Pope Francis

Tiredretiredlawyer
Occupation: Permanent probationary slave to 5 dogs, 2 cats, the neighbor's cat, and 1 horse

Re: Pope Francis

Post #451 by Tiredretiredlawyer » Wed Mar 15, 2017 3:09 pm

So cool, Roadie!!!!

“I’ve been hooked since my first smell of C-4.” Linda Cox, first female Air Force Explosive Ordnance Disposal Technician, first to lead her own unit, go to war, be awarded a Bronze Star, and hold the highest enlisted rank of chief master sergeant.

Sugar Magnolia

Post #452 by Sugar Magnolia » Wed Mar 15, 2017 3:11 pm

RoadScholar wrote:
Sugar Magnolia wrote:The work is beautiful RS, I'm just sorry it had to be painted over. (I know you said gilded, but it's a covering over the wood.)

Did you do anything with the leftover scrap pieces?

The Society for Colonial Wars of Maryland

http://www.scwmd.org/events/

wanted the Liberty Tree scraps back. So no. And the Liberty Tree root wood was tremendously unexciting, being Poplar. Just a light vaguely greenish close-grained wood.

I do however still have some pieces of the Wye Oak.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wye_Oak

That's what the stained bases for the ball-and-crosses were made from... so the gifts contain wood from the two most historically significant trees in Maryland history! When they fell, each was well over 400 years older than America. Would you like a little piece?

The scwmd.org link above really is worth a look.

From the Wye Oak wiki link "Wood was also distributed to some 40 artists and craftspersons who have used the tree's remains to create carvings, sculptures, oil paintings, a 3-dimensional collage, furnishings, and serving pieces.[14] The Maryland Department of Natural Resources created a gallery of these works that travelled to sites around the state and which can be viewed online.[15]" Did you have a piece in the exhibit? I was disappointed the link for the online exhibit is a 404 error.

jmj

Post #453 by jmj » Wed Mar 15, 2017 3:14 pm

Very cool RoadScholar. And since I'm a woodworker and always interested in the construction aspect: am I correct in assuming that the crosses are half-lapped?

RoadScholar

Post #454 by RoadScholar » Wed Mar 15, 2017 3:40 pm

jmj wrote:Very cool RoadScholar. And since I'm a woodworker and always interested in the construction aspect: am I correct in assuming that the crosses are half-lapped?

You are correct sir. :thumbs:

The bitterest truth is healthier than the sweetest lie.

RoadScholar

Post #455 by RoadScholar » Wed Mar 15, 2017 3:41 pm

Sugar Magnolia wrote:
RoadScholar wrote:
Sugar Magnolia wrote:The work is beautiful RS, I'm just sorry it had to be painted over. (I know you said gilded, but it's a covering over the wood.)
Did you do anything with the leftover scrap pieces?
:snippity:

I do however still have some pieces of the Wye Oak.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wye_Oak
... so the gifts contain wood from the two most historically significant trees in Maryland history! When they fell, each was well over 400 years older than America. Would you like a little piece?

From the Wye Oak wiki link "Wood was also distributed to some 40 artists and craftspersons who have used the tree's remains to create carvings, sculptures, oil paintings, a 3-dimensional collage, furnishings, and serving pieces.[14] The Maryland Department of Natural Resources created a gallery of these works that travelled to sites around the state and which can be viewed online.[15]" Did you have a piece in the exhibit?

No. My application for the wood was denined. The pieces I have are from a sculptor who had me rough out some material for her project and she let me keep the scraps. My application was for ~100 board feet (from a tree that had thousands) to retain in my shop to be incorporated for the balance of my working life into such historically significant projects as our shop may encounter. I offered to give such clients a certificate saying "Part of the material for this project came from the historic Wye Oak." No dice.

As luck would have it, that's exactly what later happened with the Liberty Crosses.

The universe is a funny place.

The bitterest truth is healthier than the sweetest lie.

RVInit

Post #456 by RVInit » Wed Mar 15, 2017 7:39 pm

Nice work, RS!

"I know that human being and fish can coexist peacefully"
--- George W Bush

Reality Check

Post #457 by Reality Check » Wed Mar 15, 2017 11:04 pm

RS :thumbs:

Peace & Love & Light!

Rick Skalsky

Notorial Dissent

Post #458 by Notorial Dissent » Thu Mar 16, 2017 12:45 am

The wood working is incredible.

The fact that you sincerely and wholeheartedly believe that the “Law of Gravity” is unconstitutional and a violation of your sovereign rights, does not absolve you of adherence to it.

Sunrise

Post #459 by Sunrise » Thu Mar 16, 2017 12:46 am

Beautiful, RS! :thumbs:

TollandRCR

Post #460 by TollandRCR » Thu Mar 16, 2017 8:50 am

I followed the link to The Society of Colonial Wars in the State of Maryland http://www.scwmd.org/events/, from which I went to several sites about the historic St. Mary's City. I was not aware of the extent of persecution of Roman Catholics back in Europe. I did know enough to deny that the Pilgrims came to North America in search of religious freedom.

Off Topic
Every time I read about religion I wonder what our world would be like if the monotheistic religions had never arisen.

God hath chosen the weak things of the world to confound the things which are mighty. First Corinthians 1:27 AKJV

Northland10

Post #461 by Northland10 » Thu Mar 16, 2017 8:55 am

TollandRCR wrote:
Off Topic
Every time I read about religion I wonder what our world would be like if the monotheistic religions had never arisen.

Off Topic
We would probably found another club to use in the pursuit of power and to pursecute others.

"Prudence, indeed, will dictate that Governments long established should not be changed for light and transient causes..." - Declaration of Independence

Return to “Religion”