotaPerson » Tue Oct 23, 2018 12:21 pm

Michael Gerson (of the Washington Post) has a written a number of very similar columns since Trump's election.

Am I being detained?

Return to “Religion”