Newsweek's "The Bible: So Misunderstood It's a Sin"

ducktape

Post by ducktape » Tue Dec 23, 2014 9:20 pm

This is an awesome article which I really can't do justice to, so I'll give you a couple of quotes and then strongly encourage you to read it.

This is no longer a matter of personal or private faith. With politicians, social leaders and even some clergy invoking a book they seem to have never read and whose phrases they don’t understand, America is being besieged by Biblical illiteracy. Climate change is said to be impossible because of promises God made to Noah; Mosaic law from the Old Testament directs American government; creationism should be taught in schools; helping Syrians resist chemical weapons attacks is a sign of the end times—all of these arguments have been advanced by modern evangelical politicians and their brethren, yet none of them are supported in the Scriptures as they were originally written.

And here's what the article is about:

Newsweek’s exploration here of the Bible’s history and meaning is not intended to advance a particular theology or debate the existence of God. Rather, it is designed to shine a light on a book that has been abused by people who claim to revere it but don’t read it, in the process creating misery for others. When the illiteracy of self-proclaimed Biblical literalists leads parents to banish children from their homes, when it sets neighbor against neighbor, when it engenders hate and condemnation, when it impedes science and undermines intellectual advancement, the topic has become too important for Americans to ignore, whether they are deeply devout or tepidly faithful, believers or atheists.

This examination—based in large part on the works of scores of theologians and scholars, some of which dates back centuries—is a review of the Bible’s history and a recounting of its words. It is only through accepting where the Bible comes from— and who put it together—that anyone can comprehend what history’s most important book says and, just as important, what it does not say.

Kurt Eichwald is a brave man -- cue the Xians calling him a spawn of the devil.

http://www.newsweek.com/2015/01/02/that ... 94018.html

Suranis

Post by Suranis » Tue Dec 23, 2014 9:41 pm

Very good article. I actually knew quite a bit of it, but some of it was new to me.

Learn to Swear in Latin. Profanity with class!
https://blogs.transparent.com/latin/lat ... -in-latin/

bob

Post by bob » Tue Dec 23, 2014 9:59 pm

cue the Xians calling him a spawn of the devil.

Yet Another Topic on which Gallups will filibuster, instead of providing "updates" on Zullo. :angry: :torches:

Imagex6 Imagex2 Imagex4 Imagex2

realist

Post by realist » Wed Dec 24, 2014 6:47 am

This examination—based in large part on the works of scores of theologians and scholars, some of which dates back centuries—is a review of the Bible’s history and a recounting of its words. It is [hlyellow]only through accepting where the Bible comes from— and who put it together[/hlyellow]—that anyone can comprehend what history’s most important book says and, just as important, what it does not say.

Well, that's an easy one. God wrote the King James Version (the only real/true Bible) in English. Rudy Davis says so, so it must be true.

ImageX 4 ImageX36

ZekeB

Post by ZekeB » Wed Dec 24, 2014 11:00 am

I concur. And the U.S.A. is the center of Christianity. Christianity as practiced in the U.S.A. is the only kind that leads to an easier life here on earth.

Ano, jsou opravdové. - Stormy Daniels

Nech mě domluvit! - Orly Taitz

Jez

Post by Jez » Wed Dec 24, 2014 11:05 am

Very interesting read. Thank you for bringing it here, Ducktape :)

I have learned silence from the talkative, toleration from the intolerant, and kindness from the unkind; yet, strange, I am ungrateful to those teachers.

~Khalil Gibran

magdalen77

Post by magdalen77 » Wed Dec 24, 2014 12:22 pm

This examination—based in large part on the works of scores of theologians and scholars, some of which dates back centuries—is a review of the Bible’s history and a recounting of its words. It is [hlyellow]only through accepting where the Bible comes from— and who put it together[/hlyellow]—that anyone can comprehend what history’s most important book says and, just as important, what it does not say.

Well, that's an easy one. God wrote the King James Version (the only real/true Bible) in English. Rudy Davis says so, so it must be true.

You'd be surprised at the number of people who think that the KJV is the original version of the Bible. And when I'd tell them it was a translation just like the NIV or RSV, they'd get all annoyed at me. :sigh:

SueDB

Post by SueDB » Wed Dec 24, 2014 12:25 pm

Then tell them that the Catholic Bible predates the KJV by quite a bit.

"She blinded me with science and hit me with technology."

“If You're Not In The Obit, Eat Breakfast”

Remember, Orly NEVAH disappoints!

ZekeB

Post by ZekeB » Wed Dec 24, 2014 1:18 pm

Landover Baptist agrees with realist. If Landover sez it's true, then it's true.

Ano, jsou opravdové. - Stormy Daniels

Nech mě domluvit! - Orly Taitz

Suranis

Post by Suranis » Wed Dec 24, 2014 1:49 pm

There was even a Catholic ENGLISH translation of the Bible 30 years before the KJV.

BillTheCat

Post by BillTheCat » Wed Dec 24, 2014 2:21 pm

I am utterly stunned that this was published by Newsweek. Last time I checked in with that rag they had gone full RWNJ after dumping the print version.

Kudos to them!

Kurt Eichwald is a brave man -- cue the Xians calling him a spawn of the devil.

Yep, right on cue, God's Gentle People (TM) are dismissing the author as a hack, saying no other biblical scholars support him, he set up a strawman (with actual words from the book - SO STRAW-Y! lol), and it's the worst article on the bible they've ever read.

'But I don't want to go among mad people,' said Alice. 'Oh, you can't help that,' said the cat. 'We're all mad here.'
-Lewis Carroll

Kriselda Gray
Location: FEMA Camp 2112 - a joint project of the U.S. and Canada

Post by Kriselda Gray » Wed Dec 24, 2014 2:37 pm

I've read a couple of Eichwald's books and was quite impressed - this should be Ann interesting article

Ignorance and prejudice and fear walk hand in hand... - "Witch Hunt" by Rush

SCMP = SovCits/Militias/Patriots.

Thor promised to slay the Ice Giants
God promised to quell all evil
-----
I'm not seeing any Ice Giants...

Suranis

Post by Suranis » Wed Dec 24, 2014 2:46 pm

One of the criticisms I would make is that he is well over the line in his hatred on Constantine. People didn't get to be Roman Emperor without stabbing a few backs but Constantine was FAR from the worst Emperor the Romans had. However the article goes way over the top on hating literally every move the guy made. It drips hate for the guy when talking about him.

Also it flatly says the Gospel of Barnabas was a real gospel from the time but Its pretty much accepted its a much later forgery. Unless I'm thinking of another one....

ducktape

Post by ducktape » Wed Dec 24, 2014 2:59 pm

I suspect his real issue with Constantine is actually with the people who claim that he was a saint and inspired by God for all of these things. No, just a typical Roman emperor holding on to power.

rpenner

Post by rpenner » Wed Dec 24, 2014 3:08 pm

Newton also hated Constantine's Nicene changes.

JSL515

Post by JSL515 » Wed Dec 24, 2014 4:19 pm

A fascinating read. I could hear Rudy's head exploding. Thanks to ducktape.

Reminds me of a friend. I have always described him as having both towering faith and towering intellect. Army surgeon, scientist, but with a strong Christian faith. I learned much about Christianity from him. This article got me thinking about him and discussions we had about biblical inconsistencies and contradictions. He was way ahead of me and had, over the years, attempted to learn to read the early Greek of the earliest iterations of the New Testament.

BillTheCat

Post by BillTheCat » Wed Dec 24, 2014 4:31 pm

If anyone is interested in further reading of this sort of thing, I highly recommend Reza Aslan's "Zealot".

'But I don't want to go among mad people,' said Alice. 'Oh, you can't help that,' said the cat. 'We're all mad here.'
-Lewis Carroll

Suranis

Post by Suranis » Wed Dec 24, 2014 4:49 pm

A fascinating read. I could hear Rudy's head exploding. Thanks to ducktape.

Reminds me of a friend. I have always described him as having both towering faith and towering intellect. Army surgeon, scientist, but with a strong Christian faith. I learned much about Christianity from him. This article got me thinking about him and discussions we had about biblical inconsistencies and contradictions. He was way ahead of me and had, over the years, attempted to learn to read the early Greek of the earliest iterations of the New Testament.

Yeah, it actually got me remembering too, about the discussions we had in the seminary about all the inconsistencies in the bible. Some of them were actually pretty fun. Especially when you had someone in the room who loved Latin and was pretty fluent...

RTH10260

Re: Newsweek's "The Bible: So Misunderstood It's a Sin"

Post by RTH10260 » Mon Dec 10, 2018 5:06 am

I think this news article from August last year, again from Newsweek, matches the intent of the OP:
ISRAEL: ARCHAEOLOGISTS HUNTING THE ARK OF THE COVENANT BELIEVE ANCIENT RELIC MAY HAVE HELD PAGAN GODS
BY CALLUM PATON ON 8/30/17 AT 10:34 AM

Archaeologists tracing the origins of the Ark of the Covenant, a lost biblical chest that is said to contain ancient relics, believe it may have also carried pagan idols thousands of years old.

The team from Tel Aviv University and College de France have been excavating the town of Kiriath Jearim where the Old Testament states the ark containing the Ten Commandments was kept for 20 years before it arrived in Jerusalem, Haaretz reported.
:snippity:
The archaeologists have uncovered a huge retaining wall at Kiriath Jearim which, judging from the pottery shards that surround it, dates from the 8th or 7th century B.C. The terrace that would have sat above the wall, according to contemporary architectural styles, could have supported one of the most important cultic centers in Israel, with a temple that would have rivaled the Temple in Jerusalem.

“It is possible that the ark stayed much longer at Kiriath Jearim, and it was only Josiah who brought it to Jerusalem when he wanted to centralize all cultic and political activity there, and his scribes justified it by writing the story about David taking the ark,” Professor Thomas Römer, an expert in Hebrew at the College de France explains.

It now seems possible that before its arrival in Jerusalem, the ark was associated with religious practices far removed from Judaism.

Early Israelites from the 8th and 7th century B.C. worshipped Canaanite gods like Baal and El. Baal, who was worshipped as a bull statue, lends his name to the alternative title for Kiriath Jearim: Kiriath Ball. Contemporary evidence from around the Middle East shows that polytheist nomads like the Israelites prior to monotheism were likely to carry their idols in boxes like the ark.

https://www.newsweek.com/archaeologists ... ols-656955

RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 » Mon Dec 10, 2018 5:09 am

Christian / Evangelical minds :explode:

I guess the Jews will have a more pragmatic approch to the problem-

Lani

Post by Lani » Mon Dec 10, 2018 5:44 am

Well, the 10 commandments make it clear that there are other gods. "Thou shalt have no other gods before Me."

Insert signature here: ____________________________________________________

Sam the Centipede

Post by Sam the Centipede » Mon Dec 10, 2018 6:50 am

Lani wrote:
Mon Dec 10, 2018 5:44 am
Well, the 10 commandments make it clear that there are other gods. "Thou shalt have no other gods before Me."
:think: Er, not exactly ... it makes it clear that they believed there were other gods.

I have seen no good evidence of the existence of any gods, past or present.

Lani

Post by Lani » Mon Dec 10, 2018 6:53 am

Agree.

Insert signature here: ____________________________________________________

Suranis

Post by Suranis » Mon Dec 10, 2018 1:03 pm

No it was a commandment to not adopt the religions of the people around them as their own. Which the Isrealites did with reckless abandon as they liked worshiping Idols. A central theme of the first part of the old testament is conflict with other nations and defending oneself against their influence.

The other interpretation is not to worship spirits, such as angels, over the Surpreme God. The word uses "Elohim" mens supreme creator and Judge of the world.

Return to “Religion”