Ken Ham

noblepa

Re: Ken Ham

Post by noblepa » Tue Jul 25, 2017 5:12 pm

Gregg wrote:Here in Cincinnati I think the Reds and Bengals both do it, but I assume they make a contribution that is quite generous in comparison to what they would pay in real wages. The issue with them seems to be finding help willing to do it for minimum wage on the limited hours a sports team can offer, not saving money on the $5 hot dogs, $5 half litre cokes and $8 beer.

They obviously don't limit it to church groups, but to school teams, Boy Scout troops and such, and they have no trouble finding groups to do it, they apparently rotate the slots, one group will run one stand, and the beer and booze are more like Loveland Business Councils and not Church youth groups, its very popular. I have never even heard anyone making a fuss over church groups in publicly funded stadiums, which when you think about it is surprising,

https://www.delawarenorth.com/cincinnat ... undraising
The Indians do that, as well. When my son was in Boy Scouts, our troop looked into it. The troop could have made several thousand dollars for two or three nights work. We decided not to pursue it, because we didn't need the money that badly, and we weren't sure we could get enough moms and dads to do the work. We couldn't have the boys work. I think you had to be 18.

That's a little different that having volunteers simply work for nothing. The church group or, in our case a scout troop, would be paid handsomely. The volunteers only worked a couple of games.

One time I was at a game, and I went to the booth and ordered a beer. At the time, I was about fifty, but the lady working there asked to see my driver's license. She wasn't kidding. She had been told to "card everybody", so she did. Sadly, the professional vendors, lugging beer down into the seating areas, were not as scrupulous. There were two fifteen year old boys behind us who were bragging that the vendor sold them beer.

Whip

Post by Whip » Tue Jul 25, 2017 5:45 pm

noblepa wrote:by the name of Ernest Angely.

I am baffled to see he is still alive.

mmmirele

Post by mmmirele » Tue Jul 25, 2017 5:52 pm

Department of Labor, actually.

Here's the decision:
https://www.documentcloud.org/documents ... uling.html

Basically it follows along in the footsteps of Tony & Susan Alamo Fdn. v. Sec'y of Labor (SCt 1985) which said the foundation's workers were actually employees under the Fair Labor Standards Act.

Newspaper article:
http://www.cleveland.com/court-justice/ ... ey_or.html

Angley closed the Cathedral Buffet in April as a result:
http://www.cleveland.com/metro/index.ss ... ey_ha.html

maydijo

Post by maydijo » Tue Jul 25, 2017 6:22 pm

I used to work as a volunteer manager, and there are pretty tough laws (in Australia at least) governing what you can ask volunteers to do. One of the biggies is that you can't fire paid staff and replace them with volunteers. And obviously that would be bad for your bottom line, too, because one of the benefits to volunteering is that you can quit at any time for any reason. So, you put a volunteer in charge of the concession stand, she gets fed up and walks off the job, you have no recourse. Volunteers don't like bring taken advantage of, and customers like at least some consistency of customer service. I can't see his little plan working too well.

MN-Skeptic

Post by MN-Skeptic » Sat Jul 29, 2017 11:40 pm

http://www.kentucky.com/news/state/arti ... 14158.html

Noah's Ark sold the property back to the for-profit company and will be collecting the safety tax.

Sam the Centipede

Post by Sam the Centipede » Sun Jul 30, 2017 6:12 am

maydijo wrote:I used to work as a volunteer manager, and there are pretty tough laws (in Australia at least) governing what you can ask volunteers to do. One of the biggies is that you can't fire paid staff and replace them with volunteers. And obviously that would be bad for your bottom line, too, because one of the benefits to volunteering is that you can quit at any time for any reason. So, you put a volunteer in charge of the concession stand, she gets fed up and walks off the job, you have no recourse. Volunteers don't like bring taken advantage of, and customers like at least some consistency of customer service. I can't see his little plan working too well.
Ken Ham is from Australia but I don't think he'll be accepting Australian jurisdiction for his Ark Scam Park, even if all his amusement park's "science" is upside down! The unique fauna of Australia has always been one embarrassing conundrum among many for that idiotic brand of young earth creationism as its proponents try to explain away the persistent refusal of reality to accord with their mythic nonsense. Perhaps that's one reason why Ken Ham prefers the States over Oz? (Actually, I guess the real reason must be the larger pool of gullible, scammable victims.)

Ken Ham can't see a fact without trying to lie about it, he can't see a mark without trying to fleece it. He is almost Trumpian in his preference for dishonesty over righteousness.

I don't know about the local law for the Ark Krap but I expect you're right about it.

Return to “Religion”