Pope Francis

Tiredretiredlawyer
Occupation: Permanent probationary slave to 2 dogs, 1 cat, and 1 horse

Re: Pope Francis

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer » Wed Mar 15, 2017 3:09 pm

So cool, Roadie!!!!

"The people must know before they can act, and there is no educator to compare with the press." - Ida B. Wells-Barnett, journalist, newspaper editor, suffragist, feminist and founder with others of NAACP.

Sugar Magnolia

Post by Sugar Magnolia » Wed Mar 15, 2017 3:11 pm

RoadScholar wrote:
Sugar Magnolia wrote:The work is beautiful RS, I'm just sorry it had to be painted over. (I know you said gilded, but it's a covering over the wood.)

Did you do anything with the leftover scrap pieces?
The Society for Colonial Wars of Maryland

http://www.scwmd.org/events/

wanted the Liberty Tree scraps back. So no. And the Liberty Tree root wood was tremendously unexciting, being Poplar. Just a light vaguely greenish close-grained wood.

I do however still have some pieces of the Wye Oak.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wye_Oak

That's what the stained bases for the ball-and-crosses were made from... so the gifts contain wood from the two most historically significant trees in Maryland history! When they fell, each was well over 400 years older than America. Would you like a little piece?

The scwmd.org link above really is worth a look.
From the Wye Oak wiki link "Wood was also distributed to some 40 artists and craftspersons who have used the tree's remains to create carvings, sculptures, oil paintings, a 3-dimensional collage, furnishings, and serving pieces.[14] The Maryland Department of Natural Resources created a gallery of these works that travelled to sites around the state and which can be viewed online.[15]" Did you have a piece in the exhibit? I was disappointed the link for the online exhibit is a 404 error.

jmj

Post by jmj » Wed Mar 15, 2017 3:14 pm

Very cool RoadScholar. And since I'm a woodworker and always interested in the construction aspect: am I correct in assuming that the crosses are half-lapped?

RoadScholar

Post by RoadScholar » Wed Mar 15, 2017 3:40 pm

jmj wrote:Very cool RoadScholar. And since I'm a woodworker and always interested in the construction aspect: am I correct in assuming that the crosses are half-lapped?
You are correct sir. :thumbs:

The bitterest truth is healthier than the sweetest lie.
X3

RoadScholar

Post by RoadScholar » Wed Mar 15, 2017 3:41 pm

Sugar Magnolia wrote:
RoadScholar wrote:
Sugar Magnolia wrote:The work is beautiful RS, I'm just sorry it had to be painted over. (I know you said gilded, but it's a covering over the wood.)
Did you do anything with the leftover scrap pieces?
:snippity:

I do however still have some pieces of the Wye Oak.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wye_Oak
... so the gifts contain wood from the two most historically significant trees in Maryland history! When they fell, each was well over 400 years older than America. Would you like a little piece?
From the Wye Oak wiki link "Wood was also distributed to some 40 artists and craftspersons who have used the tree's remains to create carvings, sculptures, oil paintings, a 3-dimensional collage, furnishings, and serving pieces.[14] The Maryland Department of Natural Resources created a gallery of these works that travelled to sites around the state and which can be viewed online.[15]" Did you have a piece in the exhibit?
No. My application for the wood was denined. The pieces I have are from a sculptor who had me rough out some material for her project and she let me keep the scraps. My application was for ~100 board feet (from a tree that had thousands) to retain in my shop to be incorporated for the balance of my working life into such historically significant projects as our shop may encounter. I offered to give such clients a certificate saying "Part of the material for this project came from the historic Wye Oak." No dice.

As luck would have it, that's exactly what later happened with the Liberty Crosses.

The universe is a funny place.

X3

RVInit

Post by RVInit » Wed Mar 15, 2017 7:39 pm

Nice work, RS!

"I know that human being and fish can coexist peacefully"
--- George W Bush

ImageImage

Reality Check

Post by Reality Check » Wed Mar 15, 2017 11:04 pm

RS :thumbs:

"“If you’re not outraged, you’re not paying attention.”

Heather Heyer, November 2016

Notorial Dissent

Post by Notorial Dissent » Thu Mar 16, 2017 12:45 am

The wood working is incredible.

The fact that you sincerely and wholeheartedly believe that the “Law of Gravity” is unconstitutional and a violation of your sovereign rights, does not absolve you of adherence to it.

Sunrise

Post by Sunrise » Thu Mar 16, 2017 12:46 am

Beautiful, RS! :thumbs:

"I am no longer accepting the things I cannot change. I am changing the things I cannot accept."
Angela Davis

TollandRCR

Post by TollandRCR » Thu Mar 16, 2017 8:50 am

I followed the link to The Society of Colonial Wars in the State of Maryland http://www.scwmd.org/events/, from which I went to several sites about the historic St. Mary's City. I was not aware of the extent of persecution of Roman Catholics back in Europe. I did know enough to deny that the Pilgrims came to North America in search of religious freedom.
Off Topic
Every time I read about religion I wonder what our world would be like if the monotheistic religions had never arisen.

“The truth is, we know so little about life, we don’t really know what the good news is and what the bad news is.” Kurt Vonnegut

Northland10

Post by Northland10 » Thu Mar 16, 2017 8:55 am

TollandRCR wrote:
Off Topic
Every time I read about religion I wonder what our world would be like if the monotheistic religions had never arisen.
Off Topic
We would probably found another club to use in the pursuit of power and to pursecute others.

North-land: of the family 10
UCC 1-106 Plural is Singular, Singular is Plural.

Suranis

Post by Suranis » Sun Aug 26, 2018 10:29 am

Pope Francis is in Ireland for a couple of days. He is currently celebrating Mass at the Phoenix park in Dublin before he flies out. All I'll say is that there are more people there than at TWITUS's inauguration :twisted:

Irony can be pretty ironic sometimes.

Suranis

Post by Suranis » Sat Sep 08, 2018 11:08 am

Ok, I've been avoiding talking about this long enough. I think it was, all in all, a pretty sucessful visit. He was really there for the international conferance of Families, and that set the tone of the visit. What happened is that he arrived, met President Higgins, Went to Dublin Castle for an official reception where our PM Leo Varadkar made what I thought was a very good speech. Then he went for a drive around Dublin city center, where there was a pretty good crowd but the streets were not lined with people in any sense. I'm not going top pull a trump and say that there were massive amounts of people out and about to see him, as stretches of the streets were empty. but I thought there was a decent crowd.

He went to the Pro cathedral for a service where some couples from people who had been married 50 years to people who were getting married next week went up and made a speech, and then he spoke to each of them privatly. He then spoke for half an hour on marriage on how difficult but worthwhile it was. He then went for more street driving, and he stopped at the Matt Talbot center, which was great as people felt that in the previous visit Pope JPII had ignored it, so that helped erase that.

Then he paid a visit to the Free food center in Smithfield that is run by the Capucian Firiars. They provide 800 free meals every single day for the poor. They turn No-one away. No-one. Of course they have volunteers helping them out every day as well as the Pope achnolaged. But I thought it was fantastic that he gave attention to their great work, as they have been doing this since the 1960s.

Then there was a concert in Croke Park, the sports Statium. In between the musical acts, Families who had been at the conferance came up and spoke, and again he spoke to them afterwards. There was a large cross section of families from all over, from Refugees from Syria to afluent people from the US. The Musical acts were a mixed bag, but the crowd was into it and the statium seemed full.

Next day he flew to Knock shrine, and then back to Dublin for a Mass in the Pheonix Park. They gave out 500K tickets for the mass, and despite it bieng truly a miserable day I'd estimate most of them were there. And then off back to Rome for another conferance.

What prompted me to write this is that I was talking to the owner of a Chinese Resterauntg I go to once a week yesterday, and she said all she had heard of the visit is everyone in the media ranting the next day about how much it cost. She had no idea about the Conferance of Families or the visits he had made. And that pretty much was the tone of the media coverage when he wasnt actually on screen talking or doing something. It was Abuseabuseabuseabuseabuseabuse, 100% the day before it. But it got more and more shrill as the actual day wore on, becasue the impression he was giving was not the ogre they were trying to paint him as at all. So the fact that they had to keep the demonising going after the fact shows that it was in fact a pretty succesful visit. And believe me, I'm actually toning the coverage DOWN, not exagerating anything.

The week after I was sitting near some young trendies who were yammering about the cost, and then one of them stuttered - actually stuttered - as she said "well you know, despite the fact that he he he is a a good man..." And I smiled. The visit was so successful even the brainwashed can't deny that, no matter how much they want to. Sometimes you just have to celebrate getting through the mind fog a little bit.

TollandRCR

Post by TollandRCR » Sat Sep 08, 2018 11:25 am

Thank you, Suranis. Thank you to the people who provide those meals. This matters, whether by Catholic or other Christian grounds

“The truth is, we know so little about life, we don’t really know what the good news is and what the bad news is.” Kurt Vonnegut

kate520

Post by kate520 » Sat Sep 08, 2018 5:49 pm

I’m not sure what’s going on in the latest US scandal, I’m avoiding it. How can Francis be responsible? This has been going on for decades, he’s only been the Pope for a few years.

I will always love this Pope. Your report makes me happy. Thanks, Suranis.

DEFEND DEMOCRACY

RoadScholar

Post by RoadScholar » Sat Sep 08, 2018 9:22 pm

I love Papa Francis. He’s just so... Christian.

X3

TollandRCR

Post by TollandRCR » Sat Sep 08, 2018 9:35 pm

RoadScholar wrote:
Sat Sep 08, 2018 9:22 pm
I love Papa Francis. He’s just so... Christian.
Yes!!! One of the best things that could be said about him.

Suranis

Post by Suranis » Sat Sep 08, 2018 10:15 pm

kate520 wrote:
Sat Sep 08, 2018 5:49 pm
I’m not sure what’s going on in the latest US scandal, I’m avoiding it. How can Francis be responsible? This has been going on for decades, he’s only been the Pope for a few years.

I will always love this Pope. Your report makes me happy. Thanks, Suranis.
Well, if its the same story, Wonkette had an in depth report.

OH SHIT Pope Francis Covered Up Cardinal's ... Consensual Adult Gay Stuff? Oh.
A rightwing former Vatican official has written a great big J'accuse letter claiming Pope Francis knew the former Archbishop of Washington DC had been accused of sexual abuse of seminarians and young priests, but nonetheless tried to rehabilitate him. That's pretty awful if true, and likely to result in yet more ugliness and political power plays in the Vatican. Of course, as with anything in the Holy Mother Church Yr Wonkette left after high school, it's a far more complicated matter than the accusation, because it's Vatican politics, and that gets ugly and twisted fast, too. And to think it's the Eastern Orthodoxers that get called Byzantine.

Here are the basics, according to the letter published Saturday by former Papal Nuncio to the US Carlo Maria Viganò (a nuncio is like an ambassador, but all Churchy): Pope Francis and his predecessor, Pope Benedict, knew that Cardinal Theodore McCarrick had been accused of having "shared his bed with seminarians," as Viganò puts it so quaintly, for years. They were all adults, but like any sexual harassment, an archbishop summoning students to his beach house is hardly a consensual relationship. Last summer, when allegations surfaced that McCarrick had also abused two minors, Francis accepted his resignation as a Cardinal and suspended him from pastoral duties while his case is investigated by the Church (the statute of limitations on McCarrick's alleged abuse of minors has passed, so no criminal charges).

Viganò accused the Vatican of covering up for McCarrick's abuse of adult seminarians for too long, and says Benedict (he's a big fan of Benedict) justly stripped him of clerical authority, sentencing him to a life of "penance and prayer" in 2009 or 2010, but then Francis tried to rehabilitate him by allowing him to lecture and go to conferences. Viganò also hints this was a reward for McCarrick's help in getting Francis elected pope. The letter doesn't suggest Francis had any knowledge of the allegations involving minors.

But this is also where the Vatican politics and American culture war politics come into it: Viganò is a screaming rightwing shit-stirrer who'd like nothing more than to see Francis replaced with a pope who'll crack down on women and gays and abortion, and stop all that pussified stuff about helping the poor and downtrodden. Viganò comes off like Ted Cruz, only whiny in ecclesiastical Latin. He's the guy who arranged for that surprise meeting between Francis and Kim Davis, the fundie county clerk who refused to let gays get married. Francis shitcanned him as nuncio after that, and Viganò has long had an axe to grind -- so it makes sense that he's "regretfully" calling on Francis to resign the papacy.

Francis didn't respond in any detail to the charges as he was flying back from Ireland yesterday, although he did say, "This is a part of the statement on McCarrick. Study it, and then I'll speak." He also said the letter "speaks for itself," and implied what it says is also not terribly good about Viganò:

"I read the statement this morning and, sincerely, I must say this to you and anyone interested: Read that statement attentively and make your own judgment," Francis told reporters, according to the Catholic News Service.

We did read it, and the descriptions of it as an anti-gay "manifesto" are, if anything, not doing it justice. It's a rant, in the sort of florid super-conservative Catholic style my late mother would have appreciated, like this stuff
Theres links to the Letter and some other stuff in Wonkettes article and theres more at the link.
Edit: Stuff deleted because, really, who cares.
So read the wonkette article and the letter that it links to and judge for yourself.

Suranis

Post by Suranis » Sat Sep 08, 2018 10:58 pm

Anyway, this is the website of the Capucian enter that pope Francis visited, and you can visit it for further information if you are interested. This is what is on the front page.

S
UPPORTERS, Because of YOUR GOODNESS During the preceding year we had enough resources to Provide 398,000 units of service and we did not have to cut services or turn anyone away who needed help. Our day starts early in Bow Street and when the staff on the early shift arrive to prepare for the day, the queue is already forming. People are often in a distressed state and we respond as best we can to the needs of each individual with respect and kindness. Breakfast is served between 7am and 11.30am and we normally have between 250/300 people.

With extra on a Wednesday, people on the margins come to collect groceries also have breakfast. It is easy to spot the “rough sleepers” - those who have spent the night on the streets or slept in cardboard boxes. In an effort to regain their dignity the rough sleepers are usually the first to put their names down for the showers/fresh clothing while others are so dispirited and exhausted they just need a safe place to get in out of the weather and rest before they have their breakfast and face another day. Our busiest morning is Wednesday and the staff/volunteers arrive at around 6 am to make up food parcels for about 1,400 people who need help with their grocery supplies. Today’s economic reality is that people have to choose between paying their Rent, ESB/Gas etc. or paying for food. (We also provide 350 parcels each week from the friary in Kilkenny). At about 11.30 we close for a short time to prepare for the busiest part of our day and get ready to provide a full dinner for 5/600 people.

Clinics - While the main purpose of the Centre is food maintenance, we have consistently endeavoured to improve our response to the emerging needs by adding extra dimensions to the service and help people who have difficulty accessing mainstream services. We are eternally grateful that as well as our collaboration with the Safetynet Primary Care Service who provide 4 GP Medical Clinics each week, we have other Professionals who offer their services on a completely “Pro Bono” basis. These include two Dental and two Chiropody clinics each week, an Optical Screening Clinic every fortnight and Haircuts (Haircuts 4 the Homeless) every month. Our latest additions include a Cervical Smear Screening service and a COPD and Diabetic Clinic run by the Mater Hospital.

Clothing and Practical Assistance – Apart from food aid and thanks to your goodness, a sizable portion of our expenditure is on footwear, socks, underwear, t-shirts, emergency rainwear, tents and sleeping bags, personal hygiene products, hospital packs, hats, scarves, emergency transport costs, assistance for bereaved families etc. baby supplies and children’s essentials. While we distribute donated clothing, for health and safety reasons, we prefer to supply new clothing where possible.

Child Poverty/Emergence of the New Poor - While it breaks our hearts to see anyone in need of food in 2017, it is harder for the families with children who are rushing to make it for dinner because they have no money, or a home with proper facilities to cook for themselves. For us Capuchins the welfare of families is a priority and for this purpose we established a designated “Family Area” section in the Dining Hall where children and their parents can enjoy a nutritious meal in safety.

In contrast to the “INACTION OF THE GOVERNMENT” to the Homeless Crisis, we Capuchins are astounded at the level of KINDNESS BY OUR SUPPORTERS who help keep this lifeline for people in need going. Given the current situation which many campaigners are calling to be upgraded from a “Homeless/ Housing Crisis” to a “National Emergency”, it looks like we will have to continue with this apostolate for some time to come. On behalf of the countless people in need who have availed of the service and the Irish Capuchin Franciscan Order, our sincere thanks and prayers that God and St. Francis reward you with many blessings.
http://www.capuchindaycentre.ie/Capuchi ... eople.html

Return to “Religion”