Today in History

Welsh Dragon

Today in History

Post #76 by Welsh Dragon » Wed Jul 17, 2013 9:13 pm

"Wrong Way" Corrigan has been a bit of a hero of mine since I was a kid.

Joseph Robidoux III

Today in History

Post #77 by Joseph Robidoux III » Wed Jul 17, 2013 9:20 pm

"Wrong Way" Corrigan has been a bit of a hero of mine since I was a kid.

I believe he was a hero of Minnesota Vikings defensive lineman Jim Marshall also, too.

Foggy

Today in History

Post #78 by Foggy » Thu Jul 18, 2013 5:19 am

I don't follow football today ... but I remember that play.

A yoctosecond is a septillionth of a second (10-24).

ZekeB

Today in History

Post #79 by ZekeB » Thu Jul 18, 2013 10:14 am

I can't watch football today. It's almost like watching a soap opera. The announcers make it so. I wait for the results. I don't remember that play in particular. I do remember the entire Vikings team as being that way. :mrgreen:

Foggy

Today in History

Post #80 by Foggy » Thu Jul 18, 2013 12:33 pm

[offtopic]

I can't watch football today. It's almost like watching a soap opera. The announcers make it so.

Who needs announcers? For the last ten years that I did watch the game, I just printed out rosters and turned off the sound. Back then I knew as much football as most announcers.[/offtopic]

A yoctosecond is a septillionth of a second (10-24).

Joseph Robidoux III

Today in History

Post #81 by Joseph Robidoux III » Wed Jul 24, 2013 10:49 pm

Today is the 30th anniversary of the Tar Wars baseball game...[spoil]...when George Brett showed his sensitive side.Video available at the link. [/break1]com/sports/2013-07-23/royals-brett-embraces-role-pine-tar-game]http://cjonline.com/sports/2013-07-23/r ... e-tar-game[/spoil]

magdalen77

Today in History

Post #83 by magdalen77 » Fri Jul 26, 2013 11:22 pm

Happy Birthday Mick Jagger

[spoil]Mick is 70 today.

[/break1]newyorker.com/online/blogs/culture/2013/07/happy-birthday-mick-jagger.html]http://www.newyorker.com/online/blogs/c ... agger.html

We is gettin' old.[/spoil]

I did not know that Mick and I shared a birthday. I knew Kevin Spacey and I did. In fact he was born on the exact same day I was.

Joseph Robidoux III

Today in History

Post #84 by Joseph Robidoux III » Sat Jul 27, 2013 12:21 am

What a draaaaaaag it is getting ollllllllllllllld.

GreatGrey

Today in History

Post #85 by GreatGrey » Fri Aug 09, 2013 1:01 pm

NagasakiAugust 9, 1945

I am not "someone upthread".
Trump needs to be smashed into some kind of inedible orange pâté.

Joseph Robidoux III

Today in History

Post #86 by Joseph Robidoux III » Tue Sep 03, 2013 12:11 am

Great moments from Birfoonistan on this date 3 years ago.viewtopic.php?p=170645#p170645I hadn't joined Fogbow yet but was posting about this on another forum and laughing at some birthers there (Hannityland).

TollandRCR

Today in History

Post #87 by TollandRCR » Tue Sep 03, 2013 9:29 am

BBC News Sept. 3, 2013 [link]Microsoft to buy Nokia's mobile phone unit,http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-23940171[/link]

Describing the deal as a "big, bold step forward", Microsoft chief executive Steve Ballmer told the BBC that his company was in the process of transforming itself from one that "was known for software and PCs, to a company that focuses on devices and services".

Nokia stock rose 45%.

“The truth is, we know so little about life, we don’t really know what the good news is and what the bad news is.” Kurt Vonnegut

DryInk

Today in History

Post #88 by DryInk » Tue Sep 03, 2013 10:13 am

Great moments from Birfoonistan on this date 3 years ago.viewtopic.php?p=170645#p170645I hadn't joined Fogbow yet but was posting about this on another forum and laughing at some birthers there (Hannityland).

For us new-timers it's fun to go back and read some of these older threads, especially when you can see john/jy1977 flailing about 3 years ago trying to make the same arguments that he's making today. I can't tell if he's just naturally obtuse and unable to learn from his mistakes, incredibly racist, mentally challenged, or trolling. Probably a little of all 4, but mostly the first 3.

Let's just assume I said something witty.

Johnny Foreigner

Today in History

Post #89 by Johnny Foreigner » Tue Sep 03, 2013 8:45 pm

It's the 74th anniversary of the follow-up to World War One, announced by Neville Chamberlain.

Roboe

Today in History

Post #90 by Roboe » Wed Sep 11, 2013 12:07 pm

Closing in on the 150th anniversary of the signing of the November constitution, which resulted in the disastrous war of 1864 between Denmark and the alliance of Prussia & Austria-Hungary. The end result of which, was the loss of 1/3 of Danish territory, the loss of the twin duchies of Schleswig & Holstein, and a battering to the Danish self-belief quite unlike any ever seen. Fortunately we were able to regain some of the territory post-WW1, but the damage was already done.

TollandRCR

Today in History

Post #91 by TollandRCR » Tue Sep 02, 2014 11:37 am

A poster on the centennial of the war that changed everything:

http://today.uconn.edu/wp-contentsrc="http://thefogbow.com/forum/uploads/2014/08/WW1-Benton-39u1-e1409342840230.jpg

“The truth is, we know so little about life, we don’t really know what the good news is and what the bad news is.” Kurt Vonnegut

ducktape

Today in History

Post #92 by ducktape » Tue Sep 02, 2014 1:01 pm

One of the wonderful things I have found as the family historian is some of the records from my grandfather and my great-uncle in WWI.

My grandfather was a sergeant in the special railroad engineering battalion that ran the trains for the AEF (and the French). I have his promotion and service records and a photograph of the unit that they took when they returned home, but even better, I have found the postcards that he sent home to his mother and his grandparents. They're mostly the "don't worry about me, I'm having a great time and am behind the lines" type of message on picture postcards showing a (B&W) French landmark. But one was quite funny. He was running trains and told his folks that he'd figured out the way to get priority for his train, every time: he'd attach a car carrying wine for the French troops, and would be waved through while everyone else was stopped to let him pass.

His six-year-younger brother was a private in the Quartermaster Corps. He bought the same packets of postcards, but never wrote on them and brought them home still bound together in their booklet.

Something that I found interesting was the short length of time that the Americans served. Both of them enlisted in the spring of 1918, and both were home and discharged by about a year later.

RTH10260

Re: Today in History

Post #93 by RTH10260 » Mon Jun 19, 2017 7:42 pm

June 19, 1867 - Emperor of Mexico executed

Austrian Archduke Ferdinand Maximilian, installed as emperor of Mexico by French Emperor Napoleon III in 1864, is executed on the orders of Benito Juarez, the president of the Mexican Republic.

In 1861, the liberal Mexican Benito Juarez became president of a country in financial ruin, and he was forced to default on his debts to European governments. In response, France, Britain, and Spain sent naval forces to Veracruz to demand reimbursement. Britain and Spain negotiated with Mexico and withdrew, but France, ruled by Napoleon III, decided to use the opportunity to carve a dependent empire out of Mexican territory. Late in 1861, a well-armed French fleet stormed Veracruz, landing a large French force and driving President Juarez and his government into retreat.

Certain that French victory would come swiftly in Mexico, 6,000 French troops under General Charles Latrille de Lorencez set out to attack Puebla de Los Angeles, a small town in east-central Mexico. From his new headquarters in the north, Juarez rounded up a rag-tag force of loyal men and sent them to Puebla. Led by Texas-born General Ignacio Zaragoza, the 2,000 Mexicans fortified the town and prepared for the French assault. On May 5, 1862, Lorencez drew his army, well-provisioned and supported by heavy artillery, before the city of Puebla and began his assault from the north. The battle lasted from daybreak to early evening, and when the French finally retreated they had lost nearly 500 soldiers to the fewer than 100 Mexicans killed.

Although not a major strategic victory in the overall war against the French, Zaragoza’s victory at Puebla represented a great moral victory for the Mexican government and symbolized the country’s ability to defend its sovereignty against threat by a powerful foreign nation. Today, Mexicans celebrate the anniversary of the Battle of Puebla as Cinco de Mayo. Six years later, under pressure from the newly reunited United States, France withdrew. Abandoned in Mexico, Emperor Maximilian was captured by Juarez’ forces and on June 19, 1867, executed.
http://www.history.com/this-day-in-hist ... o-executed

Return to “Military History”