Battle of Grunwald

GhostOfSolomon

Battle of Grunwald

Post by GhostOfSolomon » Fri Sep 29, 2017 10:24 am

As an American with Polish heritage it is quite hard to trace my European ancestry. Many of the old family records were kept in the churches in Poland which were mostly burned and destroyed in the World Wars.

But because Polish last names have a territorial meaning, I am able to track and see that the Battle of Grunwald would have been fought on my family names "territory" in Poland.

The 15th century war between the Teutonic Knights and the people of Poland/Lithuania was one of the largest in Medieval Europe. It is regarded as the most important victory in the histories of Poland and Lithuania.

I proudly own a replica of this famous painting done by Jan Matejko.

During WW2 the Nazis tried to systematically destroy Polish cultural artifacts. This painting was #2 on their most wanted list. Fortunately it was hidden away thruout the war and preserved.

"You probably heard we ain't in the prisoner-takin' business; we in the killin' Nazi business. And cousin, business is a-boomin'."
-- Lt. Aldo Raine

#IngloriousBastard
#Wolverine

Suranis

Re: Battle of Grunwald

Post by Suranis » Fri Sep 29, 2017 10:31 am

That's a really good painting.

"I think its pretty troubling when a backyard decoration comes out swinging harder against Nazis than the President of the United States." - Stephen Colbert

Return to “Military History”