August 6, 1945 - 69 years ago

Sterngard Friegen

Re: August 6, 1945 - 69 years ago

Post by Sterngard Friegen » Sat Aug 15, 2015 5:21 pm

Glad this is still active. I missed it earlier in the week.

One question that is not satisfactorily answered for me is why Truman did not pick a military target such as Tokyo bay.

ZekeB

Post by ZekeB » Sat Aug 15, 2015 5:55 pm

I suspect it was because of the fact that military personnel were considered by the Japanese to be expendable. Civilians? Maybe not so much. Just my feeling, mind you.

Ano, jsou opravdové. - Stormy Daniels

Foggy

Post by Foggy » Sat Aug 15, 2015 6:30 pm

I disagree on that, Zeke.

Tokyo had been firebombed extensively. It was already a spent target. The people planning to drop the bomb wanted to see what it would do to an untouched area. Plus, there were about 30,000 military troops in Hiroshima, if memory serves.

They left Hiroshima and Nagasaki alone, while firebombing many other cities. When they dropped the bomb on Hiroshima, they got to see the full extent of the damage caused by the bomb. That's the explanation I've always heard.

Thank you, Tollie, for your contributions to this thread. They're painful to read but absolutely necessary. I would seriously hesitate before visiting Hiroshima. I don't know how I'd handle it emotionally. Like I said in prior posts, I know way more about it than is really healthy to know.

"When my fist clenches, crack it open,
before I use it and lose my cool,
and when I smile, tell me some bad news,
before I laugh, and act like a fool."
- The Who

TollandRCR

Post by TollandRCR » Tue Apr 19, 2016 12:15 pm

The Japan Times Opinion April 16, 2016 Obama has unfinished business in Hiroshima by Jeff Kingston, Director of Asian Studies, Temple University Japan
Alexis Dudden, professor of history at the University of Connecticut, says Obama, “should visit for humanity’s sake in terms of the value of learning from the past to make the present and future a slightly better place to live.” And visiting “would give Obama and the United States credibility to move forward in setting the tone for discussions of nuclear nonproliferation, weapons reduction and, ultimately, their abolition.”

[Jennifer] Lind [Dartmouth College] would have Obama miss this historic opportunity next month, invoking the possibility of an angry domestic backlash. But Americans will get over it because laying a wreath at Hiroshima is not about rewriting the history of Pearl Harbor, ignoring mistreatment of prisoners of war or downplaying Japan’s Asian rampage.

And just imagine the global firestorm that would be ignited by such a solemn gesture. Obama can shock people around the world — in all the right ways.

He need not offer an apology to enhance the dignity of America and burnish its international stature; the symbolism of just visiting Hiroshima will sanctify and justify Obama’s visit.

Mr. President, the time has come.

“The truth is, we know so little about life, we don’t really know what the good news is and what the bad news is.” Kurt Vonnegut

Return to “Military History”