Religion / Atheism

RTH10260

Re: Religion / Atheism

Post #301 by RTH10260 » Sun Apr 17, 2016 1:53 am

and today this

Behold, The World’s First Official Pastafarian Wedding
Surely the Flying Spaghetti Monster smiled on this.

04/16/2016 07:02 pm ET
Hilary Hanson Viral News Editor, The Huffington Post

When New Zealand approved The Church of the Flying Spaghetti Monster — whose followers are known as “Pastafarians ”— to officiate marriages, we knew it was just a matter of time until we saw beautiful photos of Pastafarian weddings.

That day has arrived.

Toby Rickets and Marianna Fenn wed Saturday on a boat in New Zealand’s Akaroa Harbor under the auspices of Karyn Martyn, a “ministeroni,” according to NPR.

Their exchanged rigatoni rings and their kiss involved them locking lips by slurping the same noodle at opposite ends, “Lady and the Tramp” style, the Associated Press reports.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/pas ... 0ccda37a86

Volkonski

Post #302 by Volkonski » Mon May 22, 2017 1:22 pm

:thumbs:

Way More Americans May Be Atheists Than We Thought

https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/wa ... y-facebook

The authors of the study, published earlier this year, adopted a novel way to measure atheist identity. Instead of asking about belief in God directly, they provided a list of seemingly innocuous statements and then asked: “How many of these statements are true of you?” Respondents in a control group were given a list of nine statements, such as “I own a dog” and “I am a vegetarian.” The test group received all the same statements plus one that read, “I do not believe in God.” The totals from the test group were then compared to those from the control group, allowing researchers to estimate the number of people who identify as atheists without requiring any of the respondents to directly state that they don’t believe in God.1 The study concludes that roughly one-quarter (26 percent) of Americans likely do not believe in God.

:snippity:

Americans express a considerable degree of intolerance toward atheists. More than half of Americans believe atheists should not be allowed to put up public displays that celebrate their beliefs (for example, a banner highlighting Americans’ freedom from religion under the Bill of Rights). More than one-third believe atheists should be banned from becoming president, and similar numbers believe they should be denied the opportunity to teach in public schools or the right to hold a rally.

And therein lies the problem: The stigma attached to the atheist label may prevent Americans from claiming it or sharing their beliefs with others. In certain parts of the country, pressure to conform to prevailing religious practices and beliefs is strong. A reporter with The Telegraph writing from rural Virginia, for example, found that for many atheists, being closeted makes a lot of sense. “The stakes are high,” said a Virginia Tech graduate who was raised Christian but is now an atheist. “Do I want to be supported by my friends and family, or am I going to risk being kicked out of clubs and organizations? It’s tempting just to avoid the whole issue.”

The fear of coming out shows up in polling too. A 2016 PRRI survey found that more than one-third of atheists reported hiding their religious identity or beliefs from friends and family members out of concerns that they would disapprove.

Image“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.”
― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace

TollandRCR

Post #303 by TollandRCR » Mon May 22, 2017 5:11 pm

I suspect that there are more Americans who don't believe in anything supernatural than there are who are willing to declare themselves atheists.

“The truth is, we know so little about life, we don’t really know what the good news is and what the bad news is.” Kurt Vonnegut

Tiredretiredlawyer
Occupation: Permanent probationary slave to 5 dogs, 2 cats, the neighbor's cat, and 1 horse

Post #304 by Tiredretiredlawyer » Mon May 22, 2017 6:36 pm

I have run the religious gamut - raised Catholic, leaned Methodist, enjoyed studying Buddhism, and currently do not believe in a creator god (like Buddhists). I do, however, believe and have experienced a ghost which might be off topic. So, have I come out?

“I’ve been hooked since my first smell of C-4.” Linda Cox, first female Air Force Explosive Ordnance Disposal Technician, first to lead her own unit, go to war, be awarded a Bronze Star, and hold the highest enlisted rank of chief master sergeant.

RTH10260

Post #305 by RTH10260 » Mon May 22, 2017 6:56 pm

Tiredretiredlawyer wrote:I have run the religious gamut - raised Catholic, leaned Methodist, enjoyed studying Buddhism, and currently do not believe in a creator god (like Buddhists). I do, however, believe and have experienced a ghost which might be off topic. So, have I come out?

Pictures of your castle or it ain't happened ! ;)

mmmirele

Post #306 by mmmirele » Mon May 22, 2017 6:59 pm

Volkonski wrote::thumbs:

Way More Americans May Be Atheists Than We Thought

This reminds me of the aspirational nature of polling for church attendance. I'm going to quote from Wikipedia on this, because it gives a much better summary of the (limited) research we have:

In the early 1990s, American sociologists Kirk Hadaway, Penny Marler, and Mark Chaves found that weekly attendance at Protestant and Catholic churches in one rural county in Ohio was only about 20%, whereas self-reported church attendance was 36%.[73] The following studies confirmed a long-suspected gap between actual and self-reporting church attendance.[74][75] The researchers have been wary of accusing over-reporters of dishonesty, as they found in the study that those who over-report do so mainly to maintain perceptions of themselves as "churched" Americans, not because they are afraid to reveal to the interviewer that they are "bad Christians."[76] The findings point to a bigger issue as many people in the world may be over-reporting church attendance because of their self-perception and identity as churchgoing people, indicating a certain psychological aspect to the over-reporting of church attendance. Although surveys of church attendance are aimed to study religious behavior, many respondents view them as questions about their identity. This is especially true among Americans who consider themselves "regular churchgoers."[77][78]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Church_attendance

Chilidog

Post #307 by Chilidog » Mon May 22, 2017 7:07 pm

I saw this today and though maybe this thread would be a good place for it

WASHINGTON, D.C. -- The percentage of U.S. adults who believe that God created humans in their present form at some time within the last 10,000 years or so -- the strict creationist view -- has reached a new low. Thirty-eight percent of U.S. adults now accept creationism, while 57% believe in some form of evolution -- either God-guided or not -- saying man developed over millions of years from less advanced forms of life.

http://www.gallup.com/poll/210956/belie ... w-low.aspx

Tiredretiredlawyer
Occupation: Permanent probationary slave to 5 dogs, 2 cats, the neighbor's cat, and 1 horse

Post #308 by Tiredretiredlawyer » Mon May 22, 2017 10:05 pm

RTH10260 wrote:
Tiredretiredlawyer wrote:I have run the religious gamut - raised Catholic, leaned Methodist, enjoyed studying Buddhism, and currently do not believe in a creator god (like Buddhists). I do, however, believe and have experienced a ghost which might be off topic. So, have I come out?

Pictures of your castle or it ain't happened ! ;)

The ghost was in a 19th century home my firm purchased. The house was made of hand cut gray granite, had two turrets and three stories. In giving directions in pre smartphone days, we told folks to "look for the castle."

You knew she was present by her perfume. The staff dubbed her "Violet" since that was the fragrance. She wore a white dress. The staff who worked in the building before our purchase told us about her.

“I’ve been hooked since my first smell of C-4.” Linda Cox, first female Air Force Explosive Ordnance Disposal Technician, first to lead her own unit, go to war, be awarded a Bronze Star, and hold the highest enlisted rank of chief master sergeant.

Patagoniagirl

Post #309 by Patagoniagirl » Mon May 22, 2017 11:06 pm

I am atheistic/agnostic. I felt that when Mister left the physical earth he was all around, but then felt that he was not here. Maybe somewhere in the winds or clouds. Been lonely for him. For a long time. Anyway...a couple of months ago, sitting at a shabby thatch-roof bar on the beach watching the sun go down, I felt his arm around the back of my bar stoool. I felt his presence. Profoundly. I wanted to turn around and see him because I miss him so much but I was afraid to not see him. He was standing there. I think in that moment that all the strings in the theory that enveloped me. He was there and I was happy. And sad.

Tiredretiredlawyer

Post #310 by Tiredretiredlawyer » Tue May 23, 2017 4:47 am

How profound and moving.

mmmirele

Post #311 by mmmirele » Tue May 23, 2017 9:01 am

Chilidog wrote:I saw this today and though maybe this thread would be a good place for it

WASHINGTON, D.C. -- The percentage of U.S. adults who believe that God created humans in their present form at some time within the last 10,000 years or so -- the strict creationist view -- has reached a new low. Thirty-eight percent of U.S. adults now accept creationism, while 57% believe in some form of evolution -- either God-guided or not -- saying man developed over millions of years from less advanced forms of life.

http://www.gallup.com/poll/210956/belie ... w-low.aspx

GOOD. Except for calling it the "strict creationist view." It's "young earth creationism." People need to use the right terminology.

It looks like YECers are losing people to both theistic evolutionists and "God had no part in the process" people. This is actually unsurprising, since I've heard from people who were former believers in YEC how traumatized they were when they found out they'd basically been lied to.

Return to “Religion”