Today in History

Whatever4

Today in History

Post by Whatever4 » Mon Jul 01, 2013 8:01 pm

Go TR!

"[Moderate] doesn't mean you don't have views. It just means your views aren't predictable ideologically one way or the other, and you're trying to follow the facts where they lead and reach your own conclusions."
-- Sen. King (R-ME)

Volkonski

Today in History

Post by Volkonski » Wed Jul 03, 2013 3:08 pm

Snip----Constantly amazes me...a Serbian nationalist shoots and Austrian archduke, so logically Germany has to invade Belgium. :-?It's logical enough. Austria attacked Serbia. Russia came to Serbia's aid. German then declared war on Russia to support Austria. France then went to war against Germany to support Russia. Belgium had the misfortune to be located on the best invasion route between Germany and France. :( Then Britain declared war on Germany to support Belgium.It was a chain reaction of mutual defense treaties made worse by rigid mobilization railway timetables. No one dared wait for diplomacy for fear the enemy would mobilize and attack first.

Image“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.”
― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace

TollandRCR

Today in History

Post by TollandRCR » Wed Jul 03, 2013 4:36 pm

How did Bloch envision aircraft playing a role? How about the war at sea?

“The truth is, we know so little about life, we don’t really know what the good news is and what the bad news is.” Kurt Vonnegut

ZekeB

Today in History

Post by ZekeB » Wed Jul 03, 2013 6:39 pm

Sickles should have brought his leg with him.

Ano, jsou opravdové. - Stormy Daniels

Maybenaut

Today in History

Post by Maybenaut » Wed Jul 10, 2013 3:51 pm

In 1925, the Scopes “Monkey Trial” commences in Dayton, Ohio Tennessee. FIFY

A Legal Lohengrin

Today in History

Post by A Legal Lohengrin » Thu Jul 11, 2013 3:00 pm

By committing murder and treason, Burr sets standards for the office of the Vice Presidency that Spiro Agnew finds hard to live up to 200 years later.While I agree about the comparison with Spiro Agnew, the treason case against Burr was remarkably flimsy. There is little evidence of him taking any material steps toward furthering the conspiracy named after him.

esseff44

Today in History

Post by esseff44 » Thu Jul 11, 2013 4:47 pm

I was just catching up on this thread and realized you have been including just about all my ancestors one way or another and also those of all those people I grew up with. My great-great grandfather was an 18-year-old private when he was captured at Gettysburg. His brother, was captured, too. Also, many great-uncles and many more relations one way or another killed, wounded or captured. I didn't know when I first went to Harper's Ferry that they had all been there before. But I gotten such an eerie feeling, I knew something was connected somehow.Then, all that talk about Burr and the conspiracy involved more of my relatives. They were all scoundrels..the founding fathers...and I always laugh when they are spoken of as one would speak of saints. Burr nearly won the presidency and Jefferson regarded him as a rival he would have been glad to be rid of. The treason charges were very flimsy and the Chief Justice saw through them. Jefferson claimed executive privilege and refused to release evidence that may have cleared up the charges. At any rate, things are not all what they seemed and the rivalry and backstabbing was intense. They were anything but saints. Still, they came up with a pretty good document as a backbone on which to build a government even though many of them did not really believe in all those ideas about equality or who should be considered equal. :-$ :-$ :-$ The US would have a very different looking map if Burr and his co-conspirators had succeeded and they came close except for an encrypted letter that went astray...or maybe it was leaked...[/break1]umkc.edu/faculty/projects/ftrials/burr/burrletter.html]http://law2.umkc.edu/faculty/projects/f ... etter.htmlYep, my ancestor had a pivotal role in all that and lived to write a 3-volume-memoir I am still trying to get through. He was known as the general who never won a battle and never lost a courts-martial. :lol: :lol: Sometimes, I notice when I write, I am channeling his 18th century style and using words I didn't know that I knew. Then, I find they were words he used in describing all the politics and military doings of the day.

A Legal Lohengrin

Today in History

Post by A Legal Lohengrin » Thu Jul 11, 2013 6:35 pm

Jefferson claimed executive privilege and refused to release evidence that may have cleared up the charges. At any rate, things are not all what they seemed and the rivalry and backstabbing was intense. They were anything but saints. Still, they came up with a pretty good document as a backbone on which to build a government even though many of them did not really believe in all those ideas about equality or who should be considered equal. :-$ :-$ :-$One of the strongest endorsements of the Constitution I can think of is that it actually survived the Presidencies of many of the Founding Fathers, who predicted atrocious behavior by Presidents and Congresses and considered how to prevent these people from destroying the new Republic and then, once they took office, did exactly the atrocious things they predicted they would do, and the Republic survived. Exhibit A: John Adams.

Joseph Robidoux III

Today in History

Post by Joseph Robidoux III » Fri Jul 12, 2013 6:38 pm

July 12, 1979

Thirty-four years ago today, the White Sox held the most infamous promotion in baseball history. It was dubbed "Disco Demolition Night."

The plan was to blow up a crate of disco records on the field at Comiskey Park between games of a day-night doubleheader with the Tigers. The crate was indeed blown up, but all hell broke loose after that. Watch:"

[/break1]cbssports.com/mlb/blog/eye-on-baseball/22734073/happy-34th-anniversary-disco-demolition-night]http://www.cbssports.com/mlb/blog/eye-o ... tion-nightI have to take issue with the CBS claim "most infamous promotion in baseball history". IMHO nothing will probably ever top the events of "Ten Cent Beer Night" in Cleveland on June 4, 1974. The club intended to offer as much eight-ounce Stroh's beer as fans could drink—and for only 10 cents a pop.Imagine yourself as the Cleveland Indians VP for Public Relations thinking what could possibly go wrong with this idea?

Meanwhile, the intoxicated crowd continuously misbehaved.

This included a woman running onto the Indians on deck circle and flashing her breasts and trying to kiss the umpire, and a naked man running onto the field and sliding into second base as Grieve hit his second home run of the game.

However, after nine innings of consuming amazing amounts of alcohol, the situation took a turn for the worse.There are valid reasons why Major League Baseball has rules involving the sale of alcoholic beverages at MLB events. I suggest not consuming beverages of any kind if you go to the link.

[/break1]com/articles/142952-ten-cent-beer-night-the-worst-idea-ever]http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1429 ... -idea-ever

Dolly

Today in History

Post by Dolly » Fri Jul 12, 2013 6:59 pm

Off Topic
I remember they had 10 cent beer nights at Hockey games in Texas.The Black Hawks and the Fort Worth Wings/Texans had a legendary rivalry as they competed in the CHL, complete with bench clearing brawls and fights in the stands, including the legendary 10 cent beer night near-riot in Fort Worth in 1978[/break1]wikipedia.org/wiki/Dallas_Black_Hawks]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dallas_Black_Hawks

Avatar by Tal Peleg Art of Makeup https://www.facebook.com/TalPelegMakeUp

Foggy

Today in History

Post by Foggy » Sat Jul 13, 2013 6:37 am

However, after nine innings of consuming amazing amounts of alcohol, the situation took a turn for the worse.Situations don't consume alcohol; people consume alcohol. Corporal Anal Language Weenie Third Class thinks he has uncovered a dangling participial clause. Gotta keep a sharp eye on them things.

The point of no return is no longer even visible in your rearview mirror. :-

Return to “Military History”