Saudi Arabia

tencats

Re: Saudi Arabia

Post by tencats » Wed Feb 28, 2018 5:29 am

Saudi High Command fired by King over Yemen Quagmire
Feb. 27, 2018 | By Juan Cole | (Informed Comment) |
The Saudi cabinet, chaired by King Salman, on Monday evening fired army chief of staff and several prominent officers, forcing them into retirement. The government offered no explanation for the seismic upheaval in the Saudi officer corps, but it was widely believed that the palace is impatient with the quagmire in the three-year-long Yemen war, which has created a the worst humanitarian crisis in the world in that country.

Yemen has become such a scandal for the Saudi royal family that crown prince Muhammad Bin Salman, widely thought to be the real power behind the throne, has not been able firmly to set a visit to Britain, allegedly because his publicity flacks fear massive demonstrations in London against his prosecution of the Yemen War. MbS himself is thought to have launched that war in spring of 2015. He then went on vacation in an island location and cut off his communications, leaving the US Department of Defense unable to contact him with urgent questions. The Saudi intervention was impelled by the coup made in fall 2014-winter 2015 by the Helpers of God (Houthi) guerrilla movement and its attempt to take over all of Yemen in partnership with troops loyal to the deposed former president, Ali Abdullah Saleh.

Some reasons for which the Saudi war effort has so far failed:

1. Muhammad Bin Salman thought that he could wage an air war against a rural guerrilla movement. In other words, he is insisting on repeating all the mistakes of the US military in Vietnam all over again. And at least the US did send in 500,000 troops. The Saudis and their allies have sent in very few.

Continue reading at https://www.juancole.com/2018/02/saudi- ... gmire.html

Volkonski

Post by Volkonski » Tue Mar 20, 2018 3:08 pm

Saudi crown prince begins US trip as allies share concerns about Trump

Mohammed bin Salman hopes to seal major business deals during a three-week tour but the failure of his relationship with Jared Kushner to deliver progress on Middle East peace and Iran has left him exposed

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2018/ ... 1521538680
Ahead of his first visit to Washington as heir to the Saudi throne, Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman has been warned to set a distance between himself and Donald Trump, who some regional advisers have come to regard as volatile and unpredictable.

The US president will receive Prince Mohammed in the White House on Tuesday during a reciprocal visit after Trump’s high-profile trip to Saudi Arabia last May when – on his first trip abroad as leader – he reset bilateral ties, which had become strained under Barack Obama.

The White House meeting marks the beginning of a three-week, seven-city trip to the US, in which Prince Mohammed will travel with an entourage of officials and business leaders, seeking to strike deals with Silicon Valley firms and oil and gas companies in Texas.

:snippity:

However, as Trump and Kushner face mounting travails on the home front, regional allies – initially buoyed by Washington’s renewed support – are now striking a cautionary tone to the Saudi prince.
Image“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.”
― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace

RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 » Tue Mar 20, 2018 7:11 pm

Volkonski wrote:
Tue Mar 20, 2018 3:08 pm

Saudi crown prince begins US trip as allies share concerns about Trump

Mohammed bin Salman hopes to seal major business deals during a three-week tour but the failure of his relationship with Jared Kushner to deliver progress on Middle East peace and Iran has left him exposed

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2018/ ... 1521538680
Ahead of his first visit to Washington as heir to the Saudi throne, Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman has been warned to set a distance between himself and Donald Trump, who some regional advisers have come to regard as volatile and unpredictable.
:snippity:
Surprize, surprize ... :o :think:

Volkonski

Post by Volkonski » Thu Mar 22, 2018 6:10 pm

The Associated Press

Verified account

@AP
Follow
Follow @AP

More
BREAKING: Trump administration approves $1 billion arms sale to Saudi Arabia, including more than 6,500 missiles.

TollandRCR

Post by TollandRCR » Thu Mar 22, 2018 6:13 pm

What the Saudi regime needs is small arms to protect itself against its citizens. Missiles are, hopefully, an utter waste.
“The truth is, we know so little about life, we don’t really know what the good news is and what the bad news is.” Kurt Vonnegut

RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 » Sun Mar 25, 2018 11:14 am

TollandRCR wrote:
Thu Mar 22, 2018 6:13 pm
What the Saudi regime needs is small arms to protect itself against its citizens. Missiles are, hopefully, an utter waste.
But they can be sold under the pretense of protecting against the really really bad Iranians....

Mr Brolin

Post by Mr Brolin » Sun Mar 25, 2018 11:58 am

The "Kinder in der Schokoladenfabrik" grab of militaria, multiple and various by the Wahabi'ists is more likely a top up of expended ordnance in the 2+ year "Yemen" intervention led by the Saudi's.

After all, those airstrikes on refugee camps, Oxfam aid warehouses and Médecins Sans Frontières medical facilities aren't going to happen on their own...

Flatpointhigh
Occupation: Voice Actor, Podcaster, I hold a Ph.D in Procrastination.

Post by Flatpointhigh » Mon Mar 26, 2018 5:06 pm

The Riyadh Airport was shelled, and one person has died as a result of the missile barrage

My Name is...
Daffy Duck.. woo hoo!
Cancer broke me

RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 » Mon Mar 26, 2018 10:37 pm

Flatpointhigh wrote:
Mon Mar 26, 2018 5:06 pm
The Riyadh Airport was shelled, and one person has died as a result of the missile barrage
It seems from a video clip I have seen that one Patriot missile malfunctioned and redirected itself to ground where it exploded. Seems that other missiles may have intercepted but debris reached poplated areas.

Kendra

Post by Kendra » Sat Mar 31, 2018 9:36 am

https://www.seattletimes.com/business/b ... tle-visit/

Some bits on the Seattle visit this weekend by the Crown Prince for those interested. Nice to see Seattle mayor and WA governor are too busy to meet with him ;)

One little tid-bit that stood out for me:
:snippity: Coinciding with his visit, multiple media accounts report that a 97-page glossy magazine promoting the crown prince has turned up on shelves in unlikely parts of the U.S., such as a Walmart in rural New Hampshire.

Entirely free of ads, the advertorial-style magazine is published by American Media, the Florida-based tabloid publisher headed by President Donald Trump’s friend David Pecker. :snippity:

Flatpointhigh

Post by Flatpointhigh » Mon Apr 02, 2018 12:56 am

Kendra wrote:
Sat Mar 31, 2018 9:36 am
https://www.seattletimes.com/business/b ... tle-visit/

Some bits on the Seattle visit this weekend by the Crown Prince for those interested. Nice to see Seattle mayor and WA governor are too busy to meet with him ;)

One little tid-bit that stood out for me:
:snippity: Coinciding with his visit, multiple media accounts report that a 97-page glossy magazine promoting the crown prince has turned up on shelves in unlikely parts of the U.S., such as a Walmart in rural New Hampshire.

Entirely free of ads, the advertorial-style magazine is published by American Media, the Florida-based tabloid publisher headed by President Donald Trump’s friend David Pecker. :snippity:
Well, imgaine that...

My Name is...
Daffy Duck.. woo hoo!
Cancer broke me

Suranis

Post by Suranis » Mon Apr 02, 2018 6:16 pm

https://twitter.com/mehdirhasan/status/ ... 8491122689
Mehdi Hasan
‏Verified account @mehdirhasan

My favourite part of the MBS interview in the @TheAtlantic. This made me LOL so hard

The Trump style of answering is crossed the Race, Religion, and Atlantic boundaries.
Learn to Swear in Latin. Profanity with class!
https://blogs.transparent.com/latin/lat ... -in-latin/

Addie

Post by Addie » Tue Apr 03, 2018 11:54 am

The New Yorker: A Saudi Prince’s Quest to Remake the Middle East

In his work with the White House, is Mohammed bin Salman driving out extremism, or merely seizing power for himself?
Democracy is a garden that has to be tended. -Barack Obama

Addie

Post by Addie » Sat Apr 21, 2018 5:11 pm

Jerusalem Post
Report: Gunfire outside King's home in Saudi Arabia

Gunfire and explosions have been reported outside the home of the Saudi king in Riyadh, the country's capital. Sources on Twitter have posted photos and videos of the situation and have said that the gunfire is part of a coup attempt. The king has reportedly been evacuated.

The Jerusalem Post has not been able to independently verify these claims.

This is a developing story.

Addie

Post by Addie » Sat Apr 21, 2018 5:13 pm

Addie

Post by Addie » Sat Apr 21, 2018 5:16 pm

Associated Press
Saudi Security Forces Shoot Down Small Drone

DUBAI—Saudi Arabian security forces shot down a small drone flying over a neighborhood in the kingdom’s capital on Saturday, state media reported, after online videos circulated purporting to offer the sound of small-arms fire in the area.

The state-run Saudi Press Agency wrote on Twitter that an investigation into the incident was under way.

Fear over a drone isn’t unfounded for Saudi Arabia. In Yemen, Shiite rebels and their allies fighting against a Saudi-led coalition have used bomb-carrying drones and flown others into the kingdom’s Patriot missile batteries.

The Saudi-led coalition and weapons analysts have said evidence suggests Iran supplies those drones, as well as light weapons and ballistic-missile technology, to the rebels. Iran has denied providing arms to the rebels, while criticizing the U.S. for largely arming the Saudi-led coalition.

TollandRCR

Post by TollandRCR » Sat Apr 21, 2018 7:44 pm

That was a lot of gunfire for one toy airplane.
“The truth is, we know so little about life, we don’t really know what the good news is and what the bad news is.” Kurt Vonnegut

RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 » Fri May 04, 2018 7:32 pm

Saudi Arabia, Vatican reportedly agree to build Christian churches in the Kingdom
By Caleb Parke | Fox News

Saudi Arabia reportedly agreed to a historic deal with the Vatican to build Christian churches in the Kingdom, a potentially stunning development for the country that's home to Islam’s holiest site, Middle Eastern media is reporting.

The move would continue the nation’s effort to transition to a “moderate Islam.”

Sheikh Mohammed bin Abdel Karim Al-Issa of the Muslim World League and Cardinal Jean-Louis Tauran, president of the Vatican’s Pontifical Council for Inter-religious Dialogue, allegedly signed the agreement April 14, according to the Egyptian Independent.

Under the agreement, a joint committee with representatives from both parties will also be established to organize future meetings, which will alternate between Rome and a city chosen by the Islamic World League.

http://www.foxnews.com/world/2018/05/04 ... ngdom.html

TollandRCR

Post by TollandRCR » Sat May 05, 2018 1:38 am

Very good. I hope it happens. Islam and Christianity have much to teach each other.

Notorial Dissent

Post by Notorial Dissent » Sat May 05, 2018 1:48 am

I can't believe the religious police are down with that.
The fact that you sincerely and wholeheartedly believe that the “Law of Gravity” is unconstitutional and a violation of your sovereign rights, does not absolve you of adherence to it.

Flatpointhigh

Post by Flatpointhigh » Sun May 06, 2018 8:40 pm

Notorial Dissent wrote:
Sat May 05, 2018 1:48 am
I can't believe the religious police are down with that.
As long as the Catherdral spires aren't taller than the Minaret of a Mosque, they'll be just fine with ht

My Name is...
Daffy Duck.. woo hoo!
Cancer broke me

Volkonski

Post by Volkonski » Fri May 18, 2018 6:56 pm

İyad el-Baghdadi | إياد البغدادي

@iyad_elbaghdadi
27m
Replying to @iyad_elbaghdadi
UPDATE: We now have confirmation that the "7 persons" arrested does indeed include 5 women's rights activists: Aisha AlMana, Madeha AlAjroush, Aziza Al Yousef, Eman Al Najfan, Loujain Al Hathloul. The regime is accusing them of treason.

İyad el-Baghdadi | إياد البغدادي

@iyad_elbaghdadi
MBS has just arrested the country's most prominent and respected women's rights activists and is charging them with *treason*.

5:28 PM - May 18, 2018
MBS = Mohammed bin Salman.

RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 » Sat May 19, 2018 1:18 pm

Did any WH journalist ask Sanders what the dotus reaction is?
► Show Spoiler

HST's Ghost

Post by HST's Ghost » Fri Aug 10, 2018 8:43 pm

This thread from İyad el-Baghdadi has a good overview of this Canada v SA tiff:

Here's a brief overview from Vox also:
The Saudi Arabia-Canada fight, explained in under 600 words
A short guide to why Saudi Arabia is waging a diplomatic war on Canada.
https://www.vox.com/2018/8/8/17665182/s ... mar-badawi
Either give me more wine or leave me alone. - Rumi

HST's Ghost

Post by HST's Ghost » Sun Oct 07, 2018 1:56 am

Well...I thought of posting this in Breaking News but apparently the VP can only focus on criticizing one authoritarian regime at a time. In what world is this acceptable? Oh yeah, this strange new one...
Saudi journalist 'killed inside consulate' – Turkish sources
Jamal Khashoggi, a critic of Riyadh, had gone to the building in Istanbul seeking documents for his marriage

Turkish officials believe that missing Saudi journalist Jamal Khashoggi was killed inside the Saudi consulate in Istanbul and his body later driven from the compound.

Authorities say they believe Khashoggi’s death was premeditated and that Saudi officials had travelled to Istanbul from Riyadh after receiving word that the high-profile critic of the current Saudi leadership planned to visit the consulate.

In an evening of quickfire developments, following four days of silence since his disappearance, officials in Ankara pledged to on Sunday release evidence that they say supports claims that the journalist was killed shortly after he entered the consulate to sign divorce papers. The evidence is expected to include video footage and focus on a black car.

Two Turkish officials claimed to Reuters that Khashoggi, 59, had been killed. The Reuters claim was circulated by a government spokesman, and confirmed by numerous other officials, some of whom claimed to have knowledge of how the body had been disposed of. Several officials alleged, without tabling evidence, that Khashoggi had first been tortured.

Officials believe that a team of 15 Saudis arrived on Tuesday to conduct the killing, then left the country soon afterwards.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2018/ ... sh-sources

He had a regular column in The Guardian and Washington Post, so obviously those 15 Saudis came to Turkey to check out some ruins but...
Either give me more wine or leave me alone. - Rumi

Return to “International Culture & Current Events”