UK - United Kingdom - England, Wales, Scotland, N. Ireland

Volkonski

Re: UK - United Kingdom - England, Wales, Scotland, N. Ireland

Post by Volkonski » Sun Jul 15, 2018 9:44 am

OMFSM! :shock:

:roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

British PM Theresa May says Trump advised her to sue the EU
British Prime Minister Theresa May has revealed the suggestion US President Donald Trump gave her last week that he claimed she found "too brutal."

"He told me to sue the EU," May told the BBC's Andrew Marr Show on Sunday. "Not go into negotiations, sue them."

:snippity:

On Sunday, May dismissed Trump's brutal suggestion, telling Marr: "Actually no, we're going into negotiations with them (the European Union). But interestingly, what the President also said at that press conference was, "Don't walk away -- don't walk away from negotiations, because then you're stuck.'"

When asked by Marr if May could trust anything Trump said, she replied: "I sit down with the President of the United States of America and we come to agreements and put them in place."

Image“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.”
― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace

Kendra

Post by Kendra » Sun Jul 15, 2018 9:48 am

:?: Did he tell her she didn't have to pay the lawyers?

Kendra

Post by Kendra » Sun Jul 15, 2018 9:49 am

Cross posting.

Prince Charles and Prince William reportedly refused to meet with President Trump during his visit to the UK, forcing the Queen to greet the president and first lady on her own.

RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 » Sun Jul 15, 2018 10:26 am

Volkonski wrote:
Sun Jul 15, 2018 9:44 am

:roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: [some removed cause I am in need of several smiley slots toooooooo !]

Sue the EU over what and in what court, ohhh please tell me dotus, please :?:

:brickwallsmall: :brickwallsmall: :brickwallsmall: :brickwallsmall: :brickwallsmall:

RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 » Sun Jul 15, 2018 10:28 am

Kendra wrote:
Sun Jul 15, 2018 9:48 am
NO, Mexico is paying for everything ;)

pipistrelle

Post by pipistrelle » Sun Jul 15, 2018 10:53 am

RTH10260 wrote:
Sun Jul 15, 2018 10:26 am
Volkonski wrote:
Sun Jul 15, 2018 9:44 am

:roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: [some removed cause I am in need of several smiley slots toooooooo !]

Sue the EU over what and in what court, ohhh please tell me dotus, please :?:

:brickwallsmall: :brickwallsmall: :brickwallsmall: :brickwallsmall: :brickwallsmall:
What we need to remember is all he knows is his family borrow-and-spend real estate business, which apparently involves lots of lawsuits. That's the "business" approach he brings to government. It's funny and terrifying at the same time. But mostly terrifying that millions thought this was a good idea and voted for him like it was prom king election.

Volkonski

Post by Volkonski » Sun Jul 15, 2018 12:13 pm

Wondered about that.

Ellen Barry

Verified account

@EllenBarryNYT
Follow Follow @EllenBarryNYT
More
Royal scoop: Prince William and Prince Charles refused to meet Donald Trump, writes the Times. Their absence "was a snub," a courtier said. "They simply refused to attend. It's a very, very unusual thing for the Queen to be there on her own."

Kendra

Post by Kendra » Sun Jul 15, 2018 12:14 pm

RTH10260 wrote:
Sun Jul 15, 2018 10:28 am
Kendra wrote:
Sun Jul 15, 2018 9:48 am
NO, Mexico is paying for everything ;)
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Volkonski

Post by Volkonski » Sun Jul 15, 2018 12:18 pm

JamieJones77

@JamieJones77
Follow Follow @JamieJones77
More
Trump retweets criminally convicted British Fascists. US ambassador questions Tommeh's imprisonment. Bannon calls Tommeh backbone of UK and practically calls for right-wing insurrection.
Trump's regime is no friend of Britain.
#TrumpUKVisit #TrumpUK #Trump
#ScotlandagainstTrump

10:52 AM - 15 Jul 2018

kate520

Post by kate520 » Sun Jul 15, 2018 1:10 pm

Dumbing down.

DEFEND DEMOCRACY

RoadScholar

Post by RoadScholar » Sun Jul 15, 2018 9:40 pm

I’m surprised Trump didn’t suggest she build a wall to separate the UK from Europe. 8-)

The bitterest truth is healthier than the sweetest lie.
X3

RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 » Sun Jul 15, 2018 9:44 pm

RoadScholar wrote:
Sun Jul 15, 2018 9:40 pm
I’m surprised Trump didn’t suggest she build a wall to separate the UK from Europe. 8-)
May could have told Trump that already the Romans built a wall to keep the ruffians north on their golf courses :lol:

Gregg

Post by Gregg » Mon Jul 16, 2018 12:58 am

I wish someone would point out that Qin Shi Huang built The Great Wall of China in 220 BC to keep the Mongols out, and not long after the Mongols took over and ruled China until the twentieth century.

Honorary Commander, 699th Airborne Assault Dachshund Regiment
Deadly Sausage Dogs from the Sky

Notorial Dissent

Post by Notorial Dissent » Mon Jul 16, 2018 1:09 am

The French built an armed fortified (battle) wall to keep the Germans out, and remember how well that worked out for them. Twice even.

The fact that you sincerely and wholeheartedly believe that the “Law of Gravity” is unconstitutional and a violation of your sovereign rights, does not absolve you of adherence to it.

Suranis

Post by Suranis » Mon Jul 16, 2018 1:19 am

Off Topic
One of the games of Civilization I most remember is one where I basically ruled Africa, and after hammering the continent under my Benevolent Tyranny I invaded Europe through the Middle east. Unfortunately the rest of the landmass didn't appreciate my peaceful intentions and united against me so I was slowly pushed back. So as I was sending my warriors off to noble deaths I build a line of fortifications roughly alone the line where the Suez Canal is today. And that line held for the next 3000 years of total war as they threw troops at it and I would ride out and massacre them and withdraw back behind the wall waiting for the next round.

So ya, Walls are gud in computer games, if part of an active defense. Of course things got more interesting when they learned how to build boats, planes and nukes...

I remember this game because it was balls to the wall survival the whole way. I had to really think though each turn and the tension of balancing development versus another military unit was really tense and exciting. I was on the defensive the whole way and just surviving to the end of the game felt like a victory.

"The devil...the prowde spirite...cannot endure to be mocked.” - Thomas Moore

Jcolvin2

Post by Jcolvin2 » Mon Jul 16, 2018 1:51 am

Gregg wrote:
Mon Jul 16, 2018 12:58 am
I wish someone would point out that Qin Shi Huang built The Great Wall of China in 220 BC to keep the Mongols out, and not long after the Mongols took over and ruled China until the twentieth century.
While initial work was done on the Great Wall in the Qin dynasty, the enemy groups lying to the north of the wall at that time were the Xiongnu people (about whom we know little). As many of the groups living in Northeast Asia were quasi-nomadic, their identities changed over time.

I do not believe the Mongols were present as a threat to China until the 12th or 13th century, when Genghis Khan was involved in fighting with the Jurchen Jin dynasty. Under Kublai Khan, the Mongols ultimately took China (and the bulk of the known world) in the latter part of the 13th century and held it for about 100 years (the Yuan dynasty). After the Yuan dynasty ended in the latter part of the 14th century, China had a homegrown set of rulers in the Ming dynasty.

From the middle of the 17th century until the early part of the 20th century, China was ruled by Manchu rulers, who came from what is now refered to as Manchuria or Dongbei (also north of the Great Wall). The Manchu are linguistically and ethnically distinct from the Mongols.

Gregg

Post by Gregg » Mon Jul 16, 2018 1:38 pm

Jcolvin2 wrote:
Mon Jul 16, 2018 1:51 am
Gregg wrote:
Mon Jul 16, 2018 12:58 am
While initial work was done on the Great Wall in the Qin dynasty, the enemy groups lying to the north of the wall at that time were the Xiongnu people (about whom we know little). As many of the groups living in Northeast Asia were quasi-nomadic, their identities changed over time.

I do not believe the Mongols were present as a threat to China until the 12th or 13th century, when Genghis Khan was involved in fighting with the Jurchen Jin dynasty. Under Kublai Khan, the Mongols ultimately took China (and the bulk of the known world) in the latter part of the 13th century and held it for about 100 years (the Yuan dynasty). After the Yuan dynasty ended in the latter part of the 14th century, China had a homegrown set of rulers in the Ming dynasty.

From the middle of the 17th century until the early part of the 20th century, China was ruled by Manchu rulers, who came from what is now refered to as Manchuria or Dongbei (also north of the Great Wall). The Manchu are linguistically and ethnically distinct from the Mongols.
Thank you, and I'm sorry for my gross oversimplification of history. I knew it was a bit more complicated than I said, but I was using a little poetic license. I didn't know that I was more wrong than right about the details. This is how we learn.

But Trump's Wall is still a pretty stupid idea.

Honorary Commander, 699th Airborne Assault Dachshund Regiment
Deadly Sausage Dogs from the Sky

tek

Post by tek » Mon Jul 16, 2018 2:28 pm

Gregg wrote:
Mon Jul 16, 2018 1:38 pm
Thank you, and I'm sorry for my gross oversimplification of history. I knew it was a bit more complicated than I said, but I was using a little poetic license. I didn't know that I was more wrong than right about the details. This is how we learn.

But Trump's Wall is still a pretty stupid idea.
And Trump doesn't learn.

Digging the snow and the rain and the bright sunshine.

woodworker

Post by woodworker » Mon Jul 16, 2018 7:08 pm

May has apparently caved into the brexit hard liners, rumors that Minister of Defense, who voted against the hard liners amendments, has resigned.

Pence / Haley -- 2020 "I Won't Call Her Mother" and "We Will Be The Best Team Ever, But Never Alone Together"

TollandRCR

Post by TollandRCR » Wed Jul 18, 2018 1:19 pm

If the news about May’s captture is eddtrue, the U.K. needs a new PM. Not Boris JOhnson. Maybe David Cameron?l again.

“The truth is, we know so little about life, we don’t really know what the good news is and what the bad news is.” Kurt Vonnegut

Hercule Parrot

Post by Hercule Parrot » Sun Jul 29, 2018 6:08 am

Report of Parliamentary investigation into rigging of the Brexit Vote

When the scandal erupted, it was the DCMS committee that became the unofficial and impromptu investigating authority. The US has special counsel Robert Mueller leading its inquiry into the Donald Trump campaign’s links to Russia. Britain had a cross-party group of 12 MPs: random amateurs with no expert training who stepped up and led an inquiry that has been public, open and asking more and more difficult questions. Crucially, it has refused to take no for an answer.

Today it publishes its first blockbuster 89-page report (another is due in the autumn), and it looks as if the actions of what the Washington Post calls the “plucky little panel” will come to be seen as a watershed moment in the history of Silicon Valley.

The report sets out in great detail what is known about fake news, data targeting, Cambridge Analytica, Facebook and Russian interference, and issues a set of demands that includes new regulation, legislation, codes of ethics and police investigations. It calls for “algorithmic auditing”: for the heavily guarded secrets of the tech companies’ “black boxes” to be smashed open. And for a digital version of Ofcom that would make companies legally liable for harmful or illegal content.

Article link : https://www.theguardian.com/politics/20 ... ook-brexit

direct link to report : https://publications.parliament.uk/pa/c ... 63/363.pdf

Guardian summary of key points is here :
► Show Spoiler

Lani

Post by Lani » Sun Jul 29, 2018 6:22 am

And yet the UK continues to move towards exiting the EU, and we have Trump as president.

Insert signature here: ____________________________________________________

Hercule Parrot

Post by Hercule Parrot » Sun Jul 29, 2018 8:02 am

Lani wrote:
Sun Jul 29, 2018 6:22 am
And yet the UK continues to move towards exiting the EU, and we have Trump as president.
I am notoriously optimistic in such matters, but I believe the journey to Brexit may yet be halted.

Our government and Parliament is paralysed, after all this time there is no clear plan or majority for how to achieve Brexit. Excepting some national emergency coalition development, it does not seem likely that any viable consensus will emerge. Nor that whatever we invented would be acceptable to the EU. We face the prospect of a hard Brexit with devastating impact upon the economy.

Combined with this, the legitimacy of the Brexit referendum is now badly damaged. And the pressure for a second vote to ratify the terms of Brexit is growing. As every year passes, about 1m elderly voters die and 1m young voters arrive. It would not be unthinkable that the results would be quite different now.

Hard-line Brexiteers know this, and they're trying to maintain momentum towards the cliff edge. But as David Davis remarked - “If a democracy cannot change its mind, it ceases to be a democracy”. There is now an openly-stated campaign for a second vote.

I cannot say it is likely to be successful yet, but at this point we have maybe a 10% chance of stopping this. If the second vote campaign grows over Summer, if influential leaders continue to state their support for it, we might yet avert the disaster. :pray:

TollandRCR

Post by TollandRCR » Sun Jul 29, 2018 8:22 am

The conservatives seem committed to BREXIT, hard or soft. I have little sympathy for this position, as the economics of their positiom seem dire. May apparently tried for the soft option but is now a hard option politician. This makes no sense to me

“The truth is, we know so little about life, we don’t really know what the good news is and what the bad news is.” Kurt Vonnegut

fierceredpanda
Location: BAR Headquarters - Turn left past the picture of King George III

Post by fierceredpanda » Sun Jul 29, 2018 8:29 am

TollandRCR wrote:
Sun Jul 29, 2018 8:22 am
The conservatives seem committed to BREXIT, hard or soft. I have little sympathy for this position, as the economics of their positiom seem dire. May apparently tried for the soft option but is now a hard option politician. This makes no sense to me
It also doesn't help that the Leader of the Opposition is, at best, ambivalent about the EU, and at worst an out-and-out Brexiteer. May at least has a good political reason to do what she's doing; namely, that she'd be dumped in favor of BoJo, Rees-Mogg, Redwood, or some other such demagogue if she were to point out the blindingly obvious fact that this isn't going to work.

By the way, the last two years have made me even more angry at the LibDems for joining the coalition with Cameron and destroying themselves in the process. Nick Clegg was and still is one of the few articulate Remainers, but he sold himself and his party out in 2010, so no one listens to him anymore.

"There's no play here. There's no angle. There's no champagne room. I'm not a miracle worker, I'm a janitor. The math on this is simple; the smaller the mess, the easier it is for me to clean up." -Michael Clayton

Return to “International Culture & Current Events”